Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,522
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,522
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wasn't you guy worrying about low voting turnout? With this much of a hassle to vote and the lack of anonymity, this is the perfect formula for the lowest number of voters. Congrat.
Yes i thought about these details, this is why isn't just hard number of votes but points based in the position ranked, i got the okay from Buranchi to do, and again, is a test to see how it goes in comparison with the regular poll.
 

Datu Mike

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2018
Messages
74
Reaction score
75
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
I really hope Mashle survives. I've not had such fun with a new series in a long time.
Me too. finally a manga that is it same caliber as Sket dance and Beelzebub gag level. I never been laugh out loud for so long please survive.

Mash imitate Jackie chan confuse meme lol
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just to clarify, the regular poll will stay where it is. That isn't being taken down or anything like that. This is a separate poll we're proposing, one where you can vote for five series each week, but your top three votes have added weight to them.

We felt this would make this proposed poll a bit more interesting and dynamic.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Me too. finally a manga that is it same caliber as Sket dance and Beelzebub gag level. I never been laugh out loud for so long please survive.

Mash imitate Jackie chan confuse meme lol
I think it's been well established at this point the wants of the Japanese readerbase are very different to those of this thread.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
disclaimer, I don't vote in the polls because of no reason for me to do so
just like discussing this thing since well... data

so basically we are moving from block voting to preferential block voting

ah ranked (or prefential) voting. I actually kinda prefer this (in theory, but how it is executed remains to be seen)

also need to consider weightage (which is appropriate since [Readacted since too long, tldr: considering preferences and no slots]), could be as simple as 12345|54321, or give more advantage to higher ranker by setting it on a different scale, could also consider giving a max amount of points (may or may not consider how many they actually choose as to determine how many point to give) to the voters... and this is getting way to complicated to type.

heck it doesn't have to be actually points, it could just be a factor in deciding how to break a tie

this will more work(by he counter so eh) if by replies, unless scripted, (though that will require proper formatting on the voters end and/or a robust method on the counter's end ),

anonymity will also be an issue as pointed out, which might be for some, but I also see some people discussing their votes here... so... eh, don't think the built in can support it, so might need to go third party, (which have it's pros & cons)

will this increase # of vote, lol no, but as buranchi pointed it out that the regular on is still there, though now I need to ask if it is a completedly separate poll interely since well, double votes and possibly voting for 10 (which is a thing I might do if I vote but I won't... the voting, I might fo the 10 if I'm bored to death, maybe though that means I'll be voting which I won't this is starting to sound like I'm giving others idea, which I'm probably not)


again, I don't vote because I can't begin to care,
and this was just me over-complicating the matter but as a TLDR

preferential block > block (in theory)

how the weightage are considered
methodology(at this scale it will just be a chore rather than a time wasting task so eh [unless it already automated])
anonymity angle (which some care)
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
disclaimer, I don't vote in the polls because of no reason for me to do so
just like discussing this thing since well... data

so basically we are moving from block voting to preferential block voting

ah ranked (or prefential) voting. I actually kinda prefer this (in theory, but how it is executed remains to be seen)

also need to consider weightage (which is appropriate since [Readacted since too long, tldr: considering preferences and no slots]), could be as simple as 12345|54321, or give more advantage to higher ranker by setting it on a different scale, could also consider giving a max amount of points (may or may not consider how many they actually choose as to determine how many point to give) to the voters... and this is getting way to complicated to type.

heck it doesn't have to be actually points, it could just be a factor in deciding how to break a tie

this will more work(by he counter so eh) if by replies, unless scripted, (though that will require proper formatting on the voters end and/or a robust method on the counter's end ),

anonymity will also be an issue as pointed out, which might be for some, but I also see some people discussing their votes here... so... eh, don't think the built in can support it, so might need to go third party, (which have it's pros & cons)

will this increase # of vote, lol no, but as buranchi pointed it out that the regular on is still there, though now I need to ask if it is a completedly separate poll interely since well, double votes and possibly voting for 10 (which is a thing I might do if I vote but I won't... the voting, I might fo the 10 if I'm bored to death, maybe though that means I'll be voting which I won't this is starting to sound like I'm giving others idea, which I'm probably not)


again, I don't vote because I can't begin to care,
and this was just me over-complicating the matter but as a TLDR

preferential block > block (in theory)

how the weightage are considered
methodology(at this scale it will just be a chore rather than a time wasting task so eh [unless it already automated])
anonymity angle (which some care)
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I know my votes don't count atm so my opinion shouldn't be weighed as heavily as people who vote and count, but this does feel like a lot of extra steps for something that is working fine for now. I agree anonymity and reduced voter turnout may be a problem for some. That being said, it may provide different results which may be more insightful than the normal poll. I just wonder what the end goal is for the poll. Is it supposed to be emulating WSJ as close as possible, or is it just a fun poll to gauge the interests of the forum.
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTE FOR ISSUE #14 POLLS​

So Buranchi was talking to me about the poll and etc, and it actually gave me a idea that i thought would be interesting to make a test, isn't definitive, is just a test that i want to do to see how it goes.

The idea is, i will open a new thread for the votes of issue #14, but the thing is, the vote will be made manually, you guys will make a comment ranking your favorite chapters from 1st to 5th at most (you don't need to vote in 5) and the position that you place the chapter will impact the number of points, the thread will be open the same number of days like always and in the moment you make your votes, you can't edit because will be disconsidered, Buranchi will keep an eye on who tries to edit, also the rules about 1 month and etc will still count.

After the thread is locked, the points will be counted for each series taking in count the place they were ranked and the results posted here and in the poll thread. Like i said, it's just a test that i will make for issue #14 and let's see how it goes.

I'm still deciding the number of points for each place, so if you guys have a opinion, you can say.
Funny, I was actually thinking about something similar yesterday. I was thinking something simpler: Back to 3 votes to make it more authentic, and have only one weighted vote.

Just to clarify, the regular poll will stay where it is. That isn't being taken down or anything like that. This is a separate poll we're proposing, one where you can vote for five series each week, but your top three votes have added weight to them.

We felt this would make this proposed poll a bit more interesting and dynamic.
Do the same rules apply to the proposed poll?
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,522
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I know my votes don't count atm so my opinion shouldn't be weighed as heavily as people who vote and count, but this does feel like a lot of extra steps for something that is working fine for now. I agree anonymity and reduced voter turnout may be a problem for some. That being said, it may provide different results which may be more insightful than the normal poll. I just wonder what the end goal is for the poll. Is it supposed to be emulating WSJ as close as possible, or is it just a fun poll to gauge the interests of the forum.
Overall is just fun stuff since the results has no impact, it means to reflect the opinion of the forum/thread and is inspired in the "ToC" but loosely since it's impractical to try really emulate that.

Funny, I was actually thinking about something similar yesterday. I was thinking something simpler: Back to 3 votes to make it more authentic, and have only one weighted vote.

Do the same rules apply to the proposed poll?
The definitive details will be posted in the thread at Friday, but will not be anything complex and etc in the end.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
For reference, about ranking votes, I'm in favor favor it, if just because the JP survey's do that.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Like i said, is just a test, and is quite simple, the users will only post in the thread their favorite chapters in a ranking order like:

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-

Or 1 to 2, 1 to 3, 1 to 4, and the positions will have points attached to it.
Well, I am up for any tests. I think we will probably get around ten to twenty posts in total.

Say, since we keep the other poll anyway, can't this system instead of being ranked by points be "divided" by points of interest? LIke lets say you offer us 5 different rubrics to which we write down what we think fit the best this week. Like say "Best Action Scene" or "Most interesting Development" or "Biggest Disappointment this week" kinda like stuff that would actually would make us think "hm, was OP really the best action scene or was CSM better and if so why did I find the other action scene better than in OP which another User quite positively put a lot of good arguments for why it got the best action this week due the Oden vs Radish battle or whatever.
Like you know, that way we might be able to avoid repeating voting for same series over and over. Like for example I would not put UxU into the Best Action Scene rubric (at least not this week) but for me I would put it into the "Most interesting development" because of the focus on the female main lead and her theme. And that kinda stuff can change a lot over the weeks whereas a ranking of 1 to 5 just say... well I liked this best I liked this 5th best, nice talking to you guys.
I don't know, maybe this idea of mine is stupid and your point system is better. I just would like to see why let's say some people would put S8 in Most interesting Development or see if a majority actually had the same thought you see a lot of KnY representations in the "Best Action Scene this Week" rubric. It would give it some shelfs or headlines or a direction each week to look out for and evaluate not on what you liked best but what you liked best without spoilering other Users who haven't read the series yet too much.

Just to clarify, the regular poll will stay where it is. That isn't being taken down or anything like that. This is a separate poll we're proposing, one where you can vote for five series each week, but your top three votes have added weight to them.

We felt this would make this proposed poll a bit more interesting and dynamic.
Can we write spoilers in that new separated poll about series with more than 3 volumes? <.<
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,522
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The problem James is that i already have users saying writing a comment is work enough to reduce the number of votes, it seems too much detailed stuff to do, but i was kinda thinking reading your comment that maybe we could do the normal poll and also this second thread with just 3 votes where these 3 votes would have more weight (points) than the regular poll that would be just "one point" for each choice, in the case voting in the second thread would give more impact in the voting since you have to actually show yourself and your choices and in the end just do the math and add to the votes in the regular poll

What you guys think?
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
The problem James is that i already have users saying writing a comment is work enough to reduce the number of votes, it seems too much detailed stuff to do, but i was kinda thinking reading your comment that maybe we could do the normal poll and also this second thread with just 3 votes where these 3 votes would have more weight (points) than the regular poll that would be just "one point" for each choice, in the case voting in the second thread would give more impact in the voting since you have to actually show yourself and your choices and in the end just do the math and add to the votes in the regular poll

What you guys think?
I think it's great, but would we have to give 3 weighted votes or can we choose to only give one or two?
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,491
Reaction score
39,522
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think it's great, but would we have to give 3 weighted votes or can we choose to only give one or two?
These 3 votes would be made in a ranking of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, with something like 1st being +5 points, 2nd +3 points and 3rd +1 point, in the case if you just want to vote in 1 this only one would be a 1st place, so +5 points.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The problem James is that i already have users saying writing a comment is work enough to reduce the number of votes, it seems too much detailed stuff to do, but i was kinda thinking reading your comment that maybe we could do the normal poll and also this second thread with just 3 votes where these 3 votes would have more weight (points) than the regular poll that would be just "one point" for each choice, in the case voting in the second thread would give more impact in the voting since you have to actually show yourself and your choices and in the end just do the math and add to the votes in the regular poll

What you guys think?
Nah I just meant like

This weeks...

Best Action Scene

"Name of the series"
Most interesting Development
"Name of the series"
Biggest Disappointment
"Name of the series"
Most beautiful Scene
"Name of the series"
Funniest Scene
"Name of the series"

Like this, no comment writing, just copy past this (obviously with blank where the Name of the series stands) and people posting this with the title of the series they think deserves that spot the most. Or even simpler like Coolest Series, Loveliest Series, yadda yadda.

But like I said, I test anything and when I notice I don't like it, well, it's not like Buranchi will break into my home with a chainsaw and demand where my weekly comment about the rankings is.^^
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Anywhere that archives the manga rankings for Japanese Bookwalker?
 

lazybones1717

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2018
Messages
281
Reaction score
1,404
Age
34
Country
United States
Any idea if the Yozakura pages says anything?
The small yellow text is just about the series getting a center color page for the climax of the Kuroyuri Arc. Not sure what the big blue text says. Probably just general fluff about the chapter written by the editor.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations

Have to say, I am loving Mitamas CPs so far.
What.. what's with her legs? That can't be healthy. o_o


Just to clarify, the regular poll will stay where it is. That isn't being taken down or anything like that. This is a separate poll we're proposing, one where you can vote for five series each week, but your top three votes have added weight to them.

We felt this would make this proposed poll a bit more interesting and dynamic.
I like this idea. But I think 3 votes should be enough for the second poll, since you're going to be weighting them (which should mean less ties) and we want to make it like the WSJ poll as much as possible.


The problem James is that i already have users saying writing a comment is work enough to reduce the number of votes, it seems too much detailed stuff to do, but i was kinda thinking reading your comment that maybe we could do the normal poll and also this second thread with just 3 votes where these 3 votes would have more weight (points) than the regular poll that would be just "one point" for each choice, in the case voting in the second thread would give more impact in the voting since you have to actually show yourself and your choices and in the end just do the math and add to the votes in the regular poll

What you guys think?
I think adding them up is a bad idea (for now). Just do both polls like you described, but keep them seperate (and allow people to vote in both). Comparing the results from both methods will be interesting.


Nah I just meant like

This weeks...

Best Action Scene

"Name of the series"
Most interesting Development
"Name of the series"
Biggest Disappointment
"Name of the series"
Most beautiful Scene
"Name of the series"
Funniest Scene
"Name of the series"

Like this, no comment writing, just copy past this (obviously with blank where the Name of the series stands) and people posting this with the title of the series they think deserves that spot the most. Or even simpler like Coolest Series, Loveliest Series, yadda yadda.
I like this idea too, but don't try and translate it into numbers for the poll, that'll get too complicated. Just make it a honorable mention or something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top