Discussion - Unpopular Opinions | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Unpopular Opinions

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
The Dogramag arc was just a waste of time and didn't add anything big to the story other than Ignia's goal (which of course will fail). This arc makes absolutely no sense in terms of powerscaling the fights were badly written the BDSKs and Dragon Eaters were very bland and Diabolos' sympathy towards Selene and FT is hypocritical and sickening. Fortunately, I started 100YQ in November 2022 otherwise I would have given up. I hope that this new arc will finally fix all the problems of the Spin-off and that Gold Owl will not be a Spriggan 3.0.
Lol I've seen some people who like labyrinth arc. Only good thing about labyrinth arc is chapter 107 every other thing is trash

grey matter

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
The Dogramag arc was just a waste of time and didn't add anything big to the story other than Ignia's goal (which of course will fail). This arc makes absolutely no sense in terms of powerscaling the fights were badly written the BDSKs and Dragon Eaters were very bland and Diabolos' sympathy towards Selene and FT is hypocritical and sickening. Fortunately, I started 100YQ in November 2022 otherwise I would have given up.
It's been all downhill since mid Aldoron arc.

The hype slowly died down, to almost non existent now.

I hope that this new arc will finally fix all the problems of the Spin-off and that Gold Owl will not be a Spriggan 3.0.
Wow

@Darklord#10 Profile pic

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Mh is probably the best fT forum I've been on. Atleast we have some reasonable guys in here and to be honest some wanks in here make me laugh so hard.

Cosmicstar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Mh is probably the best fT forum I've been on. Atleast we have some reasonable guys in here and to be honest some wanks in here make me laugh so hard.
Yea not really. In the average discussion sure but when talking powerscaling or battles nah this forum is as bad as the others.

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Yea not really. In the average discussion sure but when talking powerscaling or battles nah this forum is as bad as the others.
Lol mh is better tbh. Someone on Reddit try to convince me that Lucy has the same MP as Erza and fire dragon king natsu. I also saw on Reddit one Erza fans were complaining about how Erza didn't do anything in Alvarez arc. People on Reddit were doing damage control because Erza said natsu was the one that Beat acnologia. Men I've seen so many nonsense on Reddit and comic Vine even on the discord it's same thing. Yeah the power scaling is bad but that's mostly due to fT having inconsistent power scaling

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol mh is better tbh. Someone on Reddit try to convince me that Lucy has the same MP as Erza and fire dragon king natsu. I also saw on Reddit one Erza fans were complaining about how Erza didn't do anything in Alvarez arc. People on Reddit were doing damage control because Erza said natsu was the one that Beat acnologia. Men I've seen so many nonsense on Reddit and comic Vine even on the discord it's same thing. Yeah the power scaling is bad but that's mostly due to fT having inconsistent power scaling
They are just as bad on here when it comes to powerscaling and fights. Actually maybe not as bad but still really bad.

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France
The Dogramag arc was just a waste of time and didn't add anything big to the story other than Ignia's goal (which of course will fail). This arc makes absolutely no sense in terms of powerscaling the fights were badly written the BDSKs and Dragon Eaters were very bland and Diabolos' sympathy towards Selene and FT is hypocritical and sickening. Fortunately, I started 100YQ in November 2022 otherwise I would have given up. I hope that this new arc will finally fix all the problems of the Spin-off and that Gold Owl will not be a Spriggan 3.0.
Speaking facts

SleipnirX

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Idk if this counts as an unpopular opinion now, but at the time it certainly seemed to be. I think both the time skips (7 years after the Tenrou Island exams and 1 year after the Tartarous incident) really messed with characterisation for several characters, and worse undermined one of the core tenets of the series (that being the Fairy Tail guild is like a family and they’d do anything for each other) and this series has never really recovered from that.

starting with the 7 year skip, one unintended consequence was to really draw attention to the fact the guild always had two tiers of members, basically everyone who was on Tenrou island (the gang with backstory and at least some agency), and everyone who wasn’t (filler characters there to pad out the guild’s membership and provide the occasional comedic moment). While this was inevitable in a series like this (I understand giving Everyone their own background arc wouldn’t be possible) it had been much less visible before, and it was easier to sort of believe the ‘one big family’ spiel. I can understand why he wanted Fairy Tail to be an underdog for the Grand Magic Games, but he really messed up some fundamental dynamics in doing it, and the Guild sort of went from feeling like an important home for the characters previously to just a background location for them to regroup between missions afterwards. That’s particularly bad for a series where the smaller slice of life moments were among if not the best moments it had to offer. In terms of messing up characterisation I’ll just go over a couple of missed opportunities and a couple of characters who took weird turns afterwards, as frankly this skip should have had meaningful positive and negative consequences for everyone in the story.

Romeo is the obvious missed opportunity. If anyone was there waiting to grow into his own and had the motive to try and fill the gap left by Natsu’s absence, well…

If Laxus had missed out on the Timeskip, he could’ve matured into a really compelling guildmaster if he’d gone back to take up the reins - and being in that role wouldn’t necessarily have stopped the overall slide of Fairy Tail’s ranking as he’d be tied up with paperwork as master a lot of the time.

Second origin was a total cop-out, Natsu in particular I thought was really harmed by it. It made the 4 dragonslayer battle a while later a total farce. Either Natsu and Gajeel should have been forced to work together to win against Sting and Rogue, or they should have failed to stop the infighting and lost as a consequence.

With the year long skip, the fact that everyone just shrugged and went their separate ways, with very few implied to have kept in any sort of close contact is weird for a self-described ‘family’. The fact Lucy didn’t feel able to reach out to anyone during this period is also really weird when they’d all put their lives on the line to keep her safe from Phantom Lord at that time less than a year prior (At least as perceived by half the guild members and Lucy herself). This is also feels like a massive regression for Lucy’s self confidence which had been building up over the course of the series. If she was that lonely she still couldn’t bring herself to reach out to anyone she’d known without having Natsu come and hold her hand first? Really?

Evil Gray when he was already teasing evil Natsu was a bit much, and it was never explained why Gray killed Frosch in this period? The fact he led Juvia on then just abandoned her without a word as to why always sat wrong with me too. The fact Gray and Erza took off without even speaking to Lucy first is another really weird contrivance to arrive at the isolated Lucy point as well. Post timeskip Erza also went through a phase where it felt like she’d given up trying to improve herself and just become a Natsu cheerleader… thankfully that wasn’t followed through with. The fight against Ikusatsunagi at the climax of the Avatar arc was a perfect opportunity to call back to the Lullaby 3 on 1 fight, but no, just another Natsu one punch.

I do feel like at least Wendy should have defected for good. If everyone really did go and move on then he should have made that a consequence of the guild being gone for a year. I can understand those who grew up from children in FT jumping at the opportunity to go back but Wendy had only been there for a few months, so arguably she should have been even better friends with Chelia and everyone at Lamia Scale after a whole year! Overall the lack of changes like this just made it feel like a contrived holding pattern for Natsu’s dramatic powered up re-emergence, not an event which actually had any meaning!

Finally, ‘never really recovered’ may seem a bit dramatic, but I really think something went missing in these skips. It felt like the series’ scope contracted, the small amount of effort put into developing characters outside of the core 4 stopped almost entirely, it’s just become about throwing Natsu up against increasingly ludicrous enemies cuz he’s just that amazingly stronk now. Even Erza and Gray are almost never the ones to help turn the tide anymore (and that’s on the rare occasion things actually are going against them in the first place!). I’m glad 100YQ has sort of given us a bit of worldbuilding again, even though it’s been quite limited. I would like to see a return to some of the drive the characters had in the early part of the series too.

Sorry this was a bit of a long post, I’ve been feeling a bit nostalgic for this series recently and I used to love doing a breakdown of the story dynamics!

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Giant gajeel was pointless. What did it accomplish within three minutes? Can someone share with me, I want to see your thoughts on this. Imo it just pissed the already pissed off aldo-chan

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France
Giant gajeel was pointless. What did it accomplish within three minutes? Can someone share with me, I want to see your thoughts on this. Imo it just pissed the already pissed off aldo-chan
Totally agree. Maybe it was an excuse to give Gajeel some time to shine because he previously took a L against a holding back Natsu. He was beaten up so bad he couldn't even defend his pregnant girlfriend

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Totally agree. Maybe it was an excuse to give Gajeel some time to shine because he previously took a L against a holding back Natsu. He was beaten up so bad he couldn't even defend his pregnant girlfriend
What was mashima thinking writing that fight cuz aldoron stomped a brandish+gajeel combo in three minutes and he proceeds to absolutely stomp the whole vicinity with thickets

Garmadooon

Reaction score
Country
France
I agree, at least defeating the God Seeds made sense to help Natsu but Giant Gajeel against a sleeping DG sucked. Hell some people even claimed Giant Gajeel could fight Acnologia like Gildarts did 🤡🤡

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Erza dick rides natsu way too much. It's fucking annoying. Happy and the exceed from elentear are the best cats in the mashima verse, frosch is annoying asf, lector I don't really give a damn about him same with lily. Carla is just a rude stuck-up bitch. Laxus is a cool guy fucking badass not more than natsu tho.
Mavis is arguably one of mashima's best piece of work. Zeref is a good character. Natsu doesn't have character development

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Mehn I don't get why people like him
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Suzaku and kyria are the only saving grace of Diabolos guild. Suzaku legit carried the whole guild on his back. Even though he's sucking Selene's tits now, he was the MVP for two arcs straight. He appeared three times on volume cover. Anytime suzaku is on screen he just gives sense of calm. I really like his character. The reason why people are butthurt about suzaku is that all his feats doesn't stem from POF. He's just strong
https://ibb.co/xGKNvc2 Man is built different
--- Double Post Merged, ---

There's too much simps(aka white knights) in fairy tail fandom. I don't know if it's because they just too horny but it's fucking annoying.
People that hate jellal are just jealous that he's going to bang the hime/megami Erza or sometimes people hate jellal because Erza will not be a yuri character or sometimes people hate jellal because then Erza won't be "STRONG" because she likes a guy. I have yet to see a decent reason why people don't like jellal. I don't care about Simon's death, nothing to do with jellal
Selene>>Eileen

Last edited:

Garmadooon

Reaction score
Country
France
There's too much simps(aka white knights) in fairy tail fandom. I don't know if it's because they just too horny but it's fucking annoying.
No one simps on BDSK lmfao now everyone knows they are garbage. But I find it funny that there was a "Kirin vs Igneel" thread 🤭🤭

WoWfan

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
It managed to stagger Aldoron for a while, unable to move so it doesn’t stomp around destroying everythingl

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
No one simps on BDSK lmfao now everyone knows they are garbage. But I find it funny that there was a "Kirin vs Igneel" thread 🤭🤭
i do not mean bdsk simp

FireIce

Reaction score
Country
France
Gruvia was a nice ship at first but it slowly but surely had a negative impact on both Gray and Juvia's development as characters.