Shounen Chainsaw Man by Tatsuki Fujimoto

Vali x lucifer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2021
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
5,630
Age
28
Country
Italy
Part 1 was obviously better but overall i enjoyed reading part 2 as well. I admit that's possibly because I never really had any expectations tbh, to me CSM always felt "complete" after part 1 so I took part 2 as a sort of bonus from the start.
 

NAMELESS

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2024
Messages
467
Reaction score
667
Country
Brazil
Part 1 was obviously better but overall i enjoyed reading part 2 as well. I admit that's possibly because I never really had any expectations tbh, to me CSM always felt "complete" after part 1 so I took part 2 as a sort of bonus from the start.
Same.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ngl, I'm sad as fuck right now.
 

Vali x lucifer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2021
Messages
2,543
Reaction score
5,630
Age
28
Country
Italy
Considering how suddenly the last 2 chapters wrapped things up i reckon it could have been way worse tbh
 

Aurelius

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 10, 2019
Messages
3,148
Reaction score
8,858
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yoru practically became the female lead, no closure. Death was built up as the ultimate threat, was eaten. And nothing on the prophecies
 

NAMELESS

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2024
Messages
467
Reaction score
667
Country
Brazil
Pochita returning as Denji's heart gives me hope for part 3. I hope part 3 actually happens.
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
Yoru practically became the female lead, no closure. Death was built up as the ultimate threat, was eaten. And nothing on the prophecies
World ended just as the prophecy said. Death being the great king of terror was just what the characters assumed. It was Chainsawman that fulfilled the prophecy by erasing death and that's why it had to go.
 

NAMELESS

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2024
Messages
467
Reaction score
667
Country
Brazil
World ended just as the prophecy said. Death being the great king of terror was just what the characters assumed. It was Chainsawman that fulfilled the prophecy by erasing death and that's why it had to go.
Yep, part 2 had good ideas and plots, but Fujimoto failed to deliver the hype. There isn't a single arc in part 2 that is as good as Reze's arc.
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
Yep, part 2 had good ideas and plots, but Fujimoto failed to deliver the hype. There isn't a single arc in part 2 that is as good as Reze's arc.
Part 1 is still a very self contained story with an amazing ending. I find the complaints on part 2 to be tiring when it seemed to be a meta take on Fujimoto's idea of a chainsawman sequel itself for a while now (in universe war between csm fans and people who want him to have a normal life, denji's inability to be satisfied with his happy "ending" in part 1 as long as he is still csm etc).
I don't think part 2 was supposed to be a "satisfying" sequel at all. It's nowhere near part 1 obviously but I'm not sad it exists. It was interesting enough and obviously it had a weird ass ending since this is Fujimoto we are talking about.
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,258
Reaction score
1,963
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Could you explain what the prophecies were? I remember something about the number of casualties for some day of the year (I think it happened and was due to Yoru).
 

Ebrietas-

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
399
Reaction score
705
Country
Turkey
Could you explain what the prophecies were? I remember something about the number of casualties for some day of the year (I think it happened and was due to Yoru).
That the great king of terror would use its power and destroy the world on July 1999. It happened when Pochita erased death and the whole world got eaten by mass reproducing insects. Anyone who thinks the prophecy plot was dropped is not paying any attention.

Death or War being the cause was a misdirection. It was every characters effort to try to erase them that made the prophecy come true and that's why Chainsawman had to go.
 
Last edited:

NAMELESS

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2024
Messages
467
Reaction score
667
Country
Brazil
The one thing I don't understand: How did Pochita eating himself turn back the timeline exactly?
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,258
Reaction score
1,963
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That the great king of terror would use its power and destroy the world on July 1999. It happened when Pochita erased death and the whole world got eaten by mass reproducing insects. Anyone who thinks the prophecy plot was dropped is not paying any attention.

Death or War being the cause was a misdirection. It was every characters effort to try to erase them that made the prophecy come true and that's why Chainsawman had to go.
I see. Indeed.

The one thing I don't understand: How did Pochita eating himself turn back the timeline exactly?
It is as if CSM never existed, and therefore, lots of stuff never happened as a consequence.
 

Karnak

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
410
Reaction score
637
Country
Dragonstone
I hope there is a part 3. The last 3 chapters seemed disjointed. I don't even know which devil ate Denji. It didn't even seem like an ending

It was nice to see Nayuta become a kid boss and Power returning! Denji became Ken Kaneki(Tokyo Ghoul) with just the eyepatch.
 

Franckie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
2,902
Reaction score
1,381
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Finally got around to finishing Part II. Outside of the epic Devil designs like the Falling and Aging Devils, Part II is an epic trainwreck. The narrative fell apart post-Falling Devil Arc and grew increasingly worse as the story dragged on, to the point the entire franchise became moot. Fujimoto royally screwed his own series over when he switched the narrative focus from Asa and Yoru to Denji and jettisoned all the development Denji back in Part I, for reasons that are not particularly clear to me. Furthermore, it feels like the author dropped a considerable amount of material as the final arc felt rushed and disjointed.

Denji and everyone else being alive in the current timeline is a massive plot hole given the developments we had in Part I (e.g., four alternatives to death after a person dies), but given the sorry state of the story, I'd wager Fujimoto simply magically waved these problems away. I was also surprised with the insinuation that Power, and not Reze, is Denji's soulmate.
 

Wookitake

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2013
Messages
2,258
Reaction score
1,963
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Denji and everyone else being alive in the current timeline is a massive plot hole given the developments we had in Part I (e.g., four alternatives to death after a person dies)
There are lots of elements that were left out, some really intriguing ones. If CSM never was, then some Devils/Things that Makima mentioned (Forgotten Devils) should be out in the open, right? The horrors.
 

lexx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
803
Reaction score
520
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
I'm disappointed Chainsawman never got a second arc.
Just like how I wish Westworld got a second season.
Or how I wish Game Thrones wasn't cancelled after Season 4.
It's also really too bad that One-Punch Man was never renewed after Season 2 I was really looking forward to the Garou arc being animated.

I kid, I kid, but let's just all agree that the 1st arc, while uneven, was quite memorable in its portrayal of grooming. NO ONE tells stories about women grooming boys, so this title was quite something.
 
Top