- Joined
- Aug 7, 2019
- Messages
- 2,168
- Reaction score
- 4,695
- Age
- 41
- Country
-
Pay more for food... or... starve?
Not sure what you expect people to say
Those in rural areas can begin growing their own food.
Those in cities can support local farmers.
Grafted fruit trees can produce fruit in as small an area as a 5 gallon bucket.
...
I guess the plan for most will be to reduce the number of daily meals. Rather than 3 meals a day. Eating habits would reduce to 2 meals or 1 meal.
One popular approach is to stockpile affordable and long term wheat which can be ground up and used to make spaghetti, bread, tortillas, pizza dough, pastries, etc.
In the past I tried to store rice long term, only to find bugs began to emerge from the stored rice after about 6 months or so.
Having egg laying chickens is yet another popular solution.
...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
edit - forgot to mention.
UV lights to grow plants indoors are affordable and accessible via amazon.
I got two different grow lights from amzn and both work well.
Even those who lack outdoor space might be able to grow a few things indoors for om nom nom purposes.
Although with rising energy costs, perhaps that is becoming less of an option.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
I live in an area where many own chickens, goats and whatever else for food purposes. Everything is relatively affordable and available. There is decent fishing as well.
If food prices rise to catastrophic levels, I would like to think I'll have an easier time adapting than most.
If the catastrophe can hold off for a few years, I think I would definitely be close to self sufficiency by then. By then I would definitely have more than 100 tomato plants and many other things producing year long.