Shounen - Asklepios by Uchimizu Tohru | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Asklepios by Uchimizu Tohru

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I agree with you eni. Of course it is just the first chapter but this one - lemme redefine: the first chapter - doesn't appeal me too. A trans/scan can change a lot, a reason why I won't judge its setting since that's mostly part of storytelling. Raws, I don't understand anything of it. It's strangely but there's something about his art or the boxes flow that I don't like. Can't tell much yet but well let us see what this will give but atm I am dissapointed (this isn't the typical first wooooow chapter)

[eni]I'm not on translators level but able to understand the content to some extent, so that was included in my first impression. :sweat [/eni]

Last edited by a moderator:

EL_manana

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Oh, I liked it. Very much. I guess it's just because I like alternative-history-religious-symbolic mangas in general. (oh, poor Double Arts Т__Т) The first chapter gave me a completely different impression than original one-shot, though I judge from the RAW. I am not sure, but I liked one-shot more even though main hero there is a clone of Allen. I swallowed it whole and wanted some dessert. In the first chapter hero doesn't look so Allen-ish any more. And his behaviour of being scared of everything even his own shadow is not typical. I'd like to read more about a character like that. The girl's character is a bit new and strange to me and perhaps that is because I can't get rid of the associations with DGM and there are almost no girls like this there. (except For perhaps)
The art is a bit disturbing for some reason and that's strange- I thought nothing is gonna ever disturb my feelings after getting used to Dragon Ball and One Piece art. It is very detailed and that's supposedly good but I get a headache from it. And there is something wrong with that girl's face- it kills me. Well, it's the first chapter.
Anyway that's the series I'm gonna read as long as it lasts. Though I get the feeling it is not going to be long.

Sexy Randal 105

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wonder if this is gonna have some form of fighting in it.

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, I was just wondering HOW there was going to be any fighting in it. Well I suppose Rosalee will do a fair bit, but I'm having a hard time seeing Asceplius himself in battle.

I'm always interested in anything that dares to break out of the Jump mold, though I know it probably won't be around for long... cynical much, me? I wish he didn't have a magic hand, though.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the very fact that the main character is unlikely to fight is itself something that might help it garner some popularity

EL_manana

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Well, the main hero has superb surgeon skills and that means he can use knifes perfectly. Though I doubt he would ever kill someone. He is a doctor after all. the one who cherishes human's life so much.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ah, there wasn't a proper "I don't kill - no matter what!"-character since Kenshin :amuse

I don't like his wimpy attitude, though. Let's see how he develops.

EL_manana

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Well, Kenshin didn't mind hurting and half-killing people if they overstep the limits of cruelty themselves. But this hero seems to be unable to put even a single little cut on the human's body if it is not in medical cases. Though perhaps that's exaggerating things a bit. After all he doesn't mind Rosalee beating others. I mean in one-shot when they came to operate the girl Rosalee suppressed all resistance of the knight by beating him and it was so natural like they do this all the time- come to different towns, enter the hospitals and after tying the doctors and personnel, cure the patients.

Last edited:

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was a good first chapter. Not great, but intriguing, with plenty of interesting backstory and such to cover, and very sweet at times. The operation part was very cool, and I especially loved the few pages of spreads and full-page pictures. Tooru's art is excellent, that's for sure.

This probably isn't going to do well in the ToC, though, even discounting the whole situation there. Muddy and Double Arts covered similar ground and both got canceled very quickly; sadly I'm not sure this has a much better chance at surviving. Tooru really deserves a break, but I'm not sure this'll get him one...

I do hope it survives, though. It's promising, familiar as it may be. The Buzz / Rosalee duo should make for a lot of fun.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope it gets scanned soon. I am eager to read it. >_>

deadberry

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yay for scans ^^

I thought that was an enjoyable first chapter, not so keen on how they shifted buzz to being quite so scared from being more confident in the one shot but hopefully rozari beats that out of him fast heh

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah i'm not big on weak willed buzz, but i reckon they'll pull a mago, and after a few chapters of character building strengthen the hell outta him.
and another good colour page! gotta love em.

also is it me or has the gods eye kinda been fanned over in the first chapter as just a 'hey look i'm using it' thing?

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very nice color page, thanks for posting it. Tooru is great at coloring as well as drawing, clearly.

And yeah Noodles, I'm sure there'll be lots of development with regard to that particular power. It sure was cool when he used it, though.

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
It's a cool manga as far as one can tell from one chapter.
that whole "teresfoss = assistant" stuff seemed a little constructed (that's been one of the big differences to the one shot right?).

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yeah some of the thigns revealed have soured the sorta awesomeness of the one shot, but itll make it up i'm sure.

rosalee is a fun enough character, and buzz will get there. with that in mind i reckon i can enjoy it just fine :D

deadberry

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rosalee is a fun enough character, and buzz will get there. with that in mind i reckon i can enjoy it just fine
that's my attitude right now, I think I'll be happier in the long run if I get to see Buzz develop early into a more confident character than if he just stayed stagnant as confident in his role the whole way through. At least it gives him room to develop!

anyone else think Rozari/Rosa-lee is almost suspiciously close to Rosary, as in the beads and prayer of catholocism?

squirrellord

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
anyone else think Rozari/Rosa-lee is almost suspiciously close to Rosary, as in the beads and prayer of catholocism?
Haha, yeah... you're right. I didn't catch that.
I'll translate her name as Rosary from now on :P (since I plan on doing this series every week).
I spent so much time trying to find a way out of calling "Buzz" "Buzz" that I forgot to look up alternate spellings for her name lol.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
Reaction score
Country
Germany
berry said:
Nope, the first name that came instantly to my mind was Rosalie (pronounced like rosalee). An oldfashioned firstname for females (french/italian origin). Rosary is English and differently pronounced from the European counterparts, I wouldn't have associated that with her last name and the setting :p

Last edited:

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks for signing up to do trans!

I too had to do a double take when I saw his name was バズ. It seems like such a silly name for a shounen main character. But I think I like it. Once you let your mind rid itself of the Toy Story associations, it's all good.

As for ロザリィ, I like Rosalee or Rosalie as the transcription. I see why you think it might be Rosary but it just strikes me as very strange for a name; especially since the church-folk in this series are supposed to be the bad guys. But that's just my two cents.