Discussion - Fairy Tail's Strongest Duo | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Fairy Tail's Strongest Duo

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Most of the time, its hinted or outright stated that Erza and Mirajane are supposedly Fairy Tail's Strongest Duo. They're certainly fearsome and powerful.
However with Gary's newly found Devil Slayer Magic and those impressive chapters with him in combat and then teaming up with Natsu against Mard Geer, I believe He and Natsu are FairyTails strongest combo.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

milek

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Serbia
My vote goes to Natsu and Gray. We jet have to see Natsu full power- dragon force

Last edited by a moderator:

sarutobi_sensei

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Actually, I think it's Natsu and Erza. Put those 2 together and they are unstoppable.

Mohsen

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
And I think it is Natsu and Wendy in a few years when Wendy matures enough. I mean wind and fire says it all and when both enter DF no one would be able to stop them.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Actually, I think it's Natsu and Erza. Put those 2 together and they are unstoppable.
Possible but its not like they're regarded as a team like erza and mirajane or natsu and gray.
Gildarts and mystogan/laxus or one of the four from the poll would pretty much be invincible.

Mohsen

Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
Possible but its not like they're regarded as a team like erza and mirajane or natsu and gray.
Gildarts and mystogan/laxus or one of the four from the poll would pretty much be invincible.
Wouldn't Gildarts power make it kinda impossible for him to be good in a tag team? I mean how good can he a team of Gildarts + anyone be if Gildarts could kill his own partner cause of lack of control over his power. Even when all of FT teamed up against Acnologia Gildarts was the only one who didn't take part in the attacks.

Erza and Natsu would IMO get trashed by Juvia and Gajeel. Erza is an all you can eat buffet for Gajeel and Natsu can't burn water even if he does Juvia can tank it. So Erza+Natsu isn't as unstoppable as some may think.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Wouldn't Gildarts power make it kinda impossible for him to be good in a tag team? I mean how good can he a team of Gildarts + anyone be if Gildarts could kill his own partner cause of lack of control over his power. Even when all of FT teamed up against Acnologia Gildarts was the only one who didn't take part in the attacks.

Erza and Natsu would IMO get trashed by Juvia and Gajeel. Erza is an all you can eat buffet for Gajeel and Natsu can't burn water even if he does Juvia can tank it. So Erza+Natsu isn't as unstoppable as some may think.
Was it ever stated Gildarts didn't have control over his power? I don't recall that.

And no, juvia can't hold a candle to Natsu. Like at all. He'll simply overwhelm her. Not to mention he has lightning which would toast juvia.

You know DS can only eat the elements though their mouth right? Erza has ability so summon hundreds of those. She can also cut through metal and she channels her magic through the swords. Her armor also gives her access to numerous elements like fire, lightning, water etc. If she was just someone that could use different Swords, she wouldn't be a renowned S. class mage.

I agree that erza and natsu aren't undefeatable though. But only by a team that has gildarts as one half.

Mohsen

Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
http://www.mangapanda.com/135-58079-10/fairy-tail/chapter-205.html
gildarts says he isn't good in holding back which indicates his powers are hard to control to only use it for a friendly battle.
http://www.mangapanda.com/135-58079-17/fairy-tail/chapter-205.html
gildarts uses more power than he intended which would have killed natsu if gildarts would have used another technique.

From this pages I got the impression that Gildarts power is so great he can't completly handle it.

Does't Juvia has a logia body like One Piece characters. I mean most attacks go through her.

About Gajeel. I wonder if Erza can cut through Gajeel's once in a lifetime used iron scales.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
http://www.mangapanda.com/135-58079-10/fairy-tail/chapter-205.html
gildarts says he isn't good in holding back which indicates his powers are hard to control to only use it for a friendly battle.
http://www.mangapanda.com/135-58079-17/fairy-tail/chapter-205.html
gildarts uses more power than he intended which would have killed natsu if gildarts would have used another technique.

From this pages I got the impression that Gildarts power is so great he can't completly handle it.

Does't Juvia has a logia body like One Piece characters. I mean most attacks go through her.

About Gajeel. I wonder if Erza can cut through Gajeel's once in a lifetime used iron scales.
Yeah it seems that way. However, I think he meant it as more of a situation where he has to fight a much weaker opponent. It doesn't seem like he can't control it per se but when he fights an opponent, holding back is tough.

Something like how aizen said "its tough to hold back my power so I don't crush an ant"

So I think its not like he would unintentionally hurt his team mate but of the opponent isn't strong enough, he can't hold back to fight on a similar level with them.

Well juvia's power seems to work a little like a logia but water is weak against lightning which natsu has.

She might be able to cut him. Or if she can't she could use other methods like the elements from her armor.

Mohsen

Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
Yeah it seems that way. However, I think he meant it as more of a situation where he has to fight a much weaker opponent. It doesn't seem like he can't control it per se but when he fights an opponent, holding back is tough.

Something like how aizen said "its tough to hold back my power so I don't crush an ant"

So I think its not like he would unintentionally hurt his team mate but of the opponent isn't strong enough, he can't hold back to fight on a similar level with them.

Well juvia's power seems to work a little like a logia but water is weak against lightning which natsu has.

She might be able to cut him. Or if she can't she could use other methods like the elements from her armor.
http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/299/19
doesn't this chapter not also confirm that Gildarts can't control his powers completely? I mean he falls and destroys a whole village with his powers. Gildarts like Zeref seems to have a hard time controling the high amount of magical power he has.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
http://www.mangapanda.com/fairy-tail/299/19
doesn't this chapter not also confirm that Gildarts can't control his powers completely? I mean he falls and destroys a whole village with his powers. Gildarts like Zeref seems to have a hard time controling the high amount of magical power he has.
Yes it seems so to an extent. Like when he gets carried away. Actually IIRC when he was first introduced, the town had created a special setup for him since he basically just used to destroy the town whenever he came around. So you do have a point there. It does seem like its a bit difficult to control. Atleast, seeing as he is that strong, he could tell his partner to stand back while he takes care of everything or tell his partner to take the fight elsewhere to not get caught up.

Fugutaiten

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
zeref + Hades

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's hard to say because we haven't seen much indication that any of the four are stronger than the others. Gray definitely has a power up with devil slaying magic, and Natsu now able to go into dragonforce mode is a force to be reckoned with. Erza is very powerful herself... and Mirajane, although powerful, I'm not sure how she places with the other three.

If we're looking at FT duos in general, Gildarts + any of the more powerful FT members will win out. But Gildarts aside, I wouldn't forget about Laxus either, but I wouldn't know who to pair Laxus up with since there are so many other powerful members in the guild.

I'm inclined to say Laxus + DF Natsu would kill.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
It's hard to say because we haven't seen much indication that any of the four are stronger than the others. Gray definitely has a power up with devil slaying magic, and Natsu now able to go into dragonforce mode is a force to be reckoned with. Erza is very powerful herself... and Mirajane, although powerful, I'm not sure how she places with the other three.

If we're looking at FT duos in general, Gildarts + any of the more powerful FT members will win out. But Gildarts aside, I wouldn't forget about Laxus either, but I wouldn't know who to pair Laxus up with since there are so many other powerful members in the guild.

I'm inclined to say Laxus + DF Natsu would kill.
Laxus certainly is strong, but I'm not sure if he and natsu would fare better than Natsu and gray. Natsu does already have lightning so pairing with laxus might not give too much fruit. Gray however has ice which would offer a different source than natsu's fire/lightning. Also its a bit interesting to note that laxus fought tempest and defeated him after some exchange, gray on the other hand one hit KO'ed etherious tempest with no difficulties. Perhaps that could be attributed to his devil slayer magic but its very impressive nonetheless. There's their showing against Mard geer where gray and Natsu were perfectly in sync and teamwork. The type of sync that Laxus and Natsu as a team might not be able to replicate.

Impossibility

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Bahamas
I think Erza and Mirajane seem to stand out because they're pretty effective as a duo. They're both pretty versatile. And it's rather simple for them to let loose without getting in each other's way with their comparable fighting styles, which is probably the most obvious benefit of the pairing. The biggest issue with determining the ability of pair is that Erza has considerable hype with the most ridiculous plot armour ever, while Mira is the exact opposite with a long list of accolades with plot seeming to make a point of hindering her at any and every available opportunity.

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Laxus certainly is strong, but I'm not sure if he and natsu would fare better than Natsu and gray. Natsu does already have lightning so pairing with laxus might not give too much fruit. Gray however has ice which would offer a different source than natsu's fire/lightning. Also its a bit interesting to note that laxus fought tempest and defeated him after some exchange, gray on the other hand one hit KO'ed etherious tempest with no difficulties. Perhaps that could be attributed to his devil slayer magic but its very impressive nonetheless. There's their showing against Mard geer where gray and Natsu were perfectly in sync and teamwork. The type of sync that Laxus and Natsu as a team might not be able to replicate.
I agree in that as a team, Natsu and Gray work well off each other as we've seen recently, and would be a very effective duo. Like I said, a lot of top ranked members of FT are so strong that the differences between them as individuals are minute (Gildarts aside). But I also agree with Impo's assessment which makes it difficult to really ascertain, out of those two options, would be the better one. Though my gut would have to go with Natsu/Gray since I feel like Mashima likes to downplay Mira a lot although she has so much potential.

Laxus getting taken out in the Tartaros arc was Mashima wanting to take out a strong FT member that he didn't know what to do with. He's done this before in his arcs, so I'm not interpreting him being defeated by Tempest as him not being as strong as some of the other members.

Mohsen

Reaction score
Country
Storm's End
Isn't Laxus alone stronger than any team that consists of Natsu +anyone else? I mean in the Fantasia arc it was pretty clear that Laxus alone> Natsu+Gajeel. Furthermore you have to consider that Laxus can use more than only lightning magic accroding to his profile and he has the troll spell Fairy Law which should own anyone.
Laxus probably can use flame magic too which would make it possible for him to awaken DF Natsu and Natsu can fuel Laxus with lightning so this due would be overkill. The same way natsu and wendy would be overkill due to their complementary elements.

Natsu No Yuusha

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
gratsu of course
btw i don't remember mira fought beside erza in a battle before
only once in tartarus arc but wasn't enough for making a duo

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
The Natsu + Gray duo was certainly a notable duo.
But for me, theoretically, it'd be hard to go past a Gildarts + Laxus duo or a Gildarts + Post 1 year time-skip Natsu. The latter especially would be incredibly strong.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well yeah, Laxus + Gildarts is overkill. They are superior to any other duo hands-down but they aren't seen as a team and they haven't fought together before. Natsu and Gray regularly team up and occasionally we get Mira and Erza.