Art DGM Volume Covers Thread

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
Beautiful cover page. It would be better if only there's a bit more background detail.

Pretty! I wonder if Hoshino is going to continue the trend of white-background covers from now on.
I had the same thought. If so, quite pity IMO coz DGM color background were quite awesome.
 
Last edited:

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Wow, when did Kanda become such a beautiful woman?

...I mean.

I guess it's an okay cover? The only thought I have about it is a cry of frustration that Allen's arm is purple... again.

Yeah but... Allen and Kanda, the most popular het ship in DGM. *trolls*
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Its a pretty well coloured cover, but I have some complaints:

- First of all, ever since Hoshino started serializing the series in SQ, its like all her colour pages look the same (white background, same colours, etc...)
- I'm kind of tired seeing purple and light colours being used. Why can't we have awesome colours like the ones used in Timothy's cover, the Science Division's cover, etc..?
- Again, the white background is just way too plain...
- The cover seems to be missing something. That, and Allen is unecessary on it.
 

ying_su

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
950
Reaction score
351
Country
Winterfell
@CrudeCross:
You're looking at it from the wrong side:
-She does pretty colors always.
-We're lucky she's a good artist since she actually did covers as the Thimothy one (although i dont like this that much)
-The white background is plain and she sure want it to be like that: there are a lot of covers in DGM with this plain white: IT'S HER STYLE.
-How can you say you're tired of the colors? That's the same that saying you dont like it ;) The color are great and crazy. xDD

In the previous kanda cover (vol2) he was with that "misterious person" that's probably Zhu from Asia Branch (i'm not sure, was this his name? The guy that told Kanda to never mention the flowers). He's an important person to Kanda (he went to talk to him when this arc started)
In this cover, his place is occupied by Allen: that means is Allen the most important person for Kanda, even if they are always fighting each other.
:)
 
Last edited:

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
@CrudeCross:
I think someone mentioned it that Allen's in the cover coz in this arc, the Earl and the Noah are here to celebrate his exposure from Black Order.
 

Deleted member 55936

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Wow, Beautiful! Is a good color.
I want to buy right now. : )
 

Zibi234

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 11, 2008
Messages
2,445
Reaction score
1,679
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
@CrudeCross:
I think someone mentioned it that Allen's in the cover coz in this arc, the Earl and the Noah are here to celebrate his exposure from Black Order.
I guess you mean "expulsion" ^^

but still this arc. does not have much of allen... so its hard to tell why he was placed on this volume cover..... in my opinion Alma should be there too as its generally him and kanda story and not allen (who appears only like in 1chapter on few pages...[and few panels in some other chapters)

so it would be better in my opinion if this volume cover had at least alma in it (like alma,kanda and allen in background)


well we can look on it under the skin... and so we would see that allen was taken to the NA branch due noah ect. but still Earl main plan was to awaken Alma (allen is just a bonus there)
 

Tick

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
60
Reaction score
40
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, Allen is possessed by the 14th right on the beginning of the volume, and he watched the whole flashback, so I guess i'ts normal to be on the cover.
But I don't really like the white background, I mean, I think this cover could be a little better, maybe with Alma and etc. (nothing against the white backgrounds, I like them, but not this time)
Although my favorite cover it's still the volume 10.
 

PiggyBank

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
54
Reaction score
13
Gender
Hidden
Country
Finland
Kanda is wearing a rosary and the Buddhist bracelet (at least I think someone mentioned somewhere that it was Buddhist.. I'm ignorant). It's interesting how "accessories" from different religions can be randomly thrown in together.

Anyway, the rosary combined with the uniforms and the position of the two of them is... kinky :p
I must have a very dirty mind! or this cover is simply obscene
:D
 

yukilove21

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
362
Reaction score
221
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
United States
@CrudeCross:
In this cover, his place is occupied by Allen: that means is Allen the most important person for Kanda, even if they are always fighting each other.
:)
You should be happy that you just put Idea's in my head. But you have a point.

I personally am in LOVE with this cover. (Mostly cause I am a hardcore Yullen fan.) I mean, not only the color scheme, but everything. The drawing of it, and the people *Drools* But seriously, am I like the only Yullen fan here? I doubt that. I also think while it would be cool to see Alma on a cover, I think it's better to have Allen, cause remember the 14th and what he said "I will kill you and become the M. Earl (To lazy to type the first part...)" That could be one reason (I still love that moment.) Another, could be because Allen is inside Kanda's memories.
Hell, it could even be that Hoshino likes Yullen! (I wonder if someone has asked her that before...) (I would be happy if she did...) But I doubt that...

But people, stop your complaining! It is still a beautiful cover no matter what and you know that!! (I am very sorry for being mean.)
 

ying_su

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
950
Reaction score
351
Country
Winterfell
Hell, it could even be that Hoshino likes Yullen! (I wonder if someone has asked her that before...) (I would be happy if she did...) But I doubt that...
More than Hoshino likes Yullen (but it can be^^) it's fans that like Yullen and they asked her to draw both in the cover.
xDDDDDDD

(Another Yullen fan :D)
 

relory

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
624
Gender
Female
Country
Norway
I'm not a Yullen fan (I just don't find it appealing lol sorry! xD) but I absolutely love this cover too!! :D

The colour scheme is brilliant - I love the blue colour (it's not.. too blue.. you know? :p it's natural and fits in.. or something.. sometimes it's hard to find the right English words, right? :notrust I'm not the only one who constantly has this problem, RIGHT!? :s

I want Kanda's jewellry and Timcampi looks... delicious :gigglebunny
 

yukilove21

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
362
Reaction score
221
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
United States
More than Hoshino likes Yullen (but it can be^^) it's fans that like Yullen and they asked her to draw both in the cover.
xDDDDDDD

(Another Yullen fan :D)
Ah, true, But it would be so awesome if she did!!! (Yay for Yullen fans!! *Glomps*)
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Okay, so that everyone else minus you guys does not throw a hissy fit, let's not get into a pairings discussion. AKA no "Hoshino likes xyz". No comment on fans forcing the mangaka, cause even if it was in support of my fav pairing, I'd still feel sick that they have no appreciation for the story and art.

Look, we have 6 chapters (189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194) in this and only 2 of them have major Allen appearances, the second only having 25 pages. That is not the same as Alma and Kanda who had appearances in all of the chapters. Allen was just not a major character in this latest set of chapters. In previous volumes, the covers have had the dominant characters on them and/or symbolism. This has neither. I can only conclude that this cover was drawn to increase attention to DGM. Sadly, it only makes me sick to my stomach. I really hope Hoshino knows that she is pulling the trigger to her traditional fans.

Simple review: Kanda's great. Timcampy's great. The color scheme's great. Allen is not (find a more unflattering pose for him to prove me wrong.)
 

ying_su

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
950
Reaction score
351
Country
Winterfell
I didnt mean the fans, but the magazine. <-And i never said i like this. But it's what we have. (Also, sure Allen isn't there for nothing)

A traditional fan it's me: i dont like lenaxallen pairing, i dont usually read dgm doujinshis or similar, but 2 characters together can do something great (there are a lot of great friends couples in the literature/media story): Kanda and Allen are a great couple (not sexual considerations here) they fight each other but fight together: they share dark pass and traumas and the two of them know about the other. I think this is great: their relationship is an important corner in this manga so: why not share a cover? how many volume covers do they share? (Kanda has 3 covers now) This one it's good: two fighters that have a break.

(Actually, Allen has appeared only in 4 covers of 20 volumes and it's the main character! xD)
 
Last edited:

MSofAofCOCA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
664
Gender
Female
Country
United States
also, remember: there's not much Alma she can show because he's still mysterious looks wise. If she settled on old!Kanda, she probably wasn't going to put little!Alma, and old Alma only just got revealed (and i'm talking about his ch194 looks, not what he looked like when he was sealed in the floor. Logically, if she was gonna put Alma, it would be his recently revealed form. But that would be major spoilers, and would limit anything else she could put on the cover. so.....second main character after Alma is.....allen? so yeah. that's my reasoning atleast xD
 

ying_su

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
950
Reaction score
351
Country
Winterfell
Thanks!!!
What's the meaning of "alternative" here?
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think you can use that cover instead of the original one. You just place the alternative cover over the other one, I think.
 

ying_su

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2008
Messages
950
Reaction score
351
Country
Winterfell
But you buy the manga with both? Or it actually works like in some magazines specials were you can choose the cover you prefer?
:)
 
Top