One Piece Power Level Discussion Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ground Rules for the Power Level Discussion Thread
​

As always, please follow the guidelines set by the Forum Rules that apply across the board.

It's important that discussions from a current chapter are spoiler tagged until 24h have passed from an english release.

  • For the sake of constructive discussion, where and when possible please quote/ source any information you provide. Particularly when it comes to conversations carried over from other threads.
  • Avoid passive agressive posts, sly remarks or baiting/trolling. You can certainly have fun or disagree without it being at someone's expense.
  • Only use anime examples that are canon and as means to provide clarity to pages in the manga. Any other anime material is otherwise non-canon and should only be referenced if it can be proved that the mangaka had approved it.
  • We will strive to avoid repetitive discussions and any extensive battle topics will be guided to the Davy Back fight to existing threads or new ones can be made there.

As of now these topics are shelved due to repetitiveness or until the manga can present us with material to further discussions:

  1. Shanks v Mihawk
  2. Hand to hand fighters > Swordsmen
  3. Zoro > Luffy
  4. Zoro v Sanji
  5. Is Smoker a top 30 character?
  6. Mihawk's rank within the story
  7. Law having CoC currently.
  8. Katakuri > Kaido/Luffy/Etc.

If you wish to continue any of these discussion and remove it from the list, you will need to provide manga material as proof. If there's also anything you think we've covered numerous times, let me know and I'll update the list.

This is the only warning there'll be regarding these ground rules, anything no adhering will be removed. So please just check your posts before posting them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
Smoker will probably end up being an admiral EOS but the way things are going, if he was at Wano, he would've been dead like 40 chapters ago lol.
If Caribou can survive, Smoker can.
Now this brings me to another question. Instead of killing his enemies, Kaido prefers to break their spirit and tries to recruit them. Does this only apply to pirates? What if Smoker engages Kaido in a battle and loses, would Kaido try to recruit him? Yes we know Kaido has a Marine in his crew (Drake), but Kaido himself doesn't know that. Drake was recruited as a pirate. So, would Kaido try to recruit some strong Marines?
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
If Caribou can survive, Smoker can.
Now this brings me to another question. Instead of killing his enemies, Kaido prefers to break their spirit and tries to recruit them. Does this only apply to pirates? What if Smoker engages Kaido in a battle and loses, would Kaido try to recruit him? Yes we know Kaido has a Marine in his crew (Drake), but Kaido himself doesn't know that. Drake was recruited as a pirate. So, would Kaido try to recruit some strong Marines?
Probably not. Pirates are still Pirates, it's better to have them working for you than against you. Not so much with Marines...
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Drake had already made a name for himself as a former marine who became a pirate, so he already had an in.

Smoker is not only a public marine, but a decently famous one at that. Kaido would likely kill Smoker on principle, as well as any other marine he beat.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Drake was a former Marine. That said, it may have more to do with power.

Drake, Shutenmaru, Luffy, Kidd, Appo, Hawkins... they are all quite powerful. Which Marine like that there's to recruit?
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Why would anyone still think the Vice-Admirals are strong?

Even someone like Bartolomeo can easily defeat a Vice-Admiral.

Gion and Tokikake were introduced to the series as candidates to become Admirals because none of the other Vice-Admirals were worth being appointed.

If the Vice-Admirals were pirates, they would have bounties of 100 million.
Vice Admirals aren't all weak, generalising them like that discredits the ones we know to be strong. I compare the strength level of that rank to your average NW captains. Their strength ranges from Lacroix, Maynard (who was defeated by Barto) to the likes of Garp and Tsuru (and maybe the Buster Call VAs we saw), who would be your strongest NW captains/ Silver Medallists at the tail of Yonkou.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Why would anyone still think the Vice-Admirals are strong?

Even someone like Bartolomeo can easily defeat a Vice-Admiral.

Gion and Tokikake were introduced to the series as candidates to become Admirals because none of the other Vice-Admirals were worth being appointed.

If the Vice-Admirals were pirates, they would have bounties of 100 million.
*stares in Garp*

But goldb addressed it well. Plus, if anything, vice admirals have usually gone up against very strong opponents like Luffy and Bart, no? Bart's no cakewalk either thanks to his barrier barrier fruit.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
*stares in Garp*

But goldb addressed it well. Plus, if anything, vice admirals have usually gone up against very strong opponents like Luffy and Bart, no? Bart's no cakewalk either thanks to his barrier barrier fruit.
Garp is clearly the exception.
 

hokageji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
4,976
Reaction score
3,744
Gender
Male
Country
United States
there are some vice-admrials who could've been an admiral.... those all have the admiral like naming theme, Color+animal...., like momosaigi and Tokkikake...

If we extend that to animal alone, Tsuru and Garp may fit as well, and we know both are strong enough to be admirals.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
It's a confirmed fact straight from Chapter 0 that Garp denied promotions for Admiral and I think that was before Sengoku even became one.
Tsuru's been said to be on his level and an absolute legend.
Other admirals like Momonga have shown to be incredible badasses, that while not on a yonkou's level, were able to fight NW captain's that as far as we know are on the level of Yonkou Commanders.

The "Vice Captain" position is just too wide power-wise.

there are some vice-admrials who could've been an admiral.... those all have the admiral like naming theme, Color+animal...., like momosaigi and Tokkikake...

If we extend that to animal alone, Tsuru and Garp may fit as well, and we know both are strong enough to be admirals.
I didn't know there were viceadmirals that are also named Color+Animal. Are them supposed to also be codenames?
 

hokageji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
4,976
Reaction score
3,744
Gender
Male
Country
United States
yep, those are their code names...
Momousagi's name is Gion
and Tokikaki's name is Chaton

not just the names, they are also based on actors from japanese films like the other 4.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
there are some vice-admrials who could've been an admiral.... those all have the admiral like naming theme, Color+animal...., like momosaigi and Tokkikake...

If we extend that to animal alone, Tsuru and Garp may fit as well, and we know both are strong enough to be admirals.
Those 2 were created by fans iirc in some SBS and Oda couldn't make them admirals since the 3 positions were already taken. So he just kept the suggested names (which included the colour + animal pattern and yes the classic japanese actor combo) . Since it's corroborated by Oda himself I guess we go with it...though I'm still iffy about it.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Those 2 were created by fans iirc in some SBS and Oda couldn't make them admirals since the 3 positions were already taken. So he just kept the suggested names (which included the colour + animal pattern and yes the classic japanese actor combo) . Since it's corroborated by Oda himself I guess we go with it...though I'm still iffy about it.
They officially showed up in 907.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
They officially showed up in 907.
Oh yes, that I know. They've even expanded from that to other sources. I'm just talking about the admiral candidacy and the naming that came up in the SBS by said fans.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh yes, that I know. They've even expanded from that to other sources. I'm just talking about the admiral candidacy and the naming that came up in the SBS by said fans.
Ah, I got you. Eh, I'd go with it being fact. It actually adds a bit more legitimacy to the Vice Admirals. Plus it makes sense that some Vice Admirals were considered internally for the promotion. I like Fujitora, but I always found it weird that they just hired complete strangers into those high ranking roles.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Ah, I got you. Eh, I'd go with it being fact. It actually adds a bit more legitimacy to the Vice Admirals. Plus it makes sense that some Vice Admirals were considered internally for the promotion. I like Fujitora, but I always found it weird that they just hired complete strangers into those high ranking roles.
Ryokyugyu:
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm going to be honest. I never feel like attempting to spell his name.
He's probably the most irrelevant and unnecessary "main" character.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I got you. Eh, I'd go with it being fact. It actually adds a bit more legitimacy to the Vice Admirals. Plus it makes sense that some Vice Admirals were considered internally for the promotion. I like Fujitora, but I always found it weird that they just hired complete strangers into those high ranking roles.
I always saw that as Akainu forgoing tradition (promoting from within the marine ranks) for the sake of power. There were bound to be individuals like Fujitora and Ryokugyu who didn't like neither the pirate or marine life. Likely those who took justice into their own hands and lived in nations not under either pirate protection or WG.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always saw that as Akainu forgoing tradition (promoting from within the marine ranks) for the sake of power. There were bound to be individuals like Fujitora and Ryokugyu who didn't like neither the pirate or marine life. Likely those who took justice into their own hands and lived in nations not under either pirate protection or WG.
That's partially why I wish Oda went a bit more into detail with Bounty Hunters as a concept. That really could've ease them into the story if they existed as the strongest Bounty Hunters alive and Akainu folded them into the marines.

To bring this back around to Smoker, I'll always think he should've been a Bounty Hunter to start with and he could've been recruited along with those two.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
To bring this back around to Smoker, I'll always think he should've been a Bounty Hunter to start with and he could've been recruited along with those two.
I wouldn't change Smoker telling "Eat Shit" to the admirals for anything in the world.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I've just checked out those two "special" Vice Admirals. They both look pretty cool to me, I dig them. And their looks suggest strong DF-users so I'd actually like to watch them in a fight, even if minor.

Hopefully we will see what most of them can do against the Shichibukai soon enough. This is coming from my fanboyism but I'm more eager to see Mihawk fight the marines off than with the current arc.
 
Top