Re: Beelzebub Hangout Thread Part 3
I've been meaning to bring this up. I noticed you are an avid TOC watcher and so have a good feel about the fate of manga in WSJ. I also noticed Beelzebub's rankings have been dropping this past year. I remember the previous years its average was about 8.5 and now it's 13-14. Its volume sales are only average and lately Jump is beginning to look really competitive. A bad sign. I'm a bit worried for the future of one of my favorite mangas. In your opinion how do you say the forecast looks for Beelzebub? How high are the chances it will be forced to an early end?
I think Beelzebub is doing just fine. I can't see selling over 150,000 copies per volume a bad thing. It has an anime, light novels, a loyal doujinshi following...its successful. Sure, its not as successful as Kuroko no Basuke, or recently hits like Shokugeki no Soma and Haikyuu!!, but its still popular in its own right. And I think its had an impactful existence. So I'm not really worried about it being cancelled.
In fact, if Tamura decides to end Beelzebub any time soon I wouldn't mind. I really enjoy reading Beelzebub and I seriously love Furuichi, but it would be a shame for the series to need to be extended longer than necessary. As long as its not cancelled...I wouldn't mind when it ended.
While the TOC does play a part in how successful a manga is in Jump, it's not an ironclad rule. During its serialization Death Note had less than stellar TOC rankings and D.Gray-man, when it was still running in Jump, was constantly in the bottom TOC! Both are extremely popular franchises in their own right. I don't think Beelzebub has any chance of being cancelled in comparison. It would have to have a significant drop in sales or at least be in the bottom of the TOC for more than just a few weeks.
Also, do you follow Max Barnard's Shonen Jump podcast, FEV by any chance? He recently
answered a question about Beelzebub, and I think its worth a read.
---------- Post added July 20, 2013 at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was July 03, 2013 at 09:34 AM ----------
Friendly reminder that apparently Beelzebub is marketed as a Boys Love manga in Germany.