Year Round Basketball Thread + NBA Fantasy League

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 1, 2015
Messages
5,843
Reaction score
16,825
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Seems this post is pinned so here are the 2025/26 award predictions that I've received so far! If you haven't sent already then feel free to shoot me your list!

 
Last edited:

eaballer10

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
608
Reaction score
173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

I really hope Ginobli gets injured or something so that Suns advance.
Lastly.. I really hope Ginobli/Duncan gets injured and they don't beat Suns..
These playoffs piss me off now =/ It was fine up to this point, but I have a feeling a LOT of teams I don't feel deserve to, will make it to their conference finals because the other team will be tired: Namely Cavs and Spurs.
That's so unsportsman like. No offense, but you MUST not play basketball. Or at least not organized ball.

That's just like the first game of Lakers/Suns (@Suns) when Kobe fell and hurt his ankle. Everyone started to cheer. That's like, evil. Why don't you just hope your team outplays the other team? The best players hope their opponents are at their best and full strength. Nothing feels as good as good competition, and winning when your opponents could not do anything to stop you.

But I guess I can kinda understand why you think that way.. (you are probably from Phoenix, j/k :p). For way too many reasons to list, the Suns have no chance at beating the Spurs. Or should I say, they have about as much of a chance as the Lakers had at beating the Suns. I mean, I'm a huge Lakers fan, but we have to face reality sometimes.

The Spurs are going to destroy the Suns.
 
Last edited:

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

eaballer10, I agree with you on the sportsmanship stuff. As a competitor, I'd prefer my opponent to be at his/her best, otherwise it would be meaningless. And to "wish" that someone is "injured" is not very nice at all.

I disagree about Suns vs. Spurs. I actually think the Suns is overall a better team than the Spurs. They have more depth, they have Amare and Marion in the paint to neutralize Duncan, Raja Bell to neutralize Bruce Bowen or Ginobli (whichever is the matchup, it doesn't matter), Nash has an edge over Parker, and Barbossa (who I think will be paired up against Ginobli), has the slight edge because he's quicker. In sum, every starting player is pretty even against each other, but with the Suns' depth and speed, it will be unlikely for the Spurs to force a slow tempo kind of game. The Suns are a younger, more energetic team, whereas the Spurs are slower and older.

Now, I'm not saying that the Spurs lack depth, because they are one of the deepest team in the league. However, I think the Suns are somewhat deeper than the Spurs this year, and this will be critical.

I do think the Suns has a shot at winning against the Spurs. They have almost identical records, and are both in the same West Conference.

I pick the Suns in game 6.

And this is coming from a guy who despises the Suns, and is a big loyal Lakers fan. :D



P.S. Whoever said Baron Davis for MVP...I agree. :D That guy is a monster. Steve Nash with an attitude (actually, I think he's better than Nash if he's completely healthy).
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

I used to play basketball in high school, in NY not on my schools team, but during tournaments against my schools team during PE.

I was a foward, defensive genius (I'd always play the top scorer) and 3pt impossible behind the line shot maker. It was never enough.

What sucked when I used to play basketball was that I was never a captain so I couldn't choose my team, but I was still expected to make sure my team won.
I sympathize with Suns/Tracy Mcgrady. Both teams are expected to win despite not having all the resources the team could possibly provide them.

Nash could have a much MUCH better team after the past 2 seasons of being voted MVP. All the suns had to do was trade either Stoudamire or Bell and they could have gotten a great trade like Kidd or Garnett, but no they were greedy.

Tracy likewise has a SHITFU@#^$#@$^#$ coach that refuses to let the team help Tracy out. It is a 3 man show with Yao (most of the time) and Alston (sometimes) yet regardless of who is at fault, Tracy gets the blame as the most passionate player.

This is why I hope the others get injured.
Now, honestly, when you get to my age (which isn't that old, 21) and have put sports behind you and are an avid fan at this point you realize, people should take every advantage they can get. And injuries are part of that advantage, this is especially true in soccer where you'll see ASSHOLE PAYED OFF ENVELOPE CHECK REF's not give red cards to fucking murderers that put players out of commision for 5 weeks.

So I don't mind what you call "cheating" so much anymore, as long as i get a better show. And quite honestly, it will be a better show if Cavs don't make it to the finals and if Spurs let the Suns win. It's all part of the game, if it wasn't they wouldn't make a rule for it. Gotta think strategically, not "morally" this isn't King Arthur's court (and let's not start on why that's ironic in itself)
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

nope, in NBA, they have rules specifically against purposely injuring players for strategy. That is not only punishable by fine, but can likely lead to either a mild suspension, depending on the seriousness of the offense, or a possible ban from the league.

Ok, don't quote me on that, because I'm too lazy to look up the NBA rules, but I'm pretty sure it's not allowed. NBA isn't the same thing as street ball, where that type of thing occurs on a normal basis.

About Nash not having good players around him...are you kidding me? With no disrespect, I advise you to look at the Suns roster, and refer to their individual stats.

Marion, Amare, Barbossa (who is a bench player, btw), Bell and Nash are all averaging double digits in scoring. Out of that squad, Marion, Amare and Nash participated in this year's All Stars. I'm not sure about Barbossa or Bell, although I doubt it.

Nash doesn't need any improvements on his team, because he already has good teammates. Making unnecessary trades for players, such as Garnett or Kidd, would in fact be considered "greedy".

And besides, Garnett has already expressed adamantly that he intends to honor and complete his multimillion dollar contract with Minnesota.

And I don't understand why the Suns would need another point guard, when they already have Nash. Why would you want to acquire Kidd, and replace your 2-time MVP?
 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

First of all, wishing for someone else's players to get hurt is a good way to see your team go down with rolled ankles. :(

And I don't agree that teams who could make the finals don't "deserve" it. If they win, they earned it, they deserved it. The other team had a longer series and couldn't get as much rest? Boo hoo. The reward for taking care of buisness is days off.
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

i dont like van gundy either. he focuses more on defense, like he forces his team to do more on defense when his team is an offensive onslaught. yao is not that good at defense but he's insanely unstoppable when he gets to the post. and van gundy makes the same plays for yao every time that it gets totally predictable. also tracy is supposed to be a scoring machine but he gets held to assists and rebounds, just goes to show that van gundy clearly doesnt focus on teamplay

cmon, make alston the assistman, yao the rebounder, and tracy the hoop guy. not tracy the assistman, rebounder, hoop guy, three pointer, free throw shooter, everything. it's totally wrong to let one guy focus the team, it's a huge weakness.

take vince carter, he doesnt want a team that focuses on him so he left toronto. the nets would be a really strong team had kristic not been injured. nenad was headed for all stardom before that injury, he's like the nowitzki of the nets

and im excited of the suns-spurs. despite everyone's arguments, you cant say that wont last game 7. no way, this series will last a long time.... and GS can beat either suns, jazz, rockets, but not the spurs.

and yeah it's wrong to think "they don't deserve it"... everybody deserves their win. it's a best of seven series, not an instant knock out tournament. when you win four games out of seven there's no doubt that you are the better team


rockets lose dammit... somehow that leaves a really stingy pang.... van gundy should go man, the whole team was still focused on tmac... the others are a no show, van gundy should go. you gotta give tmac credit, all the teams he's been eliminated were really strong (dallas, detroit, utah) and still he carried on his team
 
Last edited:

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

I would argue Yao is the best center in the NBA right now
I would also argue T-mac is the best foward/gaurd
Finally I would argue, their reserves aren't as bad as they seem.

So.. why is it that they can't get past round one of the playoffs?
Same reason the Knicks were sucking under Van Gundy, and 1999 wasn't that impressive if you look back on it, even if it was it was the single success in his career.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-vangundy050607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
In fact, the Houston owner has told friends in the league that he wishes the Rockets would play a much faster style, like the Suns. With Yao as his franchise player, and one of the most un-athletic rosters in the Western Conference, it's hard to understand why a coach would try that with the Rockets. As it looks now, Alexander will get the chance to find his man.
Apparently, the owner is also a little whacky in Houston.. must be all the heat.. or something in the water =/


omg.. I just saw Tmac on the post game interview... he almost cried, he walked out of the interview..

he said "I tried man.. I tried.." and then some interviewer asked him some STUPID question about another shot creator and he started getting ready to break down and he walked out...

I feel so bad for him, fuck, I don't care what you guys say that man deserves an MVP and a ring, even if it has to be through the other team having injuries, he FUCKING DESERVES IT.


I have decided to cheer for Suns vs Nets in the final.

As it stands, I can't stand half the teams, and the rest simply bore me.

So however possible, I would like for Nets to beat Cavs, Nets to somehow defeat Bulls/Detroit, and Suns to keep Spurs/Jazz/GS from knocking them out.

This should be the year of the point guards just like it was in the Euroleague

And of course Nash gets his nose broken against the Spurs yaaaaaay
 
Last edited:

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

im more interested in lebron than carter/kidd/jefferson, i love that guy, he's the greatest team-carrier today next to nash. yeah for tmac i feel really sorry for the guy too, i mean cmon, his stats are MVP-like all-around stats but still the team cant carry on... and yao is always hounded because no other houston player steps up in clutch

look at spurs/suns. spurs have duncan dominating because they have parker and ginobili to be feared, but if they get shut down, there's always finley and horry. same for the suns, if they lockdown amare, there's marion. if not, there's barbosa and bell and diaw. and imho nobody cant lockdown nash anyway so the suns are freaking strong

see what i mean, in houston there's tmac and yao, but if they get players like barbosa or finley or a perimeter that's feared, like stephen jackson or anybody, they'd win the championship. dont get me wrong, battier and alston, they're good, but not that feared. they're not as scary as a red-hot finley or blazing barbosa.

speaking of which, i think the spurs won just cause of luck today :), if nash was still playing without that bloody nose, clutch time! (im thinking a three or a smooth layup)

year of the point guards/assistmen it is: tmac, kidd, carter, lebron, paul, baron davis, hinrich, and of course steve
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

this really sucks that I can’t watch the playoffs at the moment, too many exams.

year of the point guards/assistmen it is: tmac, kidd, carter, lebron, paul, baron davis, hinrich, and of course steve
out of all those "assist men" that you mentioned, Kidd, Nash, and Davis are a notch ahead of the others.

Lebron is a good passer, but he's more effective as a shooting guard as opposed to a point guard. You can't force a "scorer" to "pass" at the same time, it's one or the other, not both.

Chris Paul is good, but I cannot predict whether he will be as good as any of the "trio" above, although he has potential. I remember how good and poised he was when he played at Wake Forest. His team was guaranteed to lose the game (because they were down a lot and there was not enough time), but he handled himself so well as a leader, he continued to be agressive, distribute, and drive to the basket, showing no fear...he's mature beyond his years. And he demonstrated this as a Rookie of the Year. That's why I'm an advocate of young players staying in College the whole 4 years. Paul could have left early out of college, but he chose to stay. And now look how college has benefited him.

Same thing with Heinrich, he's good and he has a good court vision, although I'm not sure if he will be as good as those "trio", but he does have potential.

A note about Baron Davis, if you've seen him at full health, he's almost unstoppable. He's like Nash, but stronger. Unfortunately, he's been plagued with too many injuries, and I doubt he will ever be the same player as he was. Davis may not be as good a shooter as Nash, but he can rebound, score more baskets, and dish the ball just as effectively. I guess he's like Kidd, but Davis could have been better if only he was healthy. We'll see how popular he remains, now that he's finally received recognition. He's still quite young, so he's got a long way to go.

I have a feeling this Golden State team will be a powerhouse in the West for the next few years, and they have some young talent in that team, such as Ellis, Richardson, Pietrus, and Barnes. This is a very young basketball team. Ellis came straight out of High School, and he won this year's most improved player award. So watch out for this Warriors team, this is only the beginning. And Nelly is a great coach, so hopefully he stays longer and help mentor these young players.

About Tmac, I agree, he's a great player, and he's facing a similar issue that Garnett and Kobe has been going through for quite some time...lacking the necessary players around him that will lessen the burden of "carrying a team" all by himself.

About Carter, he's good, but I honestly think he is second rate, compared to what he used to be. Without Kidd, he wouldn't look this good. Don't get me wrong, before injury, he was an MVP type of guy, but after that, he's just a mere All Star. Plus, he has already passed his peak years, and he's getting older. So don't expect any more from him, this will be as good as he gets.

EDIT:

oh crap, I forgot to mention Chauncey Billups. He belongs to the "great category" above (point guards). This guy is not only a great defender, but is also Mr. "clutch". He knows how to play under pressure.

And I just saw the replay of the Nash-nose-collision with Parker on the news last night. Ouch, that must have hurt. Wow, the Spurs definitely needed that win. This series is already very interesting, I hope it extends to game 7, and remain highly competitive throughout.
 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

Well, all I can say is it looks like we've bent over and decided to take it... without any lube. =(
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

im predicting a similar homecourt advantage situation in the golden state-utah series. except that both teams do well in any court. close one, really. golden state is not to be taken lightly at all. huh, lucky deron
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Re: NBA thread

I dunno.. sadly I think it's the end of the run for GS, although I don't think Jazz will fare all that much better against Suns (hopefully Suns)

As for Cleveland and Detroit.. yea..
..yea..

Sadly I think i'd rather have Cleveland just to see "king James" in all his glory. I'm really liking Pavlovic in the playoffs too not that I think he deserves to win a ring yet, but w/e..

I really hope it isn't another defensive final, I love defensive games but I was really looking foward to a matchup of great pointgaurds..
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

well considering utah were down 0-2 in houston, and houston led only by a small margin, like what's happening now, it could happen. leading by small margins means you're very comfortable playing in the opponent's court. and what's more if you're playing at home. this is gonna be fun

james is just so awesome. reallllly awesome. that guy's going to be alongside mj, wilt and oscar, the great winners. i cant believe how much he has accomplished in a short career. a 4th year player runner up to the mvp candidate last year? amazing. lebron is going to kill detroit man.
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

I'm not even up to date with the scores anymore...anyway, I heard the Jazz is doing alright against the GS..meh, I think the Jazz is a boring team...AK 47 is nobody special. And what the heck? Boozer got so good all of the sudden...he was never that good in college when he played for coach K..

Oh yeah, LeBron James, the guy is amazing! His fellow classmates, Melo, Wade and Bosh isn't doing so bad either...but uhmm...whatever happened to Darko Milicic?

This year's class is pretty impressive too: Oden, Durant, Acie Law, Dudley...and I can't wait for Mayo and Love to come into the league..dang, so many new talent...it isn't who is the next MJ or Kobe anymore...it's who is the next LeBron, or a next Wade.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

I don't even know what to say anymore. It seems all my teams in every sport find a way to spectacularly collapse in the post season.

I know we aren't "supposed" to win or anything, but our performance has just been completely ridiculous and pathetic. We've played like the Bulls pre 03-04.

I can truly say I'm embarrassed to be a Bulls fan right now, that's how bad these three games have been. I know anything COULD happen, but honestly, game 4 just feels like a formality. Maybe I shouldn't go that far, most teams can usually rise up and win a game down 3-0, but honestly I can't see this going more than 5 games.
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

the Bulls are down 0-3? Dang, those Pistons are pretty hot aren't they..they haven't lost a game in the post season.

I feel bad for the Bulls. I haven't actually seen their games, so I don't have any analysis. All I can say is, it's nearly impossible to bounce back, when you're down 0-3...only less than 5 percent, I believe, of NBA teams has achieved that feat.

I was watching this on ESPN2 earlier...Amare issued a statement, saying Ginobli and Bowen are "dirty player(s)", that Bowen has purposely tried to harm him (Amare) that could have potentially caused an injury. Amare added, that the NBA and the Commissioner ought to look at this, and do something about it.

I've always assumed Bowen and Ginobli as being dirty players, either that or they really have a knack at getting their opponents pissed at them (i.e. when Kobe elbowed Ginobli in this year's regular season).

I don't know what to say about this, but I have to give Amare the benefit of the doubt. Afterall, I've seen how physical Bowen and Ginobli are. What do you guys think?

Oh, and lastly, Nash is averaging 13.4 assists in this postseason...that is ridiculous!!
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: NBA thread

No NBA team has ever done it. The Sox did it against the Yankees and 2 hockey teams have done it in pro sports history. (In America anyway.)
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

looks pretty gloom for the bulls. dang and i was betting on them for the finals... but this is not a failure at all. the bulls are a very young team, compared to detroit who's been in the finals twice now, and last year beaten by the champions, they've a lot of experience, the bulls are just no match for them. ah man, cleveland or NJ will also stand no chance against detroit... i guess it's detroit to the finals again. but im not against them, heck i love detroit ever since they SHAMED the lakers and proven "not a fluke" to reach game7 in the 05 finals

bowen is dirty man! i remember the game NJ-carter got thrown out because he got pissed at bowen kicking him! and to think that was the start of the 4th quarter and carter had 45+ points already, if he stayed in the game he could've reached around 60, damn bowen


HOLY! did you see--------- baron davis------------ over kirilenko ------------------------ MONSTER FLUSH?????????? WTF!!!!!
 
Last edited:

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: NBA thread

HOLY! did you see--------- baron davis------------ over kirilenko ------------------------ MONSTER FLUSH?????????? WTF!!!!!
heck yea! I saw the highlights only. Again I had to miss the game...too much homework. :(

I'm so happy for Baron Davis...he is finally getting the opportunity to show the world how great he is...I mean, he's always been a top notch player, except he's been on sucky teams.

30 something points, 6 steals, and 9 assists! Holy crap!!! and the acrobatic dunk was just the icing! (did I mention he had the flu and is soar from his previous hamstring injury?)
 

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
405
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: NBA thread

not only that, that was over kirilenko man. A.K. MAN!!! that dunk was reminiscent of VC's dunk over zo. DAMN that was TEH CLIMAX
 
Top