All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Sorry for being late, Congrats Shinsatsu~ and another nice Sig for the wings theme... I cant decide whether to jump on the bandwagon an do a literal wings sig or do something slightly more creative with the word
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ kakashi919 - I really like your wing-themed sig. Great submission. Although, I think you've overused the colour blue lol. It gives the overall sig a different mood/impression. I personally prefer your alternative version below:


It doesn't really matter which one you end up using as your final submission imo. I think you've come up with a very cool idea. :)

@ darkdana666 - Hi and welcome to the sig contest! I hope this isn't just a one-off submission. Your sig looks really good. I hope to see more of your work/submissions in the future. ^^
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Bugzee - You're not the only one it seems lol. I guess i liked how the wings turned out in the blue version... It looked really cool while i was trying different things with the sig. Thought that the blue transparent wings were kind of pretty lol.

Thanks for all the feed back from everyone, it means a lot... I'm happy that I'm finally improving :D


Oh

@darkdana666 - Love the painting style of your submission. IMO though, the left side looks a bit overdone. Still though, I love the style :D Good luck.
 
Last edited:

darkdana666

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2007
Messages
238
Reaction score
183
Gender
Female
Country
Serbia
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Bugzee & kakashi919 Thanks guys! :D I appreciate the comments!
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Oops I'm damn late, congraz shin :D

Damn can't help it but the Griffith sig I made looks cheap. I think it has this very slight feeling which can ruin a concept gravely. It's not like I spent any time on a concept anyways to begin with, nor did I work a long time on it - started and finished tomorrow morning.




Today in the morning I mean, once again I'm writing ahead of myself :P
(a forum without edit button is so nightmarish to me :D)
 
Last edited:

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
4,777
Reaction score
2,840
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

While you are all working on your sigs, I hope you don't forget the Special MH B-day Header Contest. I'm sure you all could easily take all of your sig making talents and parlay them into making a Header for MH's 5th birthday. The top three entries will have their headers shown over a three week period ( that is if we actually get some submissions... right now we have none :( )

/end of shameless plug :D
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

:confetti Congrats on the Victory Shin!!! :confetti

It was another well deserved win. :D

@darkdana666- Welcome to the contest! :) It's always great to have new participants. I really like your wings entry, it has nice lighting and a very suiting color palette. Great work!

I hope I will finish my sig for the wings contest. I decided to color the render myself, and that always takes me forever, so now I only have a short time to make a sig. :darn My idea isn't very good for the theme, but the render was too amazing not to color, so I figured I'd put it to use in a sig. Will try to post a draft sometime today.


Here's what I have thus far, I must say it's one of my worst sigs. :( I might totally redo it when I get home. In comparison to my desktop, my laptop lacks certain programs, features, and a decent screen. Which always seems to result in bad ideas and effects.

I put it in spoiler tags since it's from last weeks chapter of One Piece.:D

 
Last edited:

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Welcome to the contest, darkdana666! :hbunny
Your submission looks beautiful like a painting. Marvel Comics has some really great artists. I would have thought that was a piece from a museum! :XD Good selection and an excellent first submission! I hope that you will continue to participate in the contests. ;)

I am a little sad to see that there are only two submissions with the contest about to close in a few days. :worrybunny Because of this (and because I should have my computer problems fixed by the beginning of next week :sweatdrop), I am extending the deadline for the wings-theme contest by one week. Hopefully this should give some of you perfectionists enough time to finish your masterpieces in time for the deadline. :tem
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Lol thanks, Tsukisama, I thought I was trippin' till I read your post, I was like "Wait, the 23rd?"

Anyways
Hows this?
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Why Coffee? Why? That looks so awesome. :scry
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@Cofee - Wow looks awesome! I like the colors and the bees(?) Though the render looks disturbing...character wise lol
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

hahaha, I had tons of renders set aside for this theme and I was having a hard time choosing If I wanted to do a character with literal wings, or if I wanted to use the theme as someone extremely smart or fast, or I even had two that I could probably tie in with a Fate type theme, I picked that render because of A. I felt like if I didn't do literal wings that people might not get it, and B. it had a different feel/direction to it than I felt everyone else was going (the fluffy type wings).


and yes, I was trying to get those to look like Bees and Butterflies, albeit that it didnt start out that way XD
 
Last edited:

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Coffee - Wow!!! That's one beautiful sig! Your sigs always look so clean, I need to learn how to do that. The colors are so bright and pretty. I also like how you went with a different type of wings. Great work as always.:D

So I got on my destop and was like, wow my sig looks like throw-up. -_-; Don't now why I tried to mix pinkish-red and green.:s I deleted that disaster.

Anyway, I didn't spend much time on this new sig, but I attempted to fix the first concept. It definitely looks better, yet I should have spent more time on it. It looks kinda messy. Despite this it may be my entry, since I really need to do school work.:darn



Btw, does this sig look really dark? It's looks very different on all my monitors, one light, one dark, and one in the middle. So I don't know what others are seeing.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I think it looks pretty good, the wings have a good texture to them, though I think the color etc etc balance between the background/wings and the render could be tweaked slightly. (You might be able to find a tutorial on using Selective Color or Gradient Maps) But I think the sig looks pretty good~

And it does look semi dark, but that really all does depend on your monitor settings as well... If I looked at it on my desktop right now, I probably couldnt see the wings at all, but it looks fine on my laptop


and the main reasons for mine looking so clean is that I A. usually use really clean cut and highly detailed renders or render the image myself and B. I keep everything in separate layers


I did this sig for a friend and I used the same technique (nearly) for the 'Different'


aaaaaaand im the only one talking again~ Nobody has any constructive criticisms for my Wings Sig?
 
Last edited:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@~Coffee~:
Nice signature and good idea. I like the colors.
There are though two things that I don't like. The border is kinda weird :S (that's my personal opinion), and the text stands out too much because it was placed in that spot.
Have fun and work hard :D ...

(University sux big time).
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

ok thanks for the for the advice, the border was my attempt in trying to, again, do something different than usual. I tried to copy the type of honey-comb pattern that is around the character there in the border, but I couldnt get it to turn out quite right, due to the very tiny size of work area. So I tried to give it the illusion of it having that type of pattern instead.

and I like placing the text according to the rule of thirds =
 

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
1,176
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

so, the first one that are not wings "with feathers" or however I could put it...
I really liked your sig, coffee... the colors are really well balanced and the contrast works just fine n_n

Too bad I can't actually see much of the details on the sigs... My video card went crazy so I'm using the video onboard (and it really sucks @__@)
but I can distinguish the elements of your sig perfectly, debaron... It's dark but that contributes to the concept (and zoro is my favorite one piece caracter XD)

great entries, people... keep up the good work :]
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

What about your entry, nanaD? Come on! :O
 

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
1,176
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

well, I just took off my video card so I could actually see something on screen... almost a week without using my computer @__@
(I use it for work also, so it was really terrible)
I was so annoyed (and a little lazy) with this hardware problem... but I'll try making it in the weekend... I have something in mind already... I think I'll use a picture for this, so I won't spend that much time in front of the monitor...

and I have a question... did anyone ever submitted an animated sig? I mean, is a gif allowed, as long as it isn't bigger than 300kb? (I think that's the maximum)
 

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Everyone seems to have hardware problems :) Computers are so unreliable.

I'm really not sure about the wings signature I made... Maybe I'll just give up this time :S but who knows, since the periode has been extended, I may be able to come up with something worth submitting.

P.S: I was also having router problems and the SOB who was supposed to "fix" it, was a complete MORON ... He tried to act cool and pretend that he's working on it :S (yeah like right cliking "my computer" and then "propreties"...). They think that all people are stupid walking corpses... He didn't know that I study computer sience and that I never call for their damn help unless it's a hardware problem... which means that something MUST BE REPLACED... I could've killed him with the spoon I had in my hand.

Ehhhh... I think I said too much, sorry, but I really needed to say this (I feel better now).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top