Discussion Awakened Devil Fruits

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
That's all contingent on luffy being able to turn the environment into rubber AND also be able to manipulate it at will though. Luffy currently has zero.... rubberkinesis abilities. At least when katakuri and doflamingo used their awakening manipulating their mochi or strings was already something they could freely do. And sure, if luffy has rubberkinesis it's easy to see how an awakening would benefit him.
The power indeed relies on the ability to transfer the Gomu Gomu no powers outside Luffy’s body hence awakening. However, I do not portray Luffy’s awakening like Katakuri’s or Doflamingo’s as Luffy is not a Paramecia Producer type but a Paramecia Transformer type (permament transformation).
  • The environment would not transform into rubber matter like Katakuri and Doflamingo do with their awakenings. It would stay the same and retain its properties (wood can float and burn, metal is harsh, air can move etc...) and obtain additional rubbery properties (can be stretched, can be inflated, can bounce). It would actually work exactly like the Gomu Gomu no Mi with Luffy’s body which retained its tissue properties (blood, muscles, bones, organs) and got elastic.

  • Luffy would not be able to use telekinesis with the rubbery environment like Doflamingo and Katakuri can with normal mochi/strings or transformed environment. Luffy would need to manipulate the rubbery environment with his physical body’s force exactly like if he was trying to move a normal object, however the environment would be easier to manipulate considering it is under the Gomu Gomu no Mi rubber properties
When I imagine Luffy stretching the wall or the side tower, I see Luffy stretching his arm towards the environment, transferring the rubber properties to them and then pulling the environment with his arm in whatever direction he wants like when he steals food in a banquet.

When I imagine Luffy stopping Kizaru’s attack I see him granting the air with rubbery properties, hence the lasers do not explode in contact with the air (normal properties) but the air can bounce back the lasers (rubbery properties). I would also expect Luffy to go advanced and manipulate the rubbery air with his arms to redirect the lasers towards a specific place like Rayleigh told him to do with his Fuusen and cannonballs.

In my own opinion, this awakening would give Luffy a Yonko/Admiral DF vibe and this is the best one that I can imagine that can fit his Gomu Gomu no Mi properties and his Paramecia Transformer condition. An awakening that would give non-rubbery powers would be irrelevant and an awakening granting him better rubbery body powers would be advanced normal powers like the Gears.
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,287
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The power indeed relies on the ability to transfer the Gomu Gomu no powers outside Luffy’s body hence awakening. However, I do not portray Luffy’s awakening like Katakuri’s or Doflamingo’s as Luffy is not a Paramecia Producer type but a Paramecia Transformer type (permament transformation).
  • The environment would not transform into rubber matter like Katakuri and Doflamingo do with their awakenings. It would stay the same and retain its properties (wood can float and burn, metal is harsh, air can move etc...) and obtain additional rubbery properties (can be stretched, can be inflated, can bounce). It would actually work exactly like the Gomu Gomu no Mi with Luffy’s body which retained its tissue properties (blood, muscles, bones, organs) and got elastic.

  • Luffy would not be able to use telekinesis with the rubbery environment like Doflamingo and Katakuri can with normal mochi/strings or transformed environment. Luffy would need to manipulate the rubbery environment with his physical body’s force exactly like if he was trying to move a normal object, however the environment would be easier to manipulate considering it is under the Gomu Gomu no Mi rubber properties
When I imagine Luffy stretching the wall or the side tower, I see Luffy stretching his arm towards the environment, transferring the rubber properties to them and then pulling the environment with his arm in whatever direction he wants like when he steals food in a banquet.

When I imagine Luffy stopping Kizaru’s attack I see him granting the air with rubbery properties, hence the lasers do not explode in contact with the air (normal properties) but the air can bounce back the lasers (rubbery properties). I would also expect Luffy to go advanced and manipulate the rubbery air with his arms to redirect the lasers towards a specific place like Rayleigh told him to do with his Fuusen and cannonballs.

In my own opinion, this awakening would give Luffy a Yonko/Admiral DF vibe and this is the best one that I can imagine that can fit his Gomu Gomu no Mi properties and his Paramecia Transformer condition. An awakening that would give non-rubbery powers would be irrelevant and an awakening granting him better rubbery body powers would be advanced normal powers like the Gears.
Luffy doesn't have any ability to manipulate rubber. If his ability was extended beyond his body in the way it currently works luffy could, say, turn a house into rubber. But that would be the end of it, it's just a rubber house since luffy can't use his mind to hurl it at people.
The power indeed relies on the ability to transfer the Gomu Gomu no powers outside Luffy’s body hence awakening. However, I do not portray Luffy’s awakening like Katakuri’s or Doflamingo’s as Luffy is not a Paramecia Producer type but a Paramecia Transformer type (permament transformation).
  • The environment would not transform into rubber matter like Katakuri and Doflamingo do with their awakenings. It would stay the same and retain its properties (wood can float and burn, metal is harsh, air can move etc...) and obtain additional rubbery properties (can be stretched, can be inflated, can bounce). It would actually work exactly like the Gomu Gomu no Mi with Luffy’s body which retained its tissue properties (blood, muscles, bones, organs) and got elastic.

  • Luffy would not be able to use telekinesis with the rubbery environment like Doflamingo and Katakuri can with normal mochi/strings or transformed environment. Luffy would need to manipulate the rubbery environment with his physical body’s force exactly like if he was trying to move a normal object, however the environment would be easier to manipulate considering it is under the Gomu Gomu no Mi rubber properties
When I imagine Luffy stretching the wall or the side tower, I see Luffy stretching his arm towards the environment, transferring the rubber properties to them and then pulling the environment with his arm in whatever direction he wants like when he steals food in a banquet.

When I imagine Luffy stopping Kizaru’s attack I see him granting the air with rubbery properties, hence the lasers do not explode in contact with the air (normal properties) but the air can bounce back the lasers (rubbery properties). I would also expect Luffy to go advanced and manipulate the rubbery air with his arms to redirect the lasers towards a specific place like Rayleigh told him to do with his Fuusen and cannonballs.

In my own opinion, this awakening would give Luffy a Yonko/Admiral DF vibe and this is the best one that I can imagine that can fit his Gomu Gomu no Mi properties and his Paramecia Transformer condition. An awakening that would give non-rubbery powers would be irrelevant and an awakening granting him better rubbery body powers would be advanced normal powers like the Gears.
No idea if awakening works on air though I suppose that would be a pretty powerful defense in general. IF it works like that though I am skeptical of things potentially playing out like that. Rather than that I imagine air which turns into rubber would basically be dust floating around.... Which is a neat way to poison your enemies I suppose. Also, even if it worked on air... why would it bounce back a laser? Bouncing a laser is not something that rubber or air can do on their own and the combination of the two doesn't really add up in any ways that suggests this is possible. If luffy makes a mirror into rubber and stretches it then it could work though.

The awakening, as I mentioned earlier, would have some tactical use as its main feature would basically allow luffy to bounce of stuff. But even luffy's enemies would be able to take advantage of this as well. The only thing luffy would have over his enemy in this case is basically knowledge. It'd be interesting if the awakening would allow luffy to punch people into mountains and the mountain bounces them right back to luffy's fist. But that could as well backfire. It would be an awakening whose value decreases the more his enemies experience it.
 

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
When I imagine Luffy stopping Kizaru’s attack I see him granting the air with rubbery properties, hence the lasers do not explode in contact with the air (normal properties) but the air can bounce back the lasers (rubbery properties). I would also expect Luffy to go advanced and manipulate the rubbery air with his arms to redirect the lasers towards a specific place like Rayleigh told him to do with his Fuusen and cannonballs.
Now I want this to happen in the future. It would be far more interesting than "I beat Kizaru because my haki was stronger".
 

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
Now I want this to happen in the future. It would be far more interesting than "I beat Kizaru because my haki was stronger".
Rubbery air should enable Luffy to bounce back any attack which is a major power up. There is a lot of potential with rubbery manipulation. With tangible objects it is not difficult to imagine Luffy manipulating them since Luffy can already touch them without awakening and they would become stretchable. With intangible objects, I see Luffy manipulating them exactly like he manipulated Smoker’s logia body arm with Haki in Punk Hazard. Intangible objects with rubbery properties would become manipulable as rubber grants them in top of their normal intangible properties (rubbery air still does not explode in contact with lasers) the tangible properties they are missing thanks to stretching, inflating and bouncing abilities.

I would be very disappointed if Oda does not deliver at least this minimum level of awakening. See below how Luffy could have best the Admirals, Yonko, YC in Marineford with his DF awakening.

I could very easily picture Luffy performing OP tasks with an awakening granting his rubber-body abilities (stretching, inflating, bouncing) to his surroundings.

Think back about Marineford battle:
  • Imagine Luffy in place of Aokiji jumping towards Whitebeard’s tsunamis and stretching them back onto the pirate fleet.
  • Imagine Luffy in place of Marco jumping before Whitebeard - the air suddenly starts stretching with Kizaru’s lasers which stop their course in mid-air and bounce back to the Marine forces.
  • Imagine Luffy stretching one of Marineford side tower over the plaza to protect the pirate forces from Akainu’s lava punches - "Gomu Gomu no Marineford Migawari".
  • Imagine Luffy stretching the entire Marineford wall, applying Gear 2 on it, then releasing it to beat down all the Marines behind it - "Gomu Gumu no Jet Bullet Wall".
  • Imagine any of Luffy’s Gears applied to buildings for attacks.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I’ve been thinking about how Luffy’s awakening could be done. My initial thought is that he could turn the environment into rubber, which would follow with the two canon paramecia fruit, but I had the thought that it may also come with a much greater control of his rubber body. Like almost telekinetic, where he can move his body without having to put energy into the stretch, similar to Katakuri, and his body just moves in a T1000 kinda way to dodge attacks, or reform like Plastic Man. Yes I realize I used three analogies. Lol! 🤓
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,287
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
To me luffy transforming the environment into rubber wouldn't really work mostly because he doesn't have the ability to manipulate rubber. I suppose he could get that ability as well but that sounds way too weird.

Luffy technically couldn't do what katakuri did to let attacks pass through him because luffy isn't an off brand logia user like katakuri. Katakuri's fruit actually behaves like a logia and he could take advantage of the nature of his substance to simply let attacks pass through him. I also doubt katakuri does not have to put energy into his stretch so to speak. Luffy's body is just a chunk of rubber, it'd be weird if awakening changes that.

Crackpot theory: Vulcanization. Vulcanized rubber is basically harder and tougher rubber. It'd be basically a direct upgrade to his basic ability and strength along with his gears.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I’ve always seen Gear 4 as a metaphor for vulcanization with Luffy. I wasn’t thinking necessarily making hole in himself, just more like moving his body out of the way or squeezing the area back away from it consciously. Having said that, Luffy is able to generate heat, so it’s not entirely out of the picture, but I think in reality he would have to add sulfur to himself to do that.. but this isn’t reality we’re talking about, so it’s definitely possible!
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,287
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
If its heat related then luffy wouldn't need an awakening to become vulcanized. He'd just need to heat up his body. Which is actually a nice option for gear 5 since he probably has run out of new things to pump air into or increase his bloodflow. Forcing his body to undergo a chemical change so to speak for a power boost fits pretty well at least.

What you mention sounds like something which luffy could also learn how to do without awakening via kami-e. I would guess his culverine attacks are kinda based on it.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Damn good point! I hadn’t even considered kami-e!
 

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,135
Reaction score
1,885
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
To me luffy transforming the environment into rubber wouldn't really work mostly because he doesn't have the ability to manipulate rubber. I suppose he could get that ability as well but that sounds way too weird.

Luffy technically couldn't do what katakuri did to let attacks pass through him because luffy isn't an off brand logia user like katakuri. Katakuri's fruit actually behaves like a logia and he could take advantage of the nature of his substance to simply let attacks pass through him. I also doubt katakuri does not have to put energy into his stretch so to speak. Luffy's body is just a chunk of rubber, it'd be weird if awakening changes that.

Crackpot theory: Vulcanization. Vulcanized rubber is basically harder and tougher rubber. It'd be basically a direct upgrade to his basic ability and strength along with his gears.
Katakuri is still a Parmecia...Awakenings haven’t been fully explained. But like Doffy also a parmecia, his awakening allows whatever he touches, to be turned into strong...Same as Katakuri, whatever he touches can be turned into Mochi...*touching the

We’ve never seen a Logia awakening so we have no idea of it’s effects..

So believing Luffy’s awakening is turning other objects into rubber as long as he’s in contact with isn’t far off....I could only see it being useful for weapons. Luffy doesn’t need the ground to be rubber, like Spring dude, he can bounce around under his own will.

G4 is vulcinization.....G2 Pumps his blood up/Adrenaline rush. G3 Blows up his bones/a giant size limbs...G4 Blows ups Muscles+Max Haki output...G4 is Luffy turning into a tire;

I’ve always seen Gear 4 as a metaphor for vulcanization with Luffy. I wasn’t thinking necessarily making hole in himself, just more like moving his body out of the way or squeezing the area back away from it consciously. Having said that, Luffy is able to generate heat, so it’s not entirely out of the picture, but I think in reality he would have to add sulfur to himself to do that.. but this isn’t reality we’re talking about, so it’s definitely possible!
Luffy doesn’t have to fling his arm to extend them like he did at the beginning of the manga, he seems to be able to stretch more like Mr. Fantastic does. He can activate G2 from any limb, he can also strike in one motion with G3 without blowing his limbs up first nor does he shrink anymore into a mid...Luffy has made a lot of improvements into mastering his DF, & creating skills with them.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I looked it up to make sure, but vulcanization is chemically, or molecularly?, changing rubber through heat to make it harder. Adding sulfur makes it heat resistant, so the wiki page says anyway..
 

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
Adding my view on Gomu Gomu no Mi awakening. I know kkck dislikes it as he sees it as rubber telekinesis. That’s why I propose that Luffy needs to touch the objects to grant them rubber properties and to use his physical strenght to manipulate them. Additionally, Luffy will not turn the environment into rubber matter like Doffy and Katakuri do but simply grant rubber properties to objects which keep their basic form unless they are manipulated (same way Gomu Gomu no Mi works for Luffy).

I could very easily picture Luffy performing OP tasks with an awakening granting his rubber-body abilities (stretching, inflating, bouncing) to his surroundings.

Think back about Marineford battle:
  • Imagine Luffy in place of Aokiji jumping towards Whitebeard’s tsunamis and stretching them back onto the pirate fleet.
  • Imagine Luffy in place of Marco jumping before Whitebeard - the air suddenly starts stretching with Kizaru’s lasers which stop their course in mid-air and bounce back to the Marine forces.
  • Imagine Luffy stretching one of Marineford side tower over the plaza to protect the pirate forces from Akainu’s lava punches - "Gomu Gomu no Marineford Migawari".
  • Imagine Luffy stretching the entire Marineford wall, applying Gear 2 on it, then releasing it to beat down all the Marines behind it - "Gomu Gumu no Jet Bullet Wall".
  • Imagine any of Luffy’s Gears applied to buildings for attacks.
I think he would be more impressive than Yonko or Admirals with his awakened abilities considering
  1. He would not turn the environment into formless matter but manipulate the normal environment at will like his rubber body
  2. He could potentially not only block any attack but send them back to any target
I really hope Oda will deliver such an amazing awakening. Luffy at least deserves them for the final war of the manga.
The power indeed relies on the ability to transfer the Gomu Gomu no powers outside Luffy’s body hence awakening. However, I do not portray Luffy’s awakening like Katakuri’s or Doflamingo’s as Luffy is not a Paramecia Producer type but a Paramecia Transformer type (permament transformation).
  • The environment would not transform into rubber matter like Katakuri and Doflamingo do with their awakenings. It would stay the same and retain its properties (wood can float and burn, metal is harsh, air can move etc...) and obtain additional rubbery properties (can be stretched, can be inflated, can bounce). It would actually work exactly like the Gomu Gomu no Mi with Luffy’s body which retained its tissue properties (blood, muscles, bones, organs) and got elastic.

  • Luffy would not be able to use telekinesis with the rubbery environment like Doflamingo and Katakuri can with normal mochi/strings or transformed environment. Luffy would need to manipulate the rubbery environment with his physical body’s force exactly like if he was trying to move a normal object, however the environment would be easier to manipulate considering it is under the Gomu Gomu no Mi rubber properties
When I imagine Luffy stretching the wall or the side tower, I see Luffy stretching his arm towards the environment, transferring the rubber properties to them and then pulling the environment with his arm in whatever direction he wants like when he steals food in a banquet.

When I imagine Luffy stopping Kizaru’s attack I see him granting the air with rubbery properties, hence the lasers do not explode in contact with the air (normal properties) but the air can bounce back the lasers (rubbery properties). I would also expect Luffy to go advanced and manipulate the rubbery air with his arms to redirect the lasers towards a specific place like Rayleigh told him to do with his Fuusen and cannonballs.

In my own opinion, this awakening would give Luffy a Yonko/Admiral DF vibe and this is the best one that I can imagine that can fit his Gomu Gomu no Mi properties and his Paramecia Transformer condition. An awakening that would give non-rubbery powers would be irrelevant and an awakening granting him better rubbery body powers would be advanced normal powers like the Gears.
 
Last edited:

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,135
Reaction score
1,885
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
I looked it up to make sure, but vulcanization is chemically, or molecularly?, changing rubber through heat to make it harder. Adding sulfur makes it heat resistant, so the wiki page says anyway..

: the process of treating crude or synthetic rubber or similar plastic material chemically to give it useful properties (such as elasticity, strength, and stability)

Gear4, resembles this in no way to you??
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey, I’m all for ANY idea. If we don’t consider it, we are going to miss something. He mentioned kami-e as a means of Luffy moving rubber at will, and that could potentially extend to rubber he “makes”, since it is basically, as I see it, sort of like the way some people extend haki to an object, just instead they are extending the fruit’s energy into an object/area. With Luffy’s versatility with his fruit ability, he could become godlike if that is the case, or at the very least similar to Katakuri’s level of badassness. I hate using this phrase, but I honestly feel like the only reason Luffy beat Katakuri is because gOda made is so... “plot armor”. *washes out his mouth*
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

: the process of treating crude or synthetic rubber or similar plastic material chemically to give it useful properties (such as elasticity, strength, and stability)

Gear4, resembles this in no way to you??
Guess you didn’t read the rest of the thread 🤓 I was saying that gear 4 was a metaphor for vulcanization. Kkck was saying he wasn’t sure how vulcanization was done irl.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I really like the idea of him rubberizing the air! But really, it wouldn’t be different from other paramecia creating stuff outta nothing, like Cracker and his biscuits(cookies). Would be kinda neat to see Luffy machine gun rubber balls, but it would totally change his accepted fighting style.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Do we know for sure Luffy's fruit power has an Awakening?
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The way Doflamingo, and Katakuri for that matter, spoke made it fairly clear that all Devil fruits could be awoken, only it was rare for a user to be able to do so.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,287
Reaction score
24,920
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Yeah, katakuri definitely framed this as a level of mastery which was pretty rare even in the new world. It's a shame that his framing doesn't exactly help to determine what most fruits would do when awakened since what he described isn't useful to a substantial amount of abilities. Expanding your ability beyond your body is not really a useful skill for people who do not have the ability to manipulate their element. Turning the environment into rubber is potentially useful but not exactly too powerful. And event he mastery bit is weird. Take luffy, his fruit just makes him rubber and... that's it. So what exactly counts as mastery for a fruit that is constantly passively active? Or how about jozu... Would turning the environment into diamonds he can't levitate at people be useful? His ability is pretty black and white for that matter and its either activated or not. Turning the environment into diamonds is potentially useful but not really powerful. Say, he could throw an enemy into a diamond mountain...
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Given that Awakened fruit users have been able to alter their environment, I don't see why Luffy won't Awaken that as well. If he finds a way to combine that with haki, his attacks can be devastating because he can use his body to bounce back an opponent right into his haki rubber wall.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, katakuri definitely framed this as a level of mastery which was pretty rare even in the new world. It's a shame that his framing doesn't exactly help to determine what most fruits would do when awakened since what he described isn't useful to a substantial amount of abilities. Expanding your ability beyond your body is not really a useful skill for people who do not have the ability to manipulate their element. Turning the environment into rubber is potentially useful but not exactly too powerful. And event he mastery bit is weird. Take luffy, his fruit just makes him rubber and... that's it. So what exactly counts as mastery for a fruit that is constantly passively active? Or how about jozu... Would turning the environment into diamonds he can't levitate at people be useful? His ability is pretty black and white for that matter and its either activated or not. Turning the environment into diamonds is potentially useful but not really powerful. Say, he could throw an enemy into a diamond mountain...
I agree up to a point. I mean, before meeting Luffy I bet most of he world would have seen the Gomu Gomu no mi as a useless devil fruit! Oda has come up with some very interesting ways for Luffy to take advantage of his ability to stretch, I bet he has some ideas kicking around on how to make use of his awakening already, even if it IS only turning the environment into rubber.
 
Top