American Politics

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
In the first part of that sentence, yes. Thanks for reading.
In the rest, I didn't understand what you were saying, felt like you were saying that people don't care about white people being killed by the cops
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
In the rest, I didn't understand what you were saying, felt like you were saying that people don't care about white people being killed by the cops
The people who simp for shitty cops certainly don't, no
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States

Abortions and Crime: Freakonomics


This is by far, the best content ever published on the topic of abortion.

Recommended.

Even though it is very sad. :hurr
...do you have a uterus? I mean I watched the vid. And it makes an argument us pro-choicers often make very well. But I'm specifically interested in the opinion of people who actually have a stake in the matter.

M3J said:
it's difficult to find that among republicans and among Bernie bros, from what I've seen. I was wondering since most conservative women would oppose abortion; I think Tomi is the only conservative that is pro-choice?
Oh I know. I just wanna hear their argument in favor of it. And yes, Tomi's pro choice and she got punished for pointing it out. There was another blonde that got hell for it too but I forget who. Lauren Southern probably.

Also I'm wondering if there's an argument that can be made against abortion that isn't religious fuckery.
 
Last edited:

Jubei_Kibagami

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
6,815
Reaction score
11,877
Age
42
Country
United States


*meep moop* I can't form an opinion about something without being said thing *meep moop*

[even though I clearly have an opinion on the matter]




I'll make sure to check back, in, say, 30-40 years so we'll all finally be able to discuss elderly abuse issues because we're finally seniors and it's 'allowed.'
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
The people who simp for shitty cops certainly don't, no
Ah okay, I got my cables crossed, then. Though they still do point out more white people being killed by cops whenever the subject of Black people being murdered by cops come up.

Oh I know. I just wanna hear their argument in favor of it. And yes, Tomi's pro choice and she got punished for pointing it out. There was another blonde that got hell for it too but I forget who. Lauren Southern probably.

Also I'm wondering if there's an argument that can be made against abortion that isn't religious fuckery.
None of them so far have had any good argument against abortion, and many of it were just hypocritical. Claimed that the aborted baby could have cured cancer, but so could have a refugee child who was denied opportunity for a better life. The right and forced birthers are so disgusting and hypocritical. Yeah, and Tomi lost her job even though she said she made it clear she was pro-choice and got attacked by the right too, but she bounced back quickly enough to keep spewing her bullshit.

Been waiting for that argument for years. None so far.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
4,686
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki


A 69-year-old Dutch “positivity guru” who says he does not feel his age has started a battle to make himself legally 20 years younger on the grounds that he is being discriminated against on a dating app.

Emile Ratelband told a court in Arnhem in the Netherlands that he did not feel “comfortable” with his date of birth, and compared his wish to alter it to people who identified as transgender.

...


:toc
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Changing age is not the same as being transgender.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
People simp for shitty cops? Weird.
Yeah, they're just not aware of it or don't care. Just like they're not aware of the irony in blindly support institutions formed by and upholding laws made by the government they claim is corrupt and that they want less of. It is curious what kind of bureaucracy is acceptable and why.... but hey, who's keeping score.

Ah okay, I got my cables crossed, then. Though they still do point out more white people being killed by cops whenever the subject of Black people being murdered by cops come up.
Right, but it's also a method by which to show the issue isn't necessarily limited to specific levels of melanin in the skin. Unfortunately, a call to arms regarding certain issues isn't effective with certain people unless the potential for them to be affected by it is there.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Yeah, they're just not aware of it or don't care. Just like they're not aware of the irony in blindly support institutions formed by and upholding laws made by the government they claim is corrupt and want less of. It is curious what kind of bureaucracy is acceptable and why.... but hey, who's keeping score.


Right, but it's also a method by which to show the issue isn't necessarily limited to specific levels of melanin in the skin. Unfortunately, a call to arms regarding certain issues isn't effective with certain people unless the potential for them to be affected by it is there.
Yeah, my problem with the right doing that is that they don't even care that people of their own race are being killed, they just use it as a tactic to try and shut Black people up. Sucks that cops will almost always never be held accountable and if they are, it's barely a punishment, and they're likely to get a job in another department. If I remember correctly, that's what happened with Tamir Rice's killer, and his previous superior didn't understand how the killer was able to get hired.
 

Jubei_Kibagami

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
6,815
Reaction score
11,877
Age
42
Country
United States
Yeah, they're just not aware of it or don't care. Just like they're not aware of the irony in blindly support institutions formed by and upholding laws made by the government they claim is corrupt and want less of. It is curious what kind of bureaucracy is acceptable and why.... but hey, who's keeping score.
I'm not sure anyone is misunderstanding that there aren't examples of rotten apples and the like. The disagreement is on scale. And throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Unless you are advocating some flavor of anarchy, gov has to be used to 'fix' other arenas of gov. But, then you'd have bigger problems. I wouldn't be surprised to find an anarcho-_______ here...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm not sure anyone is misunderstanding that there aren't examples of rotten apples and the like. The disagreement is on scale. And throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Unless you are advocating some flavor of anarchy, gov has to be used to 'fix' other arenas of gov. But, then you'd have bigger problems. I wouldn't be surprised to find an anarcho-_______ here...
I think the disagreement is at the level of rot in the tree... or that the tree itself is growing on radioactive soil... or that the water used to grow said tree is parching everything else around it.

Figurative language aside, I don't think the real solution is just firing some bad apples. In many cases the bad apples exist because of tree.

Maybe we should grow an orange tree instead?
 

Jubei_Kibagami

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
6,815
Reaction score
11,877
Age
42
Country
United States
I think the disagreement is at the level of rot in the tree... or that the tree itself is growing on radioactive soil... or that the water used to grow said tree is parching everything else around it.

Figurative language aside, I don't think the real solution is just firing some bad apples. In many cases the bad apples exist because of tree.

Maybe we should grow an orange tree instead?
That sounds nice, in the poetic language that it is, but in practice I'm not sure what that even means. I've heard some thoughts and they are unconvincing.

I think you're implying that more harm than good is being done, and that's simply not backed up in any way at all.

Edit, grammar fix
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
That sounds nice, in the poetic language that it is, but in practice I'm not sure what that even means. I've heard some thoughts and they are unconvincing.

I think your implying that more harm than good is being done, and that's simply not backed up in any way at all.
I'm not. But perhaps enough is to where maybe lucking into firing some people doesn't actually fix anything.
 

Jubei_Kibagami

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
6,815
Reaction score
11,877
Age
42
Country
United States
I'm not. But perhaps enough is to where maybe lucking into firing some people doesn't actually fix anything.
If you truly thought the soil as it were was radioactive then by extension ALL fruit should be poisoned. But maybe we're not understanding each other when it comes to your analogy.

In any event, I don't know what a happy medium between totally tearing down the tree, complete soil remediation, bringing in new earth (from where and at what cost), and planting an entirely new tree and then waiting for it to bear fruit. Just to hope the population doesn't starve in the interim.

Between that and just pruning as best you can, using the best fertilizers you know how, readily applying insecticides/fungicides, etc etc

It would seem if there's still value in the tree, you try your best to rehabilitate it first before a nuclear option. And what comes after the nuclear option is just as important. The devil that you know vs the devil that you don't is also up for consideration.

There's also something to be said about pruning with quickness... and not leaving the pruned fruit on the soil to rot. The rotten fruit becomes a breeding ground for parasites and organisms that are proximal to the other fruit that is still good. I garden among other things (I guess it's a form of privilege I have. Alas.)




To stop dancing around the analogy as we're talking about policing - I'm not sure there's a progressive model or country that doesn't use policing of any sorts. So, what you'd like to emulate doesn't exist outside of fantasy. Correct me if I'm wrong there.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think the disagreement is at the level of rot in the tree... or that the tree itself is growing on radioactive soil... or that the water used to grow said tree is parching everything else around it.

Figurative language aside, I don't think the real solution is just firing some bad apples. In many cases the bad apples exist because of tree.

Maybe we should grow an orange tree instead?
Not for nothing, and I know that analogies are rarely perfect, but I do think it's a bit humorous that your analogy here is literally apples and oranges.

Just some impersonal levity to add to the conversation.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Not for nothing, and I know that analogies are rarely perfect, but I do think it's a bit humorous that your analogy here is literally apples and oranges.

Just some impersonal levity to add to the conversation.
Well, guess maybe it was a subconscious effort towards something entirely new and different, idk :lmao
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---




Has anyone really delved into what a religious exemption from a vaccine even is? Sort of seems like something done in bad faith to me, not even Christian Scientists are anti-vaccine despite believing they can pray away diseases.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
4,686
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki


US could run out of cash as soon as Dec. 15, Janet Yellen warns


The US government could run out of cash and be forced to default on its debt if lawmakers fail to raise the debt ceiling by Dec. 15, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warned Tuesday.

Yellen explained that the new deadline comes as a result of the $1 trillion infrastructure agenda, which was signed into law by President Joe Biden on Monday.

Many Republicans have said they won’t cooperate on any effort to raise the debt ceiling come December, saying that the US needs to reign in its out-of-control spending.

If the debt ceiling isn’t raised, the Treasury would likely be forced to prioritize certain payments like Social Security. The cutting of certain programs would likely fall disproportionately on the elderly and poor.

Raising the debt limit would not authorize any new spending, but rather let the government issue new debt to pay for existing obligations.

Yellen has insisted that a US default, in which the Treasury delays interest payments on debt, could devalue the US Dollar and launch the country as well as the world into a major recession.

Congress nonetheless has a number of other burdensome items, including passing Biden’s $1.8 trillion American Families Plan, that it must address before grappling with the debt ceiling.


...


What happens if the US debt ceiling isn't raised?

We may all find out together, if its not raised by december 15th, 2021.


:hurr
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Meh, at this point I am running on the conspiracy theory that republicans only cause trouble on this so that they can make a quick extra 5% by selling their portfolios before they announce they causing trouble and buying quickly after that.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Meh, at this point I am running on the conspiracy theory that republicans only cause trouble on this so that they can make a quick extra 5% by selling their portfolios before they announce they causing trouble and buying quickly after that.
and I feel like to get votes as well or make Dems lose votes by blaming them for things.
 

Jubei_Kibagami

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 26, 2018
Messages
6,815
Reaction score
11,877
Age
42
Country
United States
Rah-Rah, Gooooooo, D's!

lol @ thinking one party is any better than the other, or that either has your best interest in mind and not their donor-class.

#uniparty
 
Top