Spain is apparently letting kids outside with guardians and within 1km of their place.
THIS. I enjoy a good, fun conspiracy theory if they're something I can laugh at. Heck, I'm guilty enough to subscribe to any WSJ Editorial conspiracy theories over at the Jump thread.It's almost entertaining, until you read about people like the QAnon crowd and the way they actually use his words to fuel their mass-psychosis, which has driven people to murder, assault, kidnap etc. I can usually laugh at conspiracy theories but I spent like a whole day digging into QAnon, starting out fascinated and ending up physically nauseous..
We had a similar thing here where the PM didn't want to issue lockdown or stricter rules than just social distancing, in the hopes that as the virus spreads, the population would become immune to it and develop protection against it.That's kind of the thing. I remember a Swedish politician saying that they treat their citizens like adults. Many people rather hurt the population than helping anyone, not even themselves.
Here in Austria, we took rather strict measures very early on. No gatherings, total lockdown only grocery shopping allowed for now a month and a half. Many people lost their jobs or were at least put on halt (the government pays 80-90% of our wages) but we are opening up in a couple of days. Schools are scheduled to start again on May 15th. Large Gatherings will not be possible for a rather long time but we go back to a more normal life with 15k infections and 500 Deaths in total so far.
There will definitely be a second wave which typically is worse but I think these lockdown measures can buy time to set up certain societal standards that slow down the death rate as well as PPE so the economy can be put into a salvageable state while saving lives.
Isn't it getting better in the UK? I know Boris is not longer in the ICU. Any plans on re-opening the country anytime soon?We had a similar thing here where the PM didn't want to issue lockdown or stricter rules than just social distancing, in the hopes that as the virus spreads, the population would become immune to it and develop protection against it.
I think had he made the tough decision sooner, our numbers would be signficantly less. But even then, I'm not sure what theyre doing but the case of elderly/vulnerable deaths due to the virus is appalling.
Now we also have the same thing in place but we're a few weeks behind you guys I guess. It had recently been extended for another 3 weeks. No signs of schools going back any time soon. Large gatherings are also banned here but whenever a little bit of sun comes out, brits get super angsty and want to join together. It's really frustrating. Especially as recently we had a super sunny 4-day bank holiday. Police social media pages showing them posting photos of people gathering, dispersing then coming righ back. So so so dumb.
Personally I'd rather the lockdown remain in place for a while longer until we can have certain guarantees there wont be a 2nd wave. It sucks for a lot of people, mentally to feel confined but rather that and dying needlessly.
There was an emergency hospital built in my city but word is it hasnt been used yet. Which means the health service has done a great job of being able to absorb all patients, so that's good news for now.
I don't think you can have guarantees about that second wave. Every pandemic had one and as long as we have no herd immunity through infection or a vaccine it is a matter of time. What we can do is prepare for the second wave and get the materials/equipment and possibly medicine to be better prepared for the second wave and have fewer casualties. Being able to keep more of the economy open because the hospitals can handle a larger number of infected people.We had a similar thing here where the PM didn't want to issue lockdown or stricter rules than just social distancing, in the hopes that as the virus spreads, the population would become immune to it and develop protection against it.
I think had he made the tough decision sooner, our numbers would be signficantly less. But even then, I'm not sure what theyre doing but the case of elderly/vulnerable deaths due to the virus is appalling.
Now we also have the same thing in place but we're a few weeks behind you guys I guess. It had recently been extended for another 3 weeks. No signs of schools going back any time soon. Large gatherings are also banned here but whenever a little bit of sun comes out, brits get super angsty and want to join together. It's really frustrating. Especially as recently we had a super sunny 4-day bank holiday. Police social media pages showing them posting photos of people gathering, dispersing then coming righ back. So so so dumb.
Personally I'd rather the lockdown remain in place for a while longer until we can have certain guarantees there wont be a 2nd wave. It sucks for a lot of people, mentally to feel confined but rather that and dying needlessly.
There was an emergency hospital built in my city but word is it hasnt been used yet. Which means the health service has done a great job of being able to absorb all patients, so that's good news for now.
It's getting better in terms of "flattening" the curve. I guess it's important that we're seeing a decrease in the rate of infection and if that continues on its current path, we're looking good. What's worrying for me is still the high number of deaths coming out of retirement/carehomes, which I undertand the elderly are hit worse especially with underlying health issues, but that hasn't shown a sign of slowing as far as I've seen.Isn't it getting better in the UK? I know Boris is not longer in the ICU. Any plans on re-opening the country anytime soon?
It typically is worse. At least when we look at the Spanish flu or SARS/MERS. However, I still think this can be different because of this worldwide cooperation between scientists in the medical field and the communication infrastructure which has never existed before. The Remdesivir trials are going quite well so far so we might have a medicine soon.Willing to bet that the second wave will be even worse.
That are great news. You've been on lockdown for a long time to see this development though.Here in Italy, yesterday's data has been the best for many days now.
1872 new cases and 285 deaths, a figure that has not been seen since mid-March.
Oh that's awesome.Here in Italy, yesterday's data has been the best for many days now.
1872 new cases and 285 deaths, a figure that has not been seen since mid-March.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What's frightening is that people look to him for their daily news source and give him money to continue.About that taking Alex Jones seriously thing....
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Yeah, it kinda is. Calling it the Wuhan virus is demonstrably less so, as people within China itself call it that.Ok, do you guys and gals think it's racist to say China virus?
I'm not saying it is or it's not. It's just that people are so divided on something as insignificant as this.Yeah, it kinda is. Calling it the Wuhan virus is demonstrably less so, as people within China itself call it that.
Spanish Flu being the perfect example.But there's no point in jumping to conclusions to call it Wuhan either since the geographic naming of diseases isn't always accurate in the first place.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Pretty good all things considered. Lockdowns rough, but the amount of deaths we've had is actually pretty good. I think it still hasnt reach 100 yet, maybe ninety something. Dunno when we're opening back up though, I'd like to get back to work and go outside lol.I'm not saying it is or it's not. It's just that people are so divided on something as insignificant as this.
Spanish Flu being the perfect example.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@Seven777 How's the situation in Australia?
That's good. It seems like that area is doing better than the rest of the world. New Zealand has apparently beaten the virus.Pretty good all things considered. Lockdowns rough, but the amount of deaths we've had is actually pretty good. I think it still hasnt reach 100 yet, maybe ninety something. Dunno when we're opening back up though, I'd like to get back to work and go outside lol.
Whether it's racist or not isn't the problem IMO. Some people are doing it purposely to piss off others. I mean, if someone was to call MERS the Arab virus I genuinely wouldn't care.Also as a chinese-australian, I don't think it's racist to call it the china virus, it might be offensive, but meh, being offensive ain't the same as being racist and I have no problem offending people who lose their shit whenever someone sneezes.
Damn really? Good on New Zealand, i have mates with family there.That's good. It seems like that area is doing better than the rest of the world. New Zealand has apparently beaten the virus.
![]()
New Zealand has ‘effectively eliminated’ coronavirus. Here’s what they did right.
The island nation chose strict lockdowns and austerity. What’s next?www.nationalgeographic.com
Whether it's racist or not isn't the problem IMO. Some people are doing it purposely to piss off others. I mean, if someone was to call MERS the Arab virus I genuinely wouldn't care.
It's more just following the rules in order to beat it.
People get offended easily.Damn really? Good on New Zealand, i have mates with family there.
As for people doing it to piss other people off, why are they getting pissed off in the first place? It's a circle, people get offended by nonsense so other people inevitably go out of their way to offend those people, it'd be nice if everyone could just stand together, but thats just not how people are. In any case most people just call it the corona, which is fine by me.
Too easily these days.People get offended easily.
It's not really about whether people are personally offended by it or not. The people insisting on calling it the "Chinese virus" are doing so for political reasons and all it really does is foster xenophobia. You can insist on the world holding China accountable without being inflammatory.People get offended easily.
I think so as wellIt typically is worse. At least when we look at the Spanish flu or SARS/MERS. However, I still think this can be different because of this worldwide cooperation between scientists in the medical field and the communication infrastructure which has never existed before. The Remdesivir trials are going quite well so far so we might have a medicine soon.
Yes.Ok, do you guys and gals think it's racist to say China virus?
I mean, shit like that does often lead to racism. There's been more attacks on Asians after this became a pandemic.Also as a chinese-australian, I don't think it's racist to call it the china virus, it might be offensive, but meh, being offensive ain't the same as being racist and I have no problem offending people who lose their shit whenever someone sneezes.