One Piece Power Level Discussion Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Ground Rules for the Power Level Discussion Thread
​

As always, please follow the guidelines set by the Forum Rules that apply across the board.

It's important that discussions from a current chapter are spoiler tagged until 24h have passed from an english release.

  • For the sake of constructive discussion, where and when possible please quote/ source any information you provide. Particularly when it comes to conversations carried over from other threads.
  • Avoid passive agressive posts, sly remarks or baiting/trolling. You can certainly have fun or disagree without it being at someone's expense.
  • Only use anime examples that are canon and as means to provide clarity to pages in the manga. Any other anime material is otherwise non-canon and should only be referenced if it can be proved that the mangaka had approved it.
  • We will strive to avoid repetitive discussions and any extensive battle topics will be guided to the Davy Back fight to existing threads or new ones can be made there.

As of now these topics are shelved due to repetitiveness or until the manga can present us with material to further discussions:

  1. Shanks v Mihawk
  2. Hand to hand fighters > Swordsmen
  3. Zoro > Luffy
  4. Zoro v Sanji
  5. Is Smoker a top 30 character?
  6. Mihawk's rank within the story
  7. Law having CoC currently.
  8. Katakuri > Kaido/Luffy/Etc.

If you wish to continue any of these discussion and remove it from the list, you will need to provide manga material as proof. If there's also anything you think we've covered numerous times, let me know and I'll update the list.

This is the only warning there'll be regarding these ground rules, anything no adhering will be removed. So please just check your posts before posting them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pirate Queen

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
9,681
Reaction score
17,738
Country
United States
Okay, you got me on that part.
Simple mistake. No worries
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

There's another thing to consider. If other pirates and marines in the OP world thought that Mihawk can't win against another pure swordsman like Shanks or, say, Vista, why would they bother acknowledging him as the strongest and don't just refer to him as "Hawk Eyes the considerably strong swordsman"?
It's clear he must have earned the title somehow.
Mihawk earned the title by fighting swordsmen until he was renowned as the strongest. But it was never stated he defeated say Big Mom or Fujitora or even Shanks who he never fought as a Yonko.

Edit: Mihawk factually never fought Vista before the war so there are top tier swordsman that factually haven't fought Mihawk. And YC Vista's swordsmanshio was state to be strong enough to fight Mihawk... Which futher speaks to my point.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Ironically, the first time we are gunna see Mihawk go all out is against Zoro which he will obviously lose...
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Mihawk earned the title by fighting swordsmen until he was renowned as the strongest. But it was never stated he defeated say Big Mom or Fujitora or even Shanks who he never fought as a Yonko.
I think Mihawk is stronger (until proven otherwise whenever we start seeing feats from him) than any pure swordsman in the series.

When I say pure I mean characters like Rayleigh or Shanks who fight only with a sword (at least we think Shanks does. Rayleigh definitely does).
Characters like Big Mom I'm sure that they're inferior to Mihawk in the art of the sword but they have additional powers that probably make them stronger than Mihawk.
We know Mihawk was Shanks' rival back when Shanks had two hands. Even if Shanks became stronger afterwards, I'm sure Mihawk did too and I predict Shanks' now inferior to Mihawk in a 1vs1 unless he has some unheard of ability or DF. Of course I'm only talking of 1vs1; if they fought as pirates and Shanks had his backup of a crew, which is what makes Yonkous so feared, I don't think Mihawk stands a chance against everyone. It's not like I think he can lowdif Shanks.

Mihawk being as strong as an individual as I think he is doesn't make him superior to Yonkou by his lack of crew and ambition (he certainly used to have ambition in the past to become what he is now. But we now know that he just chills and chases pirates around the world just for entertainment. We also know, from Zeref, that he's the kind of guy who could just chase some random crew around the world for waking him from a nap. We never saw him take anything seriously. And he clearly has no interest in the One Piece or in pirate matters other than killing time).

Another telling of Mihawk's strength probably being very high is that he was the first Shichibukai introduced, yet he's the only one we don't know neither his past nor his current bounty. We even learnt Roger's and all of the Yonkou's before his. I'm sure it will be a big surprise for a guy with no companions.

Edit: Mihawk factually never fought Vista before the war so there are top tier swordsman that factually haven't fought Mihawk. And YC Vista's swordsmanshio was state to be strong enough to fight Mihawk... Which futher speaks to my point.
Zoro can also clash swords against Tashigi and take it easy. Some YC clashing swords against Mihawk and Mihawk just chilling (like he has done so far throughout the series) doesn't imply Mihawk is only at Vista's level.
Characters in the OP word have more information of it's history than we do. Mihawk somehow had heard legends of Vista, which we haven't, and Vista most likely knows why Mihawk is considered the strongest swordsman in the world, and that's why, when they clashed, he never questioned his title.


Ironically, the first time we are gunna see Mihawk go all out is against Zoro which he will obviously lose...
I hope you're wrong about this. I'm still hoping we see him be too strong for the marines to capture in this very arc. Or at least see him beat someone strong before we get to the actual Zoro vs Mihawk, even if it's in a flashback about how he started being called the strongest.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

We are assuming Shanks has no DF and fights only with a sword, right? That means he's 100% a swordsman.
If he's a stronger fighter than Mihawk while being 100% a swordsman, then he IS a stronger swordsman. Then Zoro will have to defeat Shanks to become the WSS for real.

Zoro isn't after the WSS "title" as in "I just want the champion belt". He wants to actually be the strongest swordsman because that's the promise he made, but I can't see Zoro fighting Shanks. That will definitely be a fight for Luffy if their crews ever clash. So Mihawk has to be a stronger fighter than Shanks so the plot won't have Zoro fighting Shanks.

That's how I see it. But as I said, I can only explain my reasoning, but I can't debate it for the simple fact that we haven't seen Mihawk being serious yet so it's all speculation.
@Lexusflame This is also another reason why I think Mihawk is stronger than Shanks. This and the fact Shanks' sword hasn't become a black blade.

But as I said before this isn't something I can really debate. I can only give reasons why I think this is the case but the lack of feats from Mihawk makes it son I can't really defend it beyond here.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@Lexusflame This is also another reason why I think Mihawk is stronger than Shanks. This and the fact Shanks' sword hasn't become a black blade.
Personally, I don't think it's necessary in his case, at least, going by what we currently know about blackening.

It raises one's sword rank and the highest rank we've been told about is Supreme Grade. Yoru is Supreme Grade according to databooks. If Shank's sword, Gryphon, is already Supreme Grade, what would be the point of blackening if it's already among the strongest blades around?

Again though, this is only going by what we know about Blackening. If more gets revealed about its qualities, I'm willing to concede when the time comes. Or if it's revealed that Gryphon isn't Supreme Grade.
 

Pirate Queen

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
9,681
Reaction score
17,738
Country
United States
I think Mihawk is stronger (until proven otherwise whenever we start seeing feats from him) than any pure swordsman in the series.

When I say pure I mean characters like Rayleigh or Shanks who fight only with a sword (at least we think Shanks does. Rayleigh definitely does).
Characters like Big Mom I'm sure that they're inferior to Mihawk in the art of the sword but they have additional powers that probably make them stronger than Mihawk.
We know Mihawk was Shanks' rival back when Shanks had two hands. Even if Shanks became stronger afterwards, I'm sure Mihawk did too and I predict Shanks' now inferior to Mihawk in a 1vs1 unless he has some unheard of ability or DF. Of course I'm only talking of 1vs1; if they fought as pirates and Shanks had his backup of a crew, which is what makes Yonkous so feared, I don't think Mihawk stands a chance against everyone. It's not like I think he can lowdif Shanks.

Mihawk being as strong as an individual as I think he is doesn't make him superior to Yonkou by his lack of crew and ambition (he certainly used to have ambition in the past to become what he is now. But we now know that he just chills and chases pirates around the world just for entertainment. We also know, from Zeref, that he's the kind of guy who could just chase some random crew around the world for waking him from a nap. We never saw him take anything seriously. And he clearly has no interest in the One Piece or in pirate matters other than killing time).

Another telling of Mihawk's strength probably being very high is that he was the first Shichibukai introduced, yet he's the only one we don't know neither his past nor his current bounty. We even learnt Roger's and all of the Yonkou's before his. I'm sure it will be a big surprise for a guy with no companions.


Zoro can also clash swords against Tashigi and take it easy. Some YC clashing swords against Mihawk and Mihawk just chilling (like he has done so far throughout the series) doesn't imply Mihawk is only at Vista's level.
Characters in the OP word have more information of it's history than we do. Mihawk somehow had heard legends of Vista, which we haven't, and Vista most likely knows why Mihawk is considered the strongest swordsman in the world, and that's why, when they clashed, he never questioned his title.



I hope you're wrong about this. I'm still hoping we see him be too strong for the marines to capture in this very arc. Or at least see him beat someone strong before we get to the actual Zoro vs Mihawk, even if it's in a flashback about how he started being called the strongest.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


@Lexusflame This is also another reason why I think Mihawk is stronger than Shanks. This and the fact Shanks' sword hasn't become a black blade.

But as I said before this isn't something I can really debate. I can only give reasons why I think this is the case but the lack of feats from Mihawk makes it son I can't really defend it beyond here.
Great points that I'll have to address tonight. I'm at work so I can't respond at this time. Didn't want you thinking I ignored you.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Personally, I don't think it's necessary in his case, at least, going by what we currently know about blackening.

It raises one's sword rank and the highest rank we've been told about is Supreme Grade. Yoru is Supreme Grade according to databooks. If Shank's sword, Gryphon, is already Supreme Grade, what would be the point of blackening if it's already among the strongest blades around?

Again though, this is only going by what we know about Blackening. If more gets revealed about its qualities, I'm willing to concede when the time comes. Or if it's revealed that Gryphon isn't Supreme Grade.
I may be wrong about this but what I understood from the manga explanation is that blackening isn't really a voluntary act, but something that happens naturally over the course of using a blade over a long course of time with perfect mastery (and possibly some sort of bond similar to the one that can occur with ships (Klabautermann) but this is just me speculating untold possibilities), and not something a swordsman just voluntarly decides to do to its blade to gain a concrete advantage.

If I'm right, which I don't really know, it would mean that it doesn't matter if Gryphon can become greater than it already is or if it would remain as strong/durable as it is now; it should still happen naturally over time, but so far only Ryuuma and Mihawk have achieved this (that we know of).

We don't know Gryphon's rank but I'm willing to assume it's Supreme Grade if it's in the hands of a Yonkou.

Great points that I'll have to address tonight. I'm at work so I can't respond at this time. Didn't want you thinking I ignored you.
Take all the time you need!
 

nik87

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
3,658
Reaction score
3,348
Country
The Wall
Mihawk will be easier and easier to scale as we keep seeing Zoro scoring wins against top tiers, Mihawk is automatically stronger than all of them since he will come later in the story. We can also see that Zoro's swordsmanship actually isnt changing while the only things that change are physical strength and haki.
That makes it clear that WSS isnt about skill but about everything you can possibly use. Oda also has never said that any ability is prohibited, such as DF...
 

Pirate Queen

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
9,681
Reaction score
17,738
Country
United States
I think Mihawk is stronger (until proven otherwise whenever we start seeing feats from him) than any pure swordsman in the series.

When I say pure I mean characters like Rayleigh or Shanks who fight only with a sword (at least we think Shanks does. Rayleigh definitely does).
Characters like Big Mom I'm sure that they're inferior to Mihawk in the art of the sword but they have additional powers that probably make them stronger than Mihawk.
We know Mihawk was Shanks' rival back when Shanks had two hands. Even if Shanks became stronger afterwards, I'm sure Mihawk did too and I predict Shanks' now inferior to Mihawk in a 1vs1 unless he has some unheard of ability or DF. Of course I'm only talking of 1vs1; if they fought as pirates and Shanks had his backup of a crew, which is what makes Yonkous so feared, I don't think Mihawk stands a chance against everyone. It's not like I think he can lowdif Shanks.

Mihawk being as strong as an individual as I think he is doesn't make him superior to Yonkou by his lack of crew and ambition (he certainly used to have ambition in the past to become what he is now. But we now know that he just chills and chases pirates around the world just for entertainment. We also know, from Zeref, that he's the kind of guy who could just chase some random crew around the world for waking him from a nap. We never saw him take anything seriously. And he clearly has no interest in the One Piece or in pirate matters other than killing time).

Another telling of Mihawk's strength probably being very high is that he was the first Shichibukai introduced, yet he's the only one we don't know neither his past nor his current bounty. We even learnt Roger's and all of the Yonkou's before his. I'm sure it will be a big surprise for a guy with no companions.
It seems we are in general agreement here. But I would argue this. There is no evidence that Mihawk is stronger than Shanks. I fact Shanks has far greater feats than Mihawk. Clashed with WB AND Akainu whereas Mihawk only clashed with Vista. Whether Mihawk was serious or not it was a poor showing for anyone of Yonko Rank. Replace Mihawk with Kaido or BM. Imagine them fighting to a stand still and requesting to postpone a fight... it's utterly ridiculous to think they would even bother. If Mihawk was truly Yonko levl he wouldn't have needed to try to defeat Vista, he would have swept past them. If we are talking feats alone, you can't possibly say Mihawk > Shanks.

Zoro can also clash swords against Tashigi and take it easy. Some YC clashing swords against Mihawk and Mihawk just chilling (like he has done so far throughout the series) doesn't imply Mihawk is only at Vista's level.
Characters in the OP word have more information of it's history than we do. Mihawk somehow had heard legends of Vista, which we haven't, and Vista most likely knows why Mihawk is considered the strongest swordsman in the world, and that's why, when they clashed, he never questioned his title.
I didn't mean to imply Mihawk was Vista level, but Vistas swordsmanship is 100% capable of challenging Mihawk in a real fight. It was shown on the Manga and stated in the Vivre Cards. Which goes back to my point that the reason Vista was able to challenge Mihawk the WSS is because the WSS title is about the strength of your swordsmanship not overall strength.


I hope you're wrong about this. I'm still hoping we see him be too strong for the marines to capture in this very arc. Or at least see him beat someone strong before we get to the actual Zoro vs Mihawk, even if it's in a flashback about how he started being called the strongest.
Mihawk isn't important enough for us to have a flashback for him unless it is Shanks flashback. But we can hope...
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
It seems we are in general agreement here. But I would argue this. There is no evidence that Mihawk is stronger than Shanks. I fact Shanks has far greater feats than Mihawk. Clashed with WB AND Akainu whereas Mihawk only clashed with Vista. Whether Mihawk was serious or not it was a poor showing for anyone of Yonko Rank. Replace Mihawk with Kaido or BM. Imagine them fighting to a stand still and requesting to postpone a fight... it's utterly ridiculous to think they would even bother. If Mihawk was truly Yonko levl he wouldn't have needed to try to defeat Vista, he would have swept past them. If we are talking feats alone, you can't possibly say Mihawk > Shanks.
I know Mihawk lacks feats, he just hasn't done close to anything throughout the series so I can't argue these points despite my faith on Mihawk's strength.

However, I can say two things.

I may sound a bit subjective on this topic, but please bear in mind that this is my personal interpretation a character that is still mostly unknown to us readers. Mihawk is possibly my favorite character of the series, but that's not the reason why I think he's that strong, I'm not that kind of fanboy; it's the reason why I try to pay close attention to anything he does or that is said about him.

1. Big Mom has been trashed around by Jimbei (he sent her flying with a punch) and by Queen (he literally trashed her around at first) despite still being considered considerably stronger than them. If those were BM's only appearances and we hadn't seen everything else from her, she too would seem like only around Yonkou Commander level. Mihawk so far lacks appearances and feats, both good and bad, to properly gauge him. Vista is a YC, so it makes sense that even if Mihawk was stronger than Shanks, Vista should still be strong enough to clash swords with him as long as Mihawk isn't willing to go all out.

2. Mihawk's more laidback than any Yonkou other than possibly Shanks (and I'd argue he's more laidback than Shanks since Shanks at least has built an Empire while Mihawk is content just chilling in solitude). This can easily justify how easy he usually goes on everyone.

I feel like the main reason why most people don't want to see Mihawk as the powerhouse that I think he is, is because he's "just a Shichibukai, not a Yonkou" and because he didn't take anyone important down at Marineford. I justify both things through his personality. He doesn't care about territories, the One Piece, Poneglyphs or the World Government (he was mentioned as one of the Shichibukai who ignores most of the marine calls); he was just an extremely strong individual, confirmed to have been at some point at a similar level to Shanks with no canon indication to have fallen behind, who could not possibly become a Yonkou because he didn't have a crew nor was interested in conquering, who became a Shichibukai as a means to not be bothered any more by the marines and achieve a more laidback life.

I didn't mean to imply Mihawk was Vista level, but Vistas swordsmanship is 100% capable of challenging Mihawk in a real fight. It was shown on the Manga and stated in the Vivre Cards. Which goes back to my point that the reason Vista was able to challenge Mihawk the WSS is because the WSS title is about the strength of your swordsmanship not overall strength.
It's hard to talk about what it means to be the Strongest Swordsman because we haven't got any clarification but until there's prove that it's not about strength (strength that comes thanks to the skill) I'm willing to take the title literally. That's Zoro's ambition, to be the strongest swordsman, and the only way to proof it is to defeat the strongest swordsman. The only way to decide he's stronger is by a victory, so if Mihawk was the "most skilled" but somehow other swordsmen could defeat him, then Mihawk wouldn't be that much of a final objective for Zoro.

The thing is that all high level swordsmen are capable of decent haki. Swords like Enma even make it so that you can't even use them if you don't have an extraordinary control over CoA. It would also be pointless to be incredibly skilled with the blade if some other swordsman could just appear and cut through your sword thanks to his haki. So I assume that to be able to make others acknowledge you as the strongest swordsman, you really should be the strongest in the "swordsmanship+haki" field. There's no other way to prove that you're a better swordsman than to defeat someone else and earn it. For all we know Mihawk could have defeated Shanks in the past. We were never told how their past fights went, the only thing we know is that Shanks doesn't have the title.

I think there are many swordsmen who can clash swords with Mihawk without being instantly destroyed by him; probably even Zoro could do so now. But I don't think they can actually take him down.

Mihawk isn't important enough for us to have a flashback for him unless it is Shanks flashback. But we can hope...
But he is important enough! It's just not his time yet to be more involved in the story.
It took more than a decade to learn about the Donquixote family and Doflamingo's origins. The Strawhats had just defeated Crocodile when he was first introduced and yet Doflamingo served as the last overpowered villain in the New World before challeging the Yonkous.
Mihawk is the endgame objective for Zoro to achieve his life dream and as such he's much more important than Doflamingo to the story. Mihawk is Zoro's equivalent of the One Piece for Luffy. Whenever the arc in which Mihawk will be confronted comes, I'm positive we will learn more about his past and about his title, if not before.

I agree with @nik87 in that as Zoro defeats Yonkou Commanders, Mihawk level will keep getting confirmed as higher and higher, because he's bound to be defeated after them and has to be the biggest challenge for him.

I do not agree however in that the Strongest Swordsman title implies being stronger than any character who wields a sword even if they also have strong Devil Fruits or whatever. I only support, so far, that Mihawk is stronger than swordsmen that don't have additional powers (other than haki). And that's already plenty overpowered.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Another way to interpret how Vista could clash swords with Mihawk is to look at Oden's flashback.

Oden was able to clash swords with Whitebeard when they first met and only by that panel, Whitebeard showed so much surprise that they could be seen even as more or less equals physically. However, later on they met Roger. Oden tried to greet Roger exactly the same way he had clashed with Whitebeard before and was instead easily sent flying by Roger, who then properly clashed against Whitebeard for real and shook the whole island.

I don't know if I'm properly getting across what I mean by this, but something along the lines of "when a clash is short and there's no willingness to fight for real, characters that aren't really on the same tier can fight on seemingly equal terms".
 
Last edited:

nik87

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
3,658
Reaction score
3,348
Country
The Wall
do not agree however in that the Strongest Swordsman title implies being stronger as any character who wields a sword even if they also have strong Devil Fruits or whatever. I only support, so far, that Mihawk is stronger than swordsmen that don't have additional powers (other than haki). And that's already plenty overpowered
Why not? Is Kizaru's DF not strong enough to defeat Rayleigh?
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Why not? Is Kizaru's DF not strong enough to defeat Rayleigh?
I don't know who would win between those two to be honest. None went all out yet they both came out perfectly fine if not for the small cut on Kizaru's face.

However if Rayleigh > Kizaru then Mihawk > Rayleigh > Kizaru. To me.

But what I mean is that the WSS title alone doesn't guarantee things like Mihawk > Big Mom just because she wields a blade because her strength definitely doesn't come from being a swordsman.

Also I better correct some grammar from that paragraph you quoted.
 

nik87

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
3,658
Reaction score
3,348
Country
The Wall
I don't know who would win between those two to be honest. None went all out yet they both came out perfectly fine if not for the small cut on Kizaru's face.

However if Rayleigh > Kizaru then Mihawk > Rayleigh > Kizaru. To me.

But what I mean is that the WSS title alone doesn't guarantee things like Mihawk > Big Mom just because she wields a blade because her strength definitely doesn't come from being a swordsman.

Also I better correct some grammar from that paragraph you quoted.
My point is that DF's are like cheap tricks when facing swordsmen and dont help to beat a swordsman. Shooting some lasers at Rayleigh would do nothing...

Big Moms soul thing wont help either... What are couple of hommies gonna achieve against a top tier when they cant do anything to far weaker characters? We are talking about a cloud and fire here, they will make Mihawk lose? ...
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
My point is that DF's are like cheap tricks when facing swordsmen and dont help to beat a swordsman. Shooting some lasers at Rayleigh would do nothing...

Big Moms soul thing wont help either... What are couple of hommies gonna achieve against a top tier when they cant do anything to far weaker characters? We are talking about a cloud and fire here, they will make Mihawk lose? ...
The homies combined with Big Mom's ability to snatch part of someone's soul instantly like she did to one of her son's with just a touch of her hand could give her an edge.

Honestly I don't know, but my point is that despite carrying a sword, BM's not a swordsman in the sense that Shanks or Mihawk are, so she's not immediately weaker than the WSS going just by the title alone. She could still be weaker, though, I don't know. I don't have a solid opinion on her strength.

I don't know how she ranks compared to Mihawk, Kaido or Shanks.
 

McNuss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
2,995
Reaction score
2,436
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
If the 7 Warlord fight a Yonko all together at once, they will lose.

Comparing just the original ones:

When Whitebeard's remaining 13 Commanders, and Crocodile and Andre faced Akainu...

... he steamrolled through Curiel.

We know that Doflamingo is one shot by Kuzan.

Arguably the best vs Yonko/Admiral feats in the series among the Shishibukai has Jinbe. He even is close to the top of all current characters here. There are really few characters with any remarkable feats vs those.

Moria and Crocodile are definitely weaker than those two, that much is set in stone.

Kuma is arguably a cheat, as he could just send the Admiral/Yonko away but I wouldn't count that as defeating them for that purpose here.

Based on Marco/Jozu vs Akainu, we can asume that anything below Yonko/Admiral is incapable of inflicting significant damage even with Haki against the Logia Admirals.

The fight would probably go like this:

Moria gets immediately murdered. Same would apply for PX-0 but not the original Kuma.

Then Doflamingo gets taken out because he is a cocky bastard.

Crocodile is more careful but just can't keep up here. He probably dies the moment he is forced into close quarter combat.

Jinbe may have the best feats but he also got his limits shown. He shouldn't be able to last an hour of serious battle.

So the real question is how long can Hancock, Mihawk and Kuma last vs an Yonko or Admiral. Probably not that long either.

If we take the Shishibukai as a full force with their crews, they are a stronger force than the "Fifth Emperor" Luffy's Grand Fleet, but weaker than any individual Yonko Crew and a small fly compared to the Marines.

The "Three Great Powers" are essentially a WG construct. The Shishibukai aren't just about power, but also about propaganda. It was quite prestigious for the WG to have the fifth to eleventh (in the public's eyes) most powerful pirate "in check" and "totally just raiding other pirates".
 

thedude

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
3,045
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's hard to talk about what it means to be the Strongest Swordsman because we haven't got any clarification but until there's prove that it's not about strength (strength that comes thanks to the skill) I'm willing to take the title literally. That's Zoro's ambition, to be the strongest swordsman, and the only way to proof it is to defeat the strongest swordsman. The only way to decide he's stronger is by a victory, so if Mihawk was the "most skilled" but somehow other swordsmen could defeat him, then Mihawk wouldn't be that much of a final objective for Zoro.
This is the point i want to drill down on. Big Mom uses a sword. She has used it pretty well every fight we've seen her have. Do you think Mihawk would beat her? If she is stronger than Mihawk because of all of her attributes, her strength, her durability, her Devil Fruit, and she beats him in a fight, is she then the worlds strongest swords(wo)man?

I also don't see Mihawk "growing" in stature with each Zoro victory. Unless Zoro fights actual swordsmen, it doesn't say anything about Mihawk. If King fights Zoro in his Zoan form mostly, flying around shooting fire at him, then loses, that says nothing about Mihawk's strength really (I hope King is a great Swordsman and fights Zoro with that sword, using his hybrid form for extra strength. In that case, yes, Mihawk is stronger than King!).

The way I see things with Shanks vs Mihawk is this:

Shanks stopped Kaido from going to Marineford. Shanks crew is tiny. Kaido left rather than fight.

Shanks and his tiny crew stopped the war. Akainu who moments earlier was shouting to not let a single pirate escape didn't lift a finger to go after Shanks.

Big Mom outright stated that if only she had the giants on her side she could defeat Shanks. Big Mom has a monster crew of her children who dwarf Shanks crew in size.

Now, for sure that means Shanks crew all have to be strong. but then people argue that Mihawk would be the strongest commander in the crew, which I can even agree with...but then doesn't that imply that the captain must be a monster of a man as well, someone at the pinnacle of the Yonko?

I just cant see him being below Mihawk. If we even had a slight indication taht Mihawk was stronger than him in the past, maybe? But even then we don't. And Shanks became an emperor after this, after he lost his arm. Hell, he even uses his sword in his off hand, not his dominant one anymore. And yet...he's still strong enough to stop Akainu. And Kaido. And make Big Mom think twice about attacking him with her current crew.
 
Last edited:

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
If the 7 Warlord fight a Yonko all together at once, they will lose.

Comparing just the original ones:

When Whitebeard's remaining 13 Commanders, and Crocodile and Andre faced Akainu...

... he steamrolled through Curiel.
That would be assuming that 13 commanders are comparable to the Shichibukai, no?

But from the commanders present, I think only Marco and Vista were up to the task.

Speaking of Curiel, he fought Moriah. Would that put the rest of the commanders around the Supernovas level?
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Why name the character world's STRONGEST swordsman if it should be world's SKILLEST swordsman?
The other two world's strongest titles clearly refer to the strength, why isnt the 3rd WSx title referring to the same?
Also, where does the problem lie in Mihawk being above every other swordsman as the title says? Other than fans not liking it.
PK title doesnt represent strength like World Strongest titles do.
Someone who's the most skilled is also the strongest or can be the strongest.
 

AmitDS

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
1,862
Age
33
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
The homies combined with Big Mom's ability to snatch part of someone's soul instantly like she did to one of her son's with just a touch of her hand could give her an edge.

Honestly I don't know, but my point is that despite carrying a sword, BM's not a swordsman in the sense that Shanks or Mihawk are, so she's not immediately weaker than the WSS going just by the title alone. She could still be weaker, though, I don't know. I don't have a solid opinion on her strength.

I don't know how she ranks compared to Mihawk, Kaido or Shanks.
Thus far she's equal to Shanks and Kaido as they are held in the same regard narrative wise (the elders' comment for example) and she clashed with Kaido and they fought evenly for days. If Kaido were stronger he'd have overpowered her and beaten her but he didn't and they were portrayed as equals with their initial clash as well.
 

albertwv

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2019
Messages
865
Reaction score
797
Age
30
Country
United States
The 7 Warlords can not defeat a single Yonko crew especially if the Yonko participates in the fight. Doffy at best is 2-3rd YC level not 1st YC. Mihawk is arguably 1st YC higher. Kuma maybe 2nd YC, Hancock maybe 3rd YC.
Regarding Hancock and Kuma, I don't see them being stronger than Doffy.

Also, hopefully we dont go back to the old Mihawk WSS title >>> Shanks or any swordsmen.
Mihawk is the BEST swordsman but will lose to BM and Shanks overall fight. IDC what Nik says.
 

Core D. Roy

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
7,363
Reaction score
9,272
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Edit: Wait, what black blade did Oden create? Both Enma and Ame no Habakiri aren't black.
Whoa yeah, I was totally misremembering that. I got it confused with the line of dialogue about "if Zoro can turn Enma into a black blade". That makes it even more apparent that to be WSS, you gotta make a black blade. It's just *that* exclusive of a club for swordsmanship.
 
Top