All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2008-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

It doesn't seem like much Christmas spirit is in here. :notrust I have been watching the poll on the light contest all week, and most of the votes came in the first part of the week. I like to save my vote until near the end of the poll and was the only one to vote yesterday. If the character in that render is from an anime series, then it must not be a very popular one because I don't recognize it.

People vote for whatever reasons they choose, but none of the excuses offered seem to apply in the case of this victory. It is not very magnanimous to congratulate someone in this manner. ~Coffee~ won and that deserves a polite "well done" without the "...but..."

Remember the golden rule: if you do not have something nice to say, you should strongly consider whether you should express that opinion.

Also, the good contest shall be extended by a week. So, Rofl, you should be able to participate, right? ;)


Oh and thank you for believing in my writing skills! You're all too kind! :XD :lovebunny
 
Last edited:

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I've grown so accustomed to Gimp, I can't remember anything about photoshop :oh Can't remember where any of the tools are :XD

Hopefully I'll have a great idea before time is up :tem

Good luck all
 

DeBaron8

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2010
Messages
551
Reaction score
571
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Happy Holidays Everyone!!! Hope your having fun and have time off from school or work!​
:cheerbunny Congrats on the win Coffee!!! IMO, another beautiful sig and well derserved win! :confetti​

@kakashi - I have the save problem with PS, but still use it for certain things, though with most stuff I find GIMP faster, becasue of the HUD layout.

@Tsukisama - I also like the idea of trying to do something with the same render, though I don't think just any render would work. It would have to be high quality and from a series everyone is familiar with so we could each do something unique with it in both design and inspiration. I think that way we can imagine a theme for the render, rather than choosing a render for a theme. I think it could be a good idea for something different. :)

@Coffee - I'm also not sure what your or my render came from for the light contest. I don't think people usually vote entirely based on some anime/manga render they've seen before, I think they do judge individual sigs based on their own merits. IMO, yours was clearly the best looking sig this week, it won because of this and not because of whatever the render was from. I do agree that this is not always the case though, I seriously think One Piece sigs seem to get more votes than others, like my Zoro sig from a while back, it got a ton of votes even though it was pretty weak. This week you also got more votes than the usual winners because we only had four entries, the same number of people voted, we just needed more sigs...

@Shin - I also agree with your point that non-manga related sigs, or things that are clearly not from a manga or anime tend to get less votes even when they're very nice.

@Bugzee - I'm glad that you think I'm improving, because I feel like I just keep using the same techniques, just in slightly different combinations. Where I've really improved is my colorings, which this conpetition has helped because now I'm better with the software.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I've grown so accustomed to Gimp, I can't remember anything about photoshop Can't remember where any of the tools are
- LOL, Ive only used photoshop for the longest time, so using something else would be confusing for me as well~

- Though there is one thing that I dont understand about photoshop and that is the whole Gif system... in the earlier versions (Around CS2) you would export your image into a different program (ImageReady) to do the animation. *This was a pain, because it was difficult to edit anything in ImageReady, so you would have to export it back to photoshop if you found anything that needed to be changed.*
- and if you wanted you could keep the resulting Gif's quality decently High~

Nowadays you can do it all directly inside Photoshop, but no matter the settings *(that I know of)* you set your animations to, it butchers any gradient in the image... T_T

Ive also played around with 3D animations inside photoshop (yes I know....) and its pretty cool, (besides the fact that I cant seem to get anything to rotate more than 220 degrees without it doubling back)
 

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,115
Reaction score
1,176
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Coffee... congratulations n_n

I think that in the process of choosing one sig to vote, people just consider the one they would like to actually use... that's way lots of people probably vote for their favorite characters or series... and of course the aesthetics count too...

The idea of having one render only for everyone to use is good... even though I like to do everything on my signatures (from sketches to drawings, pictures,...), it would be a challenge, also it would be really interesting to see the different results :]

I used gimp in college because they wouldn't buy photoshop for us to use... stupid bureaucracy... but it's a really good program in my opinion... just illustrator and indesign I would never change for another one Ç_Ç


I submitted mine already because I don't know if I'll have more time to work on it... more desserts to do for new year's eve and I'll be dealing with the procedures to get my diploma... so I'll be kind of busy...

also... Happy Holidays to everyone \o\~~~
 
Last edited:

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Coffee... congratulations n_n

I think that in the process of choosing one sig to vote, people just consider the one they would like to actually use... that's way lots of people probably vote for their favorite characters or series... and of course the aesthetics count too...

The idea of having one render only for everyone to use is good... even though I like to do everything on my signatures (from sketches to drawings, pictures,...), it would be a challenge, also it would be really interesting to see the different results :]

I used gimp in college because they wouldn't buy photoshop for us to use... stupid bureaucracy... but it's a really good program in my opinion... just illustrator and indesign I would never change for another one Ç_Ç
<hr noshade size="1">
I submitted mine already because I don't know if I'll have more time to work on it... more desserts to do for new year's eve and I'll be dealing with the procedures to get my diploma... so I'll be kind of busy...

also... Happy Holidays to everyone \o\~~~
Honestly, after using gimp, compared to photoshop.... Gimp is a lot easier to use when you get used to it... but photoshop is a lot simpler for beginners IMO.

@Nana - The style of art you use is really different from everyone else....I know it's original, but I think it's great to use that style other than anime/manga renders.

Oh yea, Merry Christmas and Happy new year to everyone! It's a bit late, but better late than never, right? :XD
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Honestly, after using gimp, compared to photoshop.... Gimp is a lot easier to use when you get used to it... but photoshop is a lot simpler for beginners IMO
- I would have said the other way around with Gimp being simple~ - But I've only looked at Gimp one time, lol~
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

If you choose something unpopular as the base of your signature, you won't get votes :P... So, if the signature is not manga-oriented, you will have less chances of winning a signature contest in a manga community ^^
That's not always the case. I wouldn't say One Piece is unpopular.

So true shin, you're point was proved with that nice One Piece sig a while back that pulled in twice as many votes on itself than the entire group usually does~
Marco is a character from OP...just sayin' :p

People vote for whatever reasons they choose, but none of the excuses offered seem to apply in the case of this victory. It is not very magnanimous to congratulate someone in this manner. ~Coffee~ won and that deserves a polite "well done" without the "...but..."
Where's the "...but..."? I congratulated Coffee in an according manner. It's not the first time I've used the term "an easy win" in this particular section. I've voted for him in the past so please don't see this as an attack towards him. Jeez...we've been challenging each other week after week in an entertaining and professional manner for a while now.

@ Coffee - I meant no offence. I hope you didn't take it that way. I guess you guys thought my "outburst" was too strong and taken in the wrong way. Call it the "heat" of the moment if you like. I was hoping that "Angler fish" example would be taken as a joke. Not as an insult. I forgot to add the ":p" at the end of the sentence. You and Shin seem to incorporate the colour black a lot in your sigs. It may not necessarily take the majority of the "space" but it still plays a key part in your overall sigs IMO. ^^

Remember the golden rule: if you do not have something nice to say, you should strongly consider whether you should express that opinion.
Other members would've felt or considered that to be very insulting and to a certain extent quite distasteful. Why?

"Golden rule" "have something nice to say". This is a manga community that focuses mainly on the discussion of mangas not just translations per se. I'm sure you've come across many posts on a regular basis containing someone's opinion in the middle of an argument relating to a manga or whatnot. Disagreements are a given in such places. In this case, it shouldn't be taken as "harsh" or "negative" in anyway. I've always supported you, your methods and the manner in which you approach these contests. All I said was "I'm not too comfortable with the voting process". That shouldn't be taken as an insult towards you which I hope you didn't, Tsuki. I just felt strange about the voting pattern for the "Light" theme. As you rightly said, you've been keeping watch of the votes over the week and I take your word for it.

Nerves were high that week especially since their were only four submissions. So it's only natural to assume that the votes would be evenly spread for that particular theme considering the quality of the submissions imo.

I think nanaD made a good point:


Coffee... congratulations n_n

I think that in the process of choosing one sig to vote, people just consider the one they would like to actually use... that's way lots of people probably vote for their favorite characters or series... and of course the aesthetics count too...
I sometimes feel like that as well lol. Especially, when you browse several different forum sites that run the avatar/signature contest. Some people spend a whole week working on effects just to make the signatures look "perfect" in everyway possible. *.*

The idea of having one render only for everyone to use is good... even though I like to do everything on my signatures (from sketches to drawings, pictures,...), it would be a challenge, also it would be really interesting to see the different results :]
Another good point. I think this should be considered for the MH Anniversary Special. Everyone using the same themed-render week after week could get boring. Once in a while would be fun. It's already interesting to see what everyone comes up with for each theme because the approaches are always different in some way...so being given or told to include a particular render for one themed-week would be a very cool concept to try out. :thumbs
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

@ Coffee - I meant no offence. I hope you didn't take it that way. I guess you guys thought my "outburst" was too strong and taken in the wrong way. Call it the "heat" of the moment if you like. I was hoping that "Angler fish" example would be taken as a joke. Not as an insult. I forgot to add the "" at the end of the sentence. You and Shin seem to incorporate the colour black a lot in your sigs. It may not necessarily take the majority of the "space" but it still plays a key part in your overall sigs IMO. ^^
- I understand your feelings - after that OP sig pulled in 50+ votes or whatever I was feeling that way as well - I believe I even took a week off and planned to take more off but then felt like I was being overly childish so I decided to come back and stop pouting~
- Anyways, I wasn't sure if your post was lighthearted or not, but I tried to turn it that way with my reply to it, telling you that the fish thing would have been a good idea~

[quote[I sometimes feel like that as well lol. Especially, when you browse several different forum sites that run the avatar/signature contest. Some people spend a whole week working on effects just to make the signatures look "perfect" in everyway possible. *.*[/quote]
- Indeed, I have turned in a lot of works that I've spent great amounts of time on, and all but 1 of them have lost in the voting - (Zero Requiem No Tameni) - The other ones that have won out in votes were works that just perfectly came together in one night (and some I wasn't really happy with myself)

- But maybe we should get off of this subject now??? -


Messed up that quote..... T_T
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Off course!

I'm not too sure yet on how I'll approach this "good" theme atm. I might go old skool with it depending on if I can find the right images to use for one of my ideas I have in mind.
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Depending on an answer from Tsukisama, I think I already know which sig Im going with -


(Thats not it, BTW) LOL
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Who's that kawaii-looking girl!? :wtf

...you're not going to use it!? o.O
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Unno, maybe sooner or later~
It was just a test sig I did the other night combining a few techniques that I thought of -

Like this one -
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Coffe. You call those test sigs!? T_T
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

Yes??? XD -







I seem to be able to poop out awesomeness sometimes when Im not trying to do so ~ XD XD
 
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

hahahah is that suppose to kakashi in the first sig!? xD

No one poops out awesomeness, Coffee. Just sayin'. :neutral You should think about it. 8D

For the "good" theme I think you should focus on the first sig; with the kawaii-looking girl. She looks innocent more than "goody-like" xD. Tears of persuasion or something? xD
 

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,014
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

We have done a tears theme remember? =


Anyways I was thinking of going with this for the good theme =



.........and the internet is silent again T_T
 
Last edited:

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
2,817
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I think Alucard is a good person :) I will put him in a sig :P
I'm just saying ! lol
 

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010

I was thinking of using Zabuza :eyeroll
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top