Shounen Chagecha by Yoshio Sawai

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He sure seems to be a strong one, I expect he turns into a great villain too. ^^
But in Bo-bobo we saw lots of villains that after they were defeated they went to the bobobo-side, just temporaly
(Halekulani and the other villains vs the Reverse Maruhage)
or permanently (Tokoro Ten)
I think Sawai may try not to keep the same methods like when he did Bo-bobo (Villain, other villains, vs Great villains with the help of the ones he defeated before...)
May be Chagecha isn't going to keep that Bo-bobo pattern. Dunno...
What I know is that i want to see Chagecha's parents (he returned to Gure-Tokyo to see them, didn't he?) XD
Villains helping heroes is a traditional shonen archtype so I sort of understood why it happened in Bo-bobo.
Besides, Hydrate sort of invaded and that was more or less trying to protect it..but there are still those like Tennosuke, Dengaku Man, Torpedo Girl and even Hanpen.

Personally I think that we may get more meatier and threatening villains if Kabu's first appearance suggests anything. While I never read or saw FoNS, he does seem like someone who could fit as a Sawa-warped Raoh.


I don't know if this is a double post but the second chapter is out...as is my translation for chp. 2:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1036076

The beginning was really crazy (including another cameo by...) and the end was a tad predictable...but there's a lot of meat in the middle! Dang Sawai is really on the ball with his build-up this time around!
 
Last edited:

Oni_James

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
858
Reaction score
190
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Catalonia
I don't know if this is a double post but the second chapter is out...as is my translation for chp. 2:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1036076

The beginning was really crazy (including another cameo by...) and the end was a tad predictable...but there's a lot of meat in the middle! Dang Sawai is really on the ball with his build-up this time around!
It's not a double post, i don't know from when but in MH the double posts automerge, it's a great system. XD

Just saw the capter and read your translation. It seems Sawai is thinking of it as a long series, that's great:amuse
But Gekiatsu High
is at the bottom????? That leaves a long way to go to Chagecha and Masato.
It may be a little bit early but, any predictions? Having seen (all the anime) and read Bo-bobo (not all, because the manga hasn't finished publishing in my country yet), I think Sawai is going to put new characters in the next chapter. Like how he did with Bobobo, Beauty and then Don Patch.
May be it's too early for Chagecha because they seem to go well with only the two of them, but I think they might go to Gekiatsu High and find someone there
PS: lol at the reformed statue XD
 
Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think that next chapter we finally get to Gekiatsu High, since I mention that usually the important characters and important stuff don't get started until chp. 3 in a shonen (Don Patch in chp. 3 of Bo-bobo, Zoro first appeared in chp. 3 of One Piece, Sasuke and Sakura in chp. 3 of Naruto, etc...well OK, Orihime did appear before chp. 3 of Bleach but her importance didn't come in until that chapter) Considering Kabu annihilated the old school, we're going to see where the new Gekiatsu is in the next chapter and at least probably meet someone or something who becomes Chagecha and Masato's next ally. The problem is wondering who exactly goes there with essentially their reputation and their power wiped out with the Eiffel Tower destroying their last leader.

I also sort of hope Sawai does get a bit more into the concept of "Yanki" but so far he has a good job explaining what we've needed to know with it so far. But I do wonder: is it more or less a power source akin to ki/chakra/nen...or is it more "danger power" akin to One Piece's "haki"?
 

.break

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bwaha~! I've released chapter 2! This manga's so awesome...I don't understand how people dislike it for the art...it's either getting better or I'm growing a larger tolerance/starting to love it more.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm debating on whether I translated the part where he called all the cooked Gekiatsu students "Fuji Yanki" (with the "yanki" being something like "baked Fuji"), but I guess it's a tad late to fix that now. Other than that you did bring out the chapter...and even the racism at the very end with the Brazillians :p

Though somehow I should have made a note on that Don Patch statue.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh my god...this is the most disorienting manga I've ever read. i love it.
 

spoonbob

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, Chagecha has definitely grown on me too. I loved the whole of that second chapter, and though I didn't really understand parts of the first chapter (I haven't read it outside of the typesetting I did), that train sequence was hilarious.

That and the Backhand of Sadness.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still think I screwed up the train sequence (well prior to the Dragon Knights) but probably due to being thrown into in the middle of action.

BTW: silly thought: after seeing Chagecha with a cigar in the last chapter, I just had a weird deja vu. Is he supposed to be a charicature of...Groucho Marx? (he just looks like him at some angles)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Good god i can actually see that! that's........... incredibly disturbing!
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Reminded me of Toriko. =P
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Reminded me of Toriko. =P
I admit to not reading Toriko but somehow both have a similar vibe: a powerful warrior with bizarre tendancies but ultimately fighting in a more dramatic world. I wouldn't be surprised if both Shimabukuro and Sawai working together as assistants was true.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think randal refers more to them both smoking trees (though toriko smokes far less of a tree). its almost like a nod to each other
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, I was actually. But either way. XD
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Read the first two chapters today. Crazy! Really crazy! But fun. I don't find too many things funny yet but I hope that as I read more of this series I can better understand Sawai's humor, because I know folk who've found Bobobo absolutely hilarious.

Thanks for your translations stranger!
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Read the first two chapters today. Crazy! Really crazy! But fun. I don't find too many things funny yet but I hope that as I read more of this series I can better understand Sawai's humor, because I know folk who've found Bobobo absolutely hilarious.

Thanks for your translations stranger!
From what I've noticed, Sawai seems to be using his randomness moreso to develop this world than to actually drive the story. With all going on so far I think it's more an action series with a lot of comedy than a comedy with a lot of action.


Chapter's out on Raw-Paradise...and my script is complete:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044920

I think somehow Himawari is who I dub the "anti-Beauty"...I hope she stays that way after this chapter though! Oh...and who knew UFO-Catcher toys could go across the entire Pacific! Overall, a fun chapter but the villain went a bit too fast for me.
 
Last edited:

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Great chapter! I love all the random weird-ass creatures Sawai just throws into the mix, like the freakin' weird puff-lady who has a crush on Chagecha. Plus, the fights and characters in general are brilliant. Who the hell fights with a bowling ball attached to a cellphone?!

Very good stuff :)

Thanks for the quick translation Stranger!
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Great chapter! I love all the random weird-ass creatures Sawai just throws into the mix, like the freakin' weird puff-lady who has a crush on Chagecha. Plus, the fights and characters in general are brilliant. Who the hell fights with a bowling ball attached to a cellphone?!

Very good stuff :)

Thanks for the quick translation Stranger!
Looking over some stuff again, I think the only bit of wasted potential was showing off the villain's "finger zapping" technique which sends the other Yankee...to a perfect score on a music game...only to have this guy fall to his obvious weakness. (then again on second look, he did try it on Himawari but Chagecha just got him in the nick of time) Other than that I loved Himawari's "cell phone charm" attack and am intrigued by the two new Gekiatsu students that appeared as well.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haha, yes! The 107th year student or whatever it was :P
I think it was 108 years...but yeah, he's our "seven years of college down the drain" guy so far. (thank you Mr. Blutarsky)
 

Oni_James

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
858
Reaction score
190
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Catalonia
I think it was 108 years...but yeah, he's our "seven years of college down the drain" guy so far. (thank you Mr. Blutarsky)
And he wears a tiger mask XD but don't forget the "???" guy he may be in second year but he seems powerful, this leaves the group of 5 people? Will they stay as Don Patch and Tokoro Ten? Or will they be like Softon and Hatenko: they come, they do something and they leave the group?
This series girl's name is sure strange, Kawai Himawari XD but she seems strong
 
Top