Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
The "people bought the manga because of its popularity" theory quickly falls apart when you think about it a little.

It's possible, and I'd even say likely, that some people bought Demon Slayer because of its crazy popularity this past year.
They might have thought something along the lines of "why is this so popular? I should check it out."

Thinking this, they might have went in a store and bought a few volumes of the manga, maybe like 3.
Then, depending on whether they liked it or not, they went and bought the rest of the manga.

The people that buy the later volumes do so because they liked the previous ones, not because it's popular. You don't buy 23 volumes of a manga because of its popularity.

There is 100k units between volume 1 and the next best selling volume of Demon Slayer. These 100k people might fall into the "bought the manga because of its popularity" category.
The 4.6m people that bought the entire manga certainly do not. They just liked what they read.

Edit: Manga that peaked with their first volume, however, arguably belong to this category. I'm mainly thinking of Ojisama to Neko and Sakamoto Desu Ga?.
That's not all though. Sure, there is the "why is this so popular? I should check it out" effect, which means a lot of people will go to the store and buy a few volumes. This is important especially in the beginning.

But once the hype reaches a certain point, there's also the "I think it's mostly just okay and I might have dropped it otherwise, but everyone around me is talking about it so I guess it'll get better later / and I don't want to be out of the loop, so I guess I'll keep reading it" effect. In other words, people who are lukewarm about the series will be encouraged to keep reading it anyway because everyone else is reading it. I felt this effect myself; I had originally dropped the series after a few chapters, but after the boom in popularity and subsequent discussions, I went back and read a bit more of it so I would be able to give a more informed opinion. (I still don't care for it.)

So yeah, people who really like the series will keep buying it regardless of popularity, and people who don't enjoy it at all will drop it. But for the large group in between, peer pressure (or, y'know, the desire to be able to follow what your friends are talking about) can be a very important factor.


Jump already leaked

Were the characters in the first half also this small?

I mean, I know they are new/unsuccessful series and therefore less important, but some of them are so tiny you can barely see them. I can't even tell who the character next to OBO is supposed to be.
 
Last edited:

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations

As promised here's our version, which doesn't use machine translation.
To sum up my thoughts on it: It's simply subpar.
The good parts pretty much just boil down to an interesting main character, and Usazaki's art being expectedly great, although it seems she didn't have help from assistants.

The bad parts are that it just isn't written well in the slightest. Uninteresting crime, predictable and boring truth of the incident, to the point where it makes no sense how the actual investigators didn't get it right themselves. Main character, being inspired by Ace Attorney probably, is just absurdly overpowered with his eye and leaves no room for the reader to participate in the mystery and try to figure it out themselves. To make this work a series the writer absolutely needs to step it up or find a consultant for the detective part of the story, it kinda feels like he never consumed a media of detective fiction, ever. If I had to root for this it'd basically be out of pity for Usazaki, and I don't want that. She should be working on something much better.
... So it's basically Ace Attorney Yugi?

Worthless law enforcement (seriously, how obvious was that? You didn't even check for explosives? You didn't try and google "spontaneous combustion aluminium"?) which forces citizens to take matters into their own hands, a justice system that allows laywers to solve cases on the fly instead of, y'know, investigating, cartoonishly evil villains, and some dude with multi-coloured hair who possesses a mystical ancient artifact that gives him the power to look into people's souls and who punishes criminals by mindfucking them with illusions.

This doesn't even feel like coincidence. It's as if somebody wrote a parody based on the premise "What if Yugi stole Pegasus' eye and had a career change?" I'm not even mad, it's just baffling.
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
this is interesting I never knew they get special designers to make the logos
 

Griff

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2020
Messages
121
Reaction score
82
Age
25
Country
Canada
It's a double issue. Next week there's no WSJ and after that we will have another double issue. If I misunderstood you and you were talking about the cover for 5-6, so it's because the covers are made as two seperated halves to complete eachother for celebrating One Piece reaching 1000 chapters.
The greatest movie in Japan history!
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
this is interesting I never knew they get special designers to make the logos
Yeah, it was mentioned in the “The Right Way to Make Jump!” Though the guy who had been doing it for 40 years has since retired.



Another thing from that segment from Nakano.

 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
Yeah, it was mentioned in the “The Right Way to Make Jump!” Though the guy who had been doing it for 40 years has since retired.



Another thing from that segment from Nakano.

Boys I believe in Matsui
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
What other successful WSJ mangaka besides Matsui are there who don't have a series ongoing (and could realistically return), aside from the ones whose manga ended in 2020?

I guess there's

Fujimaki
Kawada
Shuichi Aso
food wars duo (or maybe just one of them with a different artist)
Shinohara Kenta (Astra did run in Jump+, but we know it was originally submitted to WSJ and rejected so he might return)
and Shiibashi (though I don't know if he'll still return after 2 cancellations)

any others?
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Can you post the untranslated text? I’d like my translator friend to look at it.
西村繁男は「アンケートが2位以下の作品はすべて終了候補である」と言い切っている
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Pretty sure Tsukuda and Shun will return in 2021, probably with the Yuugen one shot that was pretty good, Matsui is almost a given considering it's been 4+ years since Ansatsu, i think Naoshi will return, it seems almost too convenient that Jump now has no true romcom and Naoshi been 4+ years without starting something. Fujimaki should return with that classic samurai one shot, visually it was quite impressive.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
The One at the top of my head would be Matsui, another option could be Ohba and Obata give n that Platinum End just ended, could be another surprise return like Yabuki this year
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I forgot about Naoshi Komi, has he done any recent oneshots? The only one I remember is the videogames ones from a couple years ago.
 

TheRealTravisty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2020
Messages
731
Reaction score
1,324
Age
39
Country
Canada
Good god, a movie based on a Shonen Jump manga being the biggest success in Japan. I never thought I would see the day. I wonder what the hell would possibly bring Kimetsu no Yaiba down from its throne...

Edit: Uh-oh, Nakano is hyping up next year's new manga? Careful with your words, man. We wouldn't want another Samurai 8 on our hands.
 
Last edited:

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
Good god, a movie based on a Shonen Jump manga being the biggest success in Japan. I never thought I would see the day. I wonder what the hell would possibly bring Kimetsu no Yaiba down from its throne...

Edit: Uh-oh, Nakano is hyping up this year's new manga? Careful with your words, man. We wouldn't want another Samurai 8 on our hands...
Kaiju no 8 movie
 

HHellenn

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2019
Messages
204
Reaction score
614
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So yeah, people who really like the series will keep buying it regardless of popularity, and people who don't enjoy it at all will drop it. But for the large group in between, peer pressure (or, y'know, the desire to be able to follow what your friends are talking about) can be a very important factor.
If I were such a reader, I would buy an e-book, there are a lot of online stores in Japan. The book does not take up space and does not force me to queue up the store.
P.S. It is also not reflected in the Oricon rankings, yet.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I forgot about Naoshi Komi, has he done any recent oneshots? The only one I remember is the videogames ones from a couple years ago.
He also did one where everyone knew how many beats their heart had left or something. That was pretty self contained if I remember correctly and I think it's older than the one you're talking about but I'm not sure.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
**7 Preview**
CP: Kemono Jihen
Shou Aimoto glorious return to Jump
Muddy chads! Shinigami chads! Rise up! our time has come!
hope Kemono Jihen anime give the manga a big boost


As promised here's our version, which doesn't use machine translation.
To sum up my thoughts on it: It's simply subpar.
The good parts pretty much just boil down to an interesting main character, and Usazaki's art being expectedly great, although it seems she didn't have help from assistants.

The bad parts are that it just isn't written well in the slightest. Uninteresting crime, predictable and boring truth of the incident, to the point where it makes no sense how the actual investigators didn't get it right themselves. Main character, being inspired by Ace Attorney probably, is just absurdly overpowered with his eye and leaves no room for the reader to participate in the mystery and try to figure it out themselves. To make this work a series the writer absolutely needs to step it up or find a consultant for the detective part of the story, it kinda feels like he never consumed a media of detective fiction, ever. If I had to root for this it'd basically be out of pity for Usazaki, and I don't want that. She should be working on something much better.
it's times like these I wish we could like a post twice, once for the translation and once because I agree with you completely
the oneshot is weak, the premise is mishandled, the mystery is poorly constructed, the characters are unlikable
the only good thing is the art

also it doesn't help that we just got Ron Kamonohashi, a new manga with very similar setting but is handled better, even the mc have genjutsu and magic eyes which is hilarious because that's the weakest part of Ron Kamonohashi too
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States

**7 Preview**
Cover & LCP: Dr. Stone
CP: Black Clover; Hakaishin Magu-chan; Kemono Jihen; Oneshot by Takahata Yuu
Damnit, no new serialization round yet. You can’t just have axes without the new stuff, that’s what makes things exciting!

Kemono Jihen, huh? I’ve been getting more and more interest in it ever since I heard some people talk about it in a Discord server. I wonder how good it is, and I wonder how I’ll feel about it...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top