Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2025) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,394
Reaction score
39,068
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Moderator Notice:

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP THREAD RULES​

1. No fights or personal insults.
2. No bait or troll comments with the intention of annoying or starting heated discussions, if i notice it, i will warn the user or delete the comment.
3. No toxic attitude towards series, no one is obligated to enjoy any series and it's totally fine to criticize what you don't like, just avoid posting gratuitous hateful or toxic comments about X or Y series, if i notice this behavior, comment will be deleted.
4. Don't bring politics or off-topic stuff to the thread, this is about Weekly Shonen Jump magazine and mangas, so keep any conversation about topics that aren't relate about anime & manga outside the thread.
5. Don't post news about series from other magazine or publishers in the WSJ thread, post in the series own thread, but it's fine if you're mentioning other series or magazine to express a opinion or reflection about Shonen Jump.
6. Any tweet, specially japanese, about news, update or some interesting thing about the magazine or series has to come with a text of what that tweet means and also be on topic, if not it's going to be either deleted or i will edit the post.
7. No self advertising or advertising Youtubers videos in the comments.
8. Fanart posts just for the sake of posting is prohibited, this rule doesn't apply for official art by Jump artists posted on social media, they're fine to post
9. Don't discuss or hype chapter spoilers before Sunday release, only comment if is related to a series surviving status and do it only inside the spoiler tag.
~ Shinuki


I hope everybody read these rules and follow it without problem, the comment will soon be sticked at the top of the thread to be visible in every page, so if any doubt about what to avoid doing, just check it, also if i feel like any new rule has to be added in the future, i will do. Thanks!

Obs: Rules about fanart edited!
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Probably wouldn't say rare as Mashima (fairy tail), Murata, Boichi, Yoshikawa Miki, Tanaka Yasuki, Takeshi Obata, to name a few have pretty continuously gone from one manga to another .

Feels rare for people to just leave manga industry entirely (phantom seer writer or naoshi komi)
Yea, seems for the most part mangaka tend to take about 1-3 years between series to build the foundation for something new before returning.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
How would people rate this year in terms of new series and what is everyone’s thoughts on them?
Good year for shonen plus, but wsj in term of quality and sales is so damn huge in a span of a couple years. Things can always hit an massive curve with a snap. Not saying it's bad but compared having manga back then even leaving out mha and JJk. haikyuu,TPN,kimetsu,black clover,WNL (folded in the end tho), yuuna, csm, (funny that we had boruto in the magazine too).

That the magazine accept 15k sellers now is crazyyy.
 

galaxy-juice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2021
Messages
895
Reaction score
1,829
Age
25
Country
United States
My thoughts on the manga from last year:
  1. Hima-ten is pretty good
  2. The rest get the axe (tied)
The only good manga in history, unfortunately, was Cipher Academy (w/ Ichinose in close second)
 

Dogmagril

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2023
Messages
207
Reaction score
437
Age
21
Country
United States
Is Shinuki okay?
What happened?


He hasn't posted anything on here since Friday.

I just looked his username up on twitter and...............



Looks like he is alive on twitter however. At least 6 hours ago.


On a side note,I feel all skeevy doing that and now i feel like I broke some rule doing this.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
He hasn't posted anything on here since Friday.

I just looked his username up on twitter and...............



Looks like he is alive on twitter however. At least 6 hours ago.


On a side note,I feel all skeevy doing that and now i feel like I broke some rule doing this.
Okay cool. Thanks for checking.

And eh, I personally don't think it's that weird. He's posted things from his twitter before on here, so it makes sense that other users from here who use twitter would follow him.
 

monstera11

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
1,978
Reaction score
1,631
Age
36
Country
Australia
@JBC008 ok thanks for letting me know about Furudate's study jump. I didn't know that
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Not sure what the point of that would be given the context.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Bro what. Rumiko is literally still making manga in a weekly magazine (alibiet with hiatuses). Arakawa has two currently running series. Urasawa has one as well. Literally, why use them as examples if you didn't bother to Google it first?
Gotoge and Furudate are still young. Gotoge has openly talked about wanting to return. Sure, they made a lot of money. However, many mangaka don't get into the industry for money, they do so for passion. If they still have the passion they will return.

You're grasping at nothing, for a reason I can't quite ascertain.
Bro, you misunderstood my post. I literally quoted Rumiko, Arakawa and Urasawa as the exception that constantly churn new mangas even after finishing their hits. Perhaps due to my weirdly worded sentence. My bad i am not exactly native English speaker.

Those 3 are my fav mangakas and I literally collected their mangas. Of course i know about it. I don't need google as I know what mangas they constantly made because they are on my shelves lol.
And you were not here when i talked about Rumiko constantly making mangas unlike so many other wsj authors who seem to disappear

Anyway, my bad again for my badly worded sentence.

--- Double Post Merged, ---


And here is the proof of me talking about Rumiko constantly making new mangas - post 16,812 from last year thread.

 
Last edited:

Hawke

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
703
Reaction score
1,894
Age
28
Country
Vandenreich
I think the idea that creators don't really return to manga is actually a bit biased and full of blindspots — people have listed some names already but I can probably add some more in there like Ryuhei Tamura (different magazine now) or Hiroshii Shiibashi (Nurarihyon no Mago, now in Ultra Jump with a new series) who are active still, just not in Jump present. I'd love to sit and do some research into how many Jump authors came back to Jump (Shinohara, Matsui both in current lineup for forgetful people so even this isn't as untrue given the recency) but I think for a lot of people's perceptions they're too hung up on the biggest names not returning after a major hit and that's completely sensible to me actually. We've seen very clearly long runners or even decently successful manga tend to suffer from health issues and a decently successful series is enough cover them financially for a while. You'd only return out of real passion and with a real story to tell instead of for the sake of it. I'm sure if given time, many of the authors we are not seeing with new works would probably return — hell, even Horikoshi just recently said he's considering a new manga but realistically it'll be a few years— once their time off is sufficient and their desire to tell a story is there.


tl;dr people are making new manga we're just not seeing it or its not living up to public perception/expectation and those who aren't are going to eventually if they feel like it
 

monstera11

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
1,978
Reaction score
1,631
Age
36
Country
Australia
I think the idea that creators don't really return to manga is actually a bit biased and full of blindspots — people have listed some names already but I can probably add some more in there like Ryuhei Tamura (different magazine now) or Hiroshii Shiibashi (Nurarihyon no Mago, now in Ultra Jump with a new series) who are active still, just not in Jump present. I'd love to sit and do some research into how many Jump authors came back to Jump (Shinohara, Matsui both in current lineup for forgetful people so even this isn't as untrue given the recency) but I think for a lot of people's perceptions they're too hung up on the biggest names not returning after a major hit and that's completely sensible to me actually. We've seen very clearly long runners or even decently successful manga tend to suffer from health issues and a decently successful series is enough cover them financially for a while. You'd only return out of real passion and with a real story to tell instead of for the sake of it. I'm sure if given time, many of the authors we are not seeing with new works would probably return — hell, even Horikoshi just recently said he's considering a new manga but realistically it'll be a few years— once their time off is sufficient and their desire to tell a story is there.


tl;dr people are making new manga we're just not seeing it or its not living up to public perception/expectation and those who aren't are going to eventually if they feel like it
Yeah exactly. That's why i used Rumiko as example because a woman of her calibre would have been able to live off royalties off her initial hits like Urusei or Ranma alone. Yet she keeps coming back churning new hits after hits for decades. She is truly the exception. It is hard enough to get one hit. But she constantly hit them (though her recent ones like Rinne etc is not as big relative to previous ones).

I am guessing probably her simplistic artstyle help make the work less taxing? Idk.

And smaller author keep coming back probably because they need the money. Of course, this is a generalization. Because maybe they do comes back out of love too. But it is easier for big authors to take long break without worrying too much about money. I don't think being mangaka particularly pays you well (compared to the hellish schedule).

I know a (not so well known) western comic book artist in person, who actually told me that what he earned is about the same as what his sibling earns working as banker. But his workload is heavier. He said he is doing it only because he like it (and to avoid office politics as compared to working in a bank lol)
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
@JBC008 ok thanks for letting me know about Furudate's study jump. I didn't know that
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Bro, you misunderstood my post. I literally quoted Rumiko, Arakawa and Urasawa as the exception that constantly churn new mangas even after finishing their hits. Perhaps due to my weirdly worded sentence. My bad i am not exactly native English speaker.

Those 3 are my fav mangakas and I literally collected their mangas. Of course i know about it. I don't need google as I know what mangas they constantly made because they are on my shelves lol.
And you were not here when i talked about Rumiko constantly making mangas unlike so many other wsj authors who seem to disappear

Anyway, my bad again for my badly worded sentence.

--- Double Post Merged, ---


And here is the proof of me talking about Rumiko constantly making new mangas - post 16,812 from last year thread.

My bad, I didn't catch that it was an ESL thing. Now I feel like an asshole lol.
Regardless though bro, there's so many veteran mangaka I can name working right now. Those 3 aren't the exceptions.
For current & former Jump mangaka that have made manga so popular they don't need to work again, yet still work, I can name Kishimoto; Matsui, Fujimaki, Takei, Araki, Watsuki, Sanjo, and Shimabukuro (not serializing now, but tried coming back with Build King a while back).

Togashi also counts given YYH, and he's perfect example of a mangaka working solely for passion. His schedule allows him to come back when he wants and is ready due to his health issues and how much of an asset he is for the company. He doesn't have to come back. This series is literally helping to kill him, but he still comes back. It's clearly not for the money, so what else is it?
 
Last edited:

monstera11

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
1,978
Reaction score
1,631
Age
36
Country
Australia
My bad, I didn't catch that it was an ESL thing. Now I feel like an asshole lol.
Regardless though bro, there's so many veteran mangaka I can name working right now. Those 3 aren't the exceptions.
Ah yeah i used those 3 because they are the most successful names that i am most familiar with. Those are my personal fav
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Ah yeah i used those 3 because they are the most successful names that i am most familiar with. Those are my personal fav
They're all great. Tbh, when everyone was talking about Shueshia poaching famous mangaka to come to Jump, I wanted to suggest Arakawa, but stopped myself. Not even for fun am I gonna ask for Yomi no Tsugai to end early.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Main PV for Dr Stone

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

My Hero Academia Volume 42 has reached 1.000.000 copies in circulation
The volume was quickly reprinted

Well deserved even if the epilogue was too open ended for my liking.

HeroAca is a top 5 series in the annals of shonen jump history
 

Nuesmoker

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2024
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
3,336
Age
27
Country
Italy
HeroAca is a top 5 series in the annals of shonen jump history
I do wonder if the internet will hold MHA and JJK on the same kind of pedistal as One Piece, Naruto and Bleach, cause I feel like they've deserved it
 

JBC008

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 17, 2023
Messages
6,008
Reaction score
2,440
Age
34
Country
Avatar
Feels rare for people to just leave manga industry entirely (phantom seer writer or naoshi komi)
They haven’t left. They still release one-shots.
 

Hawke

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Messages
703
Reaction score
1,894
Age
28
Country
Vandenreich
My bad, I didn't catch that it was an ESL thing. Now I feel like an asshole lol.
Regardless though bro, there's so many veteran mangaka I can name working right now. Those 3 aren't the exceptions.
For current & former Jump mangaka that have made manga so popular they don't need to work again, yet still work, I can name Kishimoto; Matsui, Fujimaki, Takei, Araki, Watsuki, Sanjo, and Shimabukuro (not serializing now, but tried coming back with Build King a while back).

Togashi also counts given YYH, and he's perfect example of a mangaka working solely for passion. His schedule allows him to come back when he wants and is ready due to his health issues and how much of an asset he is for the company. He doesn't have to come back. This series is literally helping to kill him, but he still comes back. It's clearly not for the money, so what else is it?
Togashi is quite literally the poster child for passion — maybe to detrimental levels, as if he outsourced a ton of his work he'd possibly be able to keep up in a more practical fashion. But alas, as a fellow creative I empathize, it's not your art anymore if a major aspect (in his case, drawing) changes hands.


Another point I'd like to make is anecdotally it just looks easier for people to serialize in non WSJ magazines. Seems to be far less taxing, which is why we get people like Takahashi and Mashima (although both are unnatural work horses) and the threat of not being axed lets them have more freedom to develop a story and not cater to a certain crowd. I think it really just comes down to serialization risks and deadlines, it's just not physically fun to return to WSJ for a lot of people and I respect that. Maybe I'll go down this rabbit hole and see if this observation holds weight in data, that mangaka just prefer to be serialized in a magazine with more freedom from certain audience expectations and strict deadlines.


I will however, make a bold assumption and say if WSJ was bi-weekly or had figured out a rotating schedule for its manga and creators, we would possibly see more Big Name Veterans return more frequently. Unfortunately we have no way to test this now....but who knows what the future has! Manga as a market is always evolving but WSJ is too profitable and successful to possibly change, but never say never!
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They haven’t left. They still release one-shots.
Phantom seer writer hasn't since 2022, the artist has. Naoshi komi hasn't done anything in four years (just a one piece chapter redraw).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top