Theory - Connie's Village | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Connie's Village

sNkAoT

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
MANGA ONLY!!!
So I reread the whole manga these past two days and caught a few things that I didnt catch the first go around. The first and most interesting is about Connie's village. I will start off with the facts:
1) No confirmed deaths... Everyone stated how there wasnt even a drop of blood in the
whole village.
2) The village was destroyed...
3) The horses were all still in the stable... This leads one of the soldiers to speculate on how
everyone got away if the horses are all still there. SnK fact is a human can't outrun titan.
4) Connie believed that it was his mother on top of his house in a deformed titan form.
5) There was no breach in the wall... This had lead to speculation that the titans came from
within the wall and were made by the Ape titan.

So here goes my theory...
The entire village was destroyed but there was no sign of humans or human death anywhere. We have learned that titans cause destruction but only when hunting humans. Well than why is the village destroyed if there are no deaths? You would think that in the commotion of a titan attack that a few humans would manage to escape and make it to the horses but all the horses were still in the stable. I believe that the Ape titan in human form came to the village under false pretenses (maybe as a doctor) and administered the titan serum to all the villagers. This explains why there are no deaths in the village and no signs of anyone trying to escape. What person has the clout to go and administer a vaccine to the villagers? A very well known doctor and we all know who that is... Grisha Jaeger. People trust him and would have no problem taking a "vaccine" from him. Ive read all the comments and speculation that he is the ape titan but I never bought into any of it until now. They are similar in appearance and there is one other thing I noticed thats only specific to him and Eren. In titan form they both have pointy ears. Never mind on the ear thing... I just looked up Ymir's titan form and she has them too. Still that's only three characters with ears like that. As for him being a villain now, I believe that it has to do with memory loss or a reeducation of some sorts. First time posting. Let me know what you guys think. If you guys like this theory I will share some other thoughts.

ImmortalZodd

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
The fact that people from Connie's village were transformed by ape titan in one way or another was practically thrown at our faces, considering how subtle the author usually is.

But no, no no no NO!, Grisha is not the Ape titan.

I don't see any facial resemblance, nor did he know about 3DM. Also it didn't have to be a doctor, we still don't know the means in which he transformed the people. Maybe it was by air, or by water supply. (maybe even simply on command?)

edit: welcome to the forums ;)

dustofoblivion

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The fact that people from Connie's village were transformed by ape titan in one way or another was practically thrown at our faces, considering how subtle the author usually is.

But no, no no no NO!, Grisha is not the Ape titan.

I don't see any facial resemblance, nor did he know about 3DM. Also it didn't have to be a doctor, we still don't know the means in which he transformed the people. Maybe it was by air, or by water supply. (maybe even simply on command?)

edit: welcome to the forums ;)
I second all of this. It's obvious that the people in Connie's village were tured into Titans by the 'ape' titan somehow. But like it's also been said, Eren's father was familar with what's going within the walls, whereas the ape-looking titan acted like it either had never been there before or hadn't been there in a long time. Wherever Eren's father is and regardless of what he is, there's no way he is that titan.

sNkAoT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome Zodd!! :super I never believed the hype around Grisha=Ape but I couldnt wrap my head around how the Ape Titan could change an entire village without any casualties or anyone escaping. This was my only logical answer. As for changing them by air is possible, water supply would have taken too long. I was going by the assumption that all we know of anyone changing is by an injected serum. The Ape titan not knowing about the 3DMG can be explained by memory loss. I agree with this theory being a long shot but I figured I'd get it out there. Anybody have any ideas on how the Ape titan is able to change an entire village into titans with virtually no sign of struggle?

ImmortalZodd

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Maybe emitting steam from his body carries the 'transformation' agent.

Huesoman

Reaction score
Country
Peru
MANGA ONLY!!!So here goes my theory...
I believe that the Ape titan in human form came to the village under false pretenses (maybe as a doctor) and administered the titan serum to all the villagers. This explains why there are no deaths in the village and no signs of anyone trying to escape. What person has the clout to go and administer a vaccine to the villagers? A very well known doctor and we all know who that is... Grisha Jaeger. People trust him and would have no problem taking a "vaccine" from him...As for him being a villain now, I believe that it has to do with memory loss or a reeducation of some sorts...If you guys like this theory I will share some other thoughts.
That was brilliant :hi. I always thought the ape is a wellknown character, I have 2 candidates: Grisha and Rivaille (Levi), but it is hard to sustain the hypothesis due to the ape not knowing about the 3D manouver nor about humans knowledge about what is on the nape of the neck; but now, you has started an interesting discussion, and Grisha rised up as my lead suspect :tem. You know, now that I think of it, you don't need the "memory loss" argument, if I remember correctly, common people, I mean farmers, workers and so on, know almost nothing about titans NOR about the equipment used by soldiers in combat (goverment's zero transparecy policy), that would explain why Grisha is unaware about the 3D manouver and didn't know that soldiers known already what lies in titans' nape of the neck.
Now, you say if we like your theory you will share other thoughts, don't worry, I will wait :3c.

Last edited:

SarcasticIndeed

Reaction score
Country
Montenegro
How could Grisha have been known enough to be a familiar doctor to everyone? Literally, anyone could pose as a doctor, I do not see why it would be him. However, you do raise a point about the Ape Titan probably not acting in his titan form to transform everyone in the village. He probably did it either in the human form (as you said) or he spread the titan disease by means of air/water/steam/whatever you call it. Also, I doubt Grisha was not educated about the weapons against titans used within the walls, titan seem to be his specialty. A memory loss is a possible explanation, but I still have my doubts. You have to notice that Eren hasn't lost any memory of his life during the titan transformation while he is in control. We know Ape titan was in control of himself, probably more than your usual shifter.

sNkAoT

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was brilliant :hi. I always thought the ape is a wellknown character, I have 2 candidates: Grisha and Rivaille (Levi), but it is hard to sustain the hypothesis due to the ape not knowing about the 3D manouver nor about humans knowledge about what is on the nape of the neck; but now, you has started an interesting discussion, and Grisha rised up as my lead suspect :tem. You know, now that I think of it, you don't need the "memory loss" argument, if I remember correctly, common people, I mean farmers, workers and so on, know almost nothing about titans NOR about the equipment used by soldiers in combat (goverment's zero transparecy policy), that would explain why Grisha is unaware about the 3D manouver and didn't know that soldiers known already what lies in titans' nape of the neck.
Now, you say if we like your theory you will share other thoughts, don't worry, I will wait :3c.

Thanks!! Lets see if it will come to fruition. Grisha had to have known about the 3DMG. He was good friends with Hannes, the guy who trained all the new recruits even said "Grisha your son has become a soldier" or something along those lines. Also Grisha strikes me as someone who has a lot of influence, he knows a lot of secrets so the chances of him not knowing about the 3DMG are 0. As for the Ape titan not knowing about the 3DMG I believe it's bc of memory loss. Every titan shifter that we have encountered has suffered from some sort of memory loss. It's not that far fetched to think that Grisha experimented on himself and is no suffering from extreme memory loss. Better yet what if he was captured by the Warriors faction and brain washed into joining them. It could be a whole other faction besides the Warriors. We know that Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie were sent on a mission to destroy the walls all infiltrate the military. This happened 5 years ago (I believe it was 5, may be off by a year) In those 5 years we know that neither of these 3 have had any contact with anyone from their village. This is also in the same time span that Grisha has gone missing. It's not unrealistic to believe that Grisha was captured/brain washed during this period and that's why they do not know of the Ape titan yet they are in the belief that he is the key to get back to their village. I also think that the warrior faction is bad. My reasons are because in these last few issues Reiner and Bertholt have seem remorseful and unsure of their actions. What they do know is that they are Warriors and they must complete their mission. The Ape titan is a villain, this falls in line with RBA original line of thinking. It wasn't until after they spent time with the people behind the wall that they began to have these conflicting feelings. The whole key behind my theory Ape titan=Ghrisa is that there was sign no of tampering in Connie's village. Someone changed the villagers very swiftly and covertly. If the villagers saw a giant Ape titan they would run in panic. Not a single person escaped. This tells me that the villagers had their guard down and felt safe.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

@SarasticIndeed you're right, anyone can pose as a doctor but would you trust anyone just coming up to claiming they are a doctor? The reason I say its Grisha it's because he is a famous doctor that saved everyone from a plague. If he comes up to saying that you must take this vaccine, what would you say?
Eren has no recollection of Ghrisa experimenting on him. That is a pretty important chunk of his life. This is why he must go to the basement.

Last edited:

SarcasticIndeed

Reaction score
Country
Montenegro
Forgot the plague part... Hmmmm, I guess it is possible. What if the plague was the key for inserting the titan virus in you? I doubt it is a detail to be overlooked, like I just did.

Huesoman

Reaction score
Country
Peru
You're right, Grisha knows Hannes, I forgot that, I think I pushed it a little too far :xp, now to push it farther: maybe Grisha didn't saw him (never) wearing the 3DMG :3c. Back to reality, I also tought about the brainwash hypothesis, it could be true, it is just that the ape looks too "normal" in the sense that he looks like being in complete control of himself and I imagined a brainwashed person acting like a zombie :derp. About warriors being the bad guys I just had a crazy idea that will post in the ape titan thread, but in brief: there are just 2 factions, warriors (good) and walliest (bad), I will explain it in the ape titan thread :). Also, I don't think R&B think the ape is the key to return to their hometown, that was what Ymir guessed, not that they mentioned it. Finally, yes, Connie's village people were "transformed" without conflict, so "somebody lured them" is the best hypothesis I read so far on the matter.:verily.

sNkAoT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Forgot the plague part... Hmmmm, I guess it is possible. What if the plague was the key for inserting the titan virus in you? I doubt it is a detail to be overlooked, like I just did.
Great observation!! This thought had occurred to me when SnK first started. I thought the titan virus was essentially a plague. Much like the zombie virus in some of the movies but instead of a zombie you become a titan. Maybe the people in the wall are all people who had an immunity to the virus and thats why they never turned. What if the plague that happened within the walls was the basis for Grisha gathering samples and developing his own titan serum.
@Huesoman when I say "brain washed" I mean for someone to be forced into someone else's way of thinking. For example if you were to become brain washed it wouldn't change how in control of yourself you are but your entire mind set. You could be brain washed into thinking your mother is a stranger. This is why Ape titan is so in control.

mikasaaa

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Maybe these people were already infected with the 'titan disease' and the Ape Titan somehow triggered it when he passed by their village?

sNkAoT

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe these people were already infected with the 'titan disease' and the Ape Titan somehow triggered it when he passed by their village?
This is a definite possibility but my only problem with this is when and how were they infected? The village was within the wall and as far as we know it wasnt Reiner, Bert or Annie. They would have had to been infected during the breach of Wall Rose by an unknown character. The only other probability is that all humans are carriers of the titan virus and just need activation bye the Ape Titan. I find this highly unlikely. If this was the case why didnt he just turn all the villagers into titans. He seems to be highly intelligent so he would know the difference between villagers and soldiers so why leave some of the villagers to flee? The more I think about it the more likely it seems that the villagers were turned of their own free will under false pretenses.

mikasaaa

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
The only other probability is that all humans are carriers of the titan virus and just need activation bye the Ape Titan. I find this highly unlikely. If this was the case why didnt he just turn all the villagers into titans. He seems to be highly intelligent so he would know the difference between villagers and soldiers so why leave some of the villagers to flee? The more I think about it the more likely it seems that the villagers were turned of their own free will under false pretenses.
Yeah, it's highly unlikely, but you know how Isayama works haha. Maybe the villagers were turned into titans because they were in the Ape Titan's way and that's it… hopefully we'll get some answers soon.

SarcasticIndeed

Reaction score
Country
Montenegro
Well, the plague itself could be the disease. Grisha didn't cure it. He just made it dormant, to be triggered whenever he wants.