American Politics | Page 399 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Renewables depend on weather, and bad weather will affect them. That's a fact. Also, battery storage is not a feasible option, that's a fact. I am not gonna debate that.I have debated earlier how even environmentalists and animal conversationalists have discussed on the negative impact of wind and solar.

But it is also a fact that such wind plants have functioned properly in worser climates. Nobody expected a snowstorm in Texas. Texas has no dearth of space so renewables works perfectly for them. If they had coal or gas plants, the efficiency would've been much lower, and you'd still see the same electricity problems. Instead of blaming this on the green deal, the fact of the matter is there is a need for disaster preventness, or a better word for it. Its just silly to blame green new deal to this and say gas is important....

Also, nuclear power plants shut down, due to their safety measures, proving the reliability of nuclear in such times. I doubt coal or gas power plants would be able to scale up the production at the same efficiency as well.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Renewables depend on weather, and bad weather will affect them. That's a fact. Also, battery storage is not a feasible option, that's a fact. I am not gonna debate that.I have debated earlier how even environmentalists and animal conversationalists have discussed on the negative impact of wind and solar.

But it is also a fact that such wind plants have functioned properly in worser climates. Nobody expected a snowstorm in Texas. Texas has no dearth of space so renewables works perfectly for them. If they had coal or gas plants, the efficiency would've been much lower, and you'd still see the same electricity problems. Instead of blaming this on the green deal, the fact of the matter is there is a need for disaster preventness, or a better word for it. Its just silly to blame green new deal to this and say gas is important....

Also, nuclear power plants shut down, due to their safety measures, proving the reliability of nuclear in such times. I doubt coal or gas power plants would be able to scale up the production at the same efficiency as well.
Non-republicans have said that if the TX government or electric companies actually spent money to winter-proof wind turbines, then this wouldn't have been an issue. Turbines in colder regions can handle it because they've been prepared for the cold, while that's not so in Texas. I don't know if it's true that the companies skimped on making their turbines cold-proof to save costs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

And as you said, no one expected Texas to get a snowstorm OR be as cold as it has been, so that doesn't help matters either. The damage is great, and it really sucks because companies will probably charge people to get it fixed, even those that can't afford it, probably.

Reminds me of UK being unable to handle the heat because they're not used to temps going as high as it has been the past few years.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
It's absurd the GND could possibly have an effect on this... The GND never even had actionable policies, it was just a bunch of vague long term objectives where the actual policy to reach said objectives is still pretty much up in the air. Let alone the absurd idea that Texas, a republican controlled state, would have been implementing GND related stuff even if it existed... The fact is simple, texas was just not ready for weather this extreme.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
bad infrastructure and bad policies led to it,

will vastly downplay weather being an effect

because Texas neighboring states + any texas city or town not on the ERCOT grid are doing just fine.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Rush Limbaugh died, and the world became a very tad bit better because of it.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Non-republicans have said that if the TX government or electric companies actually spent money to winter-proof wind turbines, then this wouldn't have been an issue. Turbines in colder regions can handle it because they've been prepared for the cold, while that's not so in Texas. I don't know if it's true that the companies skimped on making their turbines cold-proof to save costs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
Yes, that is basically the problem while ignoring conveniently that gas or coal based plants are likely to have the same issue, Even if they can't they fail to explain how this low efficient sources are capable of scaling up power to support the energy requirement of the time.

Again, i dont think the electric companies investing on winter proof would've made sense back then, so i wouldn't blame them. Its Texas, who would've anticipated this. Renewable was already a hard sell and selling winter proof would have compounded that.

And as you said, no one expected Texas to get a snowstorm OR be as cold as it has been, so that doesn't help matters either. The damage is great, and it really sucks because companies will probably charge people to get it fixed, even those that can't afford it, probably.

Reminds me of UK being unable to handle the heat because they're not used to temps going as high as it has been the past few years.
Bad weather is going to be the norm in the future. The glacier burst in India was devastating, not only because of a village being lost, the glaciers are responsible for 60% or more of India's water resources which are otherwise considered perennial.

Like i said before, nuclear is the best option but to prepare for such occasions, one must plan ahead and call out for schedule cycling cuts to avoid such mishaps. PG&E do that when weather is bad to prevent bigger power cuts.

It's absurd the GND could possibly have an effect on this... The GND never even had actionable policies, it was just a bunch of vague long term objectives where the actual policy to reach said objectives is still pretty much up in the air. Let alone the absurd idea that Texas, a republican controlled state, would have been implementing GND related stuff even if it existed... The fact is simple, texas was just not ready for weather this extreme.
What do you mean by GND? Unfortunately even my google search results in electrical related search results due to my history search ...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

bad infrastructure and bad policies led to it,

will vastly downplay weather being an effect

because Texas neighboring states + any texas city or town not on the ERCOT grid are doing just fine.
Not completely true, Nebraska also had power cuts albeit not to the same drastic levels. They did rolling power cuts and managed it better, of course their challenges were also easier to handle.

Reactions: M3J

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, completely agree with you. Anyways, it won't matter, Texas will still remain a large CO2 producer will look into fossil fuel based energy generation for their future projects. Fixing the turbines is easy so they won't go out of commission even if the governor speaks in that manner.

American policies are bad. Even when the drought was an issue in California, the democrats targeted almond producers, while continuing to give tax breaks for higher water consumption industries and letting the meat industry go without any restrictions. Its very important that climate and related issues are not seen as partisan and everyone works together.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont feel like we should be abusing a dead man. The best we can do is not glorify him and not speak at all... There isnt much to speak good anyways.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Lol, Ted Cruz running away.... If he gets away with this, its proof that the right only cares about hating the left.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I dont feel like we should be abusing a dead man. The best we can do is not glorify him and not speak at all... There isnt much to speak good anyways.
We aren't glorifying him, we're pointing him out for the person he was, an utter piece of shit who deserved to die painfully and agonizingly. He was okay with abusing LGBT+ people who died from AIDS, among other stuff. Fuck nice politics when the other side don't even have the morals to be decent.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
We aren't glorifying him, we're pointing him out for the person he was, an utter piece of shit who deserved to die painfully and agonizingly. He was okay with abusing LGBT+ people who died from AIDS, among other stuff. Fuck nice politics when the other side don't even have the morals to be decent.
I agree with you, and i wasnt referring to you or others here, just my perspective in general. You are right 100%

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I think people shitting on him is a response to those trying to glorify him by rewriting history or ignoring the putrid bile this person made millions of dollars spewing.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Rush is someone who had a very overt role in the republican party becoming an anti democratic cult that believes whatever asinine thing pops up in random social media feeds.. Granted, he isn't specifically responsible for qanon but he definitely paved the way for it.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
He's the main reason conservative punditry exists today in it's current form

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just listened to a podcast on him, he seems to have defined the audience that you associate with Trump. Treating pro-choice, LGBTQ supporters as trash... he's despicable but no wonder the republican party honors him. He gets the base to rally up for them

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
darn was hoping we'd get a Trump dance again

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So, is it me or is the stuff about coumo hitting on women being blown way out of proportion while at the same time the stuff about him hiding or fudging numbers related to covid deaths is not getting nearly as much attention as it should?