All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

My character was itachi executing amaterasu . . .
Hard sig and needs time too :S not easy to create black flames with photoshop and make them look like flames not some rubbish brush job <.<
I'm starting to lose hope in this idea but we still have time
You should stick with this idea if you can, I wanted to do it, but also realized it would be really tricky after looking at some panels, you're a far better sig artist than I, so I'm sure you can pull it off. Even, if you chose not to sumbit it, please show us! Itachi is my favourite Naruto character!
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

My character was itachi executing amaterasu . . .
Hard sig and needs time too :S not easy to create black flames with photoshop and make them look like flames not some rubbish brush job <.<
I'm starting to lose hope in this idea but we still have time
That's an awesome idea! The black flames would look sick if you can apply the right effects. I don't think using the brush tools would help make the flames standout or look more natural.

You have two weeks lol. I agree with DeBaron8; I think you should try and work with it for the time being. :)

I think it's safer to say what are you going to make lol. If you post it, no one will try something similar xD But again, if you do, you will ruin the surprise.
Amaterasu and Katon jutsus are popular crap :S
I will probably make a Natsu Dragneel sig.
That's the problem! I want it to be a surprise. :grin

Even, if you chose not to sumbit it, please show us! Itachi is my favourite Naruto character!
+1​
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Shin Akuma - Btw, I just looked at your sig page. I always loved that Itachi sig, I never knew it was made by you. Great work! I love how his head is above the rest of the sig.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I have a cool idea for the theme, but takes a lot of time just trying to get the flame effect with the image... I think I'm pretty safe in terms of character choice though. Unless of course people are thinking the same thing and are feeling nostalgic about this Fire theme.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

It's easy to make normal flames but black ones need alot of work :S
here's a test signature:


@ DeBaron8: thank you :) and I will try to make the amaterasu signature for the sake of challenge not for the contest itself :P
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

That's a pretty awesome sig, Shin! :blink

The fire-effect looks really good. It's just getting the right balance of colours around the fire/flames that's the key part in making it stand out imho. Too much use of dark colours can weaken it. :amuse
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

That's a pretty awesome sig, Shin! :blink

The fire-effect looks really good. It's just getting the right balance of colours around the fire/flames that's the key part in making it stand out imho. Too much use of dark colours can weaken it. :amuse
Thanks Buggy.
Yes it's about the intensity of the red color.
You should be careful how you smudge the top layer of the flames or you will end up with bad results...
Anyway, I am too sleepy to do anything now :S I will just go watch something until I fall asleep. I will post something soon though :D Good luck everyone.


When I started working on this, I imagined an awesome sig but it turned out to be like this:

Black flames are goddamn annoying...
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

It's looking awesome. I understand the difficulty you're experiencing with the black flames-effect. Hmm. Maybe, there's a few tutorials online somewhere that could help you? :blink I'll see if I can find any cool tutorials that could be of some use/help to you. :thumbs

Right now it looks more like black smoke than flames lol. It's quite a tricky technique to get right.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

It's looking awesome. I understand the difficulty you're experiencing with the black flames-effect. Hmm. Maybe, there's a few tutorials online somewhere that could help you? :blink I'll see if I can find any cool tutorials that could be of some use/help to you. :thumbs

Right now it looks more like black smoke than flames lol. It's quite a tricky technique to get right.
Fire tutorials treat normal fire.
It's a way of mixing yellow, orange and red.
But for black flames, you have only gray and black :S It's hard and boring... maybe I will give it another try later ^^
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Shin, I really like that Itachi sig, the black fllmes look really good. I think they are very hard to draw, and you've done a great job. I noticed that in the manga they appear to look more like tribal flame designs than actual flames, not sure why, but you could try something like that.

The only part of the sig that IMO does not look great is the render of Itachi, it seems to just sit a top the flames, I like it better when you make them blend together more or when there is some lighting effect to make it more dynamic. Otherwise all the other elements are great! Especially the text and sharingan.
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Shin, I really like that Itachi sig, the black fllmes look really good. I think they are very hard to draw, and you've done a great job. I noticed that in the manga they appear to look more like tribal flame designs than actual flames, not sure why, but you could try something like that.

The only part of the sig that IMO does not look great is the render of Itachi, it seems to just sit a top the flames, I like it better when you make them blend together more or when there is some lighting effect to make it more dynamic. Otherwise all the other elements are great! Especially the text and sharingan.
IMO, I prefer drawing actual flames not like the ones kishi uses when he draws the manga (they look odd).
As for the render standing out, I found it really hard to blend itachi with the black flames since his wearing a black coat. It looked as if there's only the red clouds and his face oO
Anyway... I tried it out and it didn't turn out to be so bad after all ^^
Thanks alot for your comment and critics.
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

IMO, I prefer drawing actual flames not like the ones kishi uses when he draws the manga (they look odd).
As for the render standing out, I found it really hard to blend itachi with the black flames since his wearing a black coat. It looked as if there's only the red clouds and his face oO
Anyway... I tried it out and it didn't turn out to be so bad after all ^^
Thanks alot for your comment and critics.
No problem, I actually like your realistic flames better too. Kishi's do look kinda weird.


I got to start my sig today after all, my computer miraclously started working again, must have been a software problem :facepalm

It's funs playing with fire, I just added some sparks.
 
Last edited:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Hmm :) I am like a bee today ^^ I finally finished this one :



I think it's way better than the first lol. I'm quite satisfied :P black flames are tough to deal with. Anyway, I will decide later wether U'm going to post this in the submission thread or just go and make the Natsu one. I hope you giuys like it !


OMG that stupid wireframe is standing out too much :S gah ... gotta do something about it <.< too bad we cant edit our posts in this thread ....
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Woah! Very different compared to the first one lol. Definitely more an improvement. I think it's a bit too congested though; especially since you've downsized the overall sig size/measurements. I don't think you should use that spider-web like effect over the whole sig at the very least lol. You should only use it on the lower ends of the sig.

I still think the focus of your sig should be 1) Itachi and the black flames on the right hand side and 2) the amaterasu eye on the left. :) You can use smoke/flames and other patterns to "smudge" in the two sides together. I'm not making much sense am I. XD! :sweat
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

ARGH. this is it. I'm not going to make any more amaterasu sigs :S

 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

That's fricking awesome, Shin! :onoz

ahahaha amaterasu is a pain, huh? :p You could at least add a bit more white colour/patter to the right hand side imo. That would complete the sig and balance it out. Nevertheless, you've done a superb job. :)

*I hate the fact you can't edit your posts in this thread as well. I hate it when I have typo errors and I can't do anything about them. ><*
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Very nice sig once again! I love how everything fits together so seemlessly, especially the two renders. It's so awesome!!! I just love the bleeding MS in the middle and what a great color pallette for Itachi! It really suits him. IMO, this sig will be hard to beat.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I saw a picture of Ichigo and strangely thought of Phoenix... so i was playing around and well...



 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ kakashi919: Nice work man.
The fire effect is so good ;) I bet you had some fun there messing around with flames ^^
I have an observation to make: I think you did a mistake while resizing the image/render.
In order to keep the height and width of the image relatively balanced as the original image, you should hold shift while resizing :)
Or maybe the image you used came like that.
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ kakashi919: Nice work man.
The fire effect is so good ;) I bet you had some fun there messing around with flames ^^
I have an observation to make: I think you did a mistake while resizing the image/render.
In order to keep the height and width of the image relatively balanced as the original image, you should hold shift while resizing :)
Or maybe the image you used came like that.
Yeah it was fun. Seriously, when i saw how to get the effect i was amazed really.About the render, yeah i didn't, that's probably why most of the time i resized the renders they looked odd >_> Thanks for the feedback :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top