Didn't Zoro lost to Eneru? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Didn't Zoro lost to Eneru?

Sodom_Child

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
I've been reading One Piece manga lately (still not up to date, because manga traders is down:( ) and I have some problems with understanding Zoro. After the fight with Mihawk he said that he will never again lose to anyone and I think that he broke this vow. I mean, he fought with Eneru, right? And Zoro was struck with one of his lightning attacks and lost consciousness, right? Luffy defeated that bastard. So didn't Zoro lose and break his vow? If so, then shouldn't he has some serious mental breakdown? Or maybe I am wrong? So can anybody explain it to me? :)

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well, in manga people say things like "i'll never lose to you / again" all the time, so perhaps he wasn't that serious? Or he didn't see it as a loss because neither of them died? Anyway, it's not that easy to get Zoro to give up if there's work to be done still ^^ ( that won't get him closer to his goal... )

Sodom_Child

Reaction score
I thought Zoro's man of his (s)word ;). Oda makes everything on purpose in One Piece and when he makes Zoro to say that he won't lose to anyone, Zoro shouldn't lose to anyone. And for 200 chapters or less (or more:) he didn't.
His dream is to be the best swordsman in the world, to do this he has to defeat Mihawk. And I am sure that when he will meet Mihawk again he will say somethin like 'Since our last fight I hasn't lost to anyone and I won't never lose, because I'm going to be the best swordsman!'.

And after fight with Mihawk Zoro didn't die, but he lost. The other thing is that deaths in One Piece are as rare as Chocobos in the real world :)

I know that ppl in manga often say 'i'll never lose again' and this kind'a stuff, but I thought One Piece is different. When I saw Eneru's powet I thought 'OK, Zoro stay away from him or he's gonna kick your ass', but he had to attack, because it is the way he is. I was kind'a dissapointed seein Zoro down and knowing that Luffy will take care of Eneru and Zoro will be left to only watch it.
Can someone prove me wrong? :)

Reloaded

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
I think Zoro meant when he fights another swordsman because he said i will never lose again and i will become the best swordsman i think he meant he wont loste to another swordsman and he hasnt yet.

Lohnt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
While I understand people's argument of "only against swordsmen," I don't buy it. When I first saw him lose to Enel almost a year ago, I thought wtf? Zoro pledged he'd never lose, and he lost, that's all :/ And unfortunately he had a chance to beat him because he grabbed the kairoseki from Wipers boot. However he did just finish fighting Wiper, Ohm, the dog, the clone guys, etc.

Strawhat_4491

Reaction score
Country
United States
  I think Zoro meant that he would never lose to another swordsman. Eneru did'nt count in his vow because he was'nt a swordsman, that's why he fought so hard to defeat Mr.1 in Alabasta to keep his vow and get stronger. Eneru was just in his way and he wanted to fight and lost.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Mr. 1 wasn't a swordsman either, he could have given up.

But his resolve was that he would defeat him to cut steel.
His resolve against Enel should have been to cut the elements, it wasn't he lost.
Prove me wrong? Was Mr 1 not an assassin rather than a swordsman?

SchmoDawg

Reaction score
refii said:
Mr. 1 wasn't a swordsman either, he could have given up.

But his resolve was that he would defeat him to cut steel.
His resolve against Enel should have been to cut the elements, it wasn't he lost.
Prove me wrong? Was Mr 1 not an assassin rather than a swordsman?
Yeah he wasn't a swordsman, He was a Blademan. Basically he turned his body into swords so to speak. It doesn't matter if he's an assassin, that doesn't mean you can't be a swordsman. (ie. Samurai or Ninjas) It wouldn't matter if he tried to cut elements, a logia user can be cut or shot and still return to normal. Plus how the hell could a sword do anything to lightning, the blade would just electricute the wielder.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
... *sigh*

1) When Zoro was explaining his resolve against Mr 1, he said don't you understand as a swordsman or something to that effect, and Mr 1 responded " No because I'm not a swordsman, i'm an assassin, and my blades aren't my only weapon, my entire body is a weapon so don't consider me a swordsman."

2) The red book or whatever it's called said Mihawk can cut the elements, thus he is able to defeat a Logia.
That's what I meant by learning to cut the elements, learn to cut the elements, it's no different from learning to cut the air with a beam or cutting steel, it's just another skill you have to acquire.

So no after you learn the technique you wouldn't get electricuted, and the opponent can't just turn into his/her element.

SchmoDawg

Reaction score
refii said:
... *sigh*

1) When Zoro was explaining his resolve against Mr 1, he said don't you understand as a swordsman or something to that effect, and Mr 1 responded " No because I'm not a swordsman, i'm an assassin, and my blades aren't my only weapon, my entire body is a weapon so don't consider me a swordsman."

2) The red book or whatever it's called said Mihawk can cut the elements, thus he is able to defeat a Logia.
That's what I meant by learning to cut the elements, learn to cut the elements, it's no different from learning to cut the air with a beam or cutting steel, it's just another skill you have to acquire.

So no after you learn the technique you wouldn't get electricuted, and the opponent can't just turn into his/her element.
Whoa thats cool as hell, I haven't read any of the databooks. I wonder if he'll ever learn that, cause it seems like most of the time its just Luffy fighting the logia users. I actually also remember remember Mr. 1 saying something to that extent now that you say that. Are the databooks scanlated???

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Yes, I actually downloaded them and never got around to reading them through -_-

Umm, let me think, it was either the AP forums, or maybe the OP manga V2 forums that hosted it, either way just do a google/torrent search for it, and I'm sure you'll find it. If not, let me know I'll e-mail it to you.

Edit nevermind, I was thinking of the Colorwalk books, I'm not sure if the red book is translated, but people have certainly posted certain pie charts.. umm no the star diagram type charts (where an angle is bigger at the corresponding characteristic) on message boards I visit.

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I think I really kind of believed that Zoro would never lose to a "swordsman" or people who uses swords as a weapon.  I mean, everytime he fights a "non-swordsman" he'll just put 100% at most.  But again a very tough swordsperson like Mr.1, he'll put 150%!  Man, didn't you realized he's been overkilled in that fight for about 2 or 3 times!  And it was such a very climatic event, you know, Zoro discovering how to cut steels, it was just so EXCITING.  I wish Naruto was as awesome as that!

Note: Best "swordsman", in other words the best sword wielder not FIGHTER in the world. Best swordsman can LOSE to non-swordsman!

hyper_megaman

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
zoro's aim was to be the best swordsman in the world.

let's revise that sentence

to be the most powerful person at using swords as weapons

even if he loses to eneru he's still the best swordsman in the world, eneru's no swordsman, he fights using his fruit mostly

so perhaps if like ace goes 'i'll become the best logiaman in the world!' and goes 'i'll never lose to anyone ever again', then i'd expect eneru to count for him

but not for zoro

Efreet

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
i don't think Zoro lost to Eneru because Eneru zapped him before Zoro could even take out his swords...

or am i mitaken?

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
hyper_megaman said:
zoro's aim was to be the best swordsman in the world.

let's revise that sentence

to be the most powerful person at using swords as weapons

even if he loses to eneru he's still the best swordsman in the world, eneru's no swordsman, he fights using his fruit mostly

so perhaps if like ace goes 'i'll become the best logiaman in the world!' and goes 'i'll never lose to anyone ever again', then i'd expect eneru to count for him

but not for zoro
Indeed, even if he lost to Luffy he would still be considered the best swordsman in the world. Mihawk is currently the best but surely he is no stronger than Whitebeard. What Zoro meant when he actually lost is that he'll never lose a "sword" fight again.

jeffhmwong

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Awww...just to be the best swordsman?

I tot his vow was to be the strongest warrior ever....

Since when he revised that?

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
J@ffzz said:
Awww...just to be the best swordsman?

I tot his vow was to be the strongest warrior ever....

Since when he revised that?
Strongest Warrior? Isn't that the job for the King of Pirates?

Mugiwara_no_Jack

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Germany
When you look that way on the situation you can say he already lost against Arlong ;)

It is a vow for becoming the greatest swordsman so he can't and won't lose to another swordsman ;)

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Mugiwara_no_Jack said:
When you look that way on the situation you can say he already lost against Arlong ;)

It is a vow for becoming the greatest swordsman so he can't and won't lose to another swordsman ;)
Indeed. He puts 150% when fighting against an opponent ( as long as that foe is carrying a sword). He cannot claim to be the best "swordsman" if he was defeated by another "swordsman". In other words, he has to keep winning at swords.

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
As all of you said. Zoro is aiming to be the greatest swordsman, so he should never lose to other swordsman.

Anyways, he still lost, but it was Enel, so it wasn't really a fair match from the start.. I didn't take this "break vow" so hard..