Shounen Beelzebub by Tamura Ryuuhei

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,689
Reaction score
61,399
Gender
Male
Country
France
Haha, tsundere Lamia, I always thought she liked him :XD.

I don't consider myself a hardcore reader but I didn't forget about Athrun and thought he would be important in the main story. Forcas was hilarious, he looks like Saotome.
 

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
How long has it been since the Solomon Co arc that Lamia grew so much?!?!
We finally got an explanation for why Furuichi could make contracts with all the pillars, I would have like if this was handle in a complete arc along with Athrun. I hope that we get at least one more side chapter explaining the seven deadly sins and a bit of backstory for Beel III and Iris, I think she was responsible for sealing the other sins power.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I'm a bit confused. Paako and Chiaki had their 2 year time-skip look but why doesn't Oga, Kunieda and others look like their 2 year time-skip selves? Is it because the timeline of this side stories are in between the 2 year time-skip at the last chapter of the main series?





Edit: Ah yeah. Aoi is 2nd year and Oga is 1st year at the start of the series. The current timeline in the 5th Bangai-hen chapter is after a year time skip. Aoi and Nene are now 3rd year and graduating while Oga and Furuichi are now 2nd year. And it's seems Paako and Chiaki changed appearance after that one year time skip.
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,689
Reaction score
61,399
Gender
Male
Country
France
Asking for a hug= punch :epicfacepalm What would have happened if she had asked for a kiss I wonder.

I don't remember a character more dense than Oga. Aoi was cute and all but it's painful to know that there won't be a conclusion.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,247
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I don't remember a character more dense than Oga.
Oga is probably inspired from Son Goku. Furuichi is a combination of Kuririn and Master Roshi (there's a lot of Dragon Ball References in Beelzebub after all) And Son Goku is probably more dense than Oga especially the Pre-DBZ Young Son Goku.
 
Last edited:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Asking for a hug= punch :epicfacepalm What would have happened if she had asked for a kiss I wonder.

I don't remember a character more dense than Oga. Aoi was cute and all but it's painful to know that there won't be a conclusion.
Is he really that dense or is he just avoiding the drama if he rejected them? Tamura's said in his last interview he can't see Oga being in a relationship with anyone, and prefers fighting than relationships. So I took it as maybe Oga putting on a face and ignoring the issue all together as oppose to flat out rejecting.

In a way, it feels like a conclusion. Aoi knows Oga doesn't feel the same way, but she'll miss him all the same. Oga doesn't get or attempt to get romance, but if Aoi has a favor Oga will help her out.

Even though they won't get together, they've become good friends and that's good enough for me.

Hebiko was kind of annoying, though she definitely was trying hard. Stalking him in the toilet had me laughing out of my seat. :lmao
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,689
Reaction score
61,399
Gender
Male
Country
France
Oga is probably inspired from Son Goku. Furuichi is a combination of Kuririn and Master Roshi (there's a lot of Dragon Ball References in Beelzebub after all) And Son Goku is probably more dense than Oga especially the Pre-DBZ Young Son Goku.
Well, Goku was a kid who thought marriage was food, Oga is a teenager but he is far more dense than him.

Is he really that dense or is he just avoiding the drama if he rejected them? Tamura's said in his last interview he can't see Oga being in a relationship with anyone, and prefers fighting than relationships. So I took it as maybe Oga putting on a face and ignoring the issue all together as oppose to flat out rejecting.

In a way, it feels like a conclusion. Aoi knows Oga doesn't feel the same way, but she'll miss him all the same. Oga doesn't get or attempt to get romance, but if Aoi has a favor Oga will help her out.

Even though they won't get together, they've become good friends and that's good enough for me.

Hebiko was kind of annoying, though she definitely was trying hard. Stalking him in the toilet had me laughing out of my seat. :lmao
Link for the interview please?

That's really, really sad. If he could at least understand and reject her, I would not say that she gave up though, she was encouraged not to give up in this chapter.

I guess their relationship will stay like Saotome/Ikaruga but we will probably never see their future-selves.
 

masgrande

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
668
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
I really like how it ended even if the characters never got together, it at least feels like Tamura knows how to portray characters in love (unlike other jump authors). At the moment, I think that if there should be a character with a romantic resolution it should be Takayuki and Lamia lol.
Tamura is one author who I would really like to see make a romance manga, even if it's a short one.
 
Last edited:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Link for the interview please?

That's really, really sad. If he could at least understand and reject her, I would not say that she gave up though, she was encouraged not to give up in this chapter.

I guess their relationship will stay like Saotome/Ikaruga but we will probably never see their future-selves.
The interview was taken July 2014 at France's Japan Expo so its quite recent. Its here: http://www.unificationfrance.com/article33802.html?lang=fr

Hmm I'd say its definitely a conclusion. Someone else pointed it out on tumblr: Oga resorts to fighting as a way to resolve personal conflicts too. Like with Miki, he beat him up so Kiriya wouldn't seek revenge on him and leave him alone. In the Tissues Arc, Oga gives Furuichi a serious fight as a way of showing how he sees Furuichi as an equal.

In this chapter, Hebiko's advances are repeatedly met with Oga wanting to fight her. Aoi challenging Oga was her way of confessing to him in the only way Oga could take it seriously : as a fight. Notice how Oga takes her resolve seriously. And the conclusion of the fight is clear: he breaks her sword. Aoi lost, and that was good enough for her because she still had his friendship. That's what I would call a conclusion.

I don't see them becoming a Saotome/Ikaruga situation because I think the parallel was there to serve as a joke. Probably their feelings were never resolved the way Oga and Aoi have resolved theirs. Of course Kunieda will still have feelings for Oga, but that's to be expected with first love.

@Masgrande--I totally agree, Tamura's relationship building is very strong overall. If he made a serious romance story (and not just for the shiptease) it would be rather good. I think he wrote this story as a way of coming clean about the romcom elements he introduced later in the manga.
 
Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,171
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
Here's Tamura One shot : Tiger Ani to Dragon (raw) : http://mangahead.com/Manga-Raw-Scan/Tiger-Ani-to-Dragon/Tiger-Ani-to-Dragon-1-Raw-Scan


...................................................................................
​




Just one question, has anyone read the raw (Japanese) of Beel side story 5 ? Because I'm confused with this page : "Ogre & Snake". I have investigated about the names, I haven't found anything related to an "Ogre"
The only thing I know is that the name Tatsumi is written 辰巳 : 1st kanji 辰 (Tatsu) means Dragon (5th Chinese zodiac sign) & kanji 巳 (mi), means Snake (6th Chinese zodiac sign), which seems to me more relevant than "Ogre". Does anyone knows more about this "Ogre" thing ?
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,689
Reaction score
61,399
Gender
Male
Country
France
Just one question, has anyone read the raw (Japanese) of Beel side story 5 ? Because I'm confused with this page : "Ogre & Snake". I have investigated about the names, I haven't found anything related to an "Ogre"
The only thing I know is that the name Tatsumi is written 辰巳 : 1st kanji 辰 (Tatsu) means Dragon (5th Chinese zodiac sign) & kanji 巳 (mi), means Snake (6th Chinese zodiac sign), which seems to me more relevant than "Ogre". Does anyone knows more about this "Ogre" thing ?
Isn't it because Oga sounds like Ogre?

Tatsumi is indeed related to the Dragon, with Toujou and his Hidetora name, related to the Tiger.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Just one question, has anyone read the raw (Japanese) of Beel side story 5 ? Because I'm confused with this page : "Ogre & Snake". I have investigated about the names, I haven't found anything related to an "Ogre"
The only thing I know is that the name Tatsumi is written 辰巳 : 1st kanji 辰 (Tatsu) means Dragon (5th Chinese zodiac sign) & kanji 巳 (mi), means Snake (6th Chinese zodiac sign), which seems to me more relevant than "Ogre". Does anyone knows more about this "Ogre" thing ?
Thank you for the link of the oneshot! I hope it gets translated soon. Talk about expies, you can't tell me those aren't mini!Oga and mini!Furuichi!

I can't remember exactly, but Red Hawks do change the punchline for things from time to time. Hebisaki is talking about how both she and Oga have names that correspond to the 5 elemental beasts of Chinese philosophy: Oga is a dragon, and she is a snake. Also Oga's first name has the word snake in it.

In Japanese, people don't call Oga "Ogre" (though its good localization from Red Hawks!) they call him "Abareoga" which is basically slang for extremely violent and unpleasant man. But considering how the average reader wouldn't know how Hebisaki connected hers and Oga's names together, Red Hawks used "Ogre" instead of "Tatsumi". To be honest, I don't mind having more footnotes and explaining things properly but this is how Red Hawks chose to do it.
 

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,171
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
(Demonsp. & Teeba)Oh thxs so much for your explanations :^_^. when I found out about the dragon meaning, it definitely made more sens to me. Plus her reaction seemed more consistent considering the kanji 巳 (mi) in Tatsumi, means snake. I thought refs were definitely related to Chinese zodiac. To be frank I've translated it as Dragon & Snake & added an explanatory note, but still wanted to make sure there was nothing about "ogre".



Edit

Teeba : Oh great thxs so much :).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Oh! I forgot you were a translator. OTL Here's the electronic copy of Jump NEXT I downloaded through Amazon, its a little low-res but I think you should make out the dialogue: http://imgur.com/a/0FTBA#9
 

Lehran

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
362
Reaction score
493
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Tamura's oneshot was translated: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/tiger-dragon-brothers-r14404

Such a fun read (as expected). Do you think that could be serialized? While I was reading it, I thought it wasn't suited for serialization, but that ending was intriguing because it made it seem like the author was interested in expanding it...
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think it could become serialized if Tamura makes sure to have a real plot planned out. A bastard daugther of the emperor who is protected by a badass dragon guy and a hawt chinese Hilda, that could go pretty well if Tamura shows us the parts he could in beelzebub: Other houses/clans aiming to overthrow the emperor, people trying to obtain Beel, I mean, Rin, for their purpose to get more power, Oga and Furuichi, I mean, Tiger and Bado doing their best to protect their "Little sister" and to do the right things when meeting bad guys, etc.

I could see that going pretty well, dem three and maybe later some others as friends and love interests and rivals traveling around the empire, the enemies hot on their trails to get Rin while the emperor and or his advisors are looking for her as well for whatever reasoning. And ofc those two trying to fully master their red light kanji martial art to get their old bodies back. Though I hope in Oga/Tiger's case he gonna stay a cute/sexy/pretty chinese Hilda all the time.^^
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
The one thing I thought was interesting is that the brothers might as well be Oga/Furuichi children. Or like if you took the DNA from them and made test tube babies. The boys don't even have parents so anything is possible. :lmao Either way Tamura clearly thought they had too good of a dynamic to pass up!

Shipping aside It was a fun read but I'm not sure if its serialization worthy. Also needs more female characters (Tiger and Rin do not really count). I think this will be one of several one shots Tamura will write until he hits something golden. I'm remembering the mangaka Matsui Yuusei. After Neuro finished publication, Matsui actually wrote two or three oneshots before publishing Assassination Classroom, and two of them felt very similar to Neuro (supernatural older male hero, younger female child). Tamura might do the same here.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan


This is the coverpage for the last chapter! It won't be out until the 13th though. How reminiscent~ I wonder what the last story contains.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think it would be too much to ask for a date between Hilda and Oga. XDDD
 
Top