Shounen Beelzebub by Tamura Ryuuhei

thatguy3331

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
588
Reaction score
362
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

MOTS:




 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,242
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Happy 4 Years of Beelzebub
 

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Guys, I dont know if I'm crazy, but Kouta fall in love with Futaba at some point, right?
 

kendama

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
236
Reaction score
189
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mayotte
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Guys, I dont know if I'm crazy, but Kouta fall in love with Futaba at some point, right?
Yes, in the Rice Boy mini-arc. The scene is on chapter 158.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Yup. :lmao


Chapter 158. Though I doubt she'll reciprocate, considering they're four years old.

Its kind of funny actually...I don't want the baby love quadruple to be taken seriously, but its kind of ridiculous how things keep getting complicated. My only issue is that, Beel is around a year and a half younger than them, I don't think they'll be in the same class when they grow up.

Edit: woah, I got totally ninja'd by kendama! :lmao
 

kendama

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
236
Reaction score
189
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mayotte
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

My only issue is that, Beel is around a year and a half younger than them, I don't think they'll be in the same class when they grow up.

Edit: woah, I got totally ninja'd by kendama! :lmao
Actually, Kouta is three, just three or so months older than Beel. She tells Izuma his age some time in the beginning of the Christmas Arc.

So Kouta and Beel are going to be in the same class, one year behind Futaba.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Thanks kendama. It would be nice of the author did a 10 years into the future kind of omake, where we see Beel in middle school or something (no Oga or anyone else, just the new kids).

Ah, on a separate note, the Japanese fandom is going nuts with the volume 20 release. I heard there's a poster included! I found this really lovely poster-style fanart of Furuichi and his summons on pixiv:


And another equally amazing one on tegaki-e:


I think the general's coat is making a big impression on fans. It seems like all over the place Furuichi has had a huge spike in popularity.
 
Last edited:

kendama

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
236
Reaction score
189
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mayotte
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

I can understand why. Furuichi is probably the best sidekick I've ever seen in manga. He does not fall prey to most tropes that plague this kind of character: he is not pure comic relief, he is not a bumbling fool, he does not wallow in self-pity, he is not a pervert…

But he is still the underdog, and I think the reason this endears him to several audiences is that he is only physically weak: he has a powerful brain (but not ridiculously so to the point that people wouldn't be able to relate to him if he were some sort of genius), and most importantly, he is just as brave as Oga.

I think people often ask themselves about this kind of character, "Why does this fellow even hang out with the main character?". The authors explain it away as debts of gratitude, a need for protection or some sort of promise in the past, or a common goal. Often these reasons sound contrived. Not so with Furuichi: because he had no reason to begin with to befriend Oga (he seemed to be social and other kids even sought him out to play in middle school), that he did so only proves that the two are more in sync than appearances let one guess. They are friends because, deep down, they have similar mindsets: Furuichi doesn't back away from danger and can be even chivalrous, and his uninterested friendship offers Oga someone on whom he can rely.

Also, Furuichi and Oga are similar in that both are perfectly happy with who they are. Furuichi knows he is weak, but he is not interested in becoming strong or a delinquent, and has lots of self-confidence, even to try to hit on Nene, of all people.

So I guess people relate to him because he is very balanced. On first sight, he is the average Joe thrown into a maelstrom of supernatural events, but on closer inspection, he is quite heroic. It is easy to relate to him and at the same time to root for him.

Finally, he is also quite mundane in his feelings: he can be sly (as against Takashima), or disengaged (as when he was sleeping through the beginning of Oga's rampage to meet Toujou), or cunning (as against the Chief Bandit in the demon world arc), or willing to bask on undeserved fame (as when he claimed victories to which he did not contribute in the Christmas arc), or inclined to use rough methods to earn respect (the Tissues arc). He is not some tragic noble figure or model character, and he is not a foil to Oga: he has his own existence.

Furuichi, to sum it up, is a prototypical example of Tamura-sensei's chief talent: characterisation. Beelzebub's characters are quite tridimensional: most of them don't fit easy stereotypes. That's why I like the whole bunch a lot: they are very human. I wouldn't be surprised if, when the next popularity poll comes out (the last was in chapter 114, so we are probably not that far off), Furuichi remains on 5th place or even dislodges Kunieda from 4th.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

I think the general's coat is making a big impression on fans. It seems like all over the place Furuichi has had a huge spike in popularity.
I know,right.Look at the art on pixiv.

Go forth,General Furuichi.:hip

On the side note,Beelzebub got nominated for best comedy in the mh manga award.
 
Last edited:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Couldn't have said it better, kendama. That's pretty much all the reasons why Furuichi is my favorite character. I really like that his friendship with Oga wasn't based on protection, but on geniune bonding. Its kind of funny to see people's speculation and fancomics about this in retrospect.

I know,right.Look at the art on pixiv.





Go forth,General Furuichi.:hip

On the side note,Beelzebub got nominated for best comedy in the mh manga award.
None of the links are showing up. Hotlinking in general is strongly discouraged on the forum, maybe you could try to upload them onto an image hosting service? Like imgur, or imgbox. Also, it would be great to include the links to the artists who drew it. Should we start a fanart thread? It might turn into a Furuichi thread pretty quickly...

That being said, Furuichi is IMMENSELY popular on Pixiv. If it weren't for the popularity poll I would have guessed Oga as 1st most popular character and Furuichi 2nd. And if you think about it, the difference between Kunieda and Hilda were only like, 50 votes. Which is nothing. So if Furuichi surpasses Kunieda in the next poll, there's a high chance he could surpass Hilda too.

Oh yeah, we only get one shot at this guys. VOTE FOR BEELZEBUB IN THE MANGA AWARDS. Beelzebub is also eligible for the Manga of 2012 awards, so when the categories go up for that, please vote. :amuse
 
Last edited:

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

None of the links are showing up. Hotlinking in general is strongly discouraged on the forum, maybe you could try to upload them onto an image hosting service? Like imgur, or imgbox. Also, it would be great to include the links to the artists who drew it. Should we start a fanart thread? It might turn into a Furuichi thread pretty quickly...

That being said, Furuichi is IMMENSELY popular on Pixiv. If it weren't for the popularity poll I would have guessed Oga as 1st most popular character and Furuichi 2nd. And if you think about it, the difference between Kunieda and Hilda were only like, 50 votes. Which is nothing. So if Furuichi surpasses Kunieda in the next poll, there's a high chance he could surpass Hilda too.
I got it from the first few pages of the search.I really don't know who the artists are since I can't understand japanese.The image are showing up for me though.I will fix my previous post.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,242
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Don't forget to support in Beelzebub in the Manga Awards
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

So if anyone ever wondered what those darn croquettes are that Oga and Beel like and Hilda completely botches, here's a video! Its a bit long, but I sympathize with Hilda a lot more now. These aren't a walk in the park to make!

 
Last edited by a moderator:

kendama

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
236
Reaction score
189
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mayotte
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Its funny how just by chance someone asked Tamura in an omake who the 2nd leader was. I didn't think it would be important, but here we are, with the 2nd leader being a conspirator to overthrow the TKKH.
Speaking of reader questions, they and their answers are translated in the Brazilian Portuguese volumes. One interesting snippet of information is that the Demon King is really called Kaiser de Emperana Beelzebub III. It is also interesting that the author said Beelzebub's I and II are still alive. So it seems that Beel is really the Crown Prince! So maybe Mrs Iris is the Queen?
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Wait, but wouldn't Beelzebub I and Beelzebub II be the current king's father and grandfather? If they're still alive I have to wonder how kooky they must have been for Beelzebub III to ascend the throne. :XD Maybe Iris is the Queen. I have a feeling we are overdue with how the demon's version of royalty actually works.

If only Beelzebub was licensed in English, then we could all pour over the omakes and Q&As! Is there anything else in the volume Q&A that strikes you as interesting? :amuse
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,242
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Jump ToC
Issue #18
Beelzebub Top 3

Issue #19
Beelzebub Top 4

:zomg

That's Chapter 191 and 192 right?
 
Last edited:

natsu78

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
34
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Jump ToC
Issue #18
Beelzebub Top 3

Issue #19
Beelzebub Top 4

:zomg

That's Chapter 191 and 192 right?
It could be either 190 and 191.There is no way to confirm it.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Yeah Nasubi was surprisingly popular for such a short-lived villain. I really hope he comes back as a side character because his trollish attitude was entertaining. Plus those nipple tassels were so intriguing. :teehee
 

thatguy3331

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
588
Reaction score
362
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3

Yeah Nasubi was surprisingly popular for such a short-lived villain. I really hope he comes back as a side character because his trollish attitude was entertaining. Plus those nipple tassels were so intriguing. :teehee
He's this series Hisoka(alright but him living up to HIS freakiness is impossible), Ryuhei would be doing himself a favor by brining him back. It worked for Kamachi so it should work for him. (Albeit he wrights LN's Accelerator's still one of the more popular characters)
 
Top