Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,601
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Update on Heroes Rising's box office. For comparison, Two Heroes grossed $5,754,556 USD in about 3 weeks. Box Office Mojo is expecting Heroes Rising to gross an additional $6 million this weeked alone, putting the box office well over $11 million USD.

 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I think One Piece's current panelling matches pretty well with the style it's had since Marineford in general, ie way too much going at once. He's great at making the world seem very active and busy and lived-in but I'd have to agree that it's pretty weak in terms of emotional impact.

Like that Oden panel is a good example, it should be a big moment, an important new character being introduced, but instead it feels like just another regular moment in town because there's so many different characters all talking at once and no space is left for Oden himself to have any impact. It's supposed to be a big cool scene for the chapter to end on, but instead the main part of the page, the standout part, the last thing you take from reading the chapter is random comments from the villagers.

He can still do good moments when he feels like it and tones it down a little (like 'He just laughed') but he often goes too far adding extra details that not only don't add anything but actively take away from the page by distracting you from what's important. It's the art/panelling equivalent of long winded infodumps that add nothing and repeat stuff.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I'm going to fix what I said before. For me, My Hero Academia has the 2nd best paneling in all Shonen Jump.

The 1st one for me would be for Jujutsu Kaisen. Some examples in the following spoiler:




Also, I'd say Jujutsu Kaisen has currently the best coreographies and battles of all Shonen Jump. I find Gege coreography better than Oda, Horikoshi or Gotouge tbh. Jujutsu is a very dynamic manga and you can clearly feel it
Jujutsu has some amazing spreads. Definatly one of if not the best in Jump right now.
Like Godamn, this is incredible..
 
Last edited:

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
I'd say Hero Academia has my favorite paneling of all Shonen Jump history. A very good example in the spoiler pic (from Overhaul arc):

I think that page has very bad panelling and BNHA has the worst panelling of the current established series.
Chainsawman has great, movie-style panelling. Fujimoto is very playful once in a while as well.
JJK has great, action manga-style panelling.
Haikyuu is amazing as well.
And Togashi is still king but atm Kimetsu has the best panelling in Jump, it has perfected "giving attention to what matters". Since movies and manga are different mediums, completely drawing manga through movie shots can't leverage all of manga's potential. Kimetsu is making full use of the manga medium's potential.
And no, having a devil hand flick from outside a panel or having the back of a door create the panelling doesn't make the panelling instantly great - although Fujimoto has always delivered when he is experimenting.
Btw the BNHA example above is how a "cool idea" - essentially a novelty, a knickknack - can be terrible in execution. Luckily Fujimoto has never gone overboard without reason.

If this adds any merit to my points, I've drawn around 300 manga pages with constantly improving my panelling and composition in mind ofc, and been actively studying panelling for a year or so.
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I remember Act-age got some criticism here for having very boring panelling when it first started, though it's improved a lot.
I think it's hard to deny Usuzaki's art was rough at first (she was only 19, after all), but weak paneling? Not really, IMO.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I think it's hard to deny Usuzaki's art was rough at first (she was only 19, after all), but weak paneling? Not really, IMO.
Comparing this to the recent color pages I see, goddamn. Her art has leveled up a lot. Gonna have to read this sometime soon.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Speaking of paneling, in naruto this page was very fun (in a funny way) to read

 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,784
Country
Dragonstone
One of the funniest moments in Dragon Ball is still the fight between Yamcha and Goku where Goku literally uses the paneling to rebound his attack into Yamcha.
 
Last edited:

KennyKuro

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
472
Reaction score
1,270
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Venezuela
I hope it's not too late with the paneling topic but something I love about JJK is the way Akutami-sensei plays with the page environment and with the drawing to separate the panels.


There are other cases but these are the first that come to mind.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I hope it's not too late with the paneling topic but something I love about JJK is the way Akutami-sensei plays with the page environment and with the drawing to separate the panels.


There are other cases but these are the first that come to mind.
I don't read Jujutsu but this is very good.

Edit: Since we are talking about panelling we like, I wonder where is my boy Yuuji Kimura, hope he doesn't give up on manga.
 
Last edited:

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
From KnY, I really liked how Gotouge depicted Shinobu's stabbing attack.
 

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
Hey guys, haven't been here recently, but just wanted to ask whether or not the new announcement for Bleach has been released? Thanks
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, haven't been here recently, but just wanted to ask whether or not the new announcement for Bleach has been released? Thanks
It was supposed to be at Anime Japan, which was going to be held from March 21st to March 24th, but got cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak, The announcement, which will be online most definitely, can happen in that same timeframe, but can also happen at any given moment.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Every page of One Piece is overly busy! There's never any emotion to any of the pages, they're purely done to display as much information as humanly possible. And Oda rarely goes beyond a cluster of rectangles and squares. There's nothing striking about how it's put together.
I think you mean he rarely goes beyond the frames of the panels? I don't see how that makes his paneling automatically bad, even though I remember him doing that with Katakuri quite a lot in WCI. In fact, I think most character introductions we've seen have them going beyond the frames of the panel. Anyway, point is that you don't have to go beyond the frames of a panel to achieve good paneling. That is nonsense.

I'm rereading through Zou right now and don't feel overwhelmed. With how expansive the OP-verse is, the detailed art benefits it.

I genuinely can't think of a case where stuffing the frame with unnecessary information somehow improves it.
It's hard to be genuine when you're constantly looking for flaws in the series and undervaluing the series as much as possible with every chance you get.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
It's lazy as hell to excuse One Piece panelling clusterfuck as a stylistic choice.
I feel like Oda editor doesn't have the ball to tell him how much of a mess Oda is cramming into his page. Unnecessary dialogues, reactions, meaningless background details everywhere. When did it become this bad? I remember never have to zoom in to see those tiny panel to look for major action that should have been in the foreground in any other manga or even One Piece in the past.
My guess is that Oda start relying on assistant more than the past, and he just tells them to fill up the panel and spread with as much shit as possible.
I think he has lost his touch a time ago. His subtlety to do a whole exposition chapter with no dialogue is a thing from the past now.
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Anyway, regarding the point of HxH, I doubt Togashi is writing this for anyone but himself at this point. Jump's readership turns over every five years or so per Oda, so really the only reason why it's still running is because of fame.
Late reply, but I'd forgotten about this bit and to follow up on Slam's earlier post:

 

evielynn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2019
Messages
104
Reaction score
300
Age
26
Country
United Kingdom
Do we know if the Dr Stone poll is online or physical yet? If it is online, I guess that also gives us a good idea that BC's will be too.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It's lazy as hell to excuse One Piece panelling clusterfuck as a stylistic choice.
I feel like Oda editor doesn't have the ball to tell him how much of a mess Oda is cramming into his page. Unnecessary dialogues, reactions, meaningless background details everywhere. When did it become this bad? I remember never have to zoom in to see those tiny panel to look for major action that should have been in the foreground in any other manga or even One Piece in the past.
My guess is that Oda start relying on assistant more than the past, and he just tells them to fill up the panel and spread with as much shit as possible.
I think he has lost his touch a time ago. His subtlety to do a whole exposition chapter with no dialogue is a thing from the past now.
Funny as you can also easily say that it's lazy as hell to call OP's art as just being clustered when there's depth to it. It's not perfect but it captures the chaotic/expansive nature of the New World.

I do agree to an extent as I miss his spreads like Zoro's shishi sonson against Mr.1...
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,601
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS POLL ISSUE #13 (2020) - VOTING RESULTS

1. Act-Age 102 - 64 Votes
2. One Piece 972 - 63 Votes
3. Mitama Secureity 25 and 26 - 53 Votes
4. Mashle 5 - 43 Votes

5. Dr. Stone 140 - 42 Votes
6. Chainsaw Man 59 - 36 Votes
7. Mission: Yozakura Family 25 - 34 Votes
8. Kimetsu no Yaiba 195 - 28 Votes
9. Haikyuu!! 384 - 27 Votes
10. We Never Learn 148 - 23 Votes
11. Jujutsu Kaisen 96 - 23 Votes
12. Undead Unluck 6 - 22 Votes
13. Black Clover 240 - 17 Votes
14. Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 39 - 14 Votes
15. The Promised Neverland 168 - 13 Votes

16. Guardian of the Witch 4 - 9 Votes
17. Agravity Boys 10 - 8 Votes
18. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 196 - 3 Votes

19. ZIPMAN!! 11 - 0 Votes

Notes:

-62 Voters (13 excluded)
-Tied mangas decided by which is older
-Total number of votes is the combined between both polls
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top