Moderator Notice: Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.
These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei
Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi
GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
I kinda got burned out. I think Oda over-extended the series. Oda is insanely talented at telling and extending stories, but there's always a limit, which is why most long-runners worsen over time. I think One Piece has 20-30 volumes that could have been cut-out. Would have improved the pace of the story.
The hiatus also affects the sales. It's rare for a series to be stable, let alone increase sales when it takes many unpredictable breaks.
Strawhats desperately need more impactful moments. I can't remember the last sad moment or the last time I rooted for a character that wasn't Luffy.
Oda still has interesting story points, but the series doesn't give that same feel it had before the timeskip.
To give a little more context: in a 1998 interview, Togashi said his favorite manga was Ansatsu Kyoshitsu. So I wasn't sure if it was a translation mistake, or Togashi's a time traveler.
Maybe got to the bottom of it. Pretty sure it's Hyoryu Kyoshitsu (Drifting Classroom).
And that would make sense because Takeuchi said she watched it all in an afternoon, which confused me if they were talking about manga, but the series got a film adaptation in 1987.
These are reasons why I think the sales went down and don't attract new readers. That was the question asked. I never said that One Piece is doing bad compared to other series or that it's in any danger. It's like you didn't read what I quoted, why so defensive?
I've always suspected that the whole "you have to read it from the beginning" philosophy was caused by the degree to which pirated manga was made available in the west, rather than causing it. When the back issues are so prevalent and at no cost, there's less reason to avoid them, and it's a way for gatekeeping "fans" to decide who get to be their "peers".
I have no hard data for this, granted, but I suspect it's treated much like Marvel/DC long-runners are treated in the US. Nobody expects somebody who wants to read X-Men comics should go back nearly 60 years now and peruse every issue. You just take the basics: mutants good, prejudice bad, Wolverine claws bub. Then you find a story arc that kinda grabs you and you go from there. They're written so you can pick 'em up just about wherever, and it might take an issue or three to figure out the dynamics, but it's not long before you get the hang of it and and can decide to go back and fill in the gaps at your own pace.
And heck, I've done this with Jump series. Buranchi (probably much to his chagrin) can back up that I didn't really start reading Toriko in earnest until close to the last arc. And don't get me wrong, it took me a little while to understand exactly who the characters were and whatnot, but it wasn't like I couldn't just kinda jump (no pun intended) in when I felt like it and feel "caught up" just reading new stuff.
In some ways, it's hard for me to imagine the same might be the case for One Piece, since I've been reading it for so long, but I suspect that's just personal bias. Some 12-year-old Japanese boy who's buying his first issue of Jump after seeing all the big kids get excited over it isn't going to have to, or feel especially compelled to, go back to 1997 and start from there. He just wants to read the cool new funnybook.
That may be true for comic books and even pre-timeskip OP, but jumping into something like Wano and keeping track of everything would be pretty difficult. Heck, even for a caught-up casual reader is probably hard. It's probably why OP youtubers thrive more than for any other manga. At this point hearing other peoples thoughts is almost neccesary to keep track of everything.
I mean honestly, where do you even jump in? Because to be honest jumping in at basically any point post-timeskip means you basically already missed all character development throughout the series as well as a huge chunk of worldbuilding which makes it pretty hard to get invested in the series.
so I was thinking now that M+ eic joined twitter, and he tweets in English, can't we just ask him for things Mangaplus normally ignore like oneshots and the 2 new miniseries?
if you're gonna do this be nice and respectful
ASK HIM ON MONDAY WHEN THE MAGAZINE ACTUALLY COMES OUT!
Voted for other on the poll, the one thing I am really looking forward to is an eventual serialization by Atsuhiro Kudou. Big fan of his one shots and his miniseries, but he needs to get a proper serialization.
Yuki Kawaguchi (Kiraboshi no Meryl) - Meryl was something that caught off my attention in the first look. I absoluted loved Yuki's art style and when I finished the one-shot the experience was actually really cool! I liked it so much that I was willing to translate the one-shot but didn't have the time to really do it lol.
Reiya Machida (Gisou Buden) - Again, another art style that invited me in the first look. Different of Meryl tho, which is a bit more experimental art wise, this one got a space in my memory because of the old-school vibes. Chapter itself is nothing really unique or anything. Old man and kid MC lead, training... but, everything is so charming? Tbh tho it would work better in Champion than WSJ but if Reiya got any serialization I would be happy regardless.
Momoda Sobasuke (Kakuremi) - Kakuremi was the reason I started to download every WSJ issue to take a look at the one-shots. Beautiful art-style and super fun main duo (Especially the main girl, she is awesome <3).
a fellow Kawaguchi-billed patrician? I tip my fedora to you
Kakuremi is probably the best oneshot from last year, I really think it will get a series eventually
however Momota Ryosuke is 17, this manga ain't happening any time soon
Episode 15 got another rating of over 4.0, totalling 9 out of 14 episodes (episode 1 was not rated because of the delay) that had ratings over or equal to 4.0. The series has pretty much become a staple.
I'm not really surprised that episode got a high rating. It was, after all, the episode that premiered the new OP and ED. I think there's a decent bit of hype surrounding the arc, thanks to Jirou being a popular dark horse. I'm rooting for Bones to give her VA an original song and give her a popularity jump, since this could be her big break if everything goes right.
This was kinda the actual reason I was asking about how intently people follow OP. I notice that, generally, it's the older users who joined when the series was at its hottest around Marineford or so who talk about how intently the series is part of them. Meanwhile, people like me who joined around the launch of Manga+ generally either treat it as a passing interest, or quickly burnt out on it due to both the sheer length and the increasing narrative compression being overwhelming. It's an interesting contrast I feel.
I tried getting into OP around that arc (read it from all the way back and finished within three days). While Marineford was amazing, I always thought that looking at the work as a whole, it's simply gotten too large for its own good. Most of all, it's biggest weakness is when a SH gets their arc, they just fall off immediately from the story, instead of constantly developing throughout the story. It's pretty clear this is another Dragon Ball influence where the whole thing is just the Goku (and Vegeta) show. This might not be a problem for older readers. But for the new generation, they want a balanced cast.
I tried getting into OP around that arc (read it from all the way back and finished within three days). While Marineford was amazing, I always thought that looking at the work as a whole, it's simply gotten too large for its own good. Most of all, it's biggest weakness is when a SH gets their arc, they just fall off immediately from the story, instead of constantly developing throughout the story. It's pretty clear this is another Dragon Ball influence where the whole thing is just the Goku (and Vegeta) show. This might not be a problem for older readers. But for the new generation, they want a balanced cast.
Pre-time skip, I think there was a genuine attempt to balance out the Straw Hats. Its just that, after the time skip, the series instead became more interested in dozens of other characters, while the Straw Hats get seperated and usually get maybe a token fight scene. Even when Sanji gets an arc about him, he immediently reverts to comic relief once it's over with no signs of the emotional impact the event had on him. It's cheap, lazy writing.
Pre-time skip, I think there was a genuine attempt to balance out the Straw Hats. Its just that, after the time skip, the series instead became more interested in dozens of other characters, while the Straw Hats get seperated and usually get maybe a token fight scene. Even when Sanji gets an arc about him, he immediently reverts to comic relief once it's over with no signs of the emotional impact the event had on him. It's cheap, lazy writing.
That's the thing about each of the SH's development. It never feels like they actually grew from each of their respective arcs. One could argue those arcs are simply meant to resolve their inner conflicts, but there's just a sense of dissonance from their character developments, if one could call it that.
Pre-time skip, I think there was a genuine attempt to balance out the Straw Hats. Its just that, after the time skip, the series instead became more interested in dozens of other characters, while the Straw Hats get seperated and usually get maybe a token fight scene. Even when Sanji gets an arc about him, he immediently reverts to comic relief once it's over with no signs of the emotional impact the event had on him. It's cheap, lazy writing.
Spy and Chainsaw getting on bookstore list is huge. Definitely will see a boost. Bookstores will give them a small section (free ads) to display the manga
I've heard that due to its slot being right after other superpopular shows, you can't directly attribute it's popularity to an increase of fans. Aka people stay on the television since they might as well, if BNHA is following what they came to watch.
That's just my theory as to why manga sales are stagnating but anime viewership is objectively growing.
MHA is before Conan. While I get the argument, MHA S4 has had a lot more fluctuation in its numbers when compared to Conan, which gets the same ratings almost every week. Obviously there are people that watch it now because of the joint time slot, but that's only a share.
Honestly that's a bad mentality to have. The "finish it because it's there" mentality. Might as well never read it in that case.
I tend to think the proper way to read it is, read the first few chapters to see if you like it, and if you enjoy it, you naturally keep reading.
Honestly, I could read it in about a week if I really wanted to and really tried to because I can read manga considerably fast, but I would have to dedicate a lot of time to do that and while I could do it in a longer period of time, I tend to get bored and forget about it if I don't read/watch stuff in one go. Besides that, it doesn't help when lots of people say post timeskip stuff is a massive letdown when compared to the stuff that happens before.
Unless they have a lot of faith in Mitama, they probably have a standard first print they give to new series. Sadly, we don't have access to those numbers.
I'm not really surprised that episode got a high rating. It was, after all, the episode that premiered the new OP and ED. I think there's a decent bit of hype surrounding the arc, thanks to Jirou being a popular dark horse. I'm rooting for Bones to give her VA an original song and give her a popularity jump, since this could be her big break if everything goes right.
I have hopes they will do that. A great song would elevate that moment by a lot and Jirou's VA can sing so it would be a win. Also, seeing how Umakoshi made the key visual for this arc (which is the best one the series has ever had BY FAR, but it's Umakoshi so it's a given), he might be more involved so we might get some good stuff in the performance too.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Special Reprints Information - 1/30
2/20 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 19
2/26 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 15~18
2/27 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 1~14
Those reprints are going to come in quite handy. Crossing fingers for a boost in sales for the new volumes.
MHA is before Conan. While I get the argument, MHA S4 has had a lot more fluctuation in its numbers when compared to Conan, which gets the same ratings almost every week. Obviously there are people that watch it now because of the joint time slot, but that's only a share.
Honestly, I could read it in about a week if I really wanted to and really tried to because I can read manga considerably fast, but I would have to dedicate a lot of time to do that and while I could do it in a longer period of time, I tend to get bored and forget about it if I don't read/watch stuff in one go. Besides that, it doesn't help when lots of people say post timeskip stuff is a massive letdown when compared to the stuff that happens before.
Unless they have a lot of faith in Mitama, they probably have a standard first print they give to new series. Sadly, we don't have access to those numbers.
I love Horikoshi and his love for referencing.
I have hopes they will do that. A great song would elevate that moment by a lot and Jirou's VA can sing so it would be a win. Also, seeing how Umakoshi made the key visual for this arc (which is the best one the series has ever had BY FAR, but it's Umakoshi so it's a given), he might be more involved so we might get some good stuff in the performance too.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Special Reprints Information - 1/30
2/20 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 19
2/26 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 15~18
2/27 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 1~14
I have hopes they will do that. A great song would elevate that moment by a lot and Jirou's VA can sing so it would be a win. Also, seeing how Umakoshi made the key visual for this arc (which is the best one the series has ever had BY FAR, but it's Umakoshi so it's a given), he might be more involved so we might get some good stuff in the performance too.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Special Reprints Information - 1/30
2/20 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 19
2/26 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 15~18
2/27 - Kimetsu no Yaiba 1~14
I wouldn't be surprised if Shindou's (Jirou's VA) agency also pushed for it. They're definitely aware of the implications if they play this right. Plus, they had one and a half years to prepare for it (2 if you count it all the way to the episode).
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.