American Politics

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Nah, I am saying it wouldn't be reasonable for a law such as that to exist. But a law saying this is at least technically feasible. The constitution is the framework of how the government and laws work, not specific individuals... Imagine going to the supreme court every time a mod here deletes a needlessly rude posts...
Why would there be a law for private businesses? And social media is a serious bsns, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people did actually do that. We even had one republican politician or pundit (forgot which one) who chained herself to Twitter headquarter door after getting banned for spouting bullshit. IT IS SUPER SERIOUS FOR THESE "NOT-SENSITIVE, NOT-SNOWFLAKE" REPUBLICANS
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think there's a case to be made that in the digital age that social media might be seen as a utility instead of just a private service, but I doubt any laws/regulation will address that any time soon. The irony in conservatives calling for more regulation is not lost on me.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I am more in the camp that social media makes people sick. I saw a table of influencers the other day and they all simply looked like unemployed people who spent way too much on their hair to me.... I can sort of stomach twitter (though I am not active on it) but instagram just festers mental illness and should be forgotten.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I am more in the camp that social media makes people sick. I saw a table of influencers the other day and they all simply looked like unemployed people who spent way too much on their hair to me.... I can sort of stomach twitter (though I am not active on it) but instagram just festers mental illness and should be forgotten.
Yeah, I wonder why FB acquired Instagram in the first place... kind of makes sense.
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States


Play stupid games... yadda yadda.
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I think there's a case to be made that in the digital age that social media might be seen as a utility instead of just a private service, but I doubt any laws/regulation will address that any time soon. The irony in conservatives calling for more regulation is not lost on me.
How would it be a utility?

I am more in the camp that social media makes people sick. I saw a table of influencers the other day and they all simply looked like unemployed people who spent way too much on their hair to me.... I can sort of stomach twitter (though I am not active on it) but instagram just festers mental illness and should be forgotten.
Nah, social media is pretty useful. It played a huge part in Palestinians getting more supporters and people realizing what's really happening, and it also helped Kellogg's strikers get what they want as Kellogg's was losing money from the boycott, I believe. I feel majority of people like attacking social media like Twitter to sound deep and wise, but they're just stupid.

Instagram though, has changed considerably into a business platform. Went from people posting pics of their lives to trying to look perfect and as if they have a perfect life in hopes of becoming influencers, and as result it has messed with people's self-esteem, mainly women's.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,171
Reaction score
4,717
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki
I think there's a case to be made that in the digital age that social media might be seen as a utility instead of just a private service, but I doubt any laws/regulation will address that any time soon. The irony in conservatives calling for more regulation is not lost on me.
How would it be a utility?
...

edited


Its been tried.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


History
Under mercantilist economic systems, European governments with colonial interests often granted large and extremely lucrative monopolies to companies trading in particular regions, such as the Dutch East India Company.[citation needed]

Today, government-granted monopolies may be found in public utility services such as public roads, mail, water supply, and electric power, as well as certain specialized and highly regulated fields such as education and gambling. In many countries, lucrative natural resources industries, especially the petroleum industry, are controlled by government-granted monopolies. Franchises granted by governments to operate public transit through public roads are another example.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Not really following your point. I just said I've seen people liken it to one due to it's function and prevalence. I mean, I'm sure plenty of free speech warriors would love for it to be treated that way so they couldn't be denied access, but it's not necessarily an apples to apples comparison ultimately.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,171
Reaction score
4,717
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki
People discuss topics like capitalism and utilities as if it were invented 2 days ago.

Or they were born 2 days ago.

Oversimplifying topics to that nth degree, is doomed to failure from day 1.

Nancy Pelosi resists supporting policies like medicare for all, while the right which is supposed to be conservative and not support big government calls for extreme measures looking for a quick fix they think will allow their lives to return back to normal.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well, I would say that it's very easy and convenient to be anti- "big government" when it's of no consequence to you.
 

Sanity Check

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
2,171
Reaction score
4,717
Age
41
Country
Akatsuki
People think politics has no consequence on their lives.

Until they fill their tanks at a gas station.

We pride ourselves on ignoring politics as much as possible.

But what is politics, if not an open forum to determine our future.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Nah, social media is pretty useful. It played a huge part in Palestinians getting more supporters and people realizing what's really happening, and it also helped Kellogg's strikers get what they want as Kellogg's was losing money from the boycott, I believe. I feel majority of people like attacking social media like Twitter to sound deep and wise, but they're just stupid.

Instagram though, has changed considerably into a business platform. Went from people posting pics of their lives to trying to look perfect and as if they have a perfect life in hopes of becoming influencers, and as result it has messed with people's self-esteem, mainly women's.
Welp, that's kinda the reason I can sort of stomach twitter. I don't think just airing your life and thoughts into the ether through social media is the best of ideas in general but twitter can be used for more meaningful communication of ideas. Instagram in turn is a cesspool for people who think being famous is a career rather than the worst side effect of an actual career...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The same way telephone and more recently the internet are considered utilities
I can understand the internet being an utility but social media in this context sounds absurd to me. I mean, even the business model of social media companies sounds incompatible with an utility here. As in, farming data to sell...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I can understand the internet being an utility but social media in this context sounds absurd to me. I mean, even the business model of social media companies sounds incompatible with an utility here. As in, farming data to sell...
It's not my argument mind you, it's usually people complaining about "deplatforming" that act like the government needs to regulate social media.

I can see the philosophy behind it since this sort of thing has become an essential part of communication in a sense, but it ignores all of the minutiae involved like you said.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
The same way telephone and more recently the internet are considered utilities
ugh, hope that doesnt' happen. Makes no sense to consider social media as part of utility.
Welp, that's kinda the reason I can sort of stomach twitter. I don't think just airing your life and thoughts into the ether through social media is the best of ideas in general but twitter can be used for more meaningful communication of ideas. Instagram in turn is a cesspool for people who think being famous is a career rather than the worst side effect of an actual career...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



I can understand the internet being an utility but social media in this context sounds absurd to me. I mean, even the business model of social media companies sounds incompatible with an utility here. As in, farming data to sell...
It depends, really. Nothing wrong with talking about a movie or films in general, but it's when you brag about something illegal or dumb that's the problem.

Yea, and it doesn't help that IG influencers seem to be living the good life and don't show how hard it actually is to be an influencer. People probably think it's way too easy.
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sanity Check said:
People think politics has no consequence on their lives.

Until they fill their tanks at a gas station.

We pride ourselves on ignoring politics as much as possible.

But what is politics, if not an open forum to determine our future.
I agree with this. 100%.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Problem with politics is that none of us citizens, at least in USA, has any say other than who we elect. Yeah, we can give a shit, but what's going to happen? Unless enough of us create a ruckus and threaten the politicians or their wealth, barely anything that's good for us will get done, and the politicians and businesses make sure that we're divided just for this reason.

Just look at how Biden promised to do something about student loan debt, but he's done almost nothing. Then you have Dems/left of center who paid off their loans and are opposed to debt relief because it's "unfair" that the students can get rid of their debts, but those who paid it off don't get anything in return. And then you have some group of people who think it'd just be bad for the economy or something, or whatever whacky logic conservatives have, so it turns into an infighting sort of thing where people aren't as focused on holding politicians accountable as they are arguing with each other.

I could be wrong here though.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Problem with politics is that none of us citizens, at least in USA, has any say other than who we elect. Yeah, we can give a shit, but what's going to happen? Unless enough of us create a ruckus and threaten the politicians or their wealth, barely anything that's good for us will get done, and the politicians and businesses make sure that we're divided just for this reason.

Just look at how Biden promised to do something about student loan debt, but he's done almost nothing. Then you have Dems/left of center who paid off their loans and are opposed to debt relief because it's "unfair" that the students can get rid of their debts, but those who paid it off don't get anything in return. And then you have some group of people who think it'd just be bad for the economy or something, or whatever whacky logic conservatives have, so it turns into an infighting sort of thing where people aren't as focused on holding politicians accountable as they are arguing with each other.

I could be wrong here though.
The student debt thing is specially jarring considering this is something Biden could take immediate action on AFAIK. I am going to guess that this is something Biden doesn't give two shits about but will come into play conveniently close to the midterms as democrat poll numbers continue to tank.
 
Top