Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

Admiral Teach

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
2,072
Country
Water Tribe
I think my intuition was right. No HxH this year. It will be a very, very long time before he returns. I had a sinking feeling from the instant I read the last panel with the snake mafia dude. It just... was that feeling. "Oh no..." I've seen this before in other works. That sense that we'd reached a crossroads in the author's... not career, but personal place in the story, where the desire to continue just bursts like a bubble, emptying all motivation to continue. Happened to me before.

What is so interesting to me is that this seems to occur at very hype moments. Climactic events or at least anticipated ones. I wonder why...
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,539
Reaction score
21,807
Gender
Female
Country
China
What hype moment do you mean? If you're referring to the events in the very last chapter of HxH, it's called a cliff hanger and a relatively common technique in commercial writing
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I think my intuition was right. No HxH this year. It will be a very, very long time before he returns. I had a sinking feeling from the instant I read the last panel with the snake mafia dude. It just... was that feeling. "Oh no..." I've seen this before in other works. That sense that we'd reached a crossroads in the author's... not career, but personal place in the story, where the desire to continue just bursts like a bubble, emptying all motivation to continue. Happened to me before.

What is so interesting to me is that this seems to occur at very hype moments. Climactic events or at least anticipated ones. I wonder why...
Still not sure why you're assuming all this (besides just a feeling).

Just to point it out again: he's never gone two consecutive calendar years without a new chapter.

Now if it were October, I'd probably start agreeing with you. So basically, if the summer months come and go with nothing, then you can start giving more credence to that sinking feeling. :P

And obviously who knows how covid will affect everything, since he's still analogue (though we know at least one of his assistants works with digital).
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
...

There's a first to everything
Sure, but that's more to go on than just a feeling.

But if anything, it reminds me there's no chance that things get finished (especially the DC) if he doesn't team up with an artist.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,539
Reaction score
21,807
Gender
Female
Country
China
Art is one thing but honestly he wrote himself into hard a spot; think about the sheer complexity of the upcoming situation... To write out everything at the level we expect I think is the far greater problem here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

These authors have to write a super complex story, initially following similar deadlines as the cunts that wrote fairy tail and the promised neverland.

Drawing takes time, but it's managable in a week as we've seen with say Bleach. It is factually possible for any big time author to produce a chapter in a week; what appears to go out of the window at some point is the writing. It's barely ever the quality or type of art, in all longstanding manga what goes whacko first is the writing.

Just speculation on my part though
 

Aki1991

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2011
Messages
713
Reaction score
769
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
HxH for me is over after Gon going back to his aunt. We will never see the new Arc anyway unfortunately. ;(

Last time I was so depressed about a Manga not finishing was Clamp X. I've bought all 18 Mangas and will never get the end...
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Art is one thing but honestly he wrote himself into hard a spot; think about the sheer complexity of the upcoming situation... To write out everything at the level we expect I think is the far greater problem here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

These authors have to write a super complex story, initially following similar deadlines as the cunts that wrote fairy tail and the promised neverland.

Drawing takes time, but it's managable in a week as we've seen with say Bleach. It is factually possible for any big time author to produce a chapter in a week; what appears to go out of the window at some point is the writing. It's barely ever the quality or type of art, in all longstanding manga what goes whacko first is the writing.

Just speculation on my part though
He did say he had the storyboards done for 391-400, so I guess it's after that that's causing trouble. But yeah, since we don't know his breakdown between writing and art (how much time he spends on each), hard to know if working with an artist would even noticeably speed things up.
HxH for me is over after Gon going back to his aunt. We will never see the new Arc anyway unfortunately. ;(

Last time I was so depressed about a Manga not finishing was Clamp X. I've bought all 18 Mangas and will never get the end...
Valid opinion, and he said that he's fine with many seeing that as the ending. And you mean we'll never see the new arc animated? If it actually finishes, it'll definitely get animated.
 

EroSennin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 1, 2018
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Age
31
Country
United States
Art is one thing but honestly he wrote himself into hard a spot; think about the sheer complexity of the upcoming situation... To write out everything at the level we expect I think is the far greater problem here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

These authors have to write a super complex story, initially following similar deadlines as the cunts that wrote fairy tail and the promised neverland.

Drawing takes time, but it's managable in a week as we've seen with say Bleach. It is factually possible for any big time author to produce a chapter in a week; what appears to go out of the window at some point is the writing. It's barely ever the quality or type of art, in all longstanding manga what goes whacko first is the writing.

Just speculation on my part though
I'd take a top notch arc that we might not see it's ending over something like the ninja war on Naruto. Kishi fucked it up real hard on that one.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Speaking of Kishimoto... I remember Togashi interview with him. He said that he had all the events of the election arc on his mind and he did all 30 storyboards in two weeks but it took him a while to draw because his hand couldn't keep up.Also Let's not forget that sometimes he has to redraw some panels for the volumes.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,417
Gender
Male
Country
France
Neverland will end very soon apparently and there'll be new series in WSJ. I hope HxH will return along with these new series.
 

lulukaruins

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
456
Reaction score
658
Country
Sabertooth
yeah, no chapter for almost two year is a joke...
that magazine should be called weekly shonen j**k, without hxh and world trigger. no offense.
 

ShadowHeart

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2010
Messages
6,218
Reaction score
3,041
Age
34
Country
England
Hopefully we get a release date for the new volume soon that's when we usually know HxH will be back.
 

DDed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
215
Reaction score
172
Age
29
Country
Vietnam

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I felt like this is the first time he has gone all out for 2 years
 

DDed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
215
Reaction score
172
Age
29
Country
Vietnam
Togashi needs to stop playing Dragon Quest and release some chapters man.
Yes but no considering this year is all about the outbreak
 
Top