Yea I completely agree with you. That was actually the point of my comment. I was trying to show that physical damage taken doesn't nessecarily correlate to durability. August may have been pierced with a knife but despite it going straight through his heart he shook it off like it was nothing and proceeded to nuke the living hell out of Natsu and co.
I can agree with you to say that August is powerful. I'm not saying his durability is shit either.
And by the way, this comment isn't necessarily directed at you.
But at the same time, there is nothing that disproves Gildartz being on or around the same tier as August and Irene.
After all, there is reasonable evidence to assume that Gildartz is at least Irene's level, and maybe even August himself.
____________________________________________________________
@Everyone else
I've read all of the posts recently, but haven't decided to reply to anyone in particular. This isn't directed towards only one person.
However, let me go over a few things that were said above:
1.) For those that say Irene has more AoE than Gildartz:
While it's true that Universe One spans a large surface area, you can't deny that it does absolutely no damage. Irene being able to move Acnologia from one place to another isn't an impressive feat and cannot be compared to Gildartz.
While Gildartz's attacks spans a smaller radius, he
actually does damage (and major destruction too).
What Irene did was pretty much useless. The only things she gained from Universe One was pissing off Acnologia.
In a real 1-on-1 battle, that does no good, it just prolongs the fight. At this point, Acnologia can just fly to Irene and oneshot her.
In conclusion, to say who has more AoE: Gildartz or Irene?
Technically, it'd be Gildartz because he actually does damage whereas Irene is simply just displacement.
Literally speaking, it'd be Irene, but you have to remember that AoE is useless if it does no damage.
Which is more useful?
Wahl's skinny barrage of bullets or Invel's large blizzard?
I think you guys get my point here.
2.) I'm not going to lie here... but all this talk about "mountain busting feats, town level feats, city level feats, etc." is starting to get really annoying.
This has been said over and over again, and I've seen some people argue against this faulted logic.
I don't know how many times I've stressed this, but those calculations are completely meaningless to me.
I'd rather use hype and portrayal to measure a character's strength/power than those calculations.
Long story short, there is no way of measuring damage and megatonnes through your computer screen's pixels and a real life photograph of a mountain.
I've analyzed the calculations before:
It is borderline absurd in my opinion to guess the height, width, and dimensions of a drawn panel and calculate the energy and explosiveness of an attack.
Not only is there a lot of guesswork involve, but the "original creators of those calculations" don't even have any concept about the way TNT works and the units they are using.
Their conversions are sloppy in my opinion and they have no credible foundation to the basis of their conversions and calculations.
If you want to measure Gildartz and August's feats through these calculations, then by all means, go ahead.
But I'll let you know right now that none of that will convince me.
3.) What happened to all of you guys that argued by "feats only"?
Literally, no more than a few months ago, a lot of you were participating in the debates of the Fairy Tail Tournament.
When you guys argued, all of you guys were so obsessed with using "feats only" to judge the strength/power of a character.
Right now, you guys are going against that.
The person with the better feats at the moment is Gildartz, no question about it.
Up to this point, August is as strong as he is based off of portrayal and hype.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Gray and Gildartz were eliminated extremely quickly in the tournament because they had no feats to back them up at the time.
The way it works when it comes to powerscaling is this:
The character with the better feats is the stronger/more powerful character until proven otherwise.
You guys are the ones that set this rule, not me.
Therefore since Gildartz has the better feats compared to August, he will be the superior one until August shows more feats for us to judge.
It's as simple as that.
If you guys want to say Gildartz is on par with August, that's understandable.
But saying that August is superior to Gildartz by miles is complete bullshit, especially when August currently lacks feats and has shown almost nothing for us to powerscale him.
Up to this point, the Spriggans have turned out to be a major disappointment.
The way Invel and Brandish performed was nowhere near to what we all expected from them.
So it's risky and pointless to assume so much from August when the dude has barely shown what he is capable of.