Seinen Bastard!! by Hagiwara Kazushi

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

You know, I did really think it was odd that anyone would pick up Bastard!! for release here. Honestly I haven't really noticed much interest online for it in English speaking areas. I've got a few friends who really enjoy the series, but that is about it.

I'm glad Viz is doing acceptable work on Bastard!!, because it really does deserve it, even if it is, as pocketmofo said, "batshit crazy".
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Yes, Bastard!! deserves it, as I said in Italy is well known among manga readers, at least I think so.
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

See, there's something about Bastard!! that appeals to the European crowd much more than it does to Americans. The databook mentions that the first official release of Bastard!! in another language was in Spain, followed by France if I remember correctly. Then a lot of other countries and finally, (at the time the databook was released), here in America. We are technically the last ones to receive the Bastard!! manga, which is kind of disappointing.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

So did you start reading it in japanese?
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

I've only ever read it in Japanese. It was one of the first full series I've ever read from beginning to current. It's also one of the main things that got me into manga really.

Sidenote, I found the group that is releasing the Edited Mangas:

http://www.kindan-no-aku.com

I will add it to the first post, they're doing volume 2, and volume 1 is available scanlated at #lurk like I stated before.

[eni]Wrong link. Fixed^^ [/eni]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Wow, volume 24 continues in the Bastard! tradition of being crazy. I really like how the story just introduces new races and brings back old characters out of nowhere (and powers up the villian to insane levels in only a few pages). The man is a perverted genius.
 

VIII

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

I've got volumes 1-24 of Bastard!! (RAW, of course), although they're far from HQ scans, methinks. Better than nothing, though. I leave the Raw-Manga files open so they can upload (bittorrent stuffs), but my router ain't that great, so it doesn't connect to everyone. If people want me to upload it to a sendfile site or something, I most certainly can and will, but I'll need some direction as to how I'd go about doing that. Never done that before, and change scares me.

Oi, can anyone tell me what Kall-su is up to in Volume 24? Looks like he's going on some Giant-extermination mission, but for what reason, I can't tell. Then something starts falling, Arshei urges him to go, and...I got the feelin' he was gonna stick around and just let himself be crushed, or something. Clarification?
 

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Kal-su is trying to enter the giant's "holy castle" so he basically goes and picks a fight with one of the elder giants. He uses the spell testament to break the giant out of the ice but the giant tells Kal-su that he is immune to the magics of man. He then basically tells him that it's time to atone for his sin (his sin being soiling the sacred ground of the giants with his presence) with his death. Kal-su then comments that dying won't be enough for him to atone for his sins. He then uses a super-pressurized steam ball on the giant thereby incapacitating/killing the giant.

Arshes Nei comes and scolds him for doing such a rash thing. She says that if DS were around he wouldn't have let him go. She then reminds him that DS has died and left them along many times but that he's always come back. Kal-su remembers that DS is truly immortal. Then the gate to the giant's holy castle comes down and Kal-su goes toward it alone after telling Arshes Nei to go home. He says that he won't die (and he thinks to himself that DS must live and return to this world so that they can meet again).

Oh and there's a flashback earlier in the volume about the coming of the messiah and about Kal-su being Elijah. If there's enough interest, I might be willing to translate volume 24 (maybe 23 as well if there's really enough interest). We'll have to see how much attention this thread gets though...
 

VIII

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

*worships*

I don't know how much I could do, since I know no Japanese, but I'd be glad to do help in any way that I could.
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Heh, people finally taking an interest in Bastard!!, good, good. I'd love to see it be scanlated, but since I'm so weighed down by school, other projects, and my own translations at the moment I can't work on it myself. I also think I'd probably mess a few things up considering the level of the Japanese used, heh.
 

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

I'm not really a Edited Manga kind of guy, but I will certainly translate starting from volume 23 if there are even five people who want me to go for it. It's a fun series to read and translate so I'd be happy to do it. Now all we need is five people wanting it...
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Heh, if you translate it, someone will want to scanlate it, I can pretty much guarantee that. You've got VIII here though, so that's one, you just need 4 more to speak up.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

I already have Bastard!! vol 23 in my language and in my bookshelf, but I really would like the translation of vol 24.
 

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Wow Luckas04, that's very cool! I might just summarize volume 23 and then go straight to volume 24. We'll see if I can post a translation of the first chapter of volume 24 sometime this week.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

pocketmofo said:
Wow Luckas04, that's very cool! I might just summarize volume 23 and then go straight to volume 24. We'll see if I can post a translation of the first chapter of volume 24 sometime this week.
That seem too good to be real :eyeroll, now I haven't no reason not to restart to read Bastard!!.
 

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Here's a quick synopsis for those of you wondering what happened in volume 23 (it's pretty long so bear with me):

Our scene starts with the devil king-level fallen angel Uriel who couldn’t express his regret and penitence to his sister Amrael and Dark Schneider who has unleashed the power of the 7 Judas Pains (*remember Beelzebub still has the last one) and has become all demon-like. Both of their hatreds clashed in a fierce battle and it appeared as though DS had won. However, due to Beelzebub’s release of Uriel’s dark augoeides from Cocytus, the battle took a sudden turn. With Uriel’s dark augoeides’ one blast, DS lost his cursed armor and the power of the 7 Judas Pains. DS, in a now desperate situation, summons and fuses with the human-made, ultimate and final weapon which was designed to fight against heaven and hell, “the Dragon Warrior Lucifer.” With the clash of the two great beasts, the wall of hell is shattered and the battlefield changes to the ground on Earth…?

**Another note about this volume, Beelzebub planned everything out so that DS would summon and fuse with the Dragon Warrior Lucifer. Per Raphael’s explanation, the dark Adam, DS, cannot be permanently killed by the powers of heaven (it’s sort of like how paper beats rock but rock beats scissors and scissors can only beat paper). The only thing that could possibly destroy DS permanently is the power of a dark augoeides. The only dark augoeides with enough power to take down DS (who has the 7 Judas Pains and Lucifer) would be Beelzebub, Satan or possibly one of the 4 Seraphs if one were to fall to darkness. That is why Beelzebub planned the fall of his former friend Uriel and why he unleashed Uriel’s dark augoeides from Cocytus. All of this was planned as a way to permanently destroy DS.

**The quote that Raphael says when describing the Dragon Warrior Lucifer is:

“And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and seven horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.”

“And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.” (New Testament, from the Apocalypse of John)

**Finally, we see the Messiah at the end of the volume watching the man-made Adam in the sky. He comments about how the dark Adam, DS’s, actions from now on (his fight with Uriel) will determine the future. If DS chooses the path of light then it will represent proof of the long lost "contract" but if he succumbs to hatred and evil then it will mean heading one step closer to the destruction of the universe meaning the Messiah will have no choice but to take him down. The Messiah then gets all stigmata-fied and the volume ends.
 

VIII

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

We love you, pocketmofo. <3

I'm wondering what language Luckas's Bastard!! volumes are in...
 

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

I believe Lucka's volumes are in Italian though I'm not certain of that (judging by Lucka's previous posts though I'd guess Italian).

We'll see if I can get around to doing chapter 1 of volume 24 sometime soon.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Yes, my volumes are in italian. In my country Bastard!! is well known among manga readers.
 

Aldrich

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
80
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

I'm glad I was finally able to find a thread about Bastard!!, I was always surprised by the fact there was almost no fansites about this manga on the internet, while it's a decent success in Japan (Vol24 was ranked 4th sales wise the month it came out if I remember correctly) and is very popular in France and Italy.

Anyway Pocketmofo, I'd be extremely interested to read translations from you. Here's another person, only 3 to go.
 
Top