@Nemispelled where u been?
I'm still hanging around this subsection/forum. I just haven't been as engaged in any power ranking discussions post-Alvarez since much of it is either plagued with assumptions or simply doesn't make sense with all of the past BS from Alvarez Arc.
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of people power ranking by the size/AoE of attacks and throwing out terms like city level, country level, continental level, and multi-continental level to justify their argument. In my opinion, judging a character off of their
AoE alone is effectively meaningless because it doesn't take into account the damage output, casting time, exaggeration/limitations of manga panels, and the existence of glass cannon characters (high destructive capacity, yet fodder durability/defense).
For example, Irene's Universe One is hailed for its massive AoE, but the only feat it ever accomplished in the manga was screwing over Bloodman's last ditch effort to kill Gajeel. While others praised that spell, I was rather unimpressed by the end results.
I even remember a time when people used to regularly power rank characters based on the megatonnes of an attack, which they measured from mere pixels on a manga panel... Personally, I'm not interested in debating those types of discussions.
Aside from the above, I also tend to have unpopular opinions -
namely, I never bought into the whole "Darkness Gray" deal.
To me, the term never made any sense since plenty of characters go through rage-filled or bloodlusted fights in the manga, yet none of them have ever had a "fanmade title" attached to their name. Even though I'm well aware that the instance was supposed to highlight the impact of "Juvia's death", it was really no different from any other regular adrenaline rush portrayed in the manga,
which is still within the extent of a character's own power.
And you can see why that would be a problem if I participated in the current battle/power-ranking discussions.
Also, contrary to what others have said, I don't see how the recent Laxus vs. Erza fight proved that they were both on Gildartz's tier... At most, the only thing that came out of that fight was the power difference between the two. I don't see how we could extrapolate those feats to compare their powers to other characters who were never apart of their fight.
Unless anybody thought that either Erza or Laxus were already established to be Gildartz's tier before the fight, it's impossible to judge their placement in the overall power ranking scale if we don't have anything else to reference.
The only conclusion that came out of that battle is the direct comparison between Erza and Laxus, as well as any other opponents that they have faced in the manga thus far.
Anyways, glad to see that others are still getting a kick out of this power-ranking thread. While I don't have many opinions to offer myself, I'm still willing to see what others have to say.