Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
​

This is Moegara from the One Piece forum, as most people here know me as.

@Kiki and @Cyanobacteria brought to my attention that most most active staffers have a thread like this and suggested I follow suit, so here we are.

I don't really know what I should say about myself here, but any and all questions and suggestions are welcomed.
 
Last edited:

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
You're gonna do the full MangaHelpers' route.
I's coincidental that a lot of the MH users are from there. I wouldn't mind meeting up with people.


I heard many MHers have visited each other. They had meetups a lot, especially americans and europeans. I envy haha
Yea me too. Isn't travel between the EU countries really cheap? So it kind of makes sense. We'll make it work Kiki-senpai
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Mmmh. On second thought I may not resize it. When I do so in Photoshop it just becomes too pixeled. I guess some will just see chests.
 

Ramen

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Messages
7,997
Reaction score
8,492
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
HA! @Demonspeed is lurking but refuses to make a MtM thread. Caught blue handed. :3c
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

When I do so in Photoshop it just becomes too pixeled. I guess some will just see chests.
You ezgif.com That's what I use.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
HA! @Demonspeed is lurking but refuses to make a MtM thread. Caught blue handed. :3c
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



You ezgif.com That's what I use.
Okay, I used that now. Well, the square version on the profile pixelates either way, and I really dislike that (it does not pixelate when the picture is not manually resized) but there you go.
 

Static

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
5,918
Reaction score
10,237
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
True enough, but nevertheless it was a great read so I don't regret anything. :noworry


I have two names but I never go by the second, so Alejandro, with a hard "j". Or just Alex, either is fine.


Germany, the country of beer.


29. Life's going by so fast. :noworry


I used to work as both a language teacher and a translator (into Spanish).


Off the top of my head.

From manga: Roronoa Zoro, Mihawk, Madarame Baku, Aizen Sōsuke, Kyōraku no Jirō Sakuranosuke Shunsui, Yami Sukehiro, Chrollo Lucilfer (since recently)...

From videogames: Dante, Vergil, Solid Snake, Crash Bandicoot, Sephiroth...

From books: Aragorn II, Rand al'Thor, Kvothe, Gotrek... It's very easy to see what genre of books I'm into.

From comicbooks: John Constantine, Superman, Mortadelo, Superlópez, Tintin, Wolverine, Batman, Green Lantern... I like Marvel as well but I've always liked DC characters more.


I have 871 games on Steam. Although many of them are crap from Humble Bundle. But yeah, also LoL and Overwatch from time to time. I only game on PC.


Right now? Enough to have a roof. I'm trying to work something out to better my current situation, so no worries.


I don't really follow many TV shows but... I liked The Witcher, Daredevil, Lucifer... Also that Locke and Key series is pretty good.

For movies, I love certain comedies like the Cornetto Trilogy, but obviously others like the MCU as a whole. Most mainstream stuff I like.

Of course The Lord of the Rings trilogy tops most of them.


A lot of high fantasy novels + other novels I had to read for college like The Catcher in the Rye.


Genetics and divine providence.


I don't know the answer to that but, as promised, everything's answered.
Sorry for the late reply. :feelsbadman

Also, since I'm too lazy to quote each and every answer seperately, I'll just refer them to using numbers. :P

1) So hard j means actually pronouncing the j right? Like, simply Alejandro instead of how some would say Aleyandro? Or am I wrong?

2) Germany is one country I'm interested it. Not just for the history or culture but a lot of Germans I've met online are nice people. Hope I can visit it someday along with many other places. :nod

3) You're a good 10 years older than me lol. Almost uncle age. :p Can I call you Moe-senpai?

4) How is it like being a language teacher? Languages subjects are always one subject that, in my experience, a lot of people find hard since they're not direct subjects where you can just memorize something and then get good grades.

5) Out of the manga list, I'd say Aizen and Kyoraku are the only ones I'm familiar with. I never read OP or Usogui so can't speak for the first three and Chrollo is indeed a pretty good character but I would personally rank Meruem, Hisoka and Killua as above him.

Only familiar with Sephiroth from the video games one. :( He's one of my absolutely favorite video game villains and characters in general (although I'd say Kefka from FF6 is a better villain). Also, I've been meaning to play DMC and MGS series for a while now. Where do I begin?

Not really much into comic books or superheroes so can't speak for that lol...

I'm really glad to have found another high fantasy fan here :XD ! Lord Of The Rings, Wheel Of Time, Kingkiller Chronicles and Warhammer...all amazing classics. LoTR is obviously one of my all time favorites in everything, it just resonates with me.

6) That's...a lot, lol. What's your Steam ID? Hope you don't mind me adding you. :nod I'm also a PC-only gamer though I MAY consider getting an Xbox Series X if the benchmarks for it end up equivalent to mid-high end PC's like its specs suggest. And Gamepass is just too good to pass up on, especially not that Microsoft will have Zenimax and EA games on it day-one as well.

7) Hope you succeed in whatever endeavors you have to go through. :amuse

8) Same tbh. I've never been much interested in TV shows or movies. Always engaged more in video games, anime and books since childhood. How does The Witcher show compare to the novels? I've read the novels but haven't watched the show. Is it faithful to the source material?

And yes, LoTR is an all-time great.

9) Can we be as beautiful as you? :0

10) That's one of the top 10 mysteries scientists will never be able to answer.
 

Kiki

MIRAXUS FOREVER
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,668
Reaction score
31,971
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail
English and French IIRC. Not indonesian, of course. I only learnt the basics when I was already there.
what's your thoughts about Indonesia? how did they treat you? :D
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Sorry for the late reply. :feelsbadman

Also, since I'm too lazy to quote each and every answer seperately, I'll just refer them to using numbers. :P
Don't worry. A forum has no time countdown. I'll be dissecting your post but you're free to structure your posts however you please.

1) So hard j means actually pronouncing the j right? Like, simply Alejandro instead of how some would say Aleyandro? Or am I wrong?
That's exactly what I meant. I specify it because I recently met a Jordan girl who was surprised to learn the "j" isn't read as "y" in Spanish.

2) Germany is one country I'm interested it. Not just for the history or culture but a lot of Germans I've met online are nice people. Hope I can visit it someday along with many other places. :nod
Turns out many of MH members are from Germany. I don't speak German yet, I have been here for less than a year yet!


3) You're a good 10 years older than me lol. Almost uncle age. :p Can I call you Moe-senpai?
So you're a teenager? Wow, you're young! I don't mind being an uncle or senpai, they're actually very respectful ways of calling me old. :XD

4) How is it like being a language teacher? Languages subjects are always one subject that, in my experience, a lot of people find hard since they're not direct subjects where you can just memorize something and then get good grades.
It varies greatly depending of the age of the people you're teaching to. Kids learn with less effort but they're more easy to distract and harder to focus. It's true that I'm switching carreers from that, but not because I dislike teaching; I actually love it, but I think it's a vocational thing that others may simply hate.

5) Out of the manga list, I'd say Aizen and Kyoraku are the only ones I'm familiar with. I never read OP or Usogui so can't speak for the first three and Chrollo is indeed a pretty good character but I would personally rank Meruem, Hisoka and Killua as above him.
I'm still not done with the HxH manga. I only read up to Green Island, so I still don't know Meruem. However, I do like Chrollo more than Hisoka, but I love them both.

From the MC group Killua is probably the coolest. The one I like the least is Kurapica.

And obviously OP and Usogui are very recommended reads.

Only familiar with Sephiroth from the video games one. :( He's one of my absolutely favorite video game villains and characters in general (although I'd say Kefka from FF6 is a better villain). Also, I've been meaning to play DMC and MGS series for a while now. Where do I begin?
DMC and MGS are like Star Wars; you can choose if you want to play them according to the chronology of the plot or according to the order they came out.

Going by the plot, you should play...

- DMC 3, DMC 1, DMC 4, DMC 2, DMC V.

Although, to be honest, DMC 2 you can skip entirely. The woman from that game isn't even referenced in V as far as I know, and it's also the DMC with the worst controls.

I love the saga and the Sparda twins. They are among the most badass characters in fiction.

There's also Devil may Cry (with a small m) which was the remake attempt they made before V. It's basically a spin-off that changes the story and look of the characters entirely, along with their power sets, but the characters there aren't half as good as in the original.

- MGS 3, MGS: Peace Walker, MGS: V (MGS: Ground Zeros + MGS: The Phantom Pain), MG 1, MG 2 (these two are "Metal Gear", instead of "Metal Gear Solid", it's the two games that came out first), MGS 1, MGS 2, MGS 4. And finally, although it's a bit of a spin-off "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance".

It takes A LOT OF HOURS to play through the whole MGS saga, but it's one that warms my heart. MGS 4, if played after at least 1, 2 and 3, is full of emotion and nostalgia. They're stealth games but at times they feel like well-written movies.

Both DMC and MGS are finished. Capcom said there won't be more games about Dante and Vergil and Konami fired Kojima, the man behind every MGS, but retained the rights to the games, so that's it for both sagas.

Not really much into comic books or superheroes so can't speak for that lol...
Really? I mean, to each their own, of course, but I thought that now everybody watched at least the Marvel movies!

I'm really glad to have found another high fantasy fan here :XD ! Lord Of The Rings, Wheel Of Time, Kingkiller Chronicles and Warhammer...all amazing classics. LoTR is obviously one of my all time favorites in everything, it just resonates with me.
I'm really glad someone recognizes the names! It's the best genre there is, together with grim dark fantasy. I have a lot of hours in Dark Souls. :XD

6) That's...a lot, lol. What's your Steam ID? Hope you don't mind me adding you. :nod I'm also a PC-only gamer though I MAY consider getting an Xbox Series X if the benchmarks for it end up equivalent to mid-high end PC's like its specs suggest. And Gamepass is just too good to pass up on, especially not that Microsoft will have Zenimax and EA games on it day-one as well.
Yeah, sure. I was thinking of adding it here under a spoiler censor but I guess I better just MP it. If anyone else reads this and wants my Steam ID, just ask or send me yours by MP and I'll add you.

Right now economically it would be too irresponsible for me to buy a console, but if I were to buy one I'd probably buy a PS5. I just hate not being able to play some of their exclusives that I love the most (Uncharted 4, TLOU 2, Spider-Man and the UFC games. If the Demon's Souls remake turns out to also be exclusive I'll be mad).

7) Hope you succeed in whatever endeavors you have to go through. :amuse
Thank you. :)

8) Same tbh. I've never been much interested in TV shows or movies. Always engaged more in video games, anime and books since childhood. How does The Witcher show compare to the novels? I've read the novels but haven't watched the show. Is it faithful to the source material?
Plotwise it is very faithful, which is great. I love the The Witcher videogames but I'm glad they chose to represent the novels instead of them.

I don't approve all of their casting choices, and I'm glad they rectified the actres for Ciri for one that is more accurate to her looks, but either way they're all good actos and Henry Cavill is just the best as always.

And yes, LoTR is an all-time great.
:cookiehand

9) Can we be as beautiful as you? :0
Of course. I'll say one serious thing on this topic, as someone who has gone through many different stages in life. Often, it is not about what genetics or whatever one has, but about how much one takes care of oneself, both in exercising and in just taking care of one's looks in general.

Taking care of your looks will both open doors in life and just make you feel better in general.


what's your thoughts about Indonesia? how did they treat you? :D
To be honest I think I have never been treated better than I was in Indonesia. There were some things I did not like here and there but the experience was very positive either way. :hee Mostly because people were very cordial and friendly, which is a fair rarer thing in Europe (not to say no one is here, it also varies a lot from place to place. Live in Barcelona had nothing to do with life here in Germany).

What I didn't like, however, from my own short personal experience, is that some workers weren't very... professional. :grumble I'm talking especifically about taxi drivers, house cleaners and repairmen.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Although, I think @Ramen mentioned he's on a computer, which is wierd.
If that's the case then I'm inclined to think the issue he has is particular to him, as XF should be auto resizing all avatar images.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I really admire Oda, and I could say that he's my second favorite mangaka.
Who's the first? Is it Takehiko Inoue?
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Who's the first? Is it Takehiko Inoue?
I love Vagabond and I'm very fond of Takehiko's realistic drawing style, but it's actually Toshio Sako.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Very great artist.
Absolutely. Of course it's not like I don't love the work of many other different mangakas but his work is just special to me.

And also
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I love Vagabond and I'm very fond of Takehiko's realistic drawing style, but it's actually Toshio Sako.
I still haven't read Usogui, I'm sure I have it somewhere on my MAL. That and Sun Ken Rock I was meant to read at some point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Absolutely. Of course it's not like I don't love the work of many other different mangakas but his work is just special to me.

And also
Holy shit, he's also a boxer? great physical condition though. He's whooping every other mangaka.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I still haven't read Usogui, I'm sure I have it somewhere on my MAL. That and Sun Ken Rock I was meant to read at some point.
I always recommend Usogui as my favorite manga, but I should also mention Batuque, Toshio's current manga about a capoeira fighter girl.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Holy shit, he's also a boxer? great physical condition though. He's whooping every other mangaka.
He's actually more MMA, he practices capoeira which is what inspired the Batuque manga.

I just have to admire him. Top physical condition, top quality drawings, good stories, very smart puzzles in said stories.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Since I'm kind of promoting Toshio, I'll also mention another thing about him. He started as an assistant to a very famous mangaka (and it kind of shows in some of the poses his characters make at times).

 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Oh the capoeira manga looks great!

And he worked for Araki? that's pretty awesome. It's always interesting to see where prominent mangaka had gotten their start from.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Oh the capoeira manga looks great!

And he worked for Araki? that's pretty awesome. It's always interesting to see where prominent mangaka had gotten their start from.
Yeah, I like knowing what mangas they have worked at in the past and trying to see if there are any tells of inspiration coming from those, like Toshio with JoJo or Oda with Rurouni Kenshin.

Knowing more or less what I like, would you have any manga recommendation that isn't too well known? I'm always looking to expand my to-read list.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I like knowing what mangas they have worked at in the past and trying to see if there are any tells of inspiration coming from those, like Toshio with JoJo or Oda with Rurouni Kenshin.

Knowing more or less what I like, would you have any manga recommendation that isn't too well known? I'm always looking to expand my to-read list.
Also the Hirouki Takei (Shaman King) worked for Watsuki; so that's a decent list of assistants Watsuki has. There are probably many more popular mangaka who were assistants to others.

Oh tough one, I don't really do manga recommendations, simply because I don't read very much else besides OP, Golden Kamuy (which I'm behind) and OPM. But one series that I'm sure you'll like if you haven't read it already is The Breaker. I recommended the same to Ramen. Exceptional art, funny, lots of action and fights and the story is really good too.

If I do come across anything else I'll give you a shout.
 

Kiki

MIRAXUS FOREVER
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,668
Reaction score
31,971
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail
now that I found out that smoker is moe and revo's fav, I can spam in this thread :e3

have many smoker fanarts saved in my laptop :XD







credits to the owner
 
Top