Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,514
Reaction score
39,584
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Doing for December 7 now (thanks for the template!)

Shoseki Rankings for December 7 (Rank in parentheses was for December 6)
1 (2). Boku no Hero Academia V25
3 (1). Kimetsu no Yaiba V18
10 (8). Act-Age V9
27 (11). Jigokuraku V8 (Jump+)
42 (33). Yuragi-sou V19
53 (41). Hinomaru V28
68 (53). Ao no Flag V7 (Jump+)
83 (65). BnHA Vigilante V8 (Jump+)
112 (60). Dosanko Gyaru V1 (Jump+)
135 (85). Boukyaku Battery V6 (Jump+)
209 (142). Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui V3
243 (135). Shijinsou no Satsujin V1 (Jump+)

Dorei Yuugi, Arata Primal and Romantic Killer are out of Top 500.
Thank you for doing this! I, uh, may have went right to the Champion page to do the rankings for the new manga there (newbie volumes were out and so wanted to see how they did) before abruptly falling asleep. 😅
Dosanko Gyaru looks like it’s here to stay, and I’m hoping it eventually comes to MangaPlus!

EDIT: Changed from “doing well on MangaPlus” to “eventually comes to MangaPlus”. That was a mistake.

I honestly wonder how Gyaru manga have become such a massive trend lately.
Dunno. Though Gyaru was late to the party, compared to some others. XD Granted, I can now replace a certain other manga with this one for my gal romcom lineup.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Am I the only one feeling right now the 2018 trio is constantly being the best manga from the magazine?

Both Act-age, Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsawman are in a constant status of amazing chapter after amazing chapter. I'd say the closest manga in perfomance after these 3 right now would be Dr.Stone and Black Clover.
 

wothab

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
267
Age
32
Country
Brazil
Am I the only one feeling right now the 2018 trio is constantly being the best manga from the magazine?

Both Act-age, Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsawman are in a constant status of amazing chapter after amazing chapter. I'd say the closest manga in perfomance after these 3 right now would be Dr.Stone and Black Clover.
Nah you are not the only one, that trio has a lot of potential to be magazine centerpieces.
Interesting stories, adaptation of tropes, remarkable characters.
For 2019 I would say that jigoraku and SxF are also solid, alas they are on +.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Agravity Boys is a hot mess. I don't recall a debut that has lacked so much direction by the end of the first chapter. What's the story even supposed to be about, anymore? Props to the localization team at Viz Media, though ; even though I decidedly didn't like the first chapter overall, there were a few lines that were so well delivered that they got a genuine laugh out of me. I feel like that was thanks to the execution of the translation.

Tokyo Shinobi Squad's ending left something to be desired, but I really liked En's timeskip design and I wish that the developments of the last three chapters happened ten chapters ago. If TSS hadn't gotten so aimless around the middle, it may have been more worth saving.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree with everyone that said Agravity Boys was meh.
Any of you guys think that the twist will be that nuclear war never happened and it’s all a social experiment done by whatever their government is to see if human can do-exist in a post-civilization world? Unless extra-dimensional beings just exist in this universe
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I agree with everyone that said Agravity Boys was meh.
Any of you guys think that the twist will be that nuclear war never happened and it’s all a social experiment done by whatever their government is to see if human can do-exist in a post-civilization world? Unless extra-dimensional beings just exist in this universe
That would actually both be a fantastic twist that would explain a lot of things, and a terrible one because it would mean the entire story in-universe would be literally just a waste of time.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree with everyone that said Agravity Boys was meh.
Any of you guys think that the twist will be that nuclear war never happened and it’s all a social experiment done by whatever their government is to see if human can do-exist in a post-civilization world? Unless extra-dimensional beings just exist in this universe
I think you've just figured out the only way I could end up loving this series. A reveal, 10-20 chapters later, that these four idiots have just been failing test after test put forward in secret by their government.

I don't know if I have faith in that actually being what happens in this series, though. Playing the long game like that is such a risky move for a Jump manga. You can always get cancelled before you reach that kind of payoff, and there might not be anyone left reading by the time you do.
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Mitama has once again delivered a fantastic chapter. I'm rooting for its success with all my force and I really hope it sells decently. It's my favourite series from all the batches that started in 2019.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I actually cannot believe how much I'm enjoying Mitama. I though the first chapter was... fine, but nothing that I cared about. However, I really liked the ghosts and the imagery of the line following Rena, so I kept reading. And the author noticed what potential the manga had, and developed the ghosts into distinct character, and the series got exponentially better for me. It's one of the things I'm looking forward the most every week!
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Mitama took a few chapters to stick with me, but it has been consistently on a roll for me for basically the last 2 month's worth of issues. I think I'm liking it more than Yozakura now. The main problem I'm starting to have with Yozakura is that it's starting to introduce too many characters that are psychotically obsessed with the girl. I get that her genes are valuable, but each one of them is a literal psycho, none are the cool/collected type of villain or anything else.

Agravity Boys was pretty dull. It's going to be hard for the series to work when 3 of the 4 guys act obnoxious in the exact same manner, and then there's just one effeminate-looking straight man. Zipman is still weird to me. The twins' relationship feels very unnatural to me, and I just find myself bored going through the chapter. I'm enjoying the previous duo more than these two.

Out of the 4 series that concluded recently, Double Taisei definitely had the most satisfying and conclusive ended. Nothing really felt rushed, and basically everything was nicely concluded.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
TSS bites the dust
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Agravity Boys was incredible and even the cute little flowery background accents for my husbando Saga *swoons from perfect boyfriend material* hold me.

Truly it is the BL content that JUMP needs more of heart. Still smiling.
Me except with Chris. :blushbirb
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
So, with WNL looking to end, any comments on what you think another romance manga needs to succeed/what you'd like to see?
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Okay, so I’m reading Agravity Boys right now and I have one question: They went through a black hole, right? How in the fuck are they not atomized, or a mess of atoms floating around in space?

I’m still reading it, but that stood out to me.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Feel like the most important thing with a romcom is that the characters are likable and have good chemistry, if they don't people won't want to read about them just spending time together which is such a huge chunk of what is covered in romcoms. As for what I'd want to see, I dunno, just something to fill the hole in my heart that We Never Learn will leave when it ends.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Today I discovered Jujutsu Kaisen is being licensed in Brazil, and I just realized I don't know what Jujutsu Kaisen means. Same with Kimetsu no Yaiba, since I know Demon Slayer is not a literal translation. Can anyone inform me what these names really mean in english?
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For JuJutsu Kaisen I’ve seen Sorcery Battles thrown around.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,514
Reaction score
39,584
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Based on the sadness on Jump's post about TSS final chapter, seems like many people will miss it after all

Okay, so I’m reading Agravity Boys right now and I have one question: They went through a black hole, right? How in the fuck are they not atomized, or a mess of atoms floating around in space?

I’m still reading it, but that stood out to me.
Ehh it's a manga, a sci-fi manga, that's why
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top