- Joined
- Mar 2, 2017
- Messages
- 1,175
- Reaction score
- 825
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
i would say no, Haki did not kill creativity. Haki and creativity must be combined to go on a 1vs1 against a yonkou.
Yeah, that's how i view it. Not genetic, but someone who is a dreamer, a "i want to be pirate King" or "I want to be the greatest swordsman" is likely to have it over someone who is just going about their day to day.I don't think it's genetics... probably anyone can get it, but people closer to Luffy will have it because it's convenient to the story.
I think CoC is linked to personality, the natural leaders are CoC users. At principle people are born that way. I wonder if a traumatic experience that gives someone a 180 turn on personality could change their Haki leaning.
We are not born with an achieved personality: personality is influenced by experience and lifestyle and ideology - and the Tenryubito are probably the best examples in One Piece.I don't think it's genetics... probably anyone can get it, but people closer to Luffy will have it because it's convenient to the story.
I think CoC is linked to personality, the natural leaders are CoC users. At principle people are born that way. I wonder if a traumatic experience that gives someone a 180 turn on personality could change their Haki leaning.
Impossible, personality can change, genetics can't.I think CoC is linked to personality
It's a mix, I think, but I don't think haki can really change? We've seen haki users be extremely confident in themselves, from Whitebeard to Luffy, and they often are good leaders and unafraid to die. There's probably some lineage mixed in as well, but I guess we'll find out if Garp and Dragon have CoC.I don't think it's genetics... probably anyone can get it, but people closer to Luffy will have it because it's convenient to the story.
I think CoC is linked to personality, the natural leaders are CoC users. At principle people are born that way. I wonder if a traumatic experience that gives someone a 180 turn on personality could change their Haki leaning.
I think Oda explicitly saying through Rayleigh that Conqueror's is something you're either born with or you don't have was a massive mistake. Like yeah I get the need to have a system like haki in the story, even if I can nitpick it to death. But CoC being something you either got in your genes or not is dumb af.We are not born with an achieved personality: personality is influenced by experience and lifestyle and ideology - and the Tenryubito are probably the best examples in One Piece.
Being born with it means it is influenced by lineage factors.
How is it dumb when Ivankov pretty much said the reason Luffy has it is because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? And Doberman pretty much said he has it because he's the son of Dragon?But CoC being something you either got in your genes or not is dumb af.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Still, to say it's dumb in a Shonen though? That's like the typical thing.I think he means dumb in that it makes people destined to be strong as a birth right vs anyone being able to achieve top level strength through hard work alone. I don't think he's arguing that CoC isn't something you're born with.
While I don't disagree with you, because it's been mentioned that CoC has a hereditary pattern, being related to genes and being hereditary is not the exact same thing.Genes are the one thing that is either you have or don't. Can't be tall if you don't have the genes for it, not much you can do about that, so why Haki can't fall into that category is actually quite the contrary when all the evidence so far is leaning towards that.
Well I'll leave it to @zetsu banned to defend his point of view, assuming that I even read it right. I got no skin in this game.Still, to say it's dumb in a Shonen though? That's like the typical thing.
And it's actually realistic, genetics do determine a lot in regards to real life success too.
Being athletic is genetic, yes, you can train, but there's a point where no matter how you train, you will never beat the person with the blood and natural talent for whatever sport.
If you don't have genes to build muscle, you can train as much as you like with all the right nutrition, training splits, and perfect technique... you'll almost still never beat the guy who can half ass his training, eat shit, and still make 2-3x the progress you make with hard work, drugs and dedication.
If you're born with Photographic memory to remember every and anything, you'll be far superior to someone who doesn't have that ability in things that require memorising such as Chess.
Success is almost a birth right. Unfair, but it is true.
I don't see how it's dumb, I can see how it's boring? or too repetitive a trope? but dumb? I don't see how.
Are you seriously drawing from what I said that genetics are dumb? That some people being born tall is dumb? For real dude? Let me very clearly spell it out for you:How is it dumb when Ivankov pretty much said the reason Luffy has it is because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree? And Doberman pretty much said he has it because he's the son of Dragon?
Apple doesn't fall far from the tree? Being the genetic offspring? Yet genetics is dumb? Not sure you're looking at this remotely objectively. Factually, it's the only thing that makes sense so far.
Genes are the one thing that is either you have or don't. Can't be tall if you don't have the genes for it, not much you can do about that, so why Haki can't fall into that category is actually quite the contrary when all the evidence so far is leaning towards that.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
![]()
![]()
I do wonder why we argue about things there is evidence for from references to genes (e.g. blood, apple doesn't fall far from the tree, etc) and outright saying "born with it".
--- Double Post Merged, ---
This is basically what I have hope in. It seemed pretty clear that Oda fully intended for CoC to be genetic, it's basically the only thing we have to go on with direct dialogue. Didn't Rayleigh himself mention it at some point?Yeah, and Ace has the blood of the devil because he is Roger's child...you see, the people in the One Piece world are hardly reliable narrators when it comes to genetics.
In fact, the only group of people where it semed to have passed down as a guarantee are the Monkey and Gol D. families.
In the Boa and Charlotte families, only one out of three/eighty-five children inherited the trait. And that's assuming one of their parents had it, which is rather questionable in Big Mom's case.
Yes, to a degree personality is genetic, too, and yes, you are guaranteed to inherit roughly 50% of genes from each of your parents. But none of the statements in the series suggest that there is a "conqueror gene".
And if there is no single gene to be intendified, the incidence within the Gol and Monkey families could still be random occurence bolstered by beliefs about power in blood. We don't have most mothers in these families, and we aren't observing many generations either.
If a scientist like Vegapunk, Judge, Caesar or Queen says something about CoC being related to LF, then it's a wholy different story.
Not fun doesn't make something dumb.Naruto being some kid that was saddled with a demon was fun. The Uzumaki being this secretly-genetically-endowed clan of cousins to the Senju, and that's the reason Naruto becomes a god-like fighter is NOT fun.
What, not sharing your sentiments? We're all supposed to have the same opinions? Can't dictate that.Fucking come on, man. I expect way better out of you.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
You're overreacting, no one said that. Simply said opinion doesn't make something dumb."Look, a character said a thing! Therefore it can't be a bad idea as a piece of narrative fiction!"
Are you seriously drawing from what I said that genetics are dumb? That some people being born tall is dumb? For real dude? Let me very clearly spell it out for you:
Naruto being some kid that was saddled with a demon was fun. The Uzumaki being this secretly-genetically-endowed clan of cousins to the Senju, and that's the reason Naruto becomes a god-like fighter is NOT fun.
Ichigo being some kid whose family can kinda see ghosts and whatnot was fun. Ichigo being the son of a captain and a quincy mom whose lineage is the entire reason he can do what he does is NOT fun.
Luffy being some kid who gobbled on a devil fruit by accident was fun. Luffy gaining the ONE ability that lets him have the capacity to compete with the top-tiers in the world, that is solely based on your genetic predisposition (CoC), is NOT fun.
"Look, a character said a thing! Therefore it can't be a bad idea as a piece of narrative fiction!"
Fucking come on, man.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
This is basically what I have hope in. It seemed pretty clear that Oda fully intended for CoC to be genetic, it's basically the only thing we have to go on with direct dialogue. Didn't Rayleigh himself mention it at some point?
Either way I hope it's retconned that CoC isn't something you're just born with. Maybe lineage can make it easier or whatever to access or develop, but having it be a binary trait is just bananas stupid in a magic system like haki. The whole point of haki is that everyone has it, everyone can train it if they have the motivation. CoC as we know it right now, kinda spits in the face of that idea.
We already have a very strong nature vs nurture theme behind Doflamingo and the answer is just as unsolvable as the reality. Was he born evil? Or was it his upbringing and the events that followed? Oda is aware of this, he's an eductated person that wrote something that is essentially a bible.Either way I hope it's retconned that CoC isn't something you're just born with. Maybe lineage can make it easier or whatever to access or develop, but having it be a binary trait is just bananas stupid in a magic system like haki. The whole point of haki is that everyone has it, everyone can train it if they have the motivation. CoC as we know it right now, kinda spits in the face of that idea.

That's actually not true, you've actually misunderstood what Haki was.The whole point of haki is that everyone has it, everyone can train it if they have the motivation.
Amazon Lily/ Kuja Empire? I'm pretty sure it was mentioned nearly all inhabitants could use haki to some degree, so it's something reproducible by standardized training. Those characters you mentioned might've not been talented enough to discover it on their own, but Amazon Lily pretty much confirms it's something nearly anyone can acquire if given proper training.That's actually not true, you've actually misunderstood what Haki was.
It's always been something only special people have or could use rather.