Shounen - Chagecha by Yoshio Sawai | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Chagecha by Yoshio Sawai

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Quick heads up for those waiting for the scanslation of chp. 1: Jumpland (the international Jump site) will be having the first Chagecha chapter in the near future, professionally translated...and probably better than what I did with it. :P Currently to prep for it they also have the first Shinsetsu chapter...sort of made me wish they did this before this and Bakuman, at least to boost some other stuff out there. (then again, if they do something similar to Asklepios, what would they promote in preparation...Kain?...but on the other hand if they did this months ago, they could have had a combo of Mr. Full Swing/Bari Haken to help that out further.)

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well at least I'll get to read it soon.

.break

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
The art actually is pretty good, I notice a slight change as the story goes on. The art gets more refined and slightly better. Anyhow, despite it not being as pretty and refined as some of the other series, the art is great [then again, I consider most art that I can't personally match to be great].

Anyway, I've been working on a Edited Manga and the current status is that I finished cleaning all of the pages earlier this morning and most of the pages have been typesetted up to about 35-36, so the Edited Manga should be out later today--or, at the latest, tomorrow without complications.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks .break! it'll hopefully make for smoother reading than going from rawto trans constantly :D

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
The art actually is pretty good, I notice a slight change as the story goes on. The art gets more refined and slightly better. Anyhow, despite it not being as pretty and refined as some of the other series, the art is great [then again, I consider most art that I can't personally match to be great].

Anyway, I've been working on a Edited Manga and the current status is that I finished cleaning all of the pages earlier this morning and most of the pages have been typesetted up to about 35-36, so the Edited Manga should be out later today--or, at the latest, tomorrow without complications.
Great to hear that...I just hope it's out before chp. 2 is released this week.

In regarding "poop"...well Sawai likes using random scatology for his jokes but in a way that offends but not quite over the edge. That giant bun that Chagecha had when introduced reminded me at first spoiler of poop but cleared up when the chapter came out. And of course, through Softon and Heppokomaru, both poop and farts were running gags. (then again, I think the original Bo-bobo concept was going to be about Heppokomaru...well, a farting hero, but luckily he made the farter a supporter of the nosehair warrior)

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the original bobobo concept was Softon? or at least the one shot before it was that

Oni_James

Reaction score
Country
Catalonia
Quick heads up for those waiting for the scanslation of chp. 1: Jumpland (the international Jump site) will be having the first Chagecha chapter in the near future, professionally translated...and probably better than what I did with it. :P
don't say that StrangerAtaru:( you're a great translator also a great Bo-BoBo fan (it's hard to find people who can understand or at least like Sawai's masterpiece XD), and that's what makes your translations great, i specially like the comments:amuse
but yes, after all this, i suppose if their translation is profesional, they should be better:sweat
Currently to prep for it they also have the first Shinsetsu chapter...
they are doing the first Shinsetsu chapter??? that's great (going to download)^^ actually, i've entered now and there's something about Bo-bobo and Chagecha and it's written 9.30, i suppose that's the day they will upload the chapter...

sorry by this giant off topic :sweat but, now, any predictions about the next chapter of Chagecha? the first left me a first confused impresion about the series, so unique...:confused: XD

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i think they renamed gaoh in the online chapter of shinsetsu.

and it's sawai related so it's a bit on topic.

This new series is hard to predict events in so early, especially as it's sawai.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
sorry by this giant off topic :sweat but, now, any predictions about the next chapter of Chagecha? the first left me a first confused impresion about the series, so unique...:confused: XD
All I remember from the bottom caption was something involving "Yanjuku"...my guess is that since a lot of manga never really get started until chp. 3, this will just further introduce the world of Chagecha and we'll start seeing weird renditions of familiar spots in Gure-Tokyo. (like "Yanjuku" being some weird "Shinjuku" parody) I really don't expect Chagecha and Masato to really start in HS for another chapter or two...and if the series survives long enough, we won't see them directly facing Kabu for a while either.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
It'd be nice if Jumpland had mac support for it's manga browser. Damn Windows users...

But anyway...Am I the only one who enjoys Bobobo sometimes for the action? I actually thought the fight between Softon and J in the volume released by Viz was exciting. I was surprised.

And glad to hear the first chapter is getting scanlated since I can't read it off JUMPLAND *cough cough*

Yeah....I hate microsoft....

.break

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pyaw! I finally finished the Edited Manga...I myself haven't read it yet [especially since I did minimal typesetting] but I'm going to go read it now. :]

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice opening chapter. And this is officially the second manga of the year having someone smoke a piece of a tree. though unlike toriko we're talking the whole hog XD

ah gotta love sawai

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll probably read it later but I've noticed a lot of people are complaining about the art and the comedy...I guess you really have to be used to Sawai's style to even get this series. Personally I loved it but it's just not for everyone.

As for action sequences in Bo-bobo, he's good at some good combinations of comedy and action. Although it really isn't my favorite fight, I always thought that Heppokomaru/Katsu was rather tight. (most of Heppokomaru's fights are more serious than crazy but are also some of the weakest fights...his fight with Mugen Shuto is similar in that respect) And the Sangaria against Jeda the Wind God seems more action intense with a bit of comedy...even when Patchbobo shows up and starts stomping all over him. Ruby's a nice psychological fight as well considering the conditions involved in it. But most of the fights is mostly back and forth in weird attack vs. weird attack and that's why it's not really as known for them.

Edit: Jump currently has a chp. 2 image on their next issue page...I see a girl character but I sort of hope she's just a heroine and not...Beauty 2.

Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my god...what just happened? (Just read chapter 1)

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my god...what just happened? (Just read chapter 1)
Basics so you won't reread it (and so you can prepare for chp. 2):

-Gure-Tokyo is a secluded city run by "yankee" teen punks where they control everything and boss around or kick out the good people
-Chagecha lives in Gure-Tokyo but lived elsewhere for two years to visit his folks. Now all of a sudden not only is he back but he's fighting for the good people in town to protect them from the runamuck yankees.
-It's sort of hard to figure out his fighting style so far but a lot of it involves creating visualizations of what he wants to use and fighting with them...that and the Human Bike with the increase of circulation to use all his power.
-Masato = Heppokomaru type who both wants to be protected by Chagecha and fight for himself. Both go to Gekiatsu High.
-The president of the most powerful school in Gure-Tokyo, Kabu, seems to have a new plan to pretty much dump insufficient yankees and replace them with good people to torment.

I think that's all we have so far...

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By visualising or touching his organs or body parts he can empower them is what i gathered from it.

good stuff so far in

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
By visualising or touching his organs or body parts he can empower them is what i gathered from it.

good stuff so far in
He did visualize Poporou's head when he attacked the Dragon Ninja team at the start so my guess is there's a bit more to his style than we've been told.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basics so you won't reread it (and so you can prepare for chp. 2):

-Gure-Tokyo is a secluded city run by "yankee" teen punks where they control everything and boss around or kick out the good people
-Chagecha lives in Gure-Tokyo but lived elsewhere for two years to visit his folks. Now all of a sudden not only is he back but he's fighting for the good people in town to protect them from the runamuck yankees.
-It's sort of hard to figure out his fighting style so far but a lot of it involves creating visualizations of what he wants to use and fighting with them...that and the Human Bike with the increase of circulation to use all his power.
-Masato = Heppokomaru type who both wants to be protected by Chagecha and fight for himself. Both go to Gekiatsu High.
-The president of the most powerful school in Gure-Tokyo, Kabu, seems to have a new plan to pretty much dump insufficient yankees and replace them with good people to torment.

I think that's all we have so far...
I got that much but....just wow. I was so confused. It's like even more insane than Bobobo. @_@

I like how it actually has a plot though. Or seems to have more of one than Bobobo. I felt the randomness disorienting at first. Especially the first few pages.

But hey! Another akin to Fist of the North Star.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that the randomness with the Gure-Tokyo bit at the beginning was a bit of my own bad translating but some of it was more or less just Sawai being Sawai with the whole "flying yankees attacking fighter jets" and the train sequence.

As for the FoNS bit, I think that one of the best things Sawai has done off the bat with this series is seem to give us a definitive villain in Kabu. We never met Tsurulina the 4th until over fifty chapters into the original Bo-bobo and he pretty much a non-factor while many other villains stole his limelight until he pretty much gave up and retired. Kabu just seems to ooze out creepiness with his character design and the way he just literally controls the Yankees and everything in Gure-Tokyo even if he isn't the true leader of the city. Somehow if this series lasts a long time, I hope he evolves into a great villain character just like that ending.

Oni_James

Reaction score
Country
Catalonia
As for the FoNS bit, I think that one of the best things Sawai has done off the bat with this series is seem to give us a definitive villain in Kabu. We never met Tsurulina the 4th until over fifty chapters into the original Bo-bobo and he pretty much a non-factor while many other villains stole his limelight until he pretty much gave up and retired. Kabu just seems to ooze out creepiness with his character design and the way he just literally controls the Yankees and everything in Gure-Tokyo even if he isn't the true leader of the city. Somehow if this series lasts a long time, I hope he evolves into a great villain character just like that ending.
He sure seems to be a strong one, I expect he turns into a great villain too. ^^
But in Bo-bobo we saw lots of villains that after they were defeated they went to the bobobo-side, just temporaly
(Halekulani and the other villains vs the Reverse Maruhage)
or permanently (Tokoro Ten)
I think Sawai may try not to keep the same methods like when he did Bo-bobo (Villain, other villains, vs Great villains with the help of the ones he defeated before...)
May be Chagecha isn't going to keep that Bo-bobo pattern. Dunno...
What I know is that i want to see Chagecha's parents (he returned to Gure-Tokyo to see them, didn't he?) XD