Mag Talk - Bessatsu Shonen Magazine | Page 27 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dang, I'm really sad about Aho Girl. It was actually the first manga series I ever read that I didn't start because of an anime adaptation I had just finished. At the very least, I saw on Reddit that the author's blog indicated that it has his decision to end it and it was decided a while in advance, so I'm pleased it gets to end on his accord. Can't wait to see what the author makes next!

Heiji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Throughout this run, this magazine has definitely done it's best to get a lot of its manga series adapted into anime. It's only a matter of time until the next thing gets announced.

Happiness seems to have decent sales, they adapted the author's previous work Aku no Hana. I think it has good chances of getting adapted, the manga is really good, you should check it out if you haven't had the chance to. It's super trippy. From what I remember it sold 30-45k per volume.

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts also seems almost certain to get an anime at some point. The manga is phenomenal, it has amazing art and it's pretty underrated. It also sells decently 40-45-50k per volume from what I remember.

Then there's Tomodachi Game. This one is also does pretty well from what I remember I think new volumes sell from 30k-50k if I remember correctly.

Tomodachi Game started in 2013, Abandoned Sacred Beasts started in 2014 and Happiness started in 2015. Let's see what happens. For now, anything else they have in the magazine is either too new to be adapted or has already been adapted.

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha
January Issue Cover:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
January Issue Cover:

This is the issue that will contain the final chapter of Aho Girl, correct? I always get confused by the "next month's issue, released in current month" thing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Aho Girl ended, and while I would've liked something that settled more of the romantic undertones of the series, the final chapter was still hilarious. I'm glad that everyone got at least one panel in the final chapter. It served as a nice curtain call to all of the characters that made this series so enjoyable. I'm looking forward to what the author's next work will be.

I didn't see this announced anywhere, but I saw a comment on Reddit stating that at the end of this issue's chapter of Rough Sketch Senpai, it stated that the series would be ending in the next issue. I'm pretty bummed about that, especially since I heard that one of the author's other work, Yuki to Sumi, also suddenly ended recently. Both series were pretty nice and incorporated artistic mediums into a romance plot, which I found interesting. Hopefully Rough Sketch Senpai will get a good ending that's not too rushed.

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yeah Rough Sketch Senpai will end 09/01. And 2nd and last volume will be out 09/02.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Rough Sketch Senpai will end 09/01. And 2nd and last volume will be out 09/02.
I'll definitely miss it. Sad that it didn't take off and become a success, but hopefully the author's next work will be better liked in Japan. Hopefully we'll get a confession and some romantic conclusion in the finale.
Here is the 2017 average TOC placement for Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. What I found most interesting here was the sheer number of 2 or 3 volume series taking place as opposed to the other monthly magazines. 15 series started during the year, and 2 of them already ended within 2017. Trickster was transferred in just to have its final chapter, and Gang King transferred in and out within the same year. Perfect attendance in all 12 issues goes to Shingeki, Aho Girl, Arslan, UQ Holder, Shougi, Tomodachi, Happiness, 29-sai, Buster, 100-man, Shourai, and Araburu. The most color pages went to Tomodachi, Katsute, Kimi ga Shinu and Araburu with 3 color pages each. Looking ahead to next year, it'll be interesting to see which of the newer series will make it past 2 or 3 volumes. There's a lot in hear that I don't follow, but Aho Girl and Rough Sketch Senpai will both greatly be missed! Here's to hoping BSM can find some success in its new series in 2018

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
The number of times Shingeki doesn't show up at the top should tell you everything about how Bessatsu ToC is created :p

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
The number of times Shingeki doesn't show up at the top should tell you everything about how Bessatsu ToC is created :p
Lol, I actually completely forgot this was Attack on Titan since I just got so used to seeing its Japanese name. The only rationale for this not getting One Piece/ Conan/Yowamushi Pedal treatment that I can think of is that they're just banking on the series being "too big to fail." It looks like a lot of their other series could use a push since a decent amount of the new-ish ones ended in 2 or 3 volumes. Would you say that beginning to rank a monthly series on its fourth issue (pre-rank issues 1 through 3) would be basically equivalent of starting ranking on issue 8 (pre-rank issues 1 through 7) in a weekly magazine? Going through this TOC is what made me realize the same rules of thumb used for weekly magazines probably aren't the best fit for monthly magazines lol.

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Lol, I actually completely forgot this was Attack on Titan since I just got so used to seeing its Japanese name.
This is probably the one magazine where I can never tell what's gonna be where every time I try to flip through it.

Would you say that beginning to rank a monthly series on its fourth issue (pre-rank issues 1 through 3) would be basically equivalent of starting ranking on issue 8 (pre-rank issues 1 through 7) in a weekly magazine?
I'd personally start counting from chap 3 to keep things consistent (8 weeks). At the end of the day, everything's just a rough speculation.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is probably the one magazine where I can never tell what's gonna be where every time I try to flip through it.

I'd personally start counting from chap 3 to keep things consistent (8 weeks). At the end of the day, everything's just a rough speculation.
That's definitely true. The TOC was almost always all over the place, it certainly made listing the data hectic, but it did make things interesting in a way. Weekly Shonen Magazine also probably had the greatest variety out of the weekly magazines that I did as well. That rationale makes sense for when to begin counting. How many chapters tend to be in a volume of a typical-chapter-page-length series of a monthly manga series versus a typical-chapter-page-length series of a weekly manga series?

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Shingeki no Kyojin : 24 volumes : 71 000 000.
Shingeki no Kyojin new chapter already out in english. 13 days before official out. Very weird period. Hacking for get early chapter.

Silverblade

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Really now. Just when you think think we have already reached the bottom

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Basically the same thing I posed on the WSM thread, but for Bessatsu:

Kodansha's MagaPocket mobile app has all of the Bessatsu series available for free after a roughly 2 month delay (there's some difference in release time between each series) The app allows each user to "favorite" the series to keep a personal bookmark.

The number of favorites each series gets is publicly shown, so I tried ranking the "Favorites" count as of January 13th.

MagaPocket Bessatsu Favorites Ranking (Jan. 13, 20x18)

1. Attack on Titan (28280)
  2. Sekai ka Kanojo ka (18484)
  3. Tomodachi Game (16640)
  4. Boku no Kanojo wa Saikou (14668)
  5. 100-man no Inochi (10595)
  6. Aho Girl (9080)
  7. Kimi ga Shinu Natsu ni (8390)
  8. UQ Holder (8135)
  9. FGO (7502)
  10. Alicia-san (7448)
  11. Shouraiteki ( 7388)
  12. Rough Sketch (7330)
  13. Arslan Senki (7097)
  14. Araburu Kisetsu (5427)
  15. Ijin Game (5258)
  16. 29-sai (5084)
  17. Katsute Kami datta 4755)
  18. Akazukin (4627)
  19. Happiness (3329)
  20. Tenjyu no Kuni 2408)
  21. Chibidora (1854)
  22. BUSTER DRESS 1535)
  23. Shogi no Watanabe-kun (1441)
  24. Tanoshii Tanoshi Shima (1234)
  25. Seishun Gaiden (1144)
  26. Chounouryoku Shojo (912)

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Shingeki no Kyojin Vol. 25 PV

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker

Season 3 will have 24 episodes according to Yonkou.

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
The Heroic Legend of Arslân : 9 volumes : 5 500 000.

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
100-man no Inochi collaboration with Irasutoya.com where they are releasing a free, "clip art" version of the latest volume 5.

and I though their last promotion was weird....

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha