Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,454
Reaction score
39,350
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I should clarify, I meant the idea of "wanting to hint at a character's personality through the meanings of their name" was good. Using the name for victims of a war crime for someone who perpetrates those very same crimes is the bad execution of it. My apologies! ^^'
Apparently the name can also mean round/fat, which fits his appearance. But the fact that it’s the one of the few characters who does experimentation gives me pause.

I’ll stop talking about it here, lest I get branded a “parasite” by Ice.
 

mangaman93

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 2, 2019
Messages
25
Reaction score
46
Age
32
Country
India
I am probably the only guy who liked the first chapter of mashle more than the second. The first chapter though cliche felt okay. The second chapter on the other hand is too predictable, they should have at fleshed out the tests rather than just say. He somehow managed.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Tanjiro had nothing special in the beginning of kimetsu no yaiba too, and even then the manga became a phenomenon (even thanks to the anime).
Your criticism is the kind of thing that many stories improve over time.

And you talk about Black clover, but remember that in the beginning, the manga was very hated. I know because I was one of the people who always defended Black clover.
I’m only judging the first chapter as it stands. Idk how it’ll be in 10 chapters.

But as of now I think it’s bland. Not just for one of those things listed, but the combination of all of it.

Even if Tanjirou himself was bland in the first chapter of Demon Slayer, one thing that stuck out for it was the artstyle, and character designs, like his checkered jacket and scar.

What makes this guy bland imo is his generic design, generic backstory, and his already good at what he does. I get Kirito vibes from him
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Some guesses for the future:
-Is possible that not more serialization rounds until issue 32-33. I'll bet the manga ending would be 1-2 veterans and only 1 axe
-No more gags for now in future serialization rounds
-A romcom or a spokon (or both of them) should appear in next serialization round.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I’m only judging the first chapter as it stands. Idk how it’ll be in 10 chapters.

But as of now I think it’s bland. Not just for one of those things listed, but the combination of all of it.

Even if Tanjirou himself was bland in the first chapter of Demon Slayer, one thing that stuck out for it was the artstyle, and character designs, like his checkered jacket and scar.

What makes this guy bland imo is his generic design, generic backstory, and his already good at what he does. I get Kirito vibes from him
flashy characters also does not mean that the work will attract attention. You talk about tanjiro's scar, but if we follow your thought, zipman should be in a better situation, since the protagonist of the manga has all that you're pointing out as quality.
While agravity boys, who have the possibility of doing well, have no characters with a memorable design.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Oh Agravity Boys is getting more pages next week, I didn't know that, but im quite happy for it.

As for the MHA thing I never knew what Maruta meant so when I saw this I was kinda surprised. However if you are going to delete your twitter account, fanart and start a hate train because of a name of a character then I say good riddance. Twitter never fails to amaze me with how much they overreact to literally everything, remember the "Endeavor death threats". If SJ think its a big deal then they will change it, I dont really see the point of discussion twitter bitching.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Some guesses for the future:
-Is possible that not more serialization rounds until issue 32-33. I'll bet the manga ending would be 1-2 veterans and only 1 axe
-No more gags for now in future serialization rounds
-A romcom or a spokon (or both of them) should appear in next serialization round.
with WnL near the end, I think they will invest in a Romcom.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Bro think about it. What if a villain was named the n-word in the next Spiderman movie
Being one my self. I wouldn't care. If people affected don't care why should everyone else. And it's a pun relating to the doctor its supposed to be clever....
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Being one my self. I wouldn't care. If people affected don't care why should everyone else. And it's a pun relating to the doctor its supposed to be clever....
I think people are just over exaggerating really ;/
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
flashy characters also does not mean that the work will attract attention. You talk about tanjiro's scar, but if we follow your thought, zipman should be in a better situation, since the protagonist of the manga has all that you're pointing out as quality.
While agravity boys, who have the possibility of doing well, have no characters with a memorable design.
Again. I said, “the combination of bland everything”.
Kimetsu has a unique artstyle in general that attracted me in the beginning

In my opinion Zipman was way better than Witch’s Guardian in design, story, and art anyway.

And in my opinion while Agravity Boys doesn’t have the most unique art, it succeeds in what its trying to do, which is being funny
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Having just read Guardian of the Witch, I think it has a solid, if derivative, start. The manga has the potential to become really good, in my opinion. I just really wished that the story would've shown more instead of telling more. I think that what it's showing either is or has the potential to be really interesting, but it's just that it did so with a lot of expository dialogue. I'll definitely continue reading this, though. I'm pretty intrigues to see where this one goes, and I hope it gets better really soon!

If I had to rank all the first chapters (and first chapters only) of the 5 newest manga in order from most liked to least liked, it would be:
1. Guardian of the Witch
2.Undead Unluck
3. Zipman
4. Mashle
5. Agravity Boys
All of themhave their good points and bad points.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,551
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
How in the world is the idea good? It’s like naming a Nazi doctor after a derogatory term for a dead Jew.
As for the MHA thing I never knew what Maruta meant so when I saw this I was kinda surprised. However if you are going to delete your twitter account, fanart and start a hate train because of a name of a character then I say good riddance. Twitter never fails to amaze me with how much they overreact to literally everything, remember the "Endeavor death threats"
I agreed, what a silly complaint
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Again. I said, “the combination of bland everything”.
Kimetsu has a unique artstyle in general that attracted me in the beginning

In my opinion Zipman was way better than Witch’s Guardian in design, story, and art anyway.

And in my opinion while Agravity Boys doesn’t have the most unique art, it succeeds in what its trying to do, which is being funny
And again, all of that didn’t help zipman, artistically he’s stylish but it didn’t help at all. After all, he's in a low position.
kimetsu at the beginning had a really bad art that got better with time.
I don't know where you saw “the combination of bland everything”, but I saw something well done and very detailed in guardian of the witch, very similar to Black clover, or even better.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Guardian of the witch is the most interesting debut between all of those. Now it depends how the new chapters will develop everything.

And yeah, it really gave me AoT vibes with the monsters and the place they were
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
I agreed, what a silly complaint
Seriously? You have no cultural understanding of the connotations of that word. Like I already gave an example with the n word, I'm sure the outrage would be huge here in our culture. Just because some Twitter fanatics went bonkers doesn't mean Hori didn't do something stupid. Which is fine, the question is will be change what he did.

Similarish situation in Gintama where a villain group shared a name with a minor Japanese religion and they changed the name.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Guardian of the witch is the most interesting debut between all of those. Now it depends how the new chapters will develop everything.

And yeah, it really gave me AoT vibes with the monsters and the place they were
Literally how mate. I'm a bit sassy from being sleep deprived but here we go. Boring MC. SAVE ME girl. Evil smiley dude who despite raising witches from childhood doesn't raise witch slayers from childhood and instead tells some dude out of the blue to do it. And AFTER letting him build a bond with her. Stupid city design. Nothing outside the walls, or next story elements have been introduced. I must turn her back to a human. Gosh I wonder if he'll succeed. Boring square and rectangle panels everywhere. K gonna sleep
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
And again, all of that didn’t help zipman, artistically he’s stylish but it didn’t help at all. After all, he's in a low position.
kimetsu at the beginning had a really bad art that got better with time.
I don't know where you saw “the combination of bland everything”, but I saw something well done and very detailed in guardian of the witch, very similar to Black clover, or even better.
I’m not saying that Zipman is a great series or that it’s going to last. I’m simply saying that I thought it was better the Witch’s Guardian.


You’re entitled to your own opinion. You just seem to take issue that I don’t share it at the moment
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,551
Reaction score
11,289
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Seriously? You have no cultural understanding of the connotations of that word. Like I already gave an example with the n word, I'm sure the outrage would be huge here in our culture. Just because some Twitter fanatics went bonkers doesn't mean Hori didn't do something stupid. Which is fine, the question is will be change what he did.
for me who is scandalized by this thing does not have a private life
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top