Year Round Basketball Thread + NBA Fantasy League

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,838
Reaction score
16,823
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Seems this post is pinned so here are the 2025/26 award predictions that I've received so far! If you haven't sent already then feel free to shoot me your list!

 
Last edited:

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

So you're a Tmac fan, eh?

Yeah, I think the Dallas-Golden State match up is probably the most intriguing first rounders this season, simply for the fact that the warriors swept the Mavs in the regular season, and now their playoffs series is currently tied at 1 apiece. Yeah, I'm a big fan of Baron Davis (too bad for his injury, he could have been one of the elite players, but instead, he's just a mediocre All Star player now). I hope the Warriors put up a fight and make the series competitive, although I doubt they'll win the series. Not against a determined Mavericks team. And with the Heats currently winless in their series against Chicago (Chi leads 2-0), I bet the Mavs are even more inspired with the knowledge that they might not have to face their eastern rivals.

So yeah, I haven't kept up with the Eastern side of the playoffs. Too bad for the Heats, I was expecting them to possibly reach the Finals again this year, but Wade got injured. It seems like he isn't 100%, but nonetheless he is still very effective. I'm glad the Bulls are doing well, this might be their chance to gain playoff experience, and finally get past the first round (wait a minute, they haven't gotten past the first round yet, have they?). That Bulls squad are infested with young talent, I'm sure they will become a powerhouse team in the East within 3-4 years, and Kirk Heinrick is such a solid and smart player. With their squad being ahead 2-0, it's not too farfetched to say that they'll win the series, especially when Wade is playing hurt. Although I have a gut feeling Shaquille will not let this happen, plus there are just far too many talent in Miami other than Shaq and Wade, I'm sure they'll bounce back. They've been a resilient playoff team before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sweep the Bulls after this second loss.

Right now, the best looking team is the Pistons. They lead Orlando 3-0. It's more competitive in the West, therefore it's no wonder there won't be any sweeps. Not even against an inexperienced Golden State. The Mavs will have their work cut out for them.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

Well actually when Amare was out all of last year, the Suns didn't miss a beat. When Nash has been hurt the last few years the Suns have had a terrible record!
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

lol, a placebo effect.

Maybe D'antoni is so heavily reliant on Nash's point guard play so much, I guess it makes sense that when he's gone, the whole Suns offense gets disrupted. That could also be a result of poor coaching adjustments, and players adjusting poorly, at least mentally.

I doubt you can really say for certain that the Suns will be unable to function without Nash, and be so horrible that they would be out of playoff contention, unless Nash had been gone for a good chunk of the season, and a Suns collapse was the result. This was never the case, he only missed 5 games! That is insufficient to make that kind of conclusion. By contrast, Amare missed almost an entire season, last year.

I don't want to take anything away from Nash, he's good. But Dirk has put up a Tim Duncanesque type of season, with 67 wins, without a Amare, Marion, or Barbossa. His team actually plays "defense" (whereas Suns ignore defense). The Mavs went to the Finals last season, regrouped and had an even better season this year. These facts cannot be ignored.

I'd like to add, that Shaq almost single-handedly took care of his team, in the absence of Wade. The Heats didn't miss a beat without Wade, I guess we should give the MVP to Shaq, too. :smile-big
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

Shaq missed way too many games to be MVP, and right now the Heat are in a lot of trouble...
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

The heat need to cash out and get a supporting cast for Wade. Maybe make some opportunistic trades, there was talk this year that certain teams were interested in trading some hot players such as: Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnet, and even Vince Carter. Any of which would give Wade a solid support system and continue Miami's strong playstyle. The Heat could use a young all-star Foward.

3rd games seem to be the "lazy game"/make it interesting so fans don't tune out game this year, I expect game 4's will go back on schedule with my predictions of the winners for this round. I'll make predictions for next round after I see the winners, but I'm feeling pretty confident.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

WE'RE GONNA BEAT THE HEAT LIKE THEY OWE US MONEY!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!


3-0!!!!

I guess the Heat should have been careful what THEY wished for! This series has come down to the same four basic things every game, and we've won them all.

Free throws, Miami can't make on to save their life. Rebounding, overall we're still out rebounding the much bigger heat. Defense, Miami hasn't played any, and every time we've needed to slam the door our defense doesn't give up anything. And the fourth thing, to expand on what I just said, the Heat can't stop our game plan. We've done the same things all three games. Lots of cutting, screens, and moving the ball from one side of the court to another, the Heat have no answers, and they look very slow.

We aren't the baby Bulls anymore, guys like Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, and Noiconi have learned a lot from the playoff defeats of the last two years. This should put everyone on notice that we are for real.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

Nocioni has been experienced since before the playoffs last year, he won a gold medal with Argentina. Deng, Gordon and Hinrich still need a year or two before they really become great players in my opinion.

I think Wallace is really underestimated and not given enough credit, he's their MVP in my opinion, and the reason this team is doing so well.


Holy shit wtf is going on with Dallas????

I honestly cannot believe my eyes and do not understand how.. I mean could this be the "one team they can't beat" in an incredibly unlucky twist of fate? Should they have lost games on purpose to get to 2nd?
Or is there something in Golden States water???? Holy upsets Batman!

I'm remembering now the GSW have a 3-0 against Dallas during the regular season...
Wow.. just wow.. I never thought I'd see the day.
 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

You are right about Ben Wallace, a lot of stuff he does doesn't show up in the box scores. He tips A LOT of rebounds to his teammates. And that big block on Shaq while the game was still in doubt! And come on Gordon is one of the most clutch players in this league, Deng and Hinrich get better all the time. I don't think they've peaked yet either, but they're extremely good and getting better.

And yes!! Dallas and Golden State! The Warriors destroyed Dallas again, they're half way to one of the biggest upsets in NBA history! I can't believe what a mis match GS is for Dallas. Watching the games, the better team is winning.
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

nope, the Bulls are still so young and full of talent, none of those guys have reached their peak yet. These guys have championship potential within the next 3-5 years, as long as they keep their current players.

About GSW and Mavs, I'm speechless. But I think the Mavs will bounce back.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

I'm a little worried about the Mavs, GS looks so much better than them when they play...
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

I don't think the Mavs will come back to be perfectly honest.
They have a bad regular season record against GS, and GS is just dominating.

The sad thing is, GS will likely get destroyed next round.. huh.. the Suns in the semi-finals..
This could be an unexpected turn of events depending on who wins between Rockets, and Spurs/Nuggets..

If Spurs win, I say they take Suns, if it's Nuggets or Rockets though.. this could be the Suns year.. Suns vs Detroit or Suns vs Bulls? Or does Lebron pull out another surprise and somehow overcome Detroit?

Well I have to admit, the finals are getting interesting if things keep up like this.


I hate Jeff Van Gundy, Houston Utah will go to 7 games most likely.
Nuggets surprised me, I had high hopes for them.
West is really a tough finals this year..
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

im rooting for the nuggets all the way. the spurs are so boring, seems like every playoff i get sick watching the same guys :sweat... and btw, congrats to detroit, orlando needs to be better next time, grant hill should return to his old self, with expanding nelson, help out dwight.

did you see kidd's game? damn when will that guy degrade?

and the rockets are really unpredictable, im a huge tmac fan but something always cracks up to them. yao is pretty consistent

and im rooting for the bulls for the championship! golden state vs. chicago at finals, that's my dream game :D
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

It's not the players in Houston's fault, it's the coach trust me.

As for Orlando, I heard a rumor Grant wants to retire and possibly go to a team that has a chance for his final seasons.. which means JJ who is blowing in the NBA would take his spot.. so I dunno


I'm calling it: Suns win the west.

Nash is incredible with his assists, and Barbossa is so fast.. SO FAST Holy shit I cannot believe how fast he is.
Watch the games, Barbossa is SO FAST he makes Kobe look like he's standing still. It's not even funny.. he should be Flash not Wade..
Also Stoudemire, Marion and Diaw are staying solid and Raja.. is just kinda doing his thing.
But damn, Barbosa...

SO FAST
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

warriors are likely to beat dallas. but they arent likely to beat the suns. the suns will win the west i agree. barbosa, man that guy is blazing. kobe looked like a joke. damn. did you see how many players played for the suns? EIGHT. only EIGHT and they scorched the whole lakers roster. it's done.

the raptors are over. and they know it, they're gonna be a better team next year. go nets!

for the heat:
IT'S OVER! IT's over ladies and gentlemen. what a really obvious series that was. cmon, opening night with a 40-point deficit over the defending champions, that's way obvious. even if wade or shaq were healthier, i dont think there'd be a difference.

another intriguing series. ben wallace versus the pistons. another close ball game. im predicting a game6 or 7, but bulls are gonna win the championships.

im always wondering how GREAT a series washington and cleveland if gilbert and caron were there. what a terrible waste. i love arenas, that guy is so fcking fearless


shit the warriors mavericks game always make me edgy! this is like the finals already. 5 minutes to go, what a freaking close game as always


AAAAHHH!!!! WARRIORS WON!!!! HOLY HOLY HOLY HOLY i cant breath that was the most unbelievable playoff game this season!!
 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

What a freakin' game. The Heat were our total bitches this year. BEN FREAKIN' WALLACE hit 7 free throws in a row at the end of the game. 7!!! Once again our defense stepped up when we needed it. Shaq disappeared again, the Heat couldn't hit a free throw to save their life, and we got numerous turnovers.

It's on to Detroit now. I'm confident, we went 3-1 against them this year, our only loss was a 2 point loss at Detroit. We're playing well overall. This should be a great series, I think the two best teams in the East will be going at it.

And I can not believe it. The Warriors are one win away from one of the biggest upsets in NBA, and perhaps, sports history!
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

wtf!!? this playoffs is turning into a March Madness cinderella season! so many upsets, and potential upsets! Arrgghh, it's too bad I can't enjoy the playoffs since I'm having a shitload of midterms this week, so I only hear the scores and see the highlights. :(

Hopefully Mavs fight back, this can't be happening. Baron is my boy, but damn, don't ruin Dirk's illustrious season!

And the Heats? speechless. I disagree, if Wade and Shaq were healthy (especially Wade), this couldn't have happened. As good as the Bulls are, this isn't the same Heats team from a season ago. But, meh, too bad. Go get your surgery Wade, and get better soon!
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

And the Heats? speechless. I disagree, if Wade and Shaq were healthy (especially Wade), this couldn't have happened. As good as the Bulls are, this isn't the same Heats team from a season ago. But, meh, too bad. Go get your surgery Wade, and get better soon!
no way man, opening night? remember that, 40 point deficit? wade and shaq and all of them were in champion mode and still got blown! it's not that the heat is a bad team, they beat out a lot of great teams, but the bulls "just had their number", quote shaq.
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

I actually didn't see the game, so I have no basis for analysis. Although after hearing about the 40 point deficit, I'm not gonna make any excuses. Injury or no injury, that is simply unacceptable. Props to the Bulls, I hope they do well. I really like Heinrick, Gordon and Chandler. Chandler went to a school in Compton (I went to school in that neighborhood, btw). And Wallace is a veteran, so they're not totally lacking in experience. So the Bulls will only get better from here on, this isn't a fluke by any means.

Oh yeah, did anyone notice Jason Kidd is averaging a triple double in the playoffs?

Again, all we ever notice is Nash Nash Nash.
 
Last edited:

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

Nonono, if you want in-game analysis what you need to understand that the playoffs are no longer about defense, they are now about speed, fastbreaks and outrunning your opponent throughout the whole game.

This is why sports analysts are giving GS the win over Dallas, I mean dallas had SO MANY F$#^$ rebounds last night, it is IMPOSSIBLE with that many ball possessions to lose, and yet when you are outrun and outscored you are.

What's happening now is Slow Offense < Defense < Speed
And we'll find out if Speed beats out slow and strong offense or not when GS faces the rest of the west (although Rockets and Nuggets are fairly balanced defensively/offensively, and Pheonix is relatively fast offensively, at least faster than lakers/heat) and Bulls take on the rest of the east (Nets and Cavs both being fairly slow offensively, yet super strong offenses). Because if it does, Barbossa, GS and the Bulls roster will be high ball trades next season.

Oh yeah, did anyone notice Jason Kidd is averaging a triple double in the playoffs?

Again, all we ever notice is Nash Nash Nash.
Lies, I noticed but Nash as far as i can tell purposely did not beat Magics record while he was watching. He had 23 assists with 6 minutes to play, all he needed was 3 more. Either he didn't know or he didn't want to do it in front of magic who holds the record for 25.

So you can say Triple Doubles and compare the guy to Bird, but Nash is pulling Magic numbers =p


Congrats to the Cavs who didn't really even try (or have to I suppose with half a team =/).

Anyway, I've figured out how Rockets work.
If Tracy plays PG and Yao gets rebounds, they win, if Tracy has a low amount of assists they lose. 7 games Rockets, call it the home court playoffs.
However this means they'll prob be tired for the next round. We'll see who wins between spurs/nuggets and we'll see if it'll be enough.
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

yes you're right, tmac should play point guard AND go to the hoop a lot. he draws so many fouls that way, kinda slows down the pace for the jazz, as the jazz can be deadly fast if given the chance! afterwards the rockets have a good bout against the nuggets or spurs.

im looking forward to lebron's game. shit im still mesmerized at how sensational the 2003 class was. lebron, wade, carmelo, bosh, hinrich, tj ford, boris diaw, josh howard, and korver, kaman, ridnour, david west! this class has got to be the linchpin of the new generation
 
Top