Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion | Page 275 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion

Which of the new series you're most excited for? (You can vote in 2 series at most)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The problem with Earthchild is that it not only doesn't follow real rules regarding space travel, it also doesn't follow it own rules. The story keep set up rules and then discarded them the next chapter. Superheroes stories do have internal rules that they follow until it got retcon for a reboot but Earthchild just keep rebooting every chapter.

The other problem is that the series just really bad at doing emotional moments. It doesn't let the emotion flow naturally, there no build up, it just the author tell the readers how they should feel in this particular moment. This is especially bad because the type of manga Earthchild is require good emotional aspect.

Even the child care aspect isn't good because how the MC and the story treat the baby as nothing more than a plot device and a telephone.

And finally, the MC is probably the most unintentionally irreprehensible protags I have ever seen. The story and the characters keep showering him with praise about how great he is despite just been a normal guy. But when you stop and think about it, the MC is extremely selfish to the point of harming other for his own benefit. Like the fact that he ready to take his son to space, putting him in front of a meteor shower just so he can save his wife is something that most parents would against. This actually the same problem with Shinkai writing in Soul Catcher too, MC got praise to high heaven while done very little.
And everything comes down to the author intentionally not making sense, because you can't really unintentionally write a story that doesn't care about making sense or contradicting itself many times without the editor literally telling you about it and etc, Shinkai is just writing whatever he wants in the way he wants, and i totally disagree about the notion he doesn't know what he's doing because he knows very well (Not saying you said this), i also disagree a bit with the emotional parts because this chapter was very emotional in my opinion because in the case of the couple you do have all the weight of their story and etc, so this chapter i think was well done with a beautiful art, it's totally connected and parallels to the great chapter 1.

Like i said, i understand well the problems with the overall series, the point of my comment is about taking this series waaay too seriously in the end

Archaon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
And everything comes down to the author intentionally not making sense, because you can't really unintentionally write a story that doesn't care about making sense or contradicting itself many times without the editor literally telling you about it and etc, Shinkai is just writing whatever he wants in the way he wants, and i totally disagree about the notion he doesn't know what he's doing because he knows very well (Not saying you said this), i also disagree a bit with the emotional parts because this chapter was very emotional in my opinion because in the case of the couple you do have all the weight of their story and etc, so this chapter i think was well done with a beautiful art, it's totally connected and parallels to the great chapter 1.

Like i said, i understand well the problems with the overall series, the point of my comment is about taking this series waaay too seriously in the end
Oh you can certainly unintentionally write something that you don't even notice. You might want people to feel certain way about characters or event but your writing style might have the opposite effect on the outcome. Shinkai might want his MC to be the coolest dad ever but that doesn't mean the readers feel the same. Heck just look at Ayashimon, the MC is clearly intentionally been made by the author to be that way because he think the readers would like him, but the writing just made people hate him with I doubt that what the writer want. Same with TPGW protags. Want to write something and actually succeed at that are two difference things. And let not forget who his editor is and what he's knew for.

Also the reason why people take it so serious because the story treat it as serious plot points.

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Oh you can certainly unintentionally write something that you don't even notice. Shinkai might want his MC to be the coolest dad ever but that doesn't mean the readers feel the same. Heck just look at Ayashimon, the MC is clearly intentionally been made by the author to be that way because he think the readers would like him, but the writing just made people hate him with I doubt that what the writer want. Same with TPGW protags. Want to write something adn actually succeed at that are two difference thing. And let not forget who his editor is and what he's knew for.
If the readers enjoy it or not is a different case, my point is that he's intentionally writing the story in this way, it ultimately failed but he knew what he was doing.

TiC

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
So the spoiler posted for this week Doron chapter was fake lol

But the actual chapter still gives the vibe that it can perfectly well go until issue #36/37, basically 5/6 chapters until the end, but what is bugging me a bit is Earthchild, the manga seriously looks like it can end in 2 chapters, which would means ending on #32, which means we could actually have a 2 new series round on #32 and #33, the problem is obviously Doron, it would have to end next week, 1 chapter, which would make it even worse than Ayashimon finale that despite everything it was in the middle of the climax of the series, Doron isn't even that, there's no battle and we don't even know who is the traitor yet, but so i go back to EC that totally feels like is ending in 2 chapters, or maybe will not and we will get to finally see the "raising child" part of the series with both Reisuke and Kareri living as a couple, yeah because i totally not believe he is dead kkkk, and btw, had to say, this chapter was quite good in my opinion, the art was probably at it's peak too, the 3 double pages were beautiful and Kareri is just freaking hot!
[/spoiler]
What if Earthchild ends by itself, and it gets replaced by a new round of one?
And like the previous round of one (Super Smartphone), it is followed up by another round a few weeks later, and Doron is ending then.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What if Earthchild ends by itself, and it gets replaced by a new round of one?
And like the previous round of one (Super Smartphone), it is followed up by another round a few weeks later, and Doron is ending then.
It could, the problem would be that EC ending in 2 chapters which means vol 3 only having 4 chapters, but i checked here and Shinkai actually had a short series of 2 chapters in 2019 called Hajimete no Iine published on Jump Plus, both with 50ish and 30ish pages and never compiled, so they could put it in the volume and would fit perfectly well, but we will see next week.

Reactions: TiC

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
My guess is that Earthchild may do a timeskip in the next couple issues and have a short final arc where the kid is an adult, like how Moriking had wrapped up every plot point but then pulled one more arc out of nowhere for the last 6-7 chapters since it still had some time left.

galaxy-juice

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gege Akutami
I don't care too much about veterans vs. rookies either way personally - I think they tend to be about the same in quality tbh, since that's how WSJ's process works - but I'd prefer first-time rookies over ones with failed serializations, since I think the latter tend to write very safe stories. I'd rather see something interesting and wonky vs. something good but very bland.
To help visualize this—

Veterans who found instant success (w/ success since 2010):
  • Yusei Matsui (Neuro, AssClass, The Elusive Samurai)
  • Ryo Nakama (Isobe Isobee Monotagari, High School Family)
  • Kawada (Hinomaru Sumo)
  • Koyoharu Gotouge (Demon Slayer)
  • Posuka Demizu & Kaiu Shirai (The Promised Neverland)
  • Shiro Usazaki & Tatsuya Matsuki (act-age)
  • Gege Akutami (Jujutsu Kaisen)
  • Yoshifumi Tozuka (Undead Unluck)
  • Hajime Komoto (Mashle)
  • Yuto Suzuki (Sakamoto Days)
  • Kenta Shinohara (SKET Dance, Witch Watch)
Veterans who found success after failure (w/ success since 2010):
  • Naoshi Komi (Double Arts -> Nisekoi)
  • Shuichi Aso (Boku no Watashi no Yūsha-gaku, Shinseiki Idol Densetsu Kanata Seven Change -> The Disasterous Life of Saiki K)
  • Haruichi Furudate (Kiben Gakuha, Yotsuya-senpai no Kaidan -> Haikyu!!)
  • Yūto Tsukuda (Shōnen Shikku -> Food Wars! (story))
  • Daisuke Ashihara (Super Dog Rilienthal -> World Trigger)
  • Kohei Horikoshi ( Oumagadoki Zoo , Sensei no Bulge -> My Hero Academia)
  • Yuki Tabata (Hungry Joker -> Black Clover)
  • Tadahiro Miura (Koisome Momiji -> Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs)
  • Hitsuji Gondaira ( Poro no Ryūgakuki -> Mission: Yozakura Family)
  • Kentarō Yabuki (Yamatai Gensōki -> Black Cat, To Love-Ru (art), Ayakashi Triangle)
I tried not to include any mangaka who had prior experience in other magazines. And this also does not include any mangaka who failed in WSJ but found success elsewhere (like with Kaiju no. 8, Kemono Jihen, or Moriarty the Patriot (story)).

I guess you could argue that the second group is more "mainstream" or "safe". I do think its also interesting how the second group also tends to be longer on average, though.

Last edited:

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Caught up on the last three issues, though I always read One Piece, Akane Banashi, PPPPPP, and Blue Box as soon as they come out. Honestly, I feel content with just reading those four if it came down to it (though if I get a fifth spot it goes to Sakamoto Days).

One Piece is ending this massive saga with a bang and delivering on the already high expectations of post-arc content, god bless the clown; Akane Banashi is handling everything so smoothly, especially how it's introducing so many characters, hierarchies, and building up this current tournament; the subtle but distinct personality shift in Lucky this week in PPPPPP was maybe my favourite development so far in the series... until I realised who the character at the end of the chapter is and how this Fanta arc is setting up for four legendary showdowns with all characters whose arcs are deeply connected to - that is really, really exciting stuff. And Blue Box has been delivering on it being a proper sports manga as of late, with just a dash of Chinatsu victory for extra measure.

On the newer series. Aliens Area and RuriDragon are both still to capture me, but Ruri is delivering on expectations and genre conventions way more. AA, while mostly generic, has nuggets of potential. But it's weirdly slow paced (while being quick to read) which is not the smartest choice and I think will be its downfall. Super Smartphone enters into goofy territory now and then but overall I'm quite entertained by it. The recent three way phone conversation gave me more hope for how these dramatic situations will be handled if it does survive. If it ends up a secret success and stays this fun I won't complain.

On Earthchild, I think it's quite simply that sometimes something is just bad - to the point where it's almost universally panned, isn't well-received commercially, and its content can be picked apart for amateurish mistakes. It's often less accomplished rookies who fall into this category so I think it's more disappointing to see someone with a 'semi-success' come back with such a colossal flop. I don't think it's a case where there are series that have dedicated fans but it has a niche appeal so feels unpopular to many. The confesses seems pretty strong that EC was just an epic swing and a miss... but I'll wait until it gets cancelled for real before I give my full dissection of all its failures :)

My guess is that Earthchild may do a timeskip in the next couple issues and have a short final arc where the kid is an adult, like how Moriking had wrapped up every plot point but then pulled one more arc out of nowhere for the last 6-7 chapters since it still had some time left.
Lost amongst the excess of exposition and madness there are actually text boxes from Mamoru's POV in the future which hint to it circle back to him so I agree we'll get a few chapters there in the end.

Last edited:

Javieroski

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Can you imagine Kareri turning evil and her son having to confront her in the near future? I've had that feeling since the first chapters.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Top 500 (6/25)

103. Blue Box #5
108. Sakamoto Days #7
206. The Elusive Samurai #6
212. Mission: Yozakura Family #13
223. Witch Watch #6
256. Ayakashi Triangle #9
408. Akane Banashi #1
488. Me & Roboco #8

Shoseki Top 500 (6/26)

63. Sakamoto Days #7
65. Blue Box #5
117. Mission: Yozakura Family #13
130. The Elusive Samurai #6
183. Witch Watch #6
303. Akane Banashi #1
405. Me & Roboco #8
474. Ayakashi Triangle #9
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

• Kawada ( Kikai Banashi Hanasaka Ikkyū, Smoky B.B. -> Hinomaru Sumo)
??? The artist for Hanasaka Ikkyuu and Smoky B.B. is "Kawada Yuuya", not the same Kawada of Hinomaru Zumo, isn't even the same art Galaxy :grin

So "Kawada" it's in the first category.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
What's even wilder to think is Yusei Matsui and Ryo Nakama both went straight into serialisation without a oneshot which is an extra rarity on top of them both finding success with their first series.
Both had one-shots, right? Or you mean they didn't have any that weren't precursors to their series?

Looks like Nakama had one about a traveling rabbit (though I don't know if that was a character in Isobe).

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
This last Sunday I thought to myself "Hey, I actually really like the roster right now". I was kind of surprised, but I think 2022 has been great so far, with the rise of P6, Akane, and even Super Smartphone. I don't think SS is a masterpiece or anything, but it's nice to have the genre represented, and every week I want to see what happens next.

Sakamoto Days, WW, and BB are some of my favorites as well. I was not big on WW at first, but somehow it reached my top 5 without me even noticing. It's so unabashedly fun. I want to read Sket Dance soon. There have been fewer serializations than usual lately, but they've been pretty good ones.

Rukasu

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This last Sunday I thought to myself "Hey, I actually really like the roster right now". I was kind of surprised, but I think 2022 has been great so far, with the rise of P6, Akane, and even Super Smartphone. I don't think SS is a masterpiece or anything, but it's nice to have the genre represented, and every week I want to see what happens next.

Sakamoto Days, WW, and BB are some of my favorites as well. I was not big on WW at first, but somehow it reached my top 5 without me even noticing. It's so unabashedly fun. I want to read Sket Dance soon. There have been fewer serializations than usual lately, but they've been pretty good ones.
I agree!! Was thinking the same thing these past days, apart from Eartchild and Doron I fully enjoy all the series we have right now. It's maybe the most solid one since I started reading the magazine weekly in 2019

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think this feeling reflects in what i said last week about how full is the magazine at this moment, with Black Clover and Hunter x Hunter about to return soon and both Super Smartphone and Ruri Dragon potentially being popular series the magazine would be basically:

Veteran series: One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, My Hero Academia, Black Clover, Jujutsu Kaisen

Estabilished series: Mission: Yozakura Family, Undead Unluck, Mashle, Me & Roboco, High School Family, Sakamoto Days, The Elusive Samurai, Witch Watch, Blue Box

New popular series: PPPPPP, Akane Banashi, potentially Super Smartphone & Ruri Dragon

Basically 18 out of 20/21 spots occupied in the magazine, that's a pretty full Shonen Jump, which is good because shows some consistency but at the same time bad due to the magazine system of always keeping the wheel spinning when it comes to serialization, but we're obviously going to open the gates very soon with UU, Mashle and MHA ending soon.

Giblow_20

Reaction score
Country
Australia

I agree, I think a lot of the new series like Ruri, Akane and PPPPPP are fresh and interesting and this school arc in Sakamoto Days is such a fun idea. While I do think Jump needs to foster some new 'next big thing' to replace the older series I like what we have now (besides EC).

I have been reading Rookies recently to fill the sports gap, Blue Box and HSF kind of fill that itch. But I hope Jump gets an actual spokon in soon and makes it stick.

Hope you enjoy Sket Dance, it starts of light but actually has some great emotional moments later on.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shoseki Top 500 (6/20/22 - 6/26/22)

93. Blue Box #5 (9,916 / 110,844)
94. Sakamoto Days #7 (9,728 / 88,267)
191. The Elusive Samurai #6 (4,487 / 64,640)
222. Witch Watch #6 (3,981 / 49,057)
245. Mission: Yozakura Family #13 (3,647 / 37,797)
247. Ayakashi Triangle #9 (3,618 / 55,503)
310. Akane Banashi #1 (2,795 / 28,567)

Druser

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice number for Akane, a couple thousand short of Mashle's start. I wonder where the peak will be. If I had to guess, I think it'll hit 100k pre-anime or thereabouts (might be a bit of a high estimate though tbh).

About the state of the roster, while I think the upper echelons are kind of weak for my enjoyment (Undead Unluck is my second favorite, and I'm not sure it would crack my top 15% among all manga), I do think there are quite a few more manga I enjoy compared to e.g. a year and a half ago, when I really only liked One Piece, Undead Unluck, and Sakamoto Days.

ViraXVtuber

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess just thought that a veteran would bring hype and maybe something new to the table that would be interesting instantly. Just want a new series that will be int from the start, instantly grab attention like Assassination Classroom or Chainsawman where it brought anticipation for each chapter from the beginning. At least for me anyway… Also new Mangaka in jump dosent always equal to new or not safe.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Candy flurry and Neru are examples of new Mangaka that didn’t do to much of new, especially since they were axed bring to them not being able to have much anticipation. Not from what I saw anyway. But the creator of Neru Minya Hiraga does have nice art. Saw their latest one shot from last year. Was really interesting, they could work well on Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.