European Comics | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

European Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Now that we have a American comics subforum, we don't have any non-asia related comic threads in the General Entertainment anymore. But I do know that we also have some fans of European comics at MH. Let's use this thread to talk about Bande dessinée, Komiks, Historieta, Fumetto, Tegneserie, Tecknad serie, Stripverhalen and any other kind of European comics.

As for me, right after Manga (which is offtopic here >.>) I'm mostly into German comics and French BDs 'cause I growed up with them. Most of the popular ones have also a animated series or movie adaption, which is pretty good.

Recently I started reading German Manga-like comics (which is ontopic here <.<) and found out that we have some talented so called "Mangaka" in Germany and this branch is growing fast :amuse

I'll try to list what I've read so far. But I'm busy this week, so you have to wait^^

Anyways, what do you read? May you recommend anything or ask for a recommendation?

Have fun to dicuss all about European comics :luv

Lohnt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I used to love Asterix and Obelisk... I never got to watch that live action movie.
And Tin tin was cool too.

The only comics to ever come out of Greece were either dirty, or political so.. I didn't really get into them until I was a teenager, and even then they aren't really noteworthy.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I guess titles like Asterix & Obelix, Tin Tin or Smurf is internationally popular. I like the western comics like Lucky Luke, Yakari and Blueberry.

refii said:
The only comics to ever come out of Greece were either dirty, or political so.. I didn't really get into them until I was a teenager, and even then they aren't really noteworthy.
The comics scene in my country is not that great. We got indie comics and people with ideas, too bad they're merely ideas left without any execution.

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France
Being french, I grew up reading bandes dessinées all the time (well, I even learned to read with Asterix ^o^), and though I'm more into mangas right now, I still like to discover some new BDs from time to time. Unfortunately, they are getting quite expensive lately, and I'd rather spend 12€ on two volumes of manga than on one BD :noworry I'll try to recommend good ones to you, but I fear most of the things I'll tell you about aren't sold outside of France, so...^^"

refii said:
I used to love Asterix and Obelisk... I never got to watch that live action movie.
The first movie was really bad, but the second one was absolutely hilarious. But unfortunately it's all on a kind of humor that probably wouldn't survive the translation...^^"

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
ichimaru_gin_n_tonic said:
I like the western comics like Lucky Luke, Yakari and Blueberry.
hmmm ... Yakari sounds so familiar ... is it the little native American with the black&white horse?

Xophien said:
Unfortunately, they are getting quite expensive lately, and I'd rather spend 12€ on two volumes of manga than on one BD
True. My bookstore wanted to sell me Lanfeust first volume for 12,60 Euro.You pay way to much for a single volume, no wonder so many people stick with scans.
Compared with my last Manga order: I payed 2,50 Euro for each of my eight Marmelade Boy tanks and 3,50 Euro for another oneshot, then something around 6 Euro shipping => 29,50 Euro for 9 tankōbons incl. shipping costs >.>

Xophien said:
I'll try to recommend good ones to you, but I fear most of the things I'll tell you about aren't sold outside of France, so...^^"
Please don't hesitate. Recently I've read a list of German comics published in France and was very surprised how much title actually are known over there.

Xophien said:
The first movie was really bad, but the second one was absolutely hilarious. But unfortunately it's all on a kind of humor that probably wouldn't survive the translation...^^"
The cleopatra one? Yes, that's a good one^^
And don't worry, maybe we don't get all french jokes but they put in some German related things instead. I can always laugh when watching them :D

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
eni said:
hmmm ... Yakari sounds so familiar ... is it the little native American with the black&white horse?
You are correct! It was my favourite when i was a kid, probably because he had a talking horse. :D

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Unfortunately I have never read any European comics, although the one I would like to the most I think is England's 2000 AD magazines that seems to be the source of many of the fine writers that come to work for American comics (including Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, and others.) It's also where Judge Dredd first appears.

Other than that you guys will have to educate me, because this is a subject I know next to nothing about. :(

A little suggestion though for eni, maybe create a list of mentioned comics under each nationality in the first post sometimes. Just for fun reference. If people see something that isn't there maybe they will mention it.

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France
Ah, if there is one that I'm 100% sure that it's sold outside of France, and a great one with that, it's Thorgal. It's been ongoing for more than 25 years, I think, with the volume 29 released earlier this year. It's a fantasy BD, set in Norse background an mythology, and it is more or less to the french BD what the Lord of the Rings is to literature :amuse

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Is it based on Thor, the Thunder God? (Sounds like Thor of Marvel Comics.)

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I do know that Marvel's got a branch in UK, or something. That's where Captain Britain was spawned! Psylocke's (:luv :drool :spaz) twin brother!

I don't read much European comics though. But I have read Asterix and Obelisk. Gotta love them. <3

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gold Knight said:
A little suggestion though for eni, maybe create a list of mentioned comics under each nationality in the first post sometimes. Just for fun reference. If people see something that isn't there maybe they will mention it.
Oki, that's a good idea :kkthumbs

Gold Knight said:
Is it based on Thor, the Thunder God? (Sounds like Thor of Marvel Comics.)
(Marvel's Thor is one of the very few American comics I really dislike >.<)
Thorgal is a very good one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorgal

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I'll start listing some italian comic I read Dylan Dog, Dampyr, Gea. Dylan Dog was exceptional, some issue was also published in USA by Dark Horse.

I'll add details on the comics later.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
eni said:
(Marvel's Thor is one of the very few American comics I really dislike >.<)
Oh? :( Well, every Marvel title has good runs and bad runs, and then some have horrible runs. But that's off-topic...

Judging by that wiki article it does look like something I'd enjoy. Has it been translated to English?

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gold Knight said:
Judging by that wiki article it does look like something I'd enjoy. Has it been translated to English?
Not just "looking" but reading, otousan :D -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorgal#English_version

Gold Knight said:
Oh? :( Well, every Marvel title has good runs and bad runs, and then some have horrible runs. But that's off-topic..
I'll visit the AC section after the xmas stress is over, I promise :)

rykarreolacr

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Luckas said:
I'll start listing some italian comic I read Dylan Dog, Dampyr, Gea. Dylan Dog was exceptional, some issue was also published in USA by Dark Horse.

I'll add details on the comics later.
Dylan Dog is the best Italian comic ever, and my favorite comic!!!! It's so hard to find here, but every time I manage to find an issue or special I read it several times. :p

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
This thread has been a quiet. Maybe some links will help this thread back to life.
For Asterix:
Code:
http://cybertyros.info/listd.php?language=en&cat=Asterix
For Tintin:
Code:
http://cybertyros.info/listd.php?language=en&cat=Tintin

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Haiti
Asterix and Obelix used to be my favorites back in the day. There was a french comic about pirates but I forgot the name of it. I used to read Tintin as well.

zypher

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Anyone heard of a French comic called "Captain Biceps"??

He is just to fun to read :gigglebunny

bilheteira

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
what about spirou and fantasio?
and the marsupalami? hum?

and anyone remenbers Petz? it was a sea animal that rided a boat i think it was norwegian...

and the wonderfull artists like frezatto and enki bilal?

they are trully something nice to the eye to see

Status
Not open for further replies.