Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,595
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@Buranchi I know that's how it happened, and you know what like I think age consent laws are kinda dumb (like once you are 18 you are now wiser than when you were 17... c'mon), and I don't blame Shimabu because honestly I guess the way he told it may have been true, but the point still stands that legally speaking Shimabu asked and underage girl for sex, right? And Oda actively promoted his friend who did that act.

And, again I would have probably done the same had I been in Oda's place, because quite frankly I would have thought something like " I mean enjo-kosai is pretty common in Japan" or "Meh, she probably tried to blackmail poor Shimabu", honestly I would have thought something like that and stand by my friend.

But... Apparently it wasn't like Shimabu did it only once.

Oda's TOC entry 9/2/2002

Summertime means scary stories. While that’s true, people who are quick to bare their fangs based on differences in status scare me the most.

[It's possible Oda is alluding to the case of his mangaka colleague and friend Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro [Toriko] who was arrested on August 7th 2002 for paying a 16-year old girl for sexual services and then later charged with paying two other 16-year old girls for sexual services on earlier occassions against Japan's Child Prostitution Law.]
So... I don't know but looking at this way I think it's more likely than it was Shimabu that was actively looking for younger girls. I mean there's the possibility he didn't know of course..

You can read it in Shimabu's japanese wikipedia entry (Which I'm gonna translate using google translate):

On August 7, 2002, the Kanagawa Prefectural Police arrested a 16-year-old female high school student who met on an online dating site for violating child prostitution by giving 80,000 yen to engage in helping (prostitution). As a result, the serialization of "Takeshi" was terminated unfinished, and the latest book, which was scheduled to be released the month after the arrest, was discontinued by the apology sent by the editorial department of "Weekly Shonen Jump" No. 39 of that year. It was announced and already published. Indicted on August 28 of the same year [4]. The following day, on August 29, she was re-arrested for violating the Child Prostitution Act by prostitution against another two female high school students, age 16 [5]. On October 29 of the same year, he was sentenced to two years in prison and four years in prison by the Yokohama District Court [6].
So maybe the translation is not correct but it looks to me that Shimabu either was arrested once on August7th and let go and then he did it again on August 29th OR the other, more likely scenario is that he was arrested on August7th and then on August 29th he was charged for other two violations to the Child Prostituion Act (Police probably looked at his phone mails or something)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
BTW the weirdest (And funniest) coincidence happened... So Shimabu was arrested on August 7th 2002 right, 5 days prior to that on August 2nd 2002 One Piece Grand Data BLUE was released.. In said book there was an interview where Oda was asked if he was friends with any mangaka, to which he replied "Our group of assistants from Nobuhiro Watsuki sensei’s place. (Hiroyuki Takei, Mikio Itou, etc.) Shimabu- (Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro)"

So I mean I just find it kinda funny how OP BLUE was released just 5 days prior to Shimabu's arrest, and Oda said that, it's just kinda was a PR disaster haha (BTW Not implying Oda knew anything about Shimabu beforehand... Just clarifying in case some users' lack of reading comprehension leads them to believe that was my intention, Ok??? :D
Just wanted to point out this weird-crazy coincidence lol)

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Rain Spectre The thing is I never once said Oda was involved in trafficking CP, dude...

Here is Merriem-Webster's definition on trafficking:

traf·fick·ing
Legal Definition of trafficking

: the act of buying or selling usually illegal goods.

By its definition Oda couldn't have been "trafficking" CP, right? It wasn't illegal when Oda was Watsuki's assistant... A thing I have now repeated three times..

I only asked people's opinions of Oda perhaps knowing of Watsuki's CP mags. I never once implied he trafficked them lol, so yeah.. you overreacted to my post.

,
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why are you guys calling children/kids as loli again when they aren't even fictional? lol This term really lost all meaning in the last years.
Where did I even imply he was complicit in the circulation of cp lol? chill out dudes..

This is the one part of my post where I talked about it:
So like do you think Oda knew of Watsuki's pedo stuff?

Besides, again, one more time, a little thing I wrote in my original post:
Loli magazines (As in cp) was legal in Japan until 2014 Oda was assistant to Watsuki during Ruroken's run, and he started OP in 1997 so he probably was Watsuki's assistant from around 1994ish-1996ish, hence Watsuki's magazines weren't illegal at the time of Oda being his assistant. Even if Oda knew about those magazines.. Heck even if Oda Idk bought magazines for Watsuki, like you know an errand boy would do, "Ey Oda-kun go buy me this week's CP" that would have totally been legal.

I don't even know if I'm allowed to post dark humor here lol.. Don't want any snowflakes to get mad.

Anyway.. I'm gonna rephrase my question, "Do you think maybe Eiichiro Oda knew of Watsuki's cp collection (which at the time would have been something completely legal), btw this is the same Eiichiro Oda who in 2004 actively promoted his just released out of prison for violating child prostitution laws dear friend Shimabukuro's new work Ring (TOC April 12, 2004).

I mean at this point it's pretty clear that Oda is "cool" with what Shimabu did, he's one of the few mangakas that still called him a friend and gave him shout-out in WSJ, which I guess in a sense I kind of "admire" Oda's loyalty..

I really don't think it's that far-fetched that if Oda knew of Watsuki's cp he would have been "cool" with it, I mean he's certainly Ok with collaborating with these two regardless of their actions.

But you know what guys just put me on silence because maybe my posts are not for you, I always make crazy "what if"scenarios and ask weird questions that are just based on assumptions. Let's just keep talking about this week manga.
Afaik, No, CP was banned since 98 in JP. What became illegal in 2014 was possession of CP.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Why are you guys calling children/kids as loli again when they aren't even fictional? lol This term really lost all meaning in the last years.


Afaik, No, CP was banned since 98 in JP. What became illegal in 2014 was possession of CP.
Cool, my point would still stand because Oda wasn't Watsuki's assistant in 1998. But thanks for providing the correct information, Nemesis :)
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Cool, my point would still stand because Oda wasn't Watsuki's assistant in 1998. But thanks for providing the correct information, Nemesis :)
I don't see what the point of this is when the original point was that it is still incredibly questionable for anyone, let alone someone of Oda's status, to continue friendly relations with Watsuki after what he was convicted of.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I don't see what the point of this is when the original point was that it is still incredibly questionable for anyone, let alone someone of Oda's status, to continue friendly relations with Watsuki after what he was convicted of.
We agree on that one, still I just wanted to debate a bit and stuff, you know see othere's opinions etc etc.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States

For the top picture:
1. Kimetsu - 1,603,053
2. Hanako-kun - 121,276
3. Silver Spoon - 111,642
4. Neverland - 92,955
5. Space Brothers - 91,635
6. Go-toubun - 90,951
7. Seven Deadly Sins - 84,507
8. HeroAca - 76,958
9. Coffee & Vanilla - 72,834
10. Haikyuu!! - 61,189
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@Koni where do you find those? Like the weekly total sales?
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@pamuchi so.. where can I find weekly total manga sales?? I have only found weekly sales per volume, but I can't find weekly sales per series.. :/
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Here in the thread you can find the previous one. The weekly total sales charts are always posted on tieba, usually at this time of night/early morning.

Per volume charts are usually posted after the toc drops, in the same day or the day after.
 

kevinpr9

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
25
Reaction score
46
Age
31
Country
Indonesia


Chart of Kimetsu sales by week.
I'm waiting for KnY's 2020 total sales to beat One Piece's 2011 record by midyear.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shoseki Ranking March 2
Shoseki Ranking March 3

So the KnY reprints boost has started to kick off on March 2 and Vol.19 is at #19 :o.
Interesting to see how many it will sell for this week.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
what are people's predictions for mitama security vol 2 ranking and sales?
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Most shops get copies a few days before release, they need to get them early to make sure they can release the magazines properly on time (videogames and other things are the same way in the west, it's normal in shops).

I don't know about the current leaks but judging from leakers who have been caught in the past, they probably come from friends of delivery drivers or shop assistants seeing the magazines when they arrive in the shop.
This is something I've been thinking, how do we cut off the leaks? I understand why some places get Jump early, but at this point Jump surely have identified the cause of the leaks. Logically, they would be releasing chapters digitally as soon as the printing's done, but that potentially hurts physical sales of the magazine, which, for some reason Nakano is insistent on, despite knowing that digital sales are rising each year.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
digital market is rising sure, but digital manga magazines is only 4% of overall manga magazine sales (in 2018, 2019 report should be out...whenever someone figured out it is out
)

READ: MAGAZINES, not tankoubon/volumes, even then people are taking stuff only at a surface level, but this is not the time for that.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,559
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Is My Hero still at 26 million? And the recovery of volumes in recent months?
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
digital market is rising sure, but digital manga magazines is only 4% of overall manga magazine sales (in 2018, 2019 report should be out...whenever someone figured out it is out
)

READ: MAGAZINES, not tankoubon/volumes, even then people are taking stuff only at a surface level, but this is not the time for that.
Even though it's just a small sample, it's absolutely foolish to deny that digital manga is the present, not future. If Jump seriously wanted to crack down on illegal leaks, they ought to seriously consider prioritizing digital releases. That is, by releasing the digital versions first before it gets to the presses.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
what are people's predictions for mitama security vol 2 ranking and sales?
10k for week 1 , I'd like to be (more) optimistic and say 15k but that's probably pushing it

Is My Hero still at 26 million? And the recovery of volumes in recent months?
Probably around 27-28mln but they're going to wait until it hits atleast 30m before announcing new circulation numbers is my guess
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top