Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
I think Toriko, at it’s sales peak, was actually outselling Bleach at one point. Of course, this was after Bleach had declined in sales.

Personally, I resented Toriko early on for that exact reason. I was super hardcore into Bleach, and them promoting it over Bleach pissed me off.

But later on, I finally decided to give Toriko a chance and I became completely amazed by the series.
That never happened, Bleach at its absolute lowest still sold 402,316 in 4 weeks with volume 72, while Toriko at its absolute peak sold 387,777 in 4 weeks with volume 20.

That said, S8 was worse. Atleast Toriko performed well despite not meeting expectations they had for it, S8 was just dead stock. And Toriko was selling well right off the bat so in a way it warranted being pushed (not this much though).
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don’t think Toriko’s failing was for a lack of quality, it just was mishandled. Sure, you can argue that the ratings of the anime were high and that it had high toy sales, but toei wasn’t the right fit for the series.

It wasn’t a kids show, and they shoehorned it into one. A proper adaptation and I think it does considerably better, but that’s just me.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That never happened, Bleach at its absolute lowest still sold 402,316 in 4 weeks with volume 72, while Toriko at its absolute peak sold 387,777 in 4 weeks with volume 20.
I’m talking about yearly sales. It ranked higher at one point, I believe.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,784
Country
Dragonstone
I’m talking about yearly sales. It ranked higher at one point, I believe.
Yes, Toriko outsold Bleach on the yearly charts by series in 2011, 2012 and 2013. After that, Toriko fell behind Bleach again, even dropping out of the Top 30 entirely.

2011:
5. Toriko - 4,665,634
[...]
8. Bleach - 4,187,258

2012:
11. Toriko - 3,005,339
12. Bleach - 2,974,750

2013:
13. Toriko - 2,844,248
[...]
15. Bleach - 2,752,588

2014:
18. Bleach - 2,986,968
Toriko didn't chart in the Top 30

2015:
21. Bleach - 2,818,926
Toriko didn't chart in the Top 30

2016:
17. Bleach - 2,253,028
Toriko didn't chart in the Top 30
 
Last edited:

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
To summarize, Toriko got a crossover with One Piece (both anime and manga) and Dragon Ball (pre-Super) as well as crossover merchandise, etc. It also got an anime that literally aired RIGHT before One Piece, to capitalize on One Piece’s viewership, etc.

Oda and Shimabu are best friends in real life, also.
I see, well that sure looks like some hard push campaign lol, guess they were both pushed hard it their own way, tho I guess Toriko gets the edge cause it ended up lasting longer
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
I think Toriko, at it’s sales peak, was actually outselling Bleach at one point. Of course, this was after Bleach had declined in sales.

Personally, I resented Toriko early on for that exact reason. I was super hardcore into Bleach, and them promoting it over Bleach pissed me off.
Yeah, I remember it just going over yearly sales in Bleach for a couple years and my gut reaction being: "You've promoted it this much and that's all it gets?"

Wow, I'm really unlocked some deep Bleach/Toriko memories from that era time that I've long forgotten.

Got curious so here's a look back on how they compared (I see now Serinox did the same thing):
2010:
Bleach - 5,204,193 [+4,330,396]
Toriko - 873,797*

2011:
Toriko - 4,665,634 [+478,376]
Bleach - 4,187,258

2012:
Toriko - 3,005,339 [+30,589]
Bleach - 2,974,750

2013:
Toriko - 2,844,248 [+131,660]
Bleach - 2,752,588

2014:
Bleach - 2,986,968 [+1,109,681]
Toriko - 1,877,287

2015:
Bleach - 2,818,926 [+1,333,331]
Toriko - 1,485,595

2016:
Bleach - 2,253,028 [+1,021,126]
Toriko - 1,231,902*

*Toriko never ranked in 2010 and 2016 years sales, these are just total volume sales from that year. Would be slightly higher with backlog sales, but at those likely times not by much.
Toriko definitely won a few battles, especially 2011 where it benefited from the backlog, rise in popularity thanks to the anime and major editorial boost. 2012 and 2013 it was just a little above Bleach, and for the last three years Bleach stabilised for the most part while Toriko dipped.

Comparing them now, Bleach's 120,000,000 circulation vs Toriko's official 20,000,000 are in pretty big contrast, and definitely made me feel justified as a resentful Bleach fan at the time (I'd like to think I've moved on and I'm less petty about it now).

But later on, I finally decided to give Toriko a chance and I became completely amazed by the series.
I might just go back and give it a try again with a clearer mindset. I read it weekly until around chapter 300 but my bias definitely clouded my judgement (I'm still not a fan of the art style though).
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
A thought I had about Agravity Boys, issue #50 will have ch 44 which means it'll last longer than Samurai 8.

Does that make it the second longest ever Jump manga set in space? There are other series with space arcs (DBZ, Gintama, To Love Ru) but they still spent the vast majority of their series on Earth, The only longer one I'm aware that's mostly in space is Cobra from all the way back in 1979.
Cobra being old doesn't change its immense quality. It's still a fantastic series that blends pop fiction with hard scifi in an extremely accessible yet rewarding way. It's like a smoothie filled with trashy exploitation and psychedelic cinema, Star Wars, and Stanislaw Lem all blended together.
I recommend watching the film adaptation which covers the first arc of the manga. One of my favorite anime films tbh.
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I think length-number of volumes-wise, Toriko has been one of worst Jump performers ever. I mean, it sold 20 million copies with +40 volumes. For comparison, My Hero Academia is on 28 million copies with 28 volumes.

The only manga I can think now that have performed or are performing worse than Toriko if you have in account the number of volumes and the number of copies in circulation would be Black Clover and Beelzebub.
eh Toriko cracked 18 million copies at 27 volumes and it reached 20 million at volume 30 (the last 13 volumes pushed it to 23 million)
in comparison Soma reached 14 million copies at 29 volumes

They both better than Black Clover (11 mil at 26/27) Beelz (<10 mil at 28), Medaka Box (5 mil at 22), Sket Dance (~10 mil at 32)
Rookies: 20 mil at 24
houshin engi: 22 mil at 23
d gray man: 25 mil at 27
Reborn: 30 mil at 42

It honestly not that bad at people make it out to be
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I’m debating this off-site, and thought I’d see how you guys felt on this issue.

Which Jump push was worse, Toriko or Samurai 8?
Easy. S8. The promotion for S8 and the build up with mentions and screenings of S8 at various events just kinda made it obvious that they want S8 to be the next big thing before it even came out. Most of Toriko's promotion was after it started serializing with the covers and LCPs and they worked because Toriko had one of the best debuts for a new series.

That said, Toriko had a strong push as well. Until S8, I'd say the biggest push for a new series was Toriko.
I think Toriko, at it’s sales peak, was actually outselling Bleach at one point. Of course, this was after Bleach had declined in sales.

Personally, I resented Toriko early on for that exact reason. I was super hardcore into Bleach, and them promoting it over Bleach pissed me off.

But later on, I finally decided to give Toriko a chance and I became completely amazed by the series.
Only reason Toriko overtook Bleach in yearly sales was because of backlog boost from anime. Even Soma had overtaken Bleach because of those. So it wasn't much of a factor. Obviously, as a hardcore Bleach fan I was also annoyed.
Toriko's peak print was 570k or something and I believe no volume actually touched 500k in sales, even from the yearly volume list.
That anime adaptation really didn't do much for it. Or rather, not as much as WSJ would've hoped.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
I think length-number of volumes-wise, Toriko has been one of worst Jump performers ever. I mean, it sold 20 million copies with +40 volumes. For comparison, My Hero Academia is on 28 million copies with 28 volumes.

The only manga I can think now that have performed or are performing worse than Toriko if you have in account the number of volumes and the number of copies in circulation would be Black Clover and Beelzebub.
Worst performers ever is a stretch
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

To summarize, Toriko got a crossover with One Piece (both anime and manga) and Dragon Ball (pre-Super) as well as crossover merchandise, etc. It also got an anime that literally aired RIGHT before One Piece, to capitalize on One Piece’s viewership, etc.

Oda and Shimabu are best friends in real life, also.
The Toriko, DB, OP cross over was just because of Toie though I don't remember it being intended to make toriko look bigger than Naruto and Bleach
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Toriko, DB, OP cross over was just because of Toie though I don't remember it being intended to make toriko look bigger than Naruto and Bleach
Well, I didn’t mean to suggest that. I don’t think Jump intended on Toriko pushing out Bleach anyway.
 

NotMe123

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 29, 2020
Messages
20
Reaction score
4
Age
27
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know the current circulation sales for the Boruto series?
 

Death&Strawberry

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 5, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Country
United Kingdom
I’m so happy with Burn The Witch!! I bet it will end up at 225k :x3
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I’m debating this off-site, and thought I’d see how you guys felt on this issue.

Which Jump push was worse, Toriko or Samurai 8?
Toriko push was bigger and Samurai8 push was worse.
Toriko and Double Arts had lead CP before the first volume even release and they tried to make Toriko "The next big thing" and even if it didn't became that, at least survived unlike Samurai8.
 

Midak

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Messages
202
Reaction score
253
Age
33
Country
Italy
*Wakes up*
*Sees My Hero Academia having THREE Trending Topics in Spain for last manga chapter*

Welp. Be extra careful this week since MHA spoilers are blowing more minds than usual on internet.
I may be mistaken, but doesn't Twitter personalize the trending topics based on your profile? I mean, not to downgrade MHA, but it seems strange to me that we get so often report about manga chapters trending in other countries than Japan.

About the Toriko crossovers, sure they helped promoting the series, but 1) the manga crossover with One Piece was almost a project between friends as we know Oda and Shimabukuro are 2) the anime special was mixing the morning shows of the same company (Toei).
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I may be mistaken, but doesn't Twitter personalize the trending topics based on your profile? I mean, not to downgrade MHA, but it seems strange to me that we get so often report about manga chapters trending in other countries than Japan.

About the Toriko crossovers, sure they helped promoting the series, but 1) the manga crossover with One Piece was almost a project between friends as we know Oda and Shimabukuro are 2) the anime special was mixing the morning shows of the same company (Toei).
It does personalize it but to still get on trending, you'll need to have a number of mentions.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I may be mistaken, but doesn't Twitter personalize the trending topics based on your profile? I mean, not to downgrade MHA, but it seems strange to me that we get so often report about manga chapters trending in other countries than Japan.
Actually yes, but you can double-check with the trending list by country. I saw this morning the not-personalized list and it reached a point that it had 4 different My Hero Academia TTs for the chapter spoilers (and a Shingeki one, also for spoiler leaks lol).

eh Toriko cracked 18 million copies at 27 volumes and it reached 20 million at volume 30 (the last 13 volumes pushed it to 23 million)
in comparison Soma reached 14 million copies at 29 volumes

They both better than Black Clover (11 mil at 26/27) Beelz (<10 mil at 28), Medaka Box (5 mil at 22), Sket Dance (~10 mil at 32)
Rookies: 20 mil at 24
houshin engi: 22 mil at 23
d gray man: 25 mil at 27
Reborn: 30 mil at 42

It honestly not that bad at people make it out to be
Isn't Toriko current number stuck on 20 million copies though? I've checked and I see the number is that.

Interesting to see the list in which Black Clover has a better radio. Right now Black Clover has a better ratio than Beelzebub, Medaka, Sket Dance and...I'd say that's all.

I should check better, but I think the manga in current roster with the most similar ratio to Toriko could actually be Dr.Stone.
 

J4B1RU

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 13, 2019
Messages
31
Reaction score
47
Age
27
Country
Gotei 13
Sket Dance has 13 mil at 32 btw
they released the info at the release of bunkoban
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Sket Dance has 13 mil at 32 btw
they released the info at the release of bunkoban
It's at 14

『週刊少年ジャンプ』(集英社)で、2007~2013年に連載された漫画『SKET DANCE(スケット・ダンス)』。累計発行部数は1400万部を超え、2011年にはテレビアニメ化。長らく同誌の一翼を担う作品として人気を博した。
 

J4B1RU

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 13, 2019
Messages
31
Reaction score
47
Age
27
Country
Gotei 13
It's at 14



oh, so it's even better
thank you for the update!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top