- Joined
- Sep 16, 2016
- Messages
- 5,568
- Reaction score
- 10,567
- Age
- 31
- Country
-
Much appreciated.I'm sorry. Invel did say everyone possess it, not everyone necessarily uses it. Sorry for the confusion. The most accurate wording is found here, as they do a word-for-word translation.
What I'm saying is that darkness is just negative emotions. Everyone has that inside of them. I imagine some people are better than others at turning those emotions into power. Though you don't necessarily need to be cursed by Ankhseram to do it, because that is exceedingly rare and would rule out Gray. Maybe Ankhseram's curse does provide an extra source of darkness, but that's pretty much something that applies exclusively to Zeref. Nor do you need to learn devil slaying magic, because that would rule out Zeref himself. Nor do you have to use a demon's curse power, because that would honestly rule out both Gray and Zeref.
I mean, they probably do. There's a bunch of evil guys running around. I imagine the guys at Avatar who use Black Magic use darkness too. Like I said, the dragon seeds are also darkness. It stands to reason that characters like Acnologia and Irene are using darkness too. Natsu when he was in END mode was almost certainly tapping into darkness (both from the seeds, and from the fact he thought Lucy was dead). I would not be at all surprised if Jellal was using darkness back when he was evil. As for Erza and Juvia using darkness? I mean, yeah. They felt negative emotions and got stronger. In Juvia's case, she did get significantly stronger. In Erza's case, she got stronger over feeling no emotion at all. However, whatever power she gets from negative emotions generally pales in comparison over her typical righteous nakama fuel. Darkness isn't as great of a source of strength for Erza and Juvia because they don't have as much negative stuff going on in their head. Well Erza might, but she finds a way to spin almost everything into a lesson about nakama.
I don't think it's a matter of being better than someone else. Gray and Zeref are the only ones who do it, which is why Invel linked them.
Using Darkness is exceedingly rare too in this manga. As for ruling out Gray, his DeS magic should fill the roll of Zeref's curse just fine, especially given the relation Invel made with it and Darkness. And Ankserhams curse providing an extra source of darkness, confirms that darkness can be in fact more than negative emotions. Given the clear difference in Gray's negative emotions and say, Jellal or Erza, I think it's pretty clear that there is more to Gray's darkness just like Zeref's, likely due to DeS magic, which is why Invel and Mashima takes specific note of it in Gray and link that to Zeref.
I dont see how the dragon seeds prove your point. Even if I were to take Igneel's meaning as actual darkness, that just distinguishes it from PoF even further. Dragon Seeds don't have anything to do with negative emotions or positive ones for that matter.
And that's exactly why I think it's different. Why did Gray get this whole darkness spiel if everyone else can, and has, used it? Why link him to Zeref? Why link it to DeS magic? Mashima feeling the need to specifically explain the phenomena that was about to happen to Gray, to me implies it's not an every day thing like anger PoF. I mean Mashima could have just had Invel kill Juvia and be done with it, Gray gets angry and beat Invel's ass, standard anger PoF that we've all seen before. Why have the dialogue explaining the function of darkness? Why have the monologue of "I need to make him unleash the darkness hidden inside him"? That's not normal.