All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread 2007

Uozumi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
2
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

A lot of this discussion started over the three win rule. Someone won three times and didn't want to go play with the big wigs.

Is it that the system is broken or we're responding to one person who thought three sweeps wasn't enough?

Upon reflection, what we're doing does work. What is probably needed is just a way to keep straight who is posting where. Everyone must understand and accept the rules and accept the fact that if you win three times it shows there is confidence in your ability that you can move on and challenge yourself to become even better.
 

twojastara

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

i know i have the skills, well much better than the amateur level but maybe not as good as the advanced

maybe a medium level contest wouldn't be that bad

after my finals end i'll have much more time, so i think i'll be able to do something advanced

it's enough to tell a friend which one is yours

maybe if the modes chose one pic to colour fo each week, this would eliminate votes given only because someone likes te manga
it would be quite boring, though

eeh i guess all we can do is just 'apprieciate the participating' cause like mothers always say it's not about who wins, it's about the fan of taking part
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Votes should be IP-logged, and one vote per IP/account... two accounts can't vote from the same IP; I think Gamefaqs has their polls set up that way.

@Orthrider: Nice pic in the 20-21 contest.. it's awesome!

and what if the user has a dynamic IP ?? like I ave for example :) .... the WAN(world area network) miniport is PPPoE(point-to-point Protocol over Ethernet ~PPPoE is a network protocol for encapsulating PPP frames in Ethernet frames) type which allows a dynamic use of IP addresses .... meaning dynamic IP ...meaning my IP changes from 10 to 20 minutes every day :) ....sssooo what you said about votes being IP-logged doesn't work.(or at least that's what I think from what I learned)
 

chvis002

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2006
Messages
305
Reaction score
12
Gender
Hidden
Country
Sweden
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Man, voting for this weeks amature was though. A lot of good entrences (some that should be advance imho) :thumbs
 

TechnoMagus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
1,970
Reaction score
27
Gender
Hidden
Country
Antarctica
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

and what if the user has a dynamic IP ?? like I ave for example :) .... the WAN(world area network) miniport is PPPoE(point-to-point Protocol over Ethernet ~PPPoE is a network protocol for encapsulating PPP frames in Ethernet frames) type which allows a dynamic use of IP addresses .... meaning dynamic IP ...meaning my IP changes from 10 to 20 minutes every day :) ....sssooo what you said about votes being IP-logged doesn't work.(or at least that's what I think from what I learned)
Whoa!!!! i knew that but i doubt everyone else knows that too! :p so that's why it's a bit unfeasible for the ip logging suggestion. besides, we need the admins to monitor the REAL troublemakers... :D

Man, voting for this weeks amature was though. A lot of good entrences (some that should be advance imho) :thumbs
that's why we need everyones help to vote them out of the amateur category for good! :xp
 

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
393
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

if IP logging doesn't work:

-Set a cookie onto the user's computer with a boolean value as to whether they've voted or not; store the same cookie for the user on the main server so when they log back on, the cookie is reset onto their account (if they deleted it... crafty bastards)
-Designate judges for the art competitions, since free-vote creates a lot of bias (for example, just the names "dynamic dragon" or "vhea" get quick votes; and anyone who colors Naruto gets more votes than people who color other manga)
-Create a 72 hour activity requirement for voting (as in the account must be at least 3 days old)
-Create a client-side validation script which designates a unique ID for a user to allow them to vote, and validate that ID server-side; designate a new encryption algorithm with each new vote and require a small download every time someone is to vote (the client-side validation could probably be done in a JAVA applet and the ID should be generated on something static.. is MAC address static?)

Just some ideas... most of them are quite complicated.. :D
 

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work over just a coloring contest. It also sounds like it would become quite a hassle to vote.
I would rather see more people voting than scare away the few that do, by adding too many steps.
(NEVER underestimate the laziness of internet users!!!!)


And I agree with chvis, the entries in the amateur contest where overwhelming once again this week. But I am glad to see more talent and if our artists simply lack the confidence to compete at a level (IMHO) that more accurately reflects their skill level. Then i would rather have them continue in the amateur than quit all together. We really should be encouraging them and appreciating their work rather than trying to tell them where they can and cannot post their work. I am not saying we should ignore the rules but maybe us commoners can back off a little and let the mods decide if any action should be taken.
 

TechnoMagus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
1,970
Reaction score
27
Gender
Hidden
Country
Antarctica
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

if IP logging doesn't work:

-Set a cookie onto the user's computer with a boolean value as to whether they've voted or not; store the same cookie for the user on the main server so when they log back on, the cookie is reset onto their account (if they deleted it... crafty bastards)
-Designate judges for the art competitions, since free-vote creates a lot of bias (for example, just the names "dynamic dragon" or "vhea" get quick votes; and anyone who colors Naruto gets more votes than people who color other manga)
-Create a 72 hour activity requirement for voting (as in the account must be at least 3 days old)
-Create a client-side validation script which designates a unique ID for a user to allow them to vote, and validate that ID server-side; designate a new encryption algorithm with each new vote and require a small download every time someone is to vote (the client-side validation could probably be done in a JAVA applet and the ID should be generated on something static.. is MAC address static?)

Just some ideas... most of them are quite complicated.. :D
:eek :eek :eek
if i may add, why not put additional biometrics like fingerprints, retinal scan, head, size, customized pin, voice fingerprint, thermal fingerprint and a registered DNA database. and this should be implemented in assembly and interfaced with hardware on an embedded systems platform and have a 1 megabit aes gpg key length hashed with sha-1 megabit while you're at it! !

seriously we're going overboard here.... ;)

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work over just a coloring contest. It also sounds like it would become quite a hassle to vote.
I would rather see more people voting than scare away the few that do, by adding too many steps.
(NEVER underestimate the laziness of internet users!!!!)
QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!!


And I agree with chvis, the entries in the amateur contest where overwhelming once again this week. But I am glad to see more talent and if our artists simply lack the confidence to compete at a level (IMHO) that more accurately reflects their skill level. Then i would rather have them continue in the amateur than quit all together. We really should be encouraging them and appreciating their work rather than trying to tell them where they can and cannot post their work. I am not saying we should ignore the rules but maybe us commoners can back off a little and let the mods decide if any action should be taken.
i've also noticed this past trend. the bar for an amateur has certainly gone a little higher with more participants.
don't worry, as you vote them out of amateur, by th time it happens, the underdogs of today will become the stars of tomorrow... :D
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

@TechnoMagus what's unfeasible?
@abu_89 i have the impression you're trying to hard to stand out ...don't you think this is a bit too much for just a simple contest? are there prizes in money that it's so important who wins or not? as I said the first time winning doesn't count ...if you lost to someone inferior to you because that someone had more accounts(and voted for him/herself) or lots of friends who voted for him/her than just work harder to improve and then they'll definitely vote for you if you do something great. I don't effing care about this shit ...if I was to actually win something I needed then I'd work hard to show people I really deserve it and then I'd make fuss about the winner if he/she didn't deserve it ....
@kiddo7 now there's common sense for ya! I like how you expressed you opinion and I agree with you :)
lol TMagus ahahahahah you cracked me up with that idea :XD let's try that.
Well at least this thread is alive and even though we're quarreling ...we're communicating :XD I like that :D
but anyway I have a simple suggestion .....it's simple ... If an user thinks he/she is not ready for the advanced category and others want him/her out just because he/she won 3 times already , then why not require a bigger number of wins ...like 5 for example , that's reasonable enough and it would make people work harder to improve so they can win :P
That's just my opinion to simple things up and end a silly and insignificant quarrel ^_^
 
Last edited:

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

miranu said:
Dun worry my next Entry will be Blue Dragon.. my favourite page XD boobgroping rulz >3
I don't know how you will color that, miranu, but you have my vote on that xD

<hmm so the discussion was on: voting for colored page which somebody like hmm... I don't suggest anything ;p <half-joke>
 

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
393
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

@sakura: or maybe I just like making random suggestion that require people to program complex algorithms... :D
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

riiiight :)
btw very off topic I like your "proving 1=2 wrong" signature's theory XD


ummm I got a question (for those who know some of my art).If I want to participate in the "Manga coloring of the week" contests where should I post in the amateur or advanced ?

btw I LOVE THE DRAWING YOU CHOOSE IAAANNN!!!!!!!!!! can anyone compete with that one???? you should have put the same drawing for the colored contest cuz I love the colored version so muchhhh
 
Last edited:

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

@TechnoMagus what's unfeasible?
but anyway I have a simple suggestion .....it's simple ... If an user thinks he/she is not ready for the advanced category and others want him/her out just because he/she won 3 times already , then why not require a bigger number of wins ...like 5 for example , that's reasonable enough and it would make people work harder to improve so they can win :P
That's just my opinion to simple things up and end a silly and insignificant quarrel ^_^
I like this Idea, we could extend it a little. Say, have a range from 4 - 6. 4 being the minimum wins required to count as advanced and 6 being the deadline for the artist to realize his/her own skill. Well what do you think?

BTW, SA
I think you should be able to compete with the advanced on your better days. Your realism Sakura portrait was quite stunning I must say.
 
Last edited:

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

I like this Idea, we could extend it a little. Say, have a range from 4 - 6. 4 being the minimum wins required to count as advanced and 6 being the deadline for the artist to realize his/her own skill. Well what do you think?

BTW, SA
I think you should be able to compete with the advanced on your better days. Your realism Sakura portrait was quite stunning I must say.
Yes ,yes I think it's a great idea 4minimum and 6 maximum wins :) let's see if all the mods agree :)
:gigglebunny Thank you! I'm glad you liked it:occa(It was the first time I tried a realism style :XD both in coloring and in drawing ^_^):squish
 

Silhouette

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
1,222
Reaction score
48
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

The fanart contest has a many cool ideas and awesome colors...a bunch of highly talented people, it will be verrrrry hard to decide when it's time for voting

Respect to every single participant in the fanart
 

Baka Taichou

MH Tsundere Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
5,687
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

:wtf amperx I love your Ichigo Pic!!!!!! *goest to fav it :confetti :worship2
and OMG DanaArena did SAAAIIIII!!!!! :drool :gigglebunny *goes to fav that too*
 
Last edited:

Uozumi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
331
Reaction score
2
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

I totally second that. Master X you have mad skills.
 

miranu

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
253
Reaction score
61
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Yeah :D But man ya should post it to advanced lol.. Chances of winning are 90%+ at least now
 

TechnoMagus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
1,970
Reaction score
27
Gender
Hidden
Country
Antarctica
Re: All-Purpose Contest Discussion Thread!

Yeah :D But man ya should post it to advanced lol.. Chances of winning are 90%+ at least now
done! come on people! we need more advanced entries! it's not fair for a two entry fight! if no one else posts, we might have to consider moving more entries to the advanced.
 
Top