American Politics

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
21,693
Gender
Female
Country
China
It cannot be denied, my consoomer brain rly just glanced over the comics as I scrolled the tl. Felt both silly and a bit betrayed when you pointed out to me their nature 😔
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@xi0: That's fair. I agree with him debating the most repugnant of people but I don't agree with him humanizing them. He thinks humanizing them makes them less of a boogeyman, so that we won't be too afraid to confront their ideas because if we pull the "Don't talk to that person, they're ontologically evil" card then it makes it easy for them to go mask on and lure unsuspecting people to their side. Likewise, dehumanizing them makes it harder to deradicalize them, because the only people treating them like human beings are the nazi's that are inflating their egos and persecution complex.

It makes sense on paper, but not in practice. Or at least I haven't seen it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Likewise, dehumanizing them makes it harder to deradicalize them, because the only people treating them like human beings are the nazi's that are inflating their egos and persecution complex.
Why is "deradicalize them" on the menu? I can't speak to Vaush as much necessarily, but I've rarely ever got the impression that Destiny does what he does to deradicalize people or change hearts and minds. He does what he does because he likes debating and it's a nice circus act.

But in general, I don't think it's in either of their interests, or anyone else's to arrive at some sort of consensus with these kinds of people. But yeah, I get that it's a stated goal but I just don't buy it.
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why is "deradicalize them" on the menu? I can't speak to Vaush as much necessarily, but I've rarely ever got the impression that Destiny does what he does to deradicalize people or change hearts and minds. He does what he does because he likes debating and it's a nice circus act.
Yeah... I tell myself it's a little column A, a little column B. He claims he doesn't debate to change the minds of the people he debates, but to change the minds of the people in said opponent's audience. Hence treating Nick Fuentes in a humane manner, because if someone thinks you hate them (or have been indoctrinated into hating you), nothing you can say that they'll seriously consider introspecting about. For example, I'd be more open to a street preacher proselytizing to me in a cordial manner than I would someone from Westboro Baptist Church carrying anti-LGBTQ hate signs.

As far as only caring about looking dominant in a debate, he's eased up on it a lot lately so as not to frighten off interlocutors lol. If you've seen any of his redpill type debates he doesn't get abrasive until late in the debate when his interlocutors start ad-homming or flat-out lying.

But in general, I don't think it's in either of their interests, or anyone else's to arrive at some sort of consensus with these kinds of people. But yeah, I get that it's a stated goal but I just don't buy it.
I'm skeptical... but cautiously optimistic. Because even if we can't change their minds, we need these conversations to take place so people can see their ideas destroyed in public. And the only ones willing to do this is people like Destiny and Vaush so... I stay tuned in. Because at the very least, they give me rhetorical skills for conversations with my predominately conservative co-workers. I haven't turned any of them into socdems, but I get them to fact-check bullshit claims they heard on facebook for the week (like the kitty litter in elementary schools thing), and have explained the difference between sex and gender in ways that made them less apprehensive about trans people. So for whatever little bit of help it's causing, it IS a help. It's benefitting me I think.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke


Coward

Or perhaps he had no chance with the donor class

Or both
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Why coward? I don't really know who the guy is so i am not sure of what in there points to cowardice? Did he promise to run?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Why coward? I don't really know who the guy is so i am not sure of what in there points to cowardice? Did he promise to run?
No but he was obviously posturing to do so by being an anti-Trump, "sane" Republican in the latter part of his final term as governor. So unless he's had a reoccurrence of cancer, he's likely just kotowing to the donors who don't want him to run against Trump or DeSantis.
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sigh.
No but he was obviously posturing to do so by being an anti-Trump, "sane" Republican in the latter part of his final term as governor. So unless he's had a reoccurrence of cancer, he's likely just kotowing to the donors who don't want him to run against Trump or DeSantis.
Yeah, I was always kinda leaning towards him just claiming to be anti-Trump because he saw the way the winds were blowing and thought it'd be lucrative to get ahead of said wind and let it carry him all the way to the White House. That he's only ducking out because he realized that it wasn't gonna pay off because Trump still has a rabid enough fanbase (even amongst the politicians) that it's not worth the fight. Fuck integrity and standing for something more. He saw an opportunity to capitalize on Trump hate.

That was just my opinion though.

kckk said:
Thoughts on the US treating cartels as terrorists?
Republicans use the term terrorist too loosely I think. I had a co-worker who believed all Muslims were terrorists because they preach anti-Christian rhetoric which equates to anti-American rhetoric because we're a "Christian nation."

They understand that the word terrorist necessarily implies malicious intent, and it goes hand in hand with Trump's "They're sending murderers, they're sending rapists" claims from years ago. It's gonna lead right into racists feeling empowered to act more heinously.

Again.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Welp, terrorist are usually defined as groups that use violence against civilians to advance political goals or agendas. South of the US that's pretty much the day to day of gangs and cartels and the problem has mostly become worst over the past few years. I suppose the situation is not quite like that within the US but this is still relevant to other countries as the US is where most gangs and cartels end up making their money.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah, I was always kinda leaning towards him just claiming to be anti-Trump because he saw the way the winds were blowing and thought it'd be lucrative to get ahead of said wind and let it carry him all the way to the White House. That he's only ducking out because he realized that it wasn't gonna pay off because Trump still has a rabid enough fanbase (even amongst the politicians) that it's not worth the fight. Fuck integrity and standing for something more. He saw an opportunity to capitalize on Trump hate.

That was just my opinion though.
All good politicking reeks of opportunism, but at least in his case it wasn't him being blatantly hypocritical in order to draw attention to himself. He's always operated as a "moderate", as he needs to in order to get anything done in MD. At its worst, you could say that unlike Trump and other MAGA-adjacent candidates he avoids saying the quiet part out loud. But hey, in my opinion that's all Republicans whether anyone wants to admit it or not, some at least care about appearing less than rabid when it comes to no-brainer social issues of no real consequence to the tried and true conservative agenda - hoarding wealth, deregulation, and starving the government.

But yeah, he's not really interested in taking an active role in steering the party he claims to care about because it's a dumpster fire and he doesn't have it in him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Thoughts on the US treating cartels as terrorists?
It does have some entertaining parallels when it comes to the modern war on terror though. Problem created by the US Government and its allies? Check. CIA assets being involved? Check. A truly dire geopolitical ordeal being used as a political football to sow further division? Check.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Shame he didn't fall harder
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It's funny how you can have this line of thinking but then also advocate for ranked choice voting or open primaries
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States

"This is one of those clips that are gonna go viral." LMFAO
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke

"This is one of those clips that are gonna go viral." LMFAO
Find it interesting that she (or any Jewish person, for that matter) writes for Deseret, which is owned by the Church of Latter Day Saints, who famously believe that while also being Israelites themselves (somehow), the Jews are being punished in perpetuity for the crucifixion by God until they repent and convert to Mormonism.

I guess it doesn't matter if someone gives you an outlet to cry about wokeness.
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Find it interesting that she (or any Jewish person, for that matter) writes for Deseret, which is owned by the Church of Latter Day Saints, who famously believe that while also being Israelites themselves (somehow), the Jews are being punished in perpetuity for the crucifixion by God until they repent and convert to Mormonism.

I guess it doesn't matter if someone gives you an outlet to cry about wokeness.
She claims later that she was thrown off because while she was waiting to start her interview she heard Brianna complaining about motherhood or some shit?


Also: https://forward.com/opinion/380510/we-need-to-start-befriending-neo-nazis/
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Unrelated, but noteworthy.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
She claims later that she was thrown off because while she was waiting to start her interview she heard Brianna complaining about motherhood or some shit?

6 kids?? Hit dog will holler I guess...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I can't laugh too hard at the premise, but it seems woefully naive to compare any of those situations to what she experienced as a kid on the school bus. It's more important that we teach kids tolerance and our actual history. Can't really rely on people who have the patience to deal with hate face-to-face.
--- Double Post Merged, ---



This seems like it could backfire and be a massive waste of time and resources.
 

ninjabot

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
8,247
Reaction score
3,239
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States

I'm curious about the "upgraded this misdemeanor to a felony, while downgrading other felonies to misdemeanors" part. Something tells me it wasn't intended to make things harder on Trump.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

 
Last edited:
Top