- Joined
- Dec 20, 2006
- Messages
- 8,247
- Reaction score
- 3,239
- Age
- 41
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
It is that simple. People are misled because they forsake their skepticism and willingness to verify the claims of the news sources they're relying on for other reasons likeIf it was that simple, people would never be misled.
1: Confirmation bias not letting them accept the truth because of the negative implications of said truth
2: Spiteful feelings toward the person(s) providing you with that truth
3: A partisan need to stand up for their "team", even if that means ignoring facts
I know. I've seen flat earthers beat actual scientists in debate thanks to rhetoric and dishonest framing against people who are correct, but too good faith or uncommitted to the debate to do a good job.A lot of climate denialists know much more details about climate science than I do, having indepth shorthands of studies, graphs and so on. Some of them are even so good that they never lie, they just present facts in a way that pulls the truth into question.
I see no problem with this, provided the person in question is arguing in good faith. Arguing to win isn't necessarily arguing in bad faith. You can tell when someone is steelmanning their opponent's argument, or strawmanning it. You can tell when someone's ad-homming, and when someone's insulting.Generally, you can assume that someone who follows a debate mindset and is known to shout out very strong opüinions on a regular basis will use these techniques to win a debate, sometimes even unknowingly. As he is very unlikely to say "this is a topic that can be seen with many different angles and I will be very careful to dismiss even the people who say things I deem wrong".
Unless you can't. And if that's the case you've got all kind of other problems you need to deal with.