Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2025) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,396
Reaction score
39,082
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Moderator Notice:

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP THREAD RULES​

1. No fights or personal insults.
2. No bait or troll comments with the intention of annoying or starting heated discussions, if i notice it, i will warn the user or delete the comment.
3. No toxic attitude towards series, no one is obligated to enjoy any series and it's totally fine to criticize what you don't like, just avoid posting gratuitous hateful or toxic comments about X or Y series, if i notice this behavior, comment will be deleted.
4. Don't bring politics or off-topic stuff to the thread, this is about Weekly Shonen Jump magazine and mangas, so keep any conversation about topics that aren't relate about anime & manga outside the thread.
5. Don't post news about series from other magazine or publishers in the WSJ thread, post in the series own thread, but it's fine if you're mentioning other series or magazine to express a opinion or reflection about Shonen Jump.
6. Any tweet, specially japanese, about news, update or some interesting thing about the magazine or series has to come with a text of what that tweet means and also be on topic, if not it's going to be either deleted or i will edit the post.
7. No self advertising or advertising Youtubers videos in the comments.
8. Fanart posts just for the sake of posting is prohibited, this rule doesn't apply for official art by Jump artists posted on social media, they're fine to post
9. Don't discuss or hype chapter spoilers before Sunday release, only comment if is related to a series surviving status and do it only inside the spoiler tag.
~ Shinuki


I hope everybody read these rules and follow it without problem, the comment will soon be sticked at the top of the thread to be visible in every page, so if any doubt about what to avoid doing, just check it, also if i feel like any new rule has to be added in the future, i will do. Thanks!

Obs: Rules about fanart edited!
 
Last edited:

Dogmagril

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2023
Messages
207
Reaction score
437
Age
21
Country
United States
Youtuber similar to trentin & crash


Oh I actually do watch them. stopped posting January of 2022,came back like an month ago. I didn't really start reading manga until like later in 2022 so I didn't really hear about him until someone mentioned in it on here. Pretty good videos actually.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,545
Reaction score
11,286
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
But what a surprise...
 

JBC008

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 17, 2023
Messages
6,008
Reaction score
2,440
Age
34
Country
Avatar
It was my last for the time being.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

But that doesn’t mean that I can’t talk here for a moment. I missed all of you.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

It’s true, yes, I will be not giving my reviews for the time being. But after missing being on here I have time for a few suggestions for some and be a part of some discussions.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

So is there any youtubers who do videos on jumpy you guys watch that you reccomend?

Trentinart's History of Shonen Jump is real good, real informative about a bunch of seires, half which is next to impossible to find or read. Manga Crash is pretty good too

I know there is an YouTube series similar to it but I forgot the name and is in French and i can't not speak French and YouTube subtitles are real finnicky.


I love to find new youtubers with actual informative content than an anime recap.

Podcasts and/or blogs you reccomend would be cool too.
So to answer this, I also recommend Manga Crash, TrentinArt, and Axelablaze. In fact, I have mentioned my thoughts about them in their comments section on YouTube. In fact, I plan to give them my thoughts on this year’s new series on the 29th (in the comments section not talking in the video). Also, that French YouTuber you were talking about was it Mr. Shonen Jump?

edit: I also forgot to mention of a good Shonen Jump podcast called Shonen Flop as it is hilarious in terms of them giving commentary on why certain Jump titles failed and going over them.

Also with the Ichi discussion I would like to take part. But I will save that when I catch up with the 2 previous chapters. But with the world building, yes it is slow but we got enough exposition, but it is working on the characters first. And yes, there is some lack of action but at the same time, I think it’s building on itself. But unlike Shinobi Undercover which I have had a back and forth with it being my number 1 for the year, it does show action, but made it easier on Ippon cause they didn’t over complicate themselves with the worldbuilding over something like Candy Flurry.

Also with Syd Craft, with that Phantom Thief, I do think this week’s chapter did help to break up the repetitiveness. But it did take a risk with this new addition and approach. But it also took away that possible arc we could have had where Syd and Soufflé could have gone to the play. With this phantom thief Mistcat, she reminds me of this series Kaito Saint Tail. But here it is more subdue due to her personality. But that is just me.

After reading TheRealTravisty’s post, it tore me up inside as I really did miss it here and I would like to post here for a little while longer.
 
Last edited:

EnriqueR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2023
Messages
158
Reaction score
170
Age
35
Country
Spain
My favourite thing about Ichi are the designs: All the magicians look really cool. I also like all three of the main characters, Desscaras being my favourite: she doesn't fail to make me laugh or smile in most chapters.

It is true that the world has not been explored much (yet) but it doesn't feel empty nor small, like it does in many other fantasy works where the setting is in a tiny town that somehow is one of the most important of the world and borders a nordic-themed town, an east asian-themed town, a fancy european town and an arabic-looking town. The chapter with the many other magicians looking at Ichi clearly stablish that we haven't seen but a glimpse of the world. And I appreciate that it's shown, not told in a narration textbox.

I haven't read any of the authors previous work (should I? are they as good?) but I'm glad if it has helped them start slow instead of the rush common of Jump newer series. Also, I do not think it's fair to attribute its success to the mangakas previous work when Astro or Kill Blue are struggling, and many others have completely failed in the past. I think it has been proven that previous fame does not necessarily help if the manga is average at best.

It's not a perfect series though. Its biggest flaw would be how the introduction of Ichi's hunting master was handled. Such sloppy storywriting to address a conflict with a literal "actually, I casually learned how to do that the other day". It reminded me of how all problems were solved in Tenmaku Cinema and we all know how much of a success that was.

Overall I am enjoying it quite a bit. It's probably my top3 series in the magazine right now, after Akane and One Piece. And after the latest chapter ending, I can't wait for the next one.

My votes for for Issue #2:

1. Akane-banashi 138
2. Ichi the Witch 14
3. One Piece 1133

4. Syd Craft
5. Shinobi Undercover

As a mystery fan, I am loving all the detective tropes in Syd Craft. I wonder how is he going to do the longer cases though.

I also enjoyed Sakamoto, Kagurabachi and Blue Box.

For Sakamoto, I wonder if we are getting an actual powerup from Shin or if he gets saved by the old man. Hopefully it's the former, and hopefully it makes sense.

I wonder when Shiba will spill the beans and tell us all about what happened during the last war. Will he wait until the 130s like Akane? While the main story of getting revenge for his father might be shorter than usual for a shonen, it could make it up with a nice flashback arc about the war (which is looking more interesting than the present).
 

JBC008

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 17, 2023
Messages
6,008
Reaction score
2,440
Age
34
Country
Avatar
Everyone, I would like to get your thoughts on something. I said that I will give my thoughts on this year’s titles to Crash and co. On the 29th when his video drops. But I also would like to share my thoughts on this year’s titles as well to get everyone’s opinions. I wrote it down in its preparation. But I would like some other takes on it to help me get more of a sense on what I could be missing.
 

coldmess

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2022
Messages
528
Reaction score
531
Age
34
Country
United States
I haven't read any of the authors previous work (should I? are they as good?)
Iruma-Kun is one of my favorite series of all time, and I think a lot of other people here also like it. It's been running in Shonen Champion for about 400 chapters (and is by far their most successful series).
 

JBC008

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 17, 2023
Messages
6,008
Reaction score
2,440
Age
34
Country
Avatar
How would people rate this year in terms of new series and what is everyone’s thoughts on them?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'm at the point where if there is 1 series i really really like for that year, i consider it a successful year

2022 was Akane and Ruri Dragon
2023 was Kagurabachi, granted i'm still not as hype about this series as some people on here. Some of the things are still confusing, but for the most part it does its job
2024 is Ichi the Witch. Syd is shaping up to be enjoyable too.

So yeah another good year for me personally.
 

defensor_de_boruto

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2024
Messages
2,073
Reaction score
1,976
Age
23
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How would people rate this year in terms of new series and what is everyone’s thoughts on them?
I think the series from this year were really good, and we got a lot of potential series that can stay at the magazine for a while

hima-ten! Shinobigoto, Astro and Kiyoshi
 

monstera11

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
1,979
Reaction score
1,631
Age
36
Country
Australia
Anyway, i seriously do not think mangakas like Gotouge or Furudate will ever return. They had massive success with their manga. And correct me if I am wrong, they do not seem to release any mangas at all for years.

It is extremely hard to go back to creative grind after taking break for years. Especially something as intense as creating manga. Even if not weekly.

Very few mangakas return to the grind even after hits (e.g. Rumiko, Naoki Urasawa, or Hiromu Arakawa)
 

JBC008

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 17, 2023
Messages
6,008
Reaction score
2,440
Age
34
Country
Avatar
Here are my thoughts on the titles from this year. Note that this is going to be posted on Manga Crash’s video by the end of the month. So if anyone has anything to address, please let me know on my take. And since it will also have TrentinArt and Axelablaze I did use their names in that discussion cause that is how it will go.


-Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: My favorite gag title to ever be released recently. The major pros is that it isn’t really that repetitive in the gags. The characters are likable, but some can be cynical or creepy. My favorite characters are Ippongi, Copbot, Lily, and Haruka. Chojo kind of reminds me of Gin from Gintama somewhat, but with a mix of Kochikame due to them working with the police. And it is allowing the comedy to come naturally than just being forced or going low that it can’t be for all ages. I don’t know, maybe it is on the mature side for me a bit since it is dealing with older characters, but that’s just me. My favorite stories were the Chin Rangers (Super Sentai Parody), Haruka messing with Chojo’s mind with her imagination, and this Resident Evil parody when everyone becomes a zombie obsessed with Chojo. Now the only observation that I don’t know if it comes from the series (I don’t know if it is a flaw, negative, or a nitpick), but it felt that Numa had introduced way to many characters. I don’t know if this is how gag manga tend to be, but my only experience with this genre is from Dr. Slump and The Disastrous Life of Sakki K. And I felt that the introductions felt to quick that it was a way for Numa to not get stale really quickly. But at least the characters are good compared to Tokyo Demon Bride Story where we were rapid fire introduced to a lot of new characters that were intolerable and not as engaging, unlike how Chojo is. Also, the art is great for a gag series, and that helps a lot.



-Dear Anemone: When this was first announced, I honestly felt that this was being published in the wrong magazine. And it felt that the art was more of a focus than the story (somewhat), and especially the characters. Even the revival and reintroduction of characters didn’t make any sense. Even to the point that this was so bad that Rin Matsui nuked their Twitter account. And the real problem with this series was, it was boring. It lacked any personality with the characters that didn’t really have any focus or characteristics. But if you really want to see a story with personality done by this artist, I highly recommend (especially for TrentinArt) to check out their one-shot “Black Milk,” as that had way more personality and charm than what Anemone brought. If they come back they should do Black Milk.



-Astro Royale: Now I know that this series is popular due to what it brings and that it is coming from Wakui who came to Shueisha from Kodansha. But when it started in its earlier chapters, I wasn’t a fan at all. Not that it was bad, but it wasn’t delivering what I wanted in terms of tone. And when it did it was a bit of whiplash. Also I would say that Wakui is trying a bit too hard to get an emotion. Don’t get me wrong some backstories are good in terms of helping to flesh out the characters. But I genuinely think he is reeling it back a bit so that he can give the proper delivery. Also, with the art, it is amazing, but one thing I don’t like is when he draws his character with big open mouths. It is like they are trying out for Honeycomb Cereal commercial. And finally, my small gripe would have to be is that the fights aren’t long enough. As well as them not giving the weight that I was hoping that it would give. It was something I learned from a video from Studiobinder where it gave the importance of fights and used 3 lightsaber duels from the 3 Star Wars trilogies (which I preferred 2 of them) as a means to help give their impact on “why” they are memorable. I say why cause with fights there are 3 major aspects to make them memorable



1)Location

2)Rite of Passage

3)Relationship Between Combatants



For example, the fight in the recent arc would have to be a good location. And that it was trying to build that moment for Kinpa. And it did with her fight and I would not change anything about that. But I felt that the side fights were rather short and weak. But the one that could have been good was the fight between loyalists as Sou and Terasu were perfect for a type of fight like this on the similar principles but completely different ideologies. It could have been good to make the main fight more spectacular. But it only lasted for one chapter. That is my only gripe, I wish that the fights were longer so that the emotional weight can be stronger.



-Kyokuto Neceomance: Naba is back, and it shows that he hasn’t changed as much with the writing but only changed it to an exorcist manga. But the positive I can give is that the art looks more cleaner and has more polish in the character designs. I just think Naba returned way too soon as he needed more time to work on their writing skills. And I really wished they didn’t do an exorcist manga, as it has been over saturated over the years. It just honestly feels like a cash grab when doing this (that and the spy/assassin genre). Also, it almost feels like the way he writes almost feels as if they are trying to be very subtle to the point of it flying over my head when it comes to the “you know you know” stuff. It can almost feel like the characters are talking in riddles. And the one thing that was a missed opportunity was that our lead didn’t talk with his Shiro (is that what they were called again) where there could have been this banter or acknowledgement so that they can work together. Otherwise why ignore it when the other exorcists have their bonds already established?



-Psych House: Out of all the cancelled titles, this one I actually liked this year. I will say that the art is good, but rather weak as it does need more polish over time. It does have some fun characters, and the plot even though there wasn’t one as much, the idea of a slice of life X-Men series isn’t a bad idea at all. Though the controversy with the shoplifting thing in the beginning didn’t help at all. I would say I do want to see this artist again. But I need them to avoid any controversial choices from the start. But I also want them to do some story arcs so that it won’t feel very fillerish. But since this type of story was different for Jump, it was a risk to put it in here. But funny enough when in my chat forum asked who would cater this story too. Me and two others jump on it and said it was a story for us. And I guess that’s the problem, it didn’t know who this story was catering to. It could have been the type of writing that was close to RuriDragon in terms of being a Slice of Life story and it would have worked.



-Yokai Buster Murakami: This was the quickest series I dropped. The real problem is that their material in terms of coming up with comedy is really low, believing that repeating the same jokes would help keep it alive. This was the same problem that was apparent in Shugomaru and it is similar to what happened here. I really don’t have much to say since I dropped it after chapter 2 cause it was so low in the humor department for me.



-Ultimate Exorcist Kiyoshi: Now, with this one, I was about to write this off too due to how I feared how similar it would have been to Murakami. But after reading it, it was actually funny and well drawn. I think this has potential, but has to come up with well constructed arcs and characters to have a remote chance of surviving longer. But it did slow down a bit when it got to the exam arc as it went into that typical cliche arc we always see. Don’t get me wrong, I love exam and tournament arcs, especially with ones that has introduced well crafted characters and has intriguing rules. But I am glad it wrapped up quickly as it was running on fumes with a few characters that weren’t that interesting a bit. But the one thing I have heard that people compared this series to was Mashle. And well, yes, that is mostly true, there is a difference that separates this from Mashle. You see, with Mashle, the humor of that series stems on the humor revolving around Mash and everyone’s reaction to him. Also the side cast even if some have some interest, they are not that particularly strong when it comes to them helming the story when our lead (Mash) is taken out. Here in Kiyoshi, everyone in the story is more well defined that they can carry the story when the time comes for them to do so. Also with the Black Parade arc, if done well, can help springboard the series even higher.



-Hima-Ten!: I am a fan of the series. Probably in my top 5 of this year. What makes this series work for me are the characters. However my biggest worry is that it is taking a step back as this is retreading the same type of writing we would see in Ichigo 100%, Nisekoi, We Never Learn, ect. The fact that it is becoming a harem and that there is fan service was something that is my only gripe with the series. Where I said in my forum, “fan service to me feels rather cheap as it detracts from the emotional core to focus on the other aspects than in its character work.” I say that after reading Blue Box as I find that more progressive in terms of not needing fan service as a means of getting attention. Also, knowing that Ono really polished on their art is quite an improvement from their last series, “Full Drive.” I guess being an assistant to Shinohara and Miura really did help. Also their editor is Murakoshi who is also a huge blessing in terms of doing stories like this, since he launched Act-Age, Witch Watch, Blue Box, and Akane-banashi. So it helps that he is that well experienced in that field and he can help take it a long way if done right. So thank you TrentinArt for that video on Full Drive to help give me more context on Ono’s recent growth.



-Ichi the Witch: When this batch was coming out, I honestly said I hope that it would be a flop cause we had so many hits and I didn’t want it to be a risk. But then when I heard about Usazaki’s return, I had a complete 180 and hoped that it would survive to give her that second chance after what happened with Act-Age. But to learn that it is also written by a veteran in Nishi from Iruma-kun, I was surprised as I thought that was still running. And it is and to do 2 weekly serializations, that’s wild. Anyway, what are my thoughts on this series. Well at first when I heard the concept, I thought it would be Monster Hunter but with Magic. And I had to imagine a different writing style compared to how it was with Act-Age. But I was more surprised with how comedic Usazaki can make her series. I would say that she needs more time to work on her action pages cause there needs to be more dynamic and clarity, but overall, a good start. I also like the humor as it helps to get immersed and feel like you are part of the group. And it has a good message on hunting without overdoing it. And it is more interesting with the one male and two female grouping, as we have seen the one girl and two guys dynamic for many years. And the only time I can recall that Jump had a series that did a group dynamic this similar was Guardian of the Witch. No need to say anymore as we all know what happened. I am also ecstatic mainly due to the fact that we have a genuine fantasy adventure series which has really been dry for a while. And the last series to do this was Black Clover. So it helps to give that variety that I have been absolutely craving. Saito is starting this off on the right foot. And Ichi the main character really follows the typical Shonen formula in terms of characters that are well endearing like Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Asta, ect. I do have a bit of a crush on Kumugi as she is so funny, sweet, and endearing as she kind of serves as a vessel of us as the reader being put in those situations. I hope it gets serious in the story so we can break it up. But overall, a good start. Also, this is edited by Murakoshi as well. And this is a surprise as I felt that his experience with battle series was somewhat lacking (he did launch Burn the Witch but that technically doesn’t fully count as that was a limited run). So for him to do this, is a huge step for him and I hope he learns as he progresses.



-Shinobi Undercover: I was excited to see Usazaki return with Ichi the Witch. But I didn’t expect to also see the Candy Flurry duo return again, which I was excited for. At first I wanted Santa (to let people know that I will use their first names rather than their last names which I know is Japans customs, but I am using their first names cause they sound so much cooler to me) to return cause I did like their art, but felt uncertain about them cause even though I did find some parts of Candy Flurry funny, my biggest trouble was that they weren’t ready. But then when I saw their earlier one-shot with the Sword and the Stone concept before they did Candy Flurry and Ippon omitted their name, I was surprised cause I really felt it was that good. So Ippon did have the goods, but I take it was nerves and their inexperience as a newcomer. But with Shinobi Undercover, it was taking the strengths of their humor and really going all out with great tremendous focus on the characters and not being trapped by the intricacies of the world building from Candy Flurry (which was limiting). Also, the visual comedy really does sell and makes this more engaging to read. Nothing was short handed in terms of selling it. Also the action is way better here. However I will admit it does repeat in the kicking department and I am not the only one who saw that. But there is some variety in there so that is good. But this duo needs to start exploring more action poses and choreography to help give that variety. Also with the art, one criticism people said was that the heads were too big when their bodies were too slim like they were lollipops. But I think that Santa had figured out the proportions and are really good. I really do like the cast and I would not change anything about it. It really felt that Candy Flurry was their crawl so that Shinobi could run. I say that cause you can tell that they were uncertain as well as timid in their writing and art in the beginning. Now full of confidence, this could go a long way. Also Santa is making a name for themselves as recently they did the ending for the anime 365 to the Wedding. Really beautiful and wholesome. And as much as people complain about how simple and safe the color pages are. If you want to actually see safe, look at Candy Flurry Chapter 2’s color page as that is the definition of safe as we hardly see color on the MC. Here it feels confident on the color scheme of the characters, so that is a good thing. Also, since it is a ninja series it is import to work on deception and tricks (like in Naruto). And I think Ippon really kept that in mind as I did go back a couple of chapters where they were important and it made so much sense.



-HakuTaku: I was excited to read this as I got more into gaming lately. But unfortunately this has a lot of flaws. I really can’t put my finger on it, but I also think that our lead was bullied into it after escaping from another bullying issue, maybe that is the cause that didn’t resonate with the readers. Don’t get me wrong I get it, bullying is wrong, but I guess this is Ishikawa’s forum of comedy as I was aware of his writing style that they did in a one-shot for the GFC. And just to let TrentinArt know, yes he did partake in the GFC in the year Shindo of RuriDragon fame was in which I believe was 2017? Anyway also, the art has polished a bit, but the look of it reminds me of the 2000’s to early 2010’s a bit as it has a look that reminds me of Muhyo and Roji and Magico. Though totally different and not as distinct as it could be. I do like some of the ideas for some of the games, but a part of me wonders how much should it show the development and when should we get to the final product? It is a question that I ask cause when this is compared to Bakuman, it is about knowing how much should be shown so it doesn’t feel boring nor do we not see the process. I want to see them try again but they need to work on their craft a bit more. They know how to get to the heart, but it can feel rather sloppy.



-Syd Craft: Love is a Mystery: I won’t go that much into here. Mainly due to how new it is. But I would say, chapters 1 and 3 were good mostly due to the detective skills and mystery of them. The comedy is good cause of Tsutsui’s writing which came from We Never Learn. But with Chapter 2 it was a little far fetched for me with that clue and with Chapter 4 where it was nice that we got a new character and changed the pace a bit. But I will admit that I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t continue with seeing that stage play from Chapter 3 to build up to another case, but actually take a chance to start an arc. But I will admit seeing the background of all the characters so far really shows how much thought there was. But with the core main 3 (Syd, Elio, and Soufflé) I really like all of them. Even to see the irony that Syd has with them that Elio is his favorite author and that Soufflé is his childhood friend is great to work towards. But with this new character being a Phantom Thief, I do think having her is a good challenge but also a foil depending on how you look at it. I have seen tropes like this, but if anything, my main experience has been from the thief’s perspective like Lupin the Third and especially with a character like this in Kaito Saint Tail. A Magical Girl thief story where she robs from crooked corrupt people and returns them to their rightful owners. But also has a pursuer in Saint Tails crush and classmate in Askua Jr. I really do hope that this survives cause I have been dying for a good mystery detective series. But the real problem is that it has been episodic and needs a good story arc to help get it off the ground. It can’t just do what worked in the past with the romance antics it did in Tsutsui’s previous works, it needs to do more and needs to do that mystery angle a bit. Otherwise why not use it. But I have been saying and I will say it again. This is much better than i tell c, but I need it to take those risks.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Anyway, i seriously do not think mangakas like Gotouge or Furudate will ever return. They had massive success with their manga. And correct me if I am wrong, they do not seem to release any mangas at all for years.

It is extremely hard to go back to creative grind after taking break for years. Especially something as intense as creating manga. Even if not weekly.

Very few mangakas return to the grind even after hits (e.g. Rumiko, Naoki Urasawa, or Hiromu Arakawa)
Doesn’t Furudate come back every once in a while to work on that Study Jump series about a dog? I do think they will come back. I think that those 2 are taking those well deserved breaks and taking the time to work on their upcoming series. It’s not easy to just finish something without having the time to go and do something else without building the foundation. Then again, there are others who do leave Jump temporarily to work in other publications for easier conveniences in their schedules (like Akira Amano). It’s rare to see when someone finishes that they immediately go into something new. Which is what I have noticed lately with artists from Magazine and Sunday.
 

icrawfish

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2024
Messages
774
Reaction score
1,234
Age
25
Country
United States
How would people rate this year in terms of new series and what is everyone’s thoughts on them?
Well, seeing as this year was my first year, it's hard to compare it to any others, haha. I've had a good time with most of the new series; the worst feeling I got out of any of the series I read was "this chapter is mid" or "this part doesn't jive with me", but I didn't blatantly dislike any of the stories that came out. Of course, that also makes it hard to be decisive with what I want to stay longer in the magazine... I feel like since I walked in at a point where only new series were getting axed, and it feeling at first like only Kagurabachi survived among a whole cluster of new series, it made me think that other series were a lot more likely to die, but now that we're seeing a bigger cluster of series forming, and potentially 4 series leaving within the span of 1 year (MHA,JJK,MYF,UU) I could see a repeat of early 2021 happening, where 4 series all released within 20 chapters of each other manage to survive a while. Now while I think not much is getting axed soon besides Hakutaku, I don't think all of them are lasting 3+ years like the 2021 batch I just mentioned; but I could see at least 1 or 2 of them getting there, and certainly Kagurabachi being pushed to go for at least 3 if not several more years.

I'll make a quick list, actually:
Green Green Greens (technically 2023 but why not): made me wanna play golf, gave me good panels of people crying (mission accomplished)
Shadow Eliminators: Didn't read but I saw the final page when a friend pulled it up and it evoked emotion from me.
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: I didn't believe in it at first but came to enjoy it more over time.
Dear Anemone: Very impressed by visuals but the plot was as chaotic as the wildlife on the island.
Astro Royale: Wasn't super compelled when it started but I've been enjoying it more gradually over time as it builds.
Kyokuto Necromance: I knew it was dead from chapter 1 but I still enjoyed some of the beats and character dramas.
Psych House: Also had a feeling it was dead from chapter 1 and nothing much happened but I liked the relaxed vibes.
Yokai Buster Murakami: The art was unsettling to me, especially at first, but the first chapter was funny, and I came to enjoy the characters to a degree.
Ultimate Exorcist Kiyoshi: Feels kind of like "The Chosen One" but also on thin ice at the same time? Felt like the dichotomy of serious and goofy is both good and also throws first-time readers off a bit maybe? But I've enjoyed it for what it is.
Hima-Ten!: Not my go-to story if I had heard the pitch on paper, but most of the characters are fairly realistic and I appreciate the honesty of the main character.
Ichi the Witch: Yes I have Iruma bias. Regardless; very pretty, if selectively goofy at times, and fun concept. While it feels very open-ended I've not been disappointed too much by the content we've gotten. Looking forward to more.
Shinobi Undercover: It's growing on me bit by bit, at first I didn't like the face the MC made when he went serious, and some other characters' faces look a bit off at times, but there are some good beats as well.
Hakutaku: A fun idea, but the MC's eyes paired with what his mouth looks like terrify me half the time, and I don't think that's the objective. I do love Noto and how conceptually horrifying she is at all times though.
Syd Craft: An intriguing concept, feels very gag-of-the-week so far but it's super new so that's just how it is. Feels like it's teetering on the edge of being a harem whilst still not being one, but we'll see if Tsutsui's instincts take over again in that regard.
 

JBC008

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 17, 2023
Messages
6,008
Reaction score
2,440
Age
34
Country
Avatar
After what you said icrawfish, I really get where you are coming from with that statement. But we cannot forget about the 2020 titles as well as 5-7 titles lasted up to 2 years as well. And out of the 8 that remain, I like 5-6 of them. But I can only see 7 (maybe 6 until we get more of a standing with Syd) that can stay. And out of that 7, it is everything but HakuTaku.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Sounds like PR speak to me.
Not sure what the point of that would be given the context.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Anyway, i seriously do not think mangakas like Gotouge or Furudate will ever return. They had massive success with their manga. And correct me if I am wrong, they do not seem to release any mangas at all for years.

It is extremely hard to go back to creative grind after taking break for years. Especially something as intense as creating manga. Even if not weekly.

Very few mangakas return to the grind even after hits (e.g. Rumiko, Naoki Urasawa, or Hiromu Arakawa)
Bro what. Rumiko is literally still making manga in a weekly magazine (alibiet with hiatuses). Arakawa has two currently running series. Urasawa has one as well. Literally, why use them as examples if you didn't bother to Google it first?
Gotoge and Furudate are still young. Gotoge has openly talked about wanting to return. Sure, they made a lot of money. However, many mangaka don't get into the industry for money, they do so for passion. If they still have the passion they will return.

You're grasping at nothing, for a reason I can't quite ascertain.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It’s rare to see when someone finishes that they immediately go into something new. Which is what I have noticed lately with artists from Magazine and Sunday.
Probably wouldn't say rare as Mashima (fairy tail), Murata, Boichi, Yoshikawa Miki, Tanaka Yasuki, Takeshi Obata, to name a few have pretty continuously gone from one manga to another .

Feels rare for people to just leave manga industry entirely (phantom seer writer or naoshi komi)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top