Art DGM Volume Covers Thread

aorin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
106
Reaction score
374
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Oh god... I love you right now, Aorin... Although my heart is breaking.
Say no more, my heart is crushed too. So are the two translators who did the translation for Chapter 193.5 T_T I can understand why some of the people on 2ch ended up crying now, including the one who gave us the spoilers earlier.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Oh wow. I would prefer that 194 never existed too just see more of the aftermath. It is heart-wrenching. Just finished typing a one-shot of Fo's POV on their deaths inspired by this and "The Crane Dance" by Einaudi. Will proof it in a day, but this was wrenching.

Oh, and the Kanda & Alma page should've been the cover. It really should've.
 

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
Can anyone translate Edgar, Touyi and Zuu's profile?:)
Chp 193.5 is really sad.T_T Edgar and Touyi, I'm glad Hoshino sensei introduce them even though they are dead. Fou's crying.T_T
 

aorin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
106
Reaction score
374
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Oh wow. I would prefer that 194 never existed too just see more of the aftermath. It is heart-wrenching. Just finished typing a one-shot of Fo's POV on their deaths inspired by this and "The Crane Dance" by Einaudi. Will proof it in a day, but this was wrenching.

Oh, and the Kanda & Alma page should've been the cover. It really should've.
Yeah, it would have been nice if this was included into Chapter 194 (after all, 194 is so short). I was hoping for some reaction from Bak since we've never seen him interact directly with his parents and I wanted to see how he was in the aftermath. Still, this little short chapter is beautiful too and I'm glad Hoshino did show us a little of the aftermath (despite how short it is)

It's great to hear that you've completed the one-shot, hopefully you'll share it once it's up.

Can anyone translate Edgar, Touyi and Zuu's profile?:)
It has been translated here. Updated Edgar's profile a little after comparing the text with the actual.

One thing that I find quite peculiar is Touyi's words, 'Promise you won't protect us, no matter what it leads to. It's what all of us in the research facility want.' It's almost like all the scientists involved in the 'Second Apostle Project' were welcoming death. I feel like this comes to show that they are all reluctant participants in this project and they are actually relieved that it has finally come to an end.

But then again, if they all agreed to accept the consequences, why did Touyi chose to let Renee go? In the final panel, there's a crack on the wall and I assume that Renee escaped through there with Touyi's help.

Though, this explains why Bak was so upset about the Thirds. His parents' sacrifice will mean nothing if they continue with those human experiments T_T

Edit: And I was wondering what is that little detail that kept on slipping my mind ever since this morning. It was revealed in Volume 20 that Volume 21 will be released in November this year. Which means, that's another 5 months to go D:
 
Last edited:

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
oh my, Edgar and Touyi really are Bak's parent.^_^
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
November? D:

At least we don't have to wait six months again... But this still feels considerably slow. Hopefully Hoshino gets back in the game soon and starts making 40-page chapters so she can release a volume every four months (like Tegami Bachi or Fullmetal Alchemist).
 

relory

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
624
Gender
Female
Country
Norway
All I really want to say is: Thank you so much, Hoshino!!
I'm definitly pleased with this. Funny omake, heart-breaking extra and really interesting info! Waiting 20 more days already feels less painful :p

I must say that the last chapters have been simply wonderful, the story and plot-development is amazing! Dare I say Hoshino probably is the best shounen-mangaka artist together with Oda-san out there nowadays? her lines are simply beautiful! Sorry for fangirling a little here, I'm just awestruck I guess! :D
 

MSofAofCOCA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
664
Gender
Female
Country
United States
IDK if anyone actually saw this little detail, but not only are Edgar and Touyi next to each other, but they are also holding hands ;-;
geez, this is so sad =*(

but i wonder........In 192, Touyi told Fou to keep Edgar out, so....how did Alma get to kill Edgar?

PS: Central is a @##&%&!!!! Sorry Fou, no such luck >=(
 

Aurora

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
34
Gender
Female
Country
Greece
^ Touyi told Fou to keep Bak out, not Edgar.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I don't get Renee at all. She was the sole survivor of the massacre, but yet she insisted on the Third Exorcist Project anyway. And now look at what's happening - Alma's killing people again.

She better learn her lesson this time around. The Black Order might not be able to survive Fourth Exorcists...
 

klandmon

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
AORIN THANKS FOR SHARING
I LOVE THIS VOLUME
well, the cover... don´t like me but the information in it is great!!
 
Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I don't get Renee at all. She was the sole survivor of the massacre, but yet she insisted on the Third Exorcist Project anyway. And now look at what's happening - Alma's killing people again.

She better learn her lesson this time around. The Black Order might not be able to survive Fourth Exorcists...
Maybe she wanted to bring honor back to her family name? That is the only reason I could think of why she would want to work on the Third Exorcist Project.

Anyway, thanks for the volume info! It's was very touching and bittersweet to see Bak's parents holding hands for one last time. T_T
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
jaymie: No, you're wrong. She was forced, just like Twi and Edgar, to do the Thirds. Leverrier was the one who created the Third Exorcist plan and pushed it onto Renee. She probably reassured herself that it wouldn't end up badly because Alma was in a deep slumber and the Thirds were volunteers. That's understandable. I don't think any of the Order imagined that the Earl knew of Alma's existence and that he would bring him back.

I feel real badly for Renee. She annoyed me at first cause she seemed like a stereotype of blonde woman scientists and was drawn like a female impersonator.
 

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
jaymie: No, you're wrong. She was forced, just like Twi and Edgar, to do the Thirds. Leverrier was the one who created the Third Exorcist plan and pushed it onto Renee. She probably reassured herself that it wouldn't end up badly because Alma was in a deep slumber and the Thirds were volunteers. That's understandable. I don't think any of the Order imagined that the Earl knew of Alma's existence and that he would bring him back.

I feel real badly for Renee. She annoyed me at first cause she seemed like a stereotype of blonde woman scientists and was drawn like a female impersonator.
She got some explanation on why she's involve in the third project in chp 185 if I'm not mistaken.
 

aorin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
106
Reaction score
374
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
@earthforge: Bak seems to believe that Renee was forced to work on the Third Exorcist project (considering how he was going to charge to the Central until Fou sat on him) but I'm not too sure about Renee though. In Chapter 185, she didn't seem all that reluctant and unhappy about it and when Bak asked her why did she do it, she told him that the previous attack on the headquarters made her realise that in order for humans to prevail over Akuma, some sacrifices are necessary, which seem to echo the ideas of Leverrier.

Then again, Bak and Renee were the ones who sealed away the Order's dark legacy, so I guess she just had a changed of heart ever since. However, I do believe that Renee meant well when she took on the Thirds project, the Crows were volunteers after all and she certainly didn't expect the consequences to be so severe.

Come to think of it, how did the Earl know about Alma anyway? Legory Peck mentioned that those who have reached the level of Section Chief ought to have an idea of it. So that would mean that the newbies, younger recruits and lower level staff wouldn't know and only those in the higher level has knowledge of it. A traitor somewhere? Or is the Earl really that well-informed?
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
aorin: Renee's design was substantially changed in the volume. When the chapter came out, she was designed to be indifferent to it. In the volume, she's more conflicted as she repeats those words. (I think Hoshino radically changed the character over the hiatus, otherwise I would agree with you.)

Indeed. Who ever would expect that Alma, who was so deep in a coma that even Wisely couldn't wake up at first and had to use an indirect method, would ever wake up again?

Also, remember Road knew about Kanda's "that person". The Earl seems to have a lot of knowledge about the Order, even about the sex life of an exorcist who died over 10 years ago (Kanda's brain). I am stumped.
 

MSofAofCOCA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
664
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ah~ In chapter 185 (http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/185/02/) does anyone notice how uh....richly Renee is dressed? that was the first thing i noticed when that chapter came out. I mean, she's wearing leather, fur and precious stones. She's a scientist, and i don't believe they get paid directly (money may or may not go to ppl's family), but she suddenly looks really rich....
I also remember when the 4th akuma attacked, she had an out righ look of horror on her face....so i think it wouldn't take too much of leverrier's energy to coax her into continuing with the project (plus, she said that she like Leverrier more than Bak). Like someone said, she was the only survivor who knew of process of making 2nds, so she would be the only one able to lead 3rd project...

I also went and reread chapters of Ark Arc, and realized that Jasdebi also knew of Bookman clan, and provided they're like, 17/18 years old, Bookman clan probably worked with Earl a few years back. Kinda worried if Bookman Sr. is a spy, since we know he is much more neutral than Lavi....or if the Bookman before Bookman was with the Noah. Then, we also have possible brokers with in the order that may be leaking information. Heck, knowing that Cyrill is a governer, it's possible that Central/Branches are accidentaly leaking information unaware that they are leaking it to Noah.

Uh....should this be moved to Prediction thread, since it's kindaoff topic? >.<''
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Well, we all know that the Earl's human form is a high-ranking British aristocrat, and that someone from Central murdered Cross. I think it's quite possible that the Earl or one of the Noah (Mightra or Lulu, probably) are directly involved with Central.

Either that or there's a broker involved. I doubt a broker would be in the Order, but there's definitely someone in Central leaking info to the Earl. Remember the files of Allen and Cross that the Earl had?
 

aorin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
106
Reaction score
374
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
^ I did a little comparison for D.Gray-man first week sales and it is as follows:
Volume 18 (Timothy cover): 300,630
Volume 19 (Allen, Tyki, Road): 244,049
Volume 20 (Kanda, Allen): 241,360

Okay, what's going on here? D8

@earthforge: I would like to believe she's conflicted as well but she's also equally determined to do something about the situation rather than sit back and take the next blow (though she probably didn't expect to make the situation worse than it is). Between Bak and Renee, I would say that Bak is more idealistic and soft-hearted while Renee is much more down-to-earth; their approach pretty much reflect their parents'.

MSofAofCOCA: For some reason, I always believed that the more influential families, like the Chang, Epstein, Leverrier are considerably rich. Their families have been around for so long and most of them held high positions, surely they receive some sort of funds for their services. In the first novel (Bak's story), Komui did mention that he was able to increase his research funds due to his position (and we all know what does Komui uses it for), so it wouldn't be strange if Renee uses it for other purposes. Besides, I always thought Bak is more vain cause he has a change of attire every now and then and more frequently than others, certainly more than Komui XD

As for the Earl, I do suspect that he has some contacts within the Order and Central (and from how he's easily able to obtain old and confidential information, it's probably someone of a high rank). He might not want to completely annihilate them yet but surely he keeps an eye on them, and with so many Akuma (that can take human form) in his service, I think it's rather easy for him to send a spy. Doug from the novel became an Akuma and he still managed to get pass their radar, similarly for Lulubell later.
 
Last edited:
Top