Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion | Page 276 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion

Which of the new series you're most excited for? (You can vote in 2 series at most)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
New poll about Aliens Area performance on Shonen Jump is up!

mango45

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
England
Weekly Shoseki Top 500 (6/20/22 - 6/26/22)

93. Blue Box #5 (9,916 / 110,844)
94. Sakamoto Days #7 (9,728 / 88,267)
191. The Elusive Samurai #6 (4,487 / 64,640)
222. Witch Watch #6 (3,981 / 49,057)
245. Mission: Yozakura Family #13 (3,647 / 37,797)
247. Ayakashi Triangle #9 (3,618 / 55,503)
310. Akane Banashi #1 (2,795 / 28,567)
Well, this is depressing. GJ to Sakamoto for still keeping the growth even if still behind Mashle's pace, and congrats to Witch Watch for managing some minimal growth after pushing their whole social media strategy. Sadly all of its backlogs are now completely out of rankings and I hardly think the series will benefit anymore.

Blue Box is now decreasing and down to Mashle's last volume, like 107k, considering its third week estimation is inflated (17k vs 14k cutoff in Oricon); Elusive is obviously down compared to the 71k of its last volume; Yozakura is down too even if not as much as it seems because v12 was already inflated (same case as Blue Box this month, higher estimation than Oricon cutoff), so it's once again another 3-4k drop; and Ayakashi keeps its incredibly stagnant performance with incredibly poor legs.

It's honestly crazy that Akane, having had stock issues all over the month and urgent reprints still not in stores, is outselling not only Roboco (which hasn't even ranked on its 4th week and hasn't grown a single bit after all the latest promotion and push) but many other action battle series that are supposedly 'hits' in the magazine. I wonder how the "different genre" argument is going to be used now when it's a rakugo drama series, probably one of the most niche things to try out in the magazine, outperforming 'safe stuff'. I'm already predicting answers such as "but it's a spokon!" or similar.

Druser

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's honestly crazy that Akane, having had stock issues all over the month and urgent reprints still not in stores, is outselling not only Roboco (which hasn't even ranked on its 4th week and hasn't grown a single bit after all the latest promotion and push) but many other action battle series that are supposedly 'hits' in the magazine. I wonder how the "different genre" argument is going to be used now when it's a rakugo drama series, probably one of the most niche things to try out in the magazine, outperforming 'safe stuff'. I'm already predicting answers such as "but it's a spokon!" or similar.
ngl, I like it quite a lot, but it honestly is a pretty standard spokon. It's not niche in its construction, it's basically Haikyu.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What's even wilder to think is Yusei Matsui and Ryo Nakama both went straight into serialisation without a oneshot which is an extra rarity on top of them both finding success with their first series.
Both had one-shots, right? Or you mean they didn't have any that weren't precursors to their series?

Looks like Nakama had one about a traveling rabbit (though I don't know if that was a character in Isobe).
both Neuro and Isobee were oneshots before getting turned into a series

Isobbe oneshot was even infamous for being the emergency oneshot that replaced One Piece when Oda took the unexpected hiatus circa 2013 iirc

ItsSamu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
both Neuro and Isobee were oneshots before getting turned into a series

Isobbe oneshot was even infamous for being the emergency oneshot that replaced One Piece when Oda took the unexpected hiatus circa 2013 iirc
My error in that case, I couldn't find reference to their one shots online. Would be interesting to know if there are any mangaka out there who go their first serialisation without any one shots first but seems unlikely.

ngl, I like it quite a lot, but it honestly is a pretty standard spokon. It's not niche in its construction, it's basically Haikyu.
I partially agree, though if Akane Banashi is a spokon, and spokon are essentially just battle manga with sports, then Akane Banashi is a battle manga. Therefore we've found our new hit battle manga for the magazine, I guess.

But really, if we're talking purely structure of the core 'action' scenes the only thing that really separates Akane Banashi from Haikyuu from Black Clover is how the characters 'fight', be it with rakugo, volleyball, or magic. Since rakugo isn't technically a sport I'd still class it as a drama more than spokon. After Blue Box's recent chapters it's nice to see it present like a proper sports series, even if not just in the typical way we're used to with Jump. It's more akin to Mitsuru Adachi where what happens on the field is important and often shown to us but is more about serving the emotional arc of the characters.

Saying that, I'd be more than happy for another spokon in the magazine soon.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
My error in that case, I couldn't find reference to their one shots online. Would be interesting to know if there are any mangaka out there who go their first serialisation without any one shots first but seems unlikely.
no one knows who Candy Flurry writer Ippon Takegushi is, no previous oneshots, no previous mentions, no awards, no nothing

same with Ziga writer Rokurou Sano and Ral Grad writer Tsuneo Takano, but people seems to think they are Takuma Yokota and Tsugumi Ohba using different pennames

Druser

Reaction score
Country
United States
I partially agree, though if Akane Banashi is a spokon, and spokon are essentially just battle manga with sports, then Akane Banashi is a battle manga. Therefore we've found our new hit battle manga for the magazine, I guess.

But really, if we're talking purely structure of the core 'action' scenes the only thing that really separates Akane Banashi from Haikyuu from Black Clover is how the characters 'fight', be it with rakugo, volleyball, or magic. Since rakugo isn't technically a sport I'd still class it as a drama more than spokon. After Blue Box's recent chapters it's nice to see it present like a proper sports series, even if not just in the typical way we're used to with Jump. It's more akin to Mitsuru Adachi where what happens on the field is important and often shown to us but is more about serving the emotional arc of the characters.

Saying that, I'd be more than happy for another spokon in the magazine soon.
Well, you know. Most such manga are ultimately some combination of Ashita no Joe, Devilman, and Dragon Ball. I think it's most useful to look at through the lens of a sports manga.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Going to try to predict issue 32

Cover: The Elusive Samurai
Color pages: Super Smartphone, PPPPPP, Highschool Family

Teennitro

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
MHA might have the next cover it's 8th anniversary is next week

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its been a few days but I wanted to throw my hat into this discussion:

how long I think series have left that I can guess based off what we have
One Piece: 250 chapters
MHA: 38 more chapters
JJK: 63 more chapters
BC:132 more chapters
MYF: 97 more chapters
UU: 27 more chapters
MASHLE: 24 more chapters
Sakamoto Days: 85 more chapters
High School Family: 114 more chapters
Blue Box: 67 more chapters
PPPPPP:91 more chapters
The Elusive Samurai: 48 more chapters
About a year ago I made a similar prediction, so its about time I update it.

I predicted Dr.STONE would get to 28 (vs. 26) and Magu would get only 8 (vs. 9). I also thought HSF would end ~Mid 2022 and P6 would bomb. Lol.

One Piece - 120 Volumes (~160 chapters left)
My Hero Academia - 40 Volumes (~36 chapters left)
Black Clover - 42 Volumes (~104 chapters left)
Mission: Yozakura Family - 24 Volumes (~69 chapters left)
Undead Unluck - 15 Volumes (~17 chapters left)*
Mashle - 16 Volumes (~32 chapters left)
Me & Roboco - 22 Volumes (~126 chapters left)
High School Family - Depends*
Sakamoto Days - 28 Volumes (~174 chapters left)
The Elusive Samurai - 20 Volumes (~110 chapters left)*
Witch Watch - 24 Volumes (~129 chapters left)
Blue Box - 18 Volumes (~110 chapters left)
PPPPPP - 14 Volumes (~88 chapters left)
Akane-banashii - 18 Volumes (~140 chapters left)
Super Smartphone - 12 Volumes (~100 chapters left)
AA, Ruri - No Idea
Doron, EC - As Soon As Possible

*UU could end with Volume 14 (~8 chapters) if Andy/Victor & Fuuko vs Billy happens next (for final lore dumps) and it wraps up with a "and the adventure continues!" as Fuuko enters the final loop.
*Even though HSF sells poorly, it is consistent, stable, and (at the very least) not hated; so it is useful to keep around for the time being. It stays until the magazine is full enough that it isn't needed anymore. I imagine Ryo would end it naturally between Volume 21 (~148 chapters) and Volume 30 (~247 chapters).
*TES sales have dropped enough that I wouldn't be surprised if Matsui concludes the story sooner than that, ~Volume 12 (~38 chapters). It would not be hard to wrap up the story as soon as the current arc/saga ends. Most characters will have completed their arcs and there won't be many known antagonists left, so its a good jumping-off place (with maybe a volume or two to speed-run the rest of the history).

Last edited:

Cerclox

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Do you guys think there's a chance we get another anime announcement this year or it will be just Mashle

redon

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Weekly Shonen Jump #31/2022

MASHLE (Jump cover and lead color pages, TV Anime announcement)
Akane Banashi
Boku no Hero Academia
Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi
Sakamoto Days
Dr. Stone (Color Pages, 51 pages special chapter)
Witch Watch
ALIENS AREA

Undead Unluck
(Color Pages, 23 pages)
Ruri Dragon
PPPPPP

Blue Box (Color Pages)
Mission of Yozakura Family
Me and Roboko
Super Smartphone
Kokousei Kazoku
Doron Dororon
Children of the Earth

Jujutsu Kaisen (Break)
One Pice (Hiatus until issue #34/2022)
Black Clover (Hiatus)

Weekly Shonen Jump #32/2022 preview

Me and Roboko (Jump cover and lead color pages for its 2nd Anniversary)
Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi (Color Pages)
Super Smartphone
(Color Pages)
¿? (Color Pages, One-shot)
Boku no Hero Academia (Break)
Black Clover (Hiatus)

Last edited:

Druser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Super Smartphone took a big drop, down to bottom 5.

KagamiKuroko

Reaction score
Country
United States
oof supersmartphone drop

Cerclox

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Roboco cover lol and smartphone drop

TiC

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Weekly Shonen Jump #31/2022

MASHLE (Jump cover and lead color pages, TV Anime announcement)
Akane Banashi
Boku no Hero Academia
Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi
Sakamoto Days
Dr. Stone (Color Pages, 51 pages special chapter)
Witch Watch
ALIENS AREA

Undead Unluck
(Color Pages, 23 pages)
Ruri Dragon
PPPPPP

Blue Box (Color Pages)
Mission of Yozakura Family
Me and Roboko
Super Smartphone
Kokousei Kazoku
Doron Dororon
Children of the Earth

Jujutsu Kaisen (Break)
Black Clover (Hiatus)

Weekly Shonen Jump #32/2022 preview

Me and Roboko (Jump cover and lead color pages for its 2nd Anniversary)
Black Clover (Hiatus)
Wow super early, thanks redon.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Wow that was fast kkkk thanks @redon! :kkthumbs

Interesting ToC, i think most didn't fully really realised but Akane Banashi it's in 1st place!!! That's something i not expected to see, maybe OP and JJK being both absent made this 95% easier to achieve but still a impressive thing to do, it's a freaking rakugo series beating stuff like My Hero Academia for example, so is always nice to see different series being at the top of the ToC.

Pretty high placement for TES, despite the constant drop in sales Jump still going for, Fujimaki wished he had this commitment from the editorial with RxL kkkk.

As expected that bottom 2 ranking for P6 was just a one time thing, series is already recovering well, Yozakura also out of bottom and HSF having a lower moment but is going to recover too.

Well, the dream it's over? kkkk that was a very fast drop for Super Smartphone but not entirely surprising since chapter 2 and the few next were just okay-ish, i would be more surprised if it still doing that well, it's probably going to rise when the chapters everyone started to enjoy more gets ranked.

Despite knowing it would be ridiculous i actually had a bit of fear i would see a "End" on Doron Dororon this issue because of the theory about Earthchild ending in 2 chapters but we will probably get new series on #38 as i expected from the beggining unless we get some surprise 1 round in issue #33 but i doubt is going to happen.

Roboco getting the cover for 2nd anniversary, isn't really surprising, it was obvious it would get a cover when the last color page wasn't for anniversary, now i'm curious to see which series will get on #33.

Status
Not open for further replies.